Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

This one is just sad at the start, but lol at the question at the end:

[CALIFORNIA] Transgender child being harassed and isolated at school and the authorities are ignoring it

quote:

Location: CALIFORNIA. Posting with a throwaway because of the sensitive subject matter.
My daughter is transgender. She started fully dressing and appearing as a woman when school started this year. She is in her senior year of high school. She was originally denied a tryout for the athletic team that she wanted to be on due to being male, but after we spoke to the school and had discussions the policy for transgender students was changed. She was given a place on the team.
However, in order to give my daughter a place another senior student was cut. Her parents and her are upset because they say she will lose scholarship opportunities for college. The team coaches agree. So does the school but says the policy has to be inclusive. The other girls on the team do not accept my daughter and will not interact with her off the field because they blame my daughter for their friends being kicked off the team. Other teams and parents are upset and claim it's not fair because my daughter is a 'boy in drag' who has an advantage because she hasn't started hormone therapy yet. My daughter is athletic and good at the sport but they are making an issue of her biology and it is upsetting. Some want her to play on the boys team but the idea makes my daughter uncomfortable.
The school won't do anything about my daughter being isolated. None of the people on the team or her classmates will acknowledge or interact with her. Her team will include her in play on the field but that's it. Her teachers and the principle say they can't force anyone to talk to her. Her classmates ignore her like she is invisible online and in person. This only started once she was given a place on the team. The advice I'm seeking is how we can get the school to make sure our daughter is no longer excluded. We have no idea where to start. Would we need a lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CharlestheHammer posted:

They should get over their fear and learn to appreciate the best conference in the NCAA.

Right?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Malkof posted:

[CALIFORNIA] Transgender child being harassed and isolated at school and the authorities are ignoring it

what sport is it?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You know how sometimes a story seems cheap because the bad guy is just so over the top evil for evil's sake that it doesn't make any sense?

I think it's important to know that the sister in this story is eleven.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

JFairfax posted:

what sport is it?

No clue, no one asked.

Earlier in this thread someone posted about people from /childfree getting caught in a cycle of self-ownage because they're immature and like kids' things, thus increasing their suffering. Here's a great example!
Ppl upset because I'm going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for my birthday and I told them NOT TO BRING THEIR KIDS.

quote:

I AM THE loving KID HERE. I've been waiting all year for my birthday so I can geek out with fellow Potterheads without any loving kids. When my cousin and another friend (both moms) found out that absolutely NO KIDS were allowed on the trip, they went ballistic saying "but it's a place for kids!!", "you won't even be watching them!", and "we don't have to be together all the time", Ugh, bitches, is not about that! I DON'T WANT TO CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY AT MY FAIRY TALE PLACE WITH BLOODY CHILDREN!! don't you get it?
I told them, "If you bring your kids you can't come. End of discussion."
I am soooooo tired of parents going, "but my kid is so well behaved!" it's not about that! >:(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gaunab posted:

I think it's important to know that the sister in this story is eleven.

Oh poo poo yeah, that's definitely important.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
hahaha harry potter is a goddamn childrens book.

I hope trump sends all the potterheads and whovians to build the wall and they never come back

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Malkof posted:

No clue, no one asked.

Earlier in this thread someone posted about people from /childfree getting caught in a cycle of self-ownage because they're immature and like kids' things, thus increasing their suffering. Here's a great example!
Ppl upset because I'm going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for my birthday and I told them NOT TO BRING THEIR KIDS.

That's some primo stuff right there. So, this guy wants these people to come to a place designed specifically to delight children/young teens and not bring their children. That means he's expecting each and every parent to either arrange care for their children, or leave one half of a couple behind to go to a place that they likely have little interest in going to other than taking their children there in the first place. I hope nobody shows up, even his childless guests.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Malkof posted:

It's not about the children, it's all about MEEEEEEEEEEE!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's some primo stuff right there. So, this guy wants these people to come to a place designed specifically to delight children/young teens and not bring their children. That means he's expecting each and every parent to either arrange care for their children, or leave one half of a couple behind to go to a place that they likely have little interest in going to other than taking their children there in the first place. I hope nobody shows up, even his childless guests.

it's definitely a woman, I am not sure if I've ever met a dude who is a potterhead

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pvt.Scott posted:

excluding your friends who have children, because they have children, is a great way to wind up with less friends. people are going to choose their children first as it turns out, people generally like their children more than other adults

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

boner confessor posted:

excluding your friends who have children, because they have children, is a great way to wind up with less friends. people are going to choose their children first as it turns out, people generally like their children more than other adults

Especially adults that act like children

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I like to imagine her friends reactions when they thought "oh good, a theme park, what a nice opportunity to bring the kids along" and were then confronted by a full grown adult throwing a tantrum about the idea

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"so you're having your birthday at chuck e cheese? but you don't have any kids? ok, well, whatever, i'll bring mine and susan will bring hers and-"

"no"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope this op updates. This is strange.

quote:

My bf [27m] makes me [21f] feel scared without any reason at all and I don't know if I should bring it up, break up with him or just see a therapist.

Hey. I'm not sure if this is a common situation or not but I'm freaked out.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my bf. He's not violent, abusive and he gives me no reason to be scared of him. He's charming and sweet and polite and he loves to help people... he's harmless, really.

But he makes me scared. Like really scared. I'm feeling crazy, you know? Because I have no reason to be scared, but it's like I can't trust him. We've been dating since February and I avoid being alone with him, I don't accept things from him.

I remember one occasion. We were driving back to the city and we were passing through a small, one-horse town... it was about 8 p.m. and we were running out of gas, so he drove to the gas station. I started feeling like I should run away from him, like I wasn't supposed to be there. The entire drive I was afraid that he was going to stop the car because it was a really small town and there was like no one on the streets. Anyway, I got out of the car at the gas station and I didn't know why. I just didn't feel comfortable inside of the car. He was feeling confused and I asked him if I could drive, to which he agreed, blatantly confused.

I don't know why I'm feeling this way towards him. I feel scared all the time even though I have no reason to. What do I do?

tl;dr: bf makes me scared for no reason at all

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is it the sort of venue you book for an event? If so I get it, I've booked some childish venues or for events and had open bars and adult entertainment set up. Licensing alone wouldn't allow anyone under 18 to attend legally. Yes it's at a library, no you can't bring a child.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yoloer420 posted:

Is it the sort of venue you book for an event? If so I get it, I've booked some childish venues or for events and had open bars and adult entertainment set up. Licensing alone wouldn't allow anyone under 18 to attend legally. Yes it's at a library, no you can't bring a child.

it's a multi thousand person theme park filled with children as far as the eye can see

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

a thing I've noticed: why do all loving childfrees swear as if they're 11yos at loving lunch break who've just loving carefully made sure that they're out of loving earshot of any teachers? poo poo oval office

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

also lol at americans who say "bloody" like it isn't the most insufferable possible affectation.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

There have also been calls for him to get therapy and the top comment calls him out on his self-righteous bullshit and that he only wants to apologize to assuage his own guilt so that he can tell himself that he's a good guy.

Fuckin' evisceration is what's happening.

Oh and one guy said to mail a letter but assume she won't ever read it.

The only true way to atone is to socially firebomb everyone in that peer group and make sure he burns himself just as badly doing it :unsmigghh:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Weird, I thought this was a repost at first. Wasn't there another woman who was having the exact same problem earlier in the thread? Different situations though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

JFairfax posted:

it's definitely a woman, I am not sure if I've ever met a dude who is a potterhead

My co-worker is one, he got me to do the "find your Harry Potter house" thing and went bugeyed and audibly gasped when I got Slytherin. He also threw his hands up in the air and squealed when he got Griffindor.

He also has a huge preoccupation with Disney, a severe mom complex, and a coke problem. I'm guessing it's all tied together.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malkof posted:

I mean, bullying sucks, but nobody hated gays or trannys when I was in school and that was this decade, in a part of California so backwoods we all have country twangs. So they're probably just really weird and the minority status is just coincidental.

Like the guy with a falsetto and a pink faux hawk got made fun of constantly, but nobody bothered all the gay dudes who dressed like lumberjacks like everyone else

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean, bullying sucks, but nobody hated gays or trannys when I was in school and that was this decade, in a part of California so backwoods we all have country twangs. So they're probably just really weird and the minority status is just coincidental.

What's happening is that, usually, people are aware than discrimination is bad and keep their transphobia and homophobia to themselves and their circle.

In this case, the trans kid is directly affecting someone else (due to no fault of her own) so people feel the right to be lovely, and the discrimination bubbles up to the surface.

Sadly that kid is going to have to deal with it. I hope she wins every contest too!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

yoloer420 posted:

:laffo: you know drat well the childfree weirdos are those pretentious nerds who don't drink because that's Too Much Fun

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Gaunab posted:

This is mental illness right?

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
female socialization gone horribly awry

I mean also she could have some kind of past trauma related to abusive relationships which you would think she would mention, but then, it's r/relationships

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Harry Potter obsession is one hell of a reliable red flag

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol imagine going to the Harry Potter theme park without your kids. Showing up at home, shirking off your hogwarts uniform and sitting down and just having your tween kids glare at you with jealousy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How is a kid the first one to be cut off their high school soccer team or whatever ALSO an otherwise shoe-in for a college scholarship?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

How is a kid the first one to be cut off their high school soccer team or whatever ALSO an otherwise shoe-in for a college scholarship?

Just because her parents said, it doesn't mean she actually was scholarship material.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Because it didn't happen. No school is going to let an 18 year old newly minted ftm who is physically and hormonally male play girls' sports

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

subhuman filth posted:

Because it didn't happen. No school is going to let an 18 year old newly minted ftm who is physically and hormonally male play girls' sports

This is the part that sticks out to me. They're upset at this transgender student because "she" is still biologically and hormonally male. Yes, I'm using quotations around the pronoun because: A) I don't believe this is a real story, and B) even if this was real, that transgender student should not be allowed to participate in female sports without undergoing hormone replacement therapy for at least a year. It's just an unfair advantage, plain and simple. There's no argument against it.

Sure, it's probably an exaggeration to say the student dropped from the team was scholarship material, but you know 100% that the transgender student isn't getting a scholarship. "She" needs to be on the male sports team because "she" is actually still male. Maybe that makes me narrow minded but I really don't care. I guarantee she wouldn't be ostracized and bullied if she wasn't unfairly stealing another student's opportunity.

e: Honestly, if this story is true, it is pretty blatantly sexist. Giving a person a spot on the team based solely on their gender? Especially when it is at the cost of someone else who deserved to be there? That's not cool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Height is an unfair advantage too, but they don't keep unusually tall people from playing high school ball. Quite the opposite, it's usually encouraged.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pearnicious posted:

This is the part that sticks out to me. They're upset at this transgender student because "she" is still biologically and hormonally male. Yes, I'm using quotations around the pronoun because: A) I don't believe this is a real story, and B) even if this was real, that transgender student should not be allowed to participate in female sports without undergoing hormone replacement therapy for at least a year. It's just an unfair advantage, plain and simple. There's no argument against it.

Sure, it's probably an exaggeration to say the student dropped from the team was scholarship material, but you know 100% that the transgender student isn't getting a scholarship. "She" needs to be on the male sports team because "she" is actually still male. Maybe that makes me narrow minded but I really don't care. I guarantee she wouldn't be ostracized and bullied if she wasn't unfairly stealing another student's opportunity.

got, uh, a little problem with trans people there fella?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oh no thread, turn left

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pearnicious posted:

source your quotes

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

mfcrocker posted:

got, uh, a little problem with trans people there fella?

No, I have a problem with people using gender to steal opportunities from other people. Men, women, transgender, whatever. People talk about sexism and equality, but stuff like this is the exact opposite. You're free to identify as whatever gender you want, but when you start using it to get unfair advantages or special treatment I have a problem with it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's a race to the bottom between this thread and Facebook thread. Who is the most offended by meaningless bullshit?

:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pearnicious posted:

No, I have a problem with people using gender to steal opportunities from other people. Men, women, transgender, whatever. People talk about sexism and equality, but stuff like this is the exact opposite. You're free to identify as whatever gender you want, but when you start using it to get unfair advantages or special treatment I have a problem with it.

sorry about your problems with trans people, i hope you get better

i hope this goon gets better too:

My [23F] partner [27] of 3 years, refuses to go anywhere with me. He is taking 2 months break and is planning on spending it playing games

quote:

I just graduated from a stressful, long and hard degree that Ive spent 5 years (full time) on.

My bf Mark and I don't live together but we do stay over at each others place quite often.

I can write a novel as to how hard the last several years has been with working to put myself through uni and my mother being diagnosed with cancer. I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I had a proper break without work or study or some other responsibilities in the way.

My mother is well (in remission) and I finally feel free and thanks to my great marks and references Ive already got a great job lined up with very generous benefits. I'll be earning 6 times what I was getting previously - and thats just the initial offer.

I want to celebrate and just take a couple of weeks to go somewhere before I jump into this position which I begin in February.

I asked Mark if he'd be up to go somewhere with me back in September. I have some savings and I can afford a nice two week vacation.

Mark did not want to travel over the 2 weeks break he gets over Christmas/New years even though he doesn't celebrate either of these things. He said he wanted a break from work and traveling idea was too stressful for him which sucked but I understood. He also said he probably couldn't take further break from his work before his project was completed

As silly as this sounds, I didn't feel comfortable going on my own. So I left it alone and decided to just spend it with him and family instead. 2 days ago though he told me he was taking all of January off on a break as he had a lot of leave saved up and he wanted to use it all. So this is an extra month on top of his 2 weeks break. During a time where I wanted to travel.

I asked him what his plans were for this period and hes basically wanting to play online games to collect trophies. He says we can travel next year as by then he'll have saved up more work leave.

I'm really hurt by this. I know I can't make him go but I just wished he would be up to travel somewhere with me after 3 years.

Once I found out, I decided to stuff it and have started looking into the trip on my own. Ive told him as such and hes not happy about this. He wont tell me not to go straight out but says me staying home is a holiday and that I shouldn't go anywhere for a holiday that I can have right here.

Ive expressed my annoyance at him and I think he interpret it as a threat to breaking up. He says if I gave him an ultimatum, he would pick to travel with me as he does not want to lose me BUT he will only do that if its ABSOLUTELY necessary and he does not want to do it otherwise.

I don't want to force him into this but I'm not sure I want to stay with someone who can't sacrifice a little and go somewhere (ANYWHERE!) with me after everything Ive been through. I want him there by my side and he'd rather stay home and collect virtual trophies instead of making memories !

Am I being too sensitive or too harsh on him ? Id really appreciate unbiased opinions on this.

tl;dr: Bf would rather stay home and collect video game trophies instead of going anywhere with me in my first break in years.