Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Related story, we had a tabby cat (who lived to the ripe old age of 20 years old before he took a powder in a 23K acre nature preserve, never to be seen again) that "disappeared" on a Saturday afternoon. Peach (the cat) pulled this often, and would usually surface a day or so later. This time though, he was gone for quite some time. My relatively young family at the time was completely broken up (this was just several days before Christmas) about it, so I vowed I'd go out for a drive and try and track the moron down. While driving through town, I spy the body of an orange Tabby at the side of the road, and start to sweat a bit thinking, "Well, this isn't going to go on very well with the family." I pull over, and hop out, check out the cat and toss him in the back of the car (it was a busy road, so I was risking life and limb just stopped there). He was actually still warm.

Anyway, I arrive back home, and the family is already on their knees crying their eyes out when I pull the poor guy's body out of the back of the car. It then hit. Peach (the cat) had been fixed many years prior, and this particular tomcat clearly had balls of steel.

So, now, I was confronted with the same decision that dog guy was confronted with. Clearly, this is the wrong cat, do I just "clandestinely" drive by the scene of the accident and "toss out the body"? I couldn't do it. So, we buried this guy in what is now known as the "Cat Semetary" where all of our prior feline family members (except Peach) reside.

Peach showed up later that afternoon, in a linen closet, sacked out on a stack of warm towels. He was an idiot.

To add insult to injury though, literally 2 days later, on Christmas Eve, our older (at the time) cat Gretl suffered a fatal stroke, so, I ended up burying yet another cat on Christmas morning... next to my poor roadkilled friend. I had to use an axe to break through the frozen ground. My neighbors were watching, and I'm sure colored their opinion of me with that, weird, event.

Would have been a fun police visit.

"What? No, I wasn't burying a small body! Well, I was, but its not what you think!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I haven't posted here for a while, but this Facebook discussion of nuclear waste was one of the things that made me just have to share. Especially because the person was making sense for a while.

I am Matthew, he is Jim.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

glowing-fish posted:

I haven't posted here for a while, but this Facebook discussion of nuclear waste was one of the things that made me just have to share. Especially because the person was making sense for a while.

I am Matthew, he is Jim.

What? Does he think radiation needs air to breathe like a hamster? Poke some holes in those metal drums, let the decay out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mng posted:

What? Does he think radiation needs air to breathe like a hamster? Poke some holes in those metal drums, let the decay out.

He thinks there is some future technology that will not let the radiation out(maybe like an all lead drum blocking the radiation?) and since the radiation can't escape, it obviously just stays in there.

Maybe when you open it all the radiation will get let out at once, lighting the atmosphere on fire!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
The hypothetical is clearly a stasis field. I don't know why you numbskulls are having such difficulty.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I have theoretical plans for a genetically engineered dog that can eat nuclear waste and poop out gold bars.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"The remaining half is just as deadly as it was 30 years prior."

I'm not a subject matter expert but I'm pretty sure that's not true either: a sample of radioactive material that has undergone one half-life should only be half as radioactive as it started out, right?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm not a subject matter expert but I'm pretty sure that's not true either: a sample of radioactive material that has undergone one half-life should only be half as radioactive as it started out, right?

Measured activity from the original material will be down 50%, but the decay materials very well may have their own activity. That guy just has no idea what he is talking about.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not to derail the thread, but:

With most radioactive material, one half-life isn't going to practically change how dangerous it is for us. The half life of Strontium-90 is 30 years, so after 30, 90, or 180 years, it can still be deadly enough to kill someone. Its like the difference between getting hit by a car going 150 miles per hour or 75 miles per hour or 40 miles per hour: you are probably dead in any case. But eventually, radiation does go away. With Strontium-90, its going to be in a long historical period. After 3000 years, every single atom is going to be gone.

The thing about this is (and this was clipped from a longer argument), he started out making sense. The point that its still going to be deadly even when there is a small amount of the original radiation left can be true. But then he goes off the tracks by showing he has no knowledge of the basic principles of nuclear physics. A lot of bad science starts out the same way. Someone might start out saying something like "vaccines just mask the fact that most infectious diseases are caused by overall poor health, and treat the symptom, not the underlying condition" which makes some sense, and then switch into "and also they have chemicals found in yoga mats that were originally brought to earth from aliens from the Cydonia region of Mars" and then I am like "oh, why did I waste time talking to you?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TotalLossBrain posted:

Measured activity from the original material will be down 50%, but the decay materials very well may have their own activity. That guy just has no idea what he is talking about.

More accurately, if you take a equal sized sample from each, that sample should show the same radioactivity, but half the total mass of the original will no longer be the same substance.

I think occasionally the new substance it decays into will be more dangerously radioactive, but that is rare.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cliff notes for dealing with radioactive materials:
1: Don't listen to some moron on an internet comedy forum
2: If it has a half-life of 30 million years, try not to put it in your mouthhole because it's probably a heavy metal, but at least you won't die of radiation poisoning
3: if it's half-life is measured in days, congratulations you have cancer
4: if it's half-life is measured in hours, congratulations you have a brand new type of cancer but unless this new cancer kills you in the next few days, I wouldn't worry about it

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Speaking of radioactive waste :gonk:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I knew Spout.ly reviews were too real.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

"0 friends"

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

I'm not sure how people could see Trump as a good christian. If anything, he's more deserving of the anti-christ accusations Obama got.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
He's not a n-word.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gaunab posted:

I'm not sure how people could see Trump as a good christian. If anything, he's more deserving of the anti-christ accusations Obama got.

It depends on what interpretation of the Antichrist you subscribe to. The strictly biblical version is presented like Trump, a vain power hungry madman who considers himself above god and unto a god and who builds gaudy palaces and edifices. If you take the generally assumed opinion of the biblical Beast as a description of the Antichrist as the figure who heralds the end of days then Trump isn't really a good example because I don't think he's recently converted people into secretly worshiping Satan by constructing a realistic facsimile of Satan that talks and orders people around. If you're talking the completely non-biblical fanfiction Antichrist presented commonly in Evangelical circles (ala Left Behind) where he's a guy who's so good and cool he convinces people to stop worshiping Jesus and worship him instead the Obama is probably a better fit, but that definitely has more to do with that narrative being written by a group of people that is politically motivated and desperately wants to cast the Antichrist as a charismatic liberal politician.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
On paper he's a republican, so he's one of the good ones.

Republican = good
Democrat = bad

That's about as far as those people think.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

He can't be the Antichrist coz he's white like Jesus was

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I cannot see this kind of graphic design being acceptable anywhere but on a poster advertising a circus.

This "Moonshine in the Trunk" page is a pretty rich lode of IOSM. Enjoy, but remember the rules:

quote:

21+ Where the jar is never empty!! No bashing.No rudeness..Or you be BAN without warning..Adult humor..If you can't take a Joke..Not your Page... Enjoy��

appsalutly

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Idiots on Social Media: appsalutly

...please

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Quote is not edit. Nothing to see here.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Gonna steal that for advertising.

"Are we on the iPhone and Android Store? Appsolutely!"

Here, on a video about how a bad dentist might try to rip you off, a conspiracy nut:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Ularg posted:

Gonna steal that for advertising.

"Are we on the iPhone and Android Store? Appsolutely!"

Here, on a video about how a bad dentist might try to rip you off, a conspiracy nut:

I've seen reports where one person with perfect teeth visits 20 different dentists and get about 20 different diagnoses on what needs to be done. From pulling teeth to root canals and cavities though it was more about the spectacle and drawing viewers to the controversy with the TV show.

You know where the real conspiracy is? Hairdressers. You cannot visit one without losing some hair. I had a pixie cut when I was younger and then decided to grow out my hair. I still wanted to visit a hairdresser every two months to keep it in good shape but they just would not put the drat scissors down. It's like some quota of hair that must be taken. I couldn't get anywhere growing my hair out even when I explained it to them because they just had to "Take a bit off the edges to keep it healthy (split ends and such)" and at that rate growing my hair out would have taken a decade.

I swear if I visited 20 hair dressers over the course of a week I would end up bald from trimmed edges.

in contrast my dentist hasn't had to do anything more than a quick polish for the past 7 years or so,

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

cptn_dr posted:

He can't be the Antichrist coz he's white like Jesus was

Much unlike Obama who is brown like the people that murdered jesus. QED.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012

A GameFAQs guy posted:

I guess people don't realize that "oh they're Lesbian People can relate now!" is one side of the argument, the other is "Why do they have to make cheap Lesbianic reveals that cheapen the entire Lesbian culture, just so a bunch of Politically correct SJW can amend some injustice"

People seem to think hating how they revealed Tracer as a Lesbian by just jumping into bed with a random woman means I hate the Lesbian culture, which is extremely far from the truth.

plz stop appropriating lesbianic culture

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Tracer is literally shown in the comic getting a Christmas smooch from her girlfriend at home before going to visit Winston.

:byodood: LESBIAN CULTURE!!!!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ah, the all-important narrative elements of a team-based multiplayer game with no story mode. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is the same fandom that lost its poo poo when it turned out the lady in power armour wasn't a quadruple amputee. Overwatch's players are...special.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Idiots on Social Media: A Frank Discussion of Lesbian Culture

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poptart_fairy posted:

This is the same fandom that lost its poo poo when it turned out the lady in power armour wasn't a quadruple amputee. Overwatch's players are...special.

They've ruined my headcanon!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

OldTennisCourt posted:

sappholutely

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Really they should be up in arms about Tracer's disgraceful appropriation of British culture.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, I miss all the great meltdowns. All I saw was confusion about if Mei was big or her jacket was just crazy thick. Well, that and the confusion about everyone with a prosthetic aside from Junkrat.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

psutify posted:

I'm not usually a big stickler for grammar but Jesus who let that boy have a keyboard honestly

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Lesbianic.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Lesbianic.

Appsalutly Lesbianic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

psutify posted:

You'd think nobody has seriously said this but it's why tumblr renamed "lithromantic" to "aporomantic".

Because lesbians gently caress rocks? :shrug: