Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
As much as I dislike the Electoral College...

If Hillary actually loving campaigned in Wisconsin, and didn't wait til the last few weeks to hit up Michigan, the Republicans would be the ones complaining about the EC, not the Dems.

Trump just won because of people's distrust and hatred for the federal government, alongside racism before anyone jumps on me. If a huge push to get rid of the EC happened now, that would only make matters worse.

The EC is workable. We just had a poo poo candidate this go around, as many people tried saying but were ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mixodorian posted:

If Hillary actually loving campaigned in Wisconsin, and didn't wait til the last few weeks to hit up Michigan, the Republicans would be the ones complaining about the EC, not the Dems.

Trump just won because of people's distrust and hatred for the federal government, alongside racism before anyone jumps on me. If a huge push to get rid of the EC happened now, that would only make matters worse.

The EC is workable. We just had a poo poo candidate this go around, as many people tried saying but were ignored.

no i'm pretty sure the EC would still be bad even if democrats won

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mixodorian posted:

If Hillary actually loving campaigned in Wisconsin, and didn't wait til the last few weeks to hit up Michigan,

...donald trump would have won PA and would still be president.

seems fairly clear that ec, as of now, is tilted against democrats. our voters are poorly distributed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

It doesn't matter because it's a terrible tactic for getting people to not think of you as the party of costal elites.

bit late for that champ

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Concerned Citizen posted:

...donald trump would have won PA and would still be president.

seems fairly clear that ec, as of now, is tilted against democrats. our voters are poorly distributed.

maybe you shouldn't hosed over everyone in the country outside of 2 cities. you don';t give a gently caress about flint, just like the liberal fuckstrains in new york.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I like how the two posters that replied to me refuse to acknowledge any blowback that would come with getting rid of the EC.

It's almost like, you guys are in a bubble?

I say this as someone from Manhattan.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cyron posted:

maybe you shouldn't hosed over everyone in the country outside of 2 cities. you don';t give a gently caress about flint, just like the liberal fuckstrains in new york.

liberals

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you're right, you should never even consider changing the EC because it might be hard and require effort.

also god forbid doing it in the future, it has to be now or not at all

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
democrat owned by lovely globalist economic policy owning non urban coastal urban areas: the ec is bad lol

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's hard like how repealing the 2nd Amendment would be hard but even harder than that. Don't waste your time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

It's hard like how repealing the 2nd Amendment would be hard but even harder than that. Don't waste your time.

yeah, don't bother doing hard things if you can't do them easily and immediately

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Or ever.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dad you should step out of the way of this bull charging straight for your nuts

no son, that sounds hard plus we probably couldn't do it anyway

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

silly libs, its just the natural order of things that a vote in wyoming counts twice as much as a vote in california, just shows how out of touch you are that u dont understand middle america's deep seated affection for the electoral college

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

in fact, the very idea of not getting my balls annihilated by this charging bull makes me furious

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm glad we elected a coastal elite globalist to be our President.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
don't you understand that white midwesterners are the only true americans and that they inherently deserve more attention and power than blacks, latinos, college graduates, and coastal poors god

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
I also think the electoral college should be scrapped because gently caress fixing actual problems

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

in fact, the very idea of not getting my balls annihilated by this charging bull makes me furious

democrats.txt

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

look the founders created the bull charge for a reason and we have to trust in their wisdom even if it means being horribly maimed.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

dear god the dems are doomed

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh my god dad are you okay

yes son, though i will never walk again and peeing feels like being submerged in lava i think i will survive

dad do you think we should make sure this doesn't happen again

how dare you

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Mixodorian posted:

That doesn't explain why this has happened twice in 20 years.

Or why the Rust Belt aka the Reagan democrats hosed us over in 1980 with the Reagan administration.

That by the way preceded the impoverishment of our educational system, more jobs disappearing in the Midwest with no replacements and no solutions, unchecked military interventionism, Iran Contra, the War on Drugs etc. etc.

I know the EC isn't going anywhere.

The same way racism and vote suppression aren't going anywhere.

But let's not pretend our government isn't fundamentally regressive.

Hillary lived through Reagan so she should not have treated the Rust Belt as if it were a firewall, but blaming it all on her like its the first time we have gotten screwed over is ridiculous too.

It's a multi factorial problem.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mixodorian posted:

if hillary had won republicans would be complaining about blacks, mexicans, felons, dead people, and everyone else under the sun casting fraudulent ballots like they always do

the electoral college would be way down there on their list of grievances

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The Electoral College being garbage and stupid is kind of beside the point.

It has the appearance of a bunch of talking heads screaming about changing a game they just got their poo poo pushed in at, instead of being better at the game. This doesn't matter at all if you want to peel off Republicans, but this election was won (and lost) by the sliver of the country who is actually undecided; if I'm undecided (and I am, in some respects), this is a really bad way to start your pitch to get me to vote for you.

Functionally, anyway, repealing the EC and maintaining the rest of our current government is completely idiotic. If you have the political willpower to repeal it, you have the political willpower to scrap everything broken in our current system and just form a new government. Which sounds way more appealing to me.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Princess Di posted:

That doesn't explain why this has happened twice in 20 years.

Or why the Rust Belt aka the Reagan democrats hosed us over in 1980 with the Reagan administration.
Maybe they felt the disappointing years of Carter were not worth trying again idk though maybe they were out to gently caress up Grenada from the off lol

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The Electoral College being garbage and stupid is kind of beside the point.

It has the appearance of a bunch of talking heads screaming about changing a game they just got their poo poo pushed in at, instead of being better at the game. This doesn't matter at all if you want to peel off Republicans, but this election was won (and lost) by the sliver of the country who is actually undecided; if I'm undecided (and I am, in some respects), this is a really bad way to start your pitch to get me to vote for you.

Functionally, anyway, repealing the EC and maintaining the rest of our current government is completely idiotic. If you have the political willpower to repeal it, you have the political willpower to scrap everything broken in our current system and just form a new government. Which sounds way more appealing to me.

What if I told you...

That people actually want global government change and have only chosen this issue to talk about because it is the most recent in a string of abuses by the government of its populace.

That no one here believes that it will be easy, and most of us don't believe it's possible.

However it bears mentioning that its presence is harmful, like many other things that we mention here daily that are harmful elements of our government.

It's cool to be undecided, but maybe the whole electorate should have a voice rather than only the undecideds.

We are all part of this country, and not all of us get a voice - even by vote.

Now if it's merely a case of, well I'm comfortable with that.

That's fine too, but lay the issue where it belongs, that the EC being a slave clause that suppresses votes just isn't that much of a problem for you.

You see simply because it's fine for some people, doesn't mean it isn't harmful.

That is discounting the reality of many people when it's stated that people can't even acknowledge the various ways a system is broken merely because a few people are fine with it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Princess Di posted:

What if I told you...

That people actually want global government change and have only chosen this issue to talk about because it is the most recent in a string of abuses by the government of its populace.

That no one here believes that it will be easy, and most of us don't believe it's possible.

However it bears mentioning that its presence is harmful, like many other things that we mention here daily that are harmful elements of our government.

It's cool to be undecided, but maybe the whole electorate should have a voice rather than only the undecideds.

That's fine too, but lay the issue where it belongs, that the EC being a slave clause that suppresses votes just isn't that much of a problem for you.

You see simply because it's fine for some people, doesn't mean it isn't harmful.

That is discounting the reality of many people when it's stated that people can't even acknowledge the various ways a system is broken merely because a few people are fine with it.

This is a loving terrible script for a movie trailer.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

edit: lol whoops, not related to princess di post I just really liked this.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

jBrereton posted:

Maybe they felt the disappointing years of Carter were not worth trying again idk though maybe they were out to gently caress up Grenada from the off lol

Reagan pandered to them with lovely economic promises that were either ill informed or straight up deceitful while appealing to their xenophobia and lust for forever war.

Gosh that sounds familiar...

I can't quite...

It's on my fingertips...

Oh, right.

:smugdon:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Princess Di posted:

What if I told you...

IN A WORLD... WHERE THE LAWS OF LONG-DEAD MEN ARE UPHELD BY A FASCIST REGIME... A BRAVE FEW STAND APART...

"Ultimately direct democracy is the only tonic to the ills of our American republic"
"Sir this is a MacDonalds drive thru..."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Imagine Rambo except Princess Di and instead a police station, it's that 14 y/o Trump supporter's office next to the fortune teller.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Princess Di posted:

Reagan pandered to them with lovely economic promises that were either ill informed or straight up deceitful while appealing to their xenophobia and lust for forever war.
lol if you don't think the Hillary Campaign was just as xenophobic by the end, and was rejected because it stopped talking about jobs after Clinton nearly fuckin died on 9/11 and she decided to go on the offensive about Trump and The Russians despite the vast majority of Americans wanting peace with foreign nations, as they have always done since the Revolution.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The EC is hot garbage because its main purpose is to prevent someone like Trump, and it was perverted almost instantly after its creation by the states to not fulfill that purpose. I was really hoping enough people would go faithless on Trump to get an eventual Supreme Court case rolling on the Constitutionality of states requiring their electors to blindly follow their voters' will, but it didn't happen.

The original concept was actually quite genius. It's just that the states ruined it almost immediately. People bash the founders for not having perfect foresight, but having a system with an escape valve is pretty prescient.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

jBrereton posted:

lol if you don't think the Hillary Campaign was just as xenophobic by the end, and was rejected because it stopped talking about jobs after Clinton nearly fuckin died on 9/11 and she decided to go on the offensive about Trump and The Russians despite the vast majority of Americans wanting peace with foreign nations, as they have always done since the Revolution.

This vast majority of Americans you are talking about don't vote.

Probably because they know their votes don't really count.

Also we know (in retrospect) that Hillary had a flawed campaign but why is it when people talk about something else people pivot in here like Kellyanne Conway.

Fun fact, her political career and influence is dead. So the point of mentioning her when talking about where to go from here is...

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Princess Di posted:

Fun fact, her political career and influence is dead. So the point of mentioning her when talking about where to go from here is...

Those who do not learn from history something something I dunno, American Idol is on

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Those who do not learn from history something something I dunno, American Idol is on

I'm observing a selective appreciation for selective bits of history.

People are willfully ignoring the connection between the electoral college and slavery but are all too willing to talk about a disgraced political family whose vision for the party is dead, and whose leadership in the party has been successfully replaced.

The likelihood the dems will even run a woman candidate anytime soon has essentially been snuffed out at this point.

Meanwhile the EC is still here and not going anywhere.

But people prefer to stick to talking about an irrelevant political actor.

Makes you think...

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Fallen Hamprince posted:

silly libs, its just the natural order of things that a vote in wyoming counts twice as much as a vote in california, just shows how out of touch you are that u dont understand middle america's deep seated affection for the electoral college

3 times as much

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The EC is hot garbage because its main purpose is to prevent someone like Trump, and it was perverted almost instantly after its creation by the states to not fulfill that purpose. I was really hoping enough people would go faithless on Trump to get an eventual Supreme Court case rolling on the Constitutionality of states requiring their electors to blindly follow their voters' will, but it didn't happen.

The original concept was actually quite genius. It's just that the states ruined it almost immediately. People bash the founders for not having perfect foresight, but having a system with an escape valve is pretty prescient.

I take your point on that.

I do, I can get behind that sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

blamegame posted:

3 times as much

:beerpal:

• Locked thread