Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Shadow Hog posted:

Incidentally, recently bought that specific upscaler encoder to replace the cheapo Chinese $50 one that doesn't even have audio ports, but discovered that, on my Trinitron, it renders everything very, very green.

That said, the seller and I have been in contact over the issue, and I'm just biding my time until I can put into effect his suggestion of experimenting with a 75Ω resistor between each of the outputs and ground to see what happens. (Though confessedly, not having done anything circuitry-related since sophomore year of high school, I'm not entirely sure where "ground" is on this circuit - negative pole of the power supply?)
If you're talking about some analog SCART to Component thing, open it up and it likely has adjustable POTS inside. I have this one and it does, although I need to get some sort of test pattern to play through Genesis or Turbo Grafx to tune it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say this and not tell us what games it has with it. It's a requirement, dammit! :colbert:.
Games present: Mario Kart, SSB, Pokemon Stadium.
Games I know for a fact should also be there, and I will find out where: Mario 64, Tetrisphere, OoT, Blast Corps, F-Zero, Extreme-G, Starfox
Games that can stay gone: WWE games, Clayfighter

e: found them! Sadly, Blast Corps seems to be gone. Less sadly, so does Clayfighter.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 20, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Don't diss clay fighter. If you had the sculptors cut one, it'd be worth ten n64s.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a kid I unironically loved clayfighter 64 and thought it was funny, especially Santa's finishing move

edit: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pb-jMV11pA&t=400s

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 20, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

falz posted:

If you're talking about some analog SCART to Component thing, open it up and it likely has adjustable POTS inside. I have this one and it does, although I need to get some sort of test pattern to play through Genesis or Turbo Grafx to tune it properly
No, I'm talking about the one that was linked in the post directly above that one, which doesn't have potentiometers. I already have the one with pots, but I stripped the screwheads on some of them and I'm not convinced the colors are quite right (particularly with the green/fuchsia balance - greens seem a bit dark, reds seem a bit too fuchsia), hence why I was trying a different one.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

falz posted:

FYI those kind of "pots" are generally lowercase. POTS usually stands for "plain old telephone service" and refers to land lines.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

falz posted:

If you don't have an everdrive for either of those, here's a 240p test suite genesis cart. http://db-electronics.ca/product/240p-test-suite/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
welp. just pulled the trigger on a Super Gameboy 2.

Now to track down a copy of DK94.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

welp. just pulled the trigger on a Super Gameboy 2.

Now to track down a copy of DK94.

I have three copies for no reason. I'll send you one.

Let me track them down first though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have three copies for no reason. I'll send you one.

Let me track them down first though.

Wow. Thank you so much.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Caitlin posted:

FYI those kind of "pots" are generally lowercase. POTS usually stands for "plain old telephone service" and refers to land lines.
Oh yeah. I use the uppercase version about 100x more than the potentiometer version, slip of the tongue/fingers.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

the higher end ones like the one he got actually don't have any adjustments at all inside, they're supposed to be calibrated at the factory

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hopefully that and not some macrovision bullshit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a rule against selling modded original xboxes on the forums? Like from way back in the day? For some reason I swear I remember some really specific rule where people weren't allowed to sell them, and it got referenced in a previous retrogames thread, perhaps jokingly though.

I ask because with my retropies and every other device in my house that can emulate things, I don't really need so many xboxes anymore, and should probably sell my extras. They're softmodded, and obviously I wouldn't sell them loaded with games, but I think I'd rather get rid of them here than on craigslist.

Preferably to people local to the Seattle area since shipping would be a pain [insert joke about xbox size], but I will be down in the Portland/Salem area this weekend. I can throw in controllers and A/V cables too, I've got piles of them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

honestly I would just make a craigslist ad, goons are more likely to have a good emulation setup and won't pay as much I think

e:

MrLonghair posted:

Hopefully that and not some macrovision bullshit.

naw it's nothing like that, I mean the one he's talking about is made by a guy on a forum somewhere not a company or anything like that. a SCART-> component box should really not need any kind of adjustment

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 20, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

falz posted:

Oh yeah. I use the uppercase version about 100x more than the potentiometer version, slip of the tongue/fingers.

that I can certainly relate to, telecom is a soul sucking industry

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

honestly I would just make a craigslist ad, goons are more likely to have a good emulation setup and won't pay as much I think

Yeah, that's a good point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Do you have them upgraded with compatible larger hard drives? People would probably pay for that here, because it can be a bit of a pain to get that poo poo sorted out. And it's still the best way to play the rare and expensive Xbox games by far.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fishmech posted:

Do you have them upgraded with compatible larger hard drives? People would probably pay for that here, because it can be a bit of a pain to get that poo poo sorted out. And it's still the best way to play the rare and expensive Xbox games by far.

If I recall, one of them has like a 200 or 320 gig drive, and I think the other has a 160? I need to double check, it's been ages since I used them last.

And yes, it is a pain. As was how I did the first softmod, before I had a way to do the far easier save method, via IDE hot swap. Never again.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a rule against selling modded original xboxes on the forums? Like from way back in the day? For some reason I swear I remember some really specific rule where people weren't allowed to sell them, and it got referenced in a previous retrogames thread, perhaps jokingly though.

I ask because with my retropies and every other device in my house that can emulate things, I don't really need so many xboxes anymore, and should probably sell my extras. They're softmodded, and obviously I wouldn't sell them loaded with games, but I think I'd rather get rid of them here than on craigslist.

Preferably to people local to the Seattle area since shipping would be a pain [insert joke about xbox size], but I will be down in the Portland/Salem area this weekend. I can throw in controllers and A/V cables too, I've got piles of them.

I don't believe there's a rule against selling modded consoles themselves. There's a guy on SA Mart modding 3DS's for a fee. It would be :filez: if you advertise you're selling a modded console with full romsets for consoles.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I've been absent for a while but returned just to post this beautiful thing I bought in Japan for 300 yen, for thread name relevancy's sake.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

zari-gani posted:

I've been absent for a while but returned just to post this beautiful thing I bought in Japan for 300 yen, for thread name relevancy's sake.

Not even Japan was safe...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zari-gani posted:

This is incredible

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I tried to find views of the game on Japanese bad game wiki and they don't even have it on the list of Super Famicom games. So I guess that advertisement wasn't very effective.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just bought a cart for Return to Dinosaur Land. It's the best ROMhack.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

zari-gani posted:

What could possibly go wrong?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

It's a Christmas Miracle!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Did you find a PVM in your stocking?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you find a PVM in your stocking?

I got it for free and the only problem is it won't do PAL video.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

I got it for free and the only problem is it won't do PAL video.

Ewwww we don't mention that format here.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't claim to be an expert, but I thought most PVM's on both sides of the pond would take both PAL and NTSC?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ewwww we don't mention that format here.

Aren't PAL GameCubes the good ones?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Aren't PAL GameCubes the good ones?

Are you trying to trigger me?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

TeaJay posted:

I don't claim to be an expert, but I thought most PVM's on both sides of the pond would take both PAL and NTSC?

Yeah It's a PVM I got Locally (Australia), but anything PAL I feed it doesn't have any colour (and no, "Blue Only" isn't on). Right now my PAL stuff is only a Mega Drive and a Sega SC-3000.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a question about PVMs that I feel like I should know the answer to: aren't these not exactly "optimal" for retro games since they are such a high resolution? I remember when buying my arcade CRT I had to make sure it was a standard res monitor and NOT a medium res one or else games would look a lot worse. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've got a question about PVMs that I feel like I should know the answer to: aren't these not exactly "optimal" for retro games since they are such a high resolution? I remember when buying my arcade CRT I had to make sure it was a standard res monitor and NOT a medium res one or else games would look a lot worse. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have no idea of the difference. Mine's a HR Trinitron so I dunno if that's different or not.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Depends on the look you're going for. Most people tend to like the clean and consistent look of an aperture grille (available on most professional monitors and Sony consumer sets) scanlines provide in comparison to shadow mask (what most consumer televisions have).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think you may be talking about two different things. When people talk about "medium res" arcade monitors they are talking about horizontal scan (refresh) rate, a medium res is about 24khz. standard is 15khz (what majority of arcade games and old console games run at) and high is 31khz (for games that run at VGA res like lots of Naomi stuff). note that when you hear people talk about figures like 50hz or 60hz they are talking about the vertical refresh rate, where 50 is PAL and 60 is NTSC.

your PVM is just a really nice TV so it's always going to be standard res, 15khz. I think what you're referring to is the line count which is really a matter of personal preference.

edit: personally I think a high TVL looks fantastic and wish I could swap my crappy 14" N series for something with a high count

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 21, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

d0s posted:

I think you may be talking about two different things. When people talk about "medium res" arcade monitors they are talking about horizontal scan (refresh) rate, a medium res is about 24khz. standard is 15khz (what majority of arcade games and old console games run at) and high is 31khz (for games that run at VGA res like lots of Naomi stuff). note that when you hear people talk about figures like 50hz or 60hz they are talking about the vertical refresh rate, where 50 is PAL and 60 is NTSC.

your PVM is just a really nice TV so it's always going to be standard res, 15khz. I think what you're referring to is the line count which is really a matter of personal preference.

edit: personally I think a high TVL looks fantastic and wish I could swap my crappy 14" N series for something with a high count

800 TVL on my PVM-14L5 looks crisp as gently caress,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

800 TVL on my PVM-14L5 looks crisp as gently caress,

jesus 800 seems high even for me, I don't think I've ever seen 800TVL irl and have no idea what it would look like (looking at photos of this stuff is next to useless imo, it's completely different in motion). 600 I have seen and it looks amazing, that's the look I wish I could get

• Locked thread