Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The anandtech thread could probably use a little

because they had the dumb door defense over in that thread.

The Derek conjuring semi-true myth was already cited over there. Someone could post "derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART" and have him jump in right after. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Clearly, the only winning move is not to play.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Pimblor posted:

Non-subscribers are winning hard at the moment.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pimblor posted:

No, the winning move is to pick "guerrilla engagement"

e: Theaterwide tactical warfare seems like a real fuckin' slog. Like, imagine Barbarossa on a tactical scale, holy poo poo

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 21, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Shitizens want to believe.
CG Standards are so drat low, that when they even produce one thing the whole community goes like " SEE, I TOLD YOU"

I mean, CIG just managed to gently caress around a whole year, producing zero content and managed to get a praise from the community.
Like what content has been produced in 2016?

3 Patches? reworking flightmodels over and over again.

It just boggles my mind how they can get away with it. a whole loving year and no one is asking questions loving lol.

Yeah that's why I was posting about the whole "Missing the forest for the trees" mentality backers have.

CIG has barely managed a prototype in an engine that is almost certainly a dead end. The guy making the decisions is obviously obsessed with his magnum opus cinematic experience. Years of his own words and complete bewilderment at the prototype prove that. He speaks in vague possibilities about the game people paid $140,000,000 for while having enthusiasm for Squadron 42 with years of time spent at the world's most expensive animation studio. None of the assets they are producing and none of the time they have spent has gone toward actually making anything other than a tech demo.

Nope. All of that has been compartmentalized down into it's constituent molecules. 1,000,000 different petty arguments that can be argued for all eternity. The cult never has to be wrong because even if an asteroid hits the earth their survivors eating mold off the walls of a subway station can dream of the future day where they are all in the verse and just need to reinvent electricity to start working on 5.6.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Pimblor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZRJ3o5MIT4

There's always a plan B in the 'Verse.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tokamak posted:

Today's patch doesn't have any of the missing features, and introduced a couple of game breaking bugs.

:tif:

What are they up to now, L? M?

2.5 work yet? I'm putting 50/50 on 2.5 being broken through the entire holiday break. Pay the $10, citizen.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I don't think this gets said enough around these parts.

Wow, what an intriguing looking ga.. Hahaha who am I kidding, what a buggy pile of poo poo.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:trumppop: Chrisko Roberto's account finally outed :gary::ccb:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
MISSPELLING OF 'MULTIPLAYER' IN MENU SCREEN 2.6

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Load up Star Citizen
2 Land on Main Menu Screen
3 Look at Star Marine tab and notice misspelling of "Mutliplayer"

ACTUAL RESULT
There is a misspelling in the Star Marine tab

EXPECTED RESULT
I should not have been accosted by such gross spelling errors!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

loving doxxers man

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Some guy created loads of these.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha/SC-33542-RSI_Aurora_CL_-_Hangar_Cockpit_Ship_bug_-_PTU_2_6_0
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...bug_-_PTU_2_6_0
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha/SC-33550-MISC_Freelancer_-_Hangar_Cockpit_Ship_bug_-_PTU_2_6_0

2.6 has flight speed changes, in the past people have speculated that CIG made the avatars and ships tiny to fudge large cry engine maps. What are the chances that they made ships even smaller or messed with the scale in some way and didn't consider the effect that would have on the 3rd person view HUD?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

So here is a little musing: Do you think the staggering incompetence displayed by CIG is intentional?

A filtering process, like in those Nigerian scam emails, where it is suuuuuper obvious that it is a scam, and therefore anyone, even the dumbest, would immediately discard it. But the people that fall for it are so dumb, they're never going to catch on, and as such is a "safe bet" when it comes to giving money to shady people.

With star citizen, the game is so badly made, and has been for so long, nobody in their right mind would look at it and say "yes, this looks good. This is up to 2016 standards"

So is it a filtering process that attracts only the most broken stupid people, and then milks them for everything they have?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

No. I have a twitter account and my feed is always blank. I have no way to explain how other people encounter tweets. Also what do all these buttons do I am confused.

Stop doxxing me please.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZKC5W4pbQ

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if that blue sphere is anchored to the "ship's center of mass"/rotation point/origin. It also appears to be suspiciously close to where the pilot's eyes would be. If true, having the ship rotate around the player's viewpoint seems suspiciously convenient.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
Mouse cursor should align with selectable UI elements
Load game. Play Game without breaking computer.
Ship to stay steady and still, or when in the andromeda for example, to keep its speed and go on when walking around the ship.
Transport to Crusader
Exit to desktop
I should have been able to walk around after standing up
UI exit
Hud should stay at it's place on the screen
Game should exit normally
Should not clip out of map
click on icon and get to logon screen and get in to the game
Door should lower to the ground to allow access to the ship.
The overlays of SM should change accordingly to the actual resulotion even if its widescreen.
Loading of the Star Marine match
traded original game package then went in game selected new hanger and been able to apply new ship to any part of the game......and PLAY
Keep flying
graphics tint should not change - obviously, tint may change on some assets depending on lighting, but this effect is on all assets in view, regardless of lighting.
Launch in pink ship!
After placing ballistic weapons into ship configuration, the ship should load ammunition in as well.
i should have a body, ships and go to hanger with out crashing.
Crash Go to desk
Disconnected from the game Go back to Menu - no crash
When you go near the ship terminal the "use" button to appear.
PTU 2.6.0 STAR MARINE Start Multiplayer game Last Stand Find Match Crash to menu during the load
The expected results, can normal to play games.
pop up error message
get stuck
Automatic doors should open and the ship selection menu should appear.
should not happened on this right place :)
To fly towards the ship, slow down upon impact, and enter the left side door via ladder
Game shouldn't get disconnected when connected to internet
normal size HUD
see the scoreboard
bring up ship selection hud and choose ship to put in hanger
The game open and at least be somewhat playable
To see the cannon a little farther from the tip of the wing so the gap is right.

ACTUAL RESULT
Downloaded this game 3 times in a 24 hour period. I can not play it. I lost my Ship, Armor, UEE Credits. I,m Invivible can not go ouyt the airlock without a suit and can not call up my ship at the olisar console. Looks like you guys got me for $75.00 I even upgraded my ship twice to the Mustang Beta all gone ..Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

EXPECTED RESULT
I would like to be able to play this game

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

That commando is getting savaged by his own ship. Very stimperial. o4

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so2pDP7Jsmo

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

AP posted:

MISSPELLING OF 'MULTIPLAYER' IN MENU SCREEN 2.6

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Load up Star Citizen
2 Land on Main Menu Screen
3 Look at Star Marine tab and notice misspelling of "Mutliplayer"

ACTUAL RESULT
There is a misspelling in the Star Marine tab

EXPECTED RESULT
I should not have been accosted by such gross spelling errors!

This might happen when you have been in crunch time over 6 months.
Its like a loving cry for help.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

With 2.6 CIG has managed to gently caress the transition between different landing grids even more, and the "flight" "model" seems even worse than before. This was well worth the 6 month wait.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Holy poo poo, the fact they need to use such a drastic measure tell's us a lot about the coding.
I imagine in normal circumstances it would be a big rear end excel page where all speeds etc are kept.
So they only would have add a slight change there to effect every ship.

Guess not lol!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

The Derek conjuring semi-true myth was already cited over there. Someone could post "derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART" and have him jump in right after. lol

Oh yeah, lying about company expenditures through official company channels in order to create a false sense of frugality. I forgot about that one.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star Citizen: Programm Scheißen

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

revenge of the German graphics drivers

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Things I've learned about Star Marine/2.6 so far.

Grenades are instakills anywhere in their radius, with little to no indication that they're near you.
The Radar/HUD bounces a full inch up and down with every step you take on screen. Very Fidelity.
You have to close out the entire program and reboot if you want to play another match
You have to log into your hanger and access star marine that way or it crashes most everytime.
The crosshairs are bugged and shake around more Michael J. Fox trying to do a paint by numbers
The recoil is ridiculously high and makes everything spray and pray by default. Battlefield guns are somehow more stable.
The proximity sounds are messed up really bad.
In the PU things Stimpire pretty much everytime you try to do anything.
The new flight model has such high acceleration and low speeds that dogfighting is pretty much impossible. Its Asteroids in 3d.
Crashes are ubiquitous. One streamer had to restart 4 times before he was able to play more than 30 seconds of match. He was happy with it because loading times are "fast" now.

If you didn't subscribe to CIG you pretty much cannot play anything right now, let alone the new stuff.

Citizens, theres nothing to test. Any dev can simply load into 2.6 and see most of these bugs first try. Playtesting is only done in a much more polished state because that wheedles out the low occurrence bugs that a dev wouldn't necessarily reliably come across. Doing it now is pretty pointless as the devs dont know whats low or high occurrence because theres so much broken poo poo its hard to nail down. You'd know this if you understood game development.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 21, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Things I've learned about Star Marine/2.6 so far.

Grenades are instakills anywhere in their radius, with little to no indication that they're near you.
The Radar/HUD bounces a full inch up and down with every step you take on screen. Very Fidelity.
You have to close out the entire program and reboot if you want to play another match
You have to log into your hanger and access star marine that way or it crashes most everytime.
The crosshairs are bugged and shake around more Michael J. Fox trying to do a paint by numbers
The recoil is ridiculously high and makes everything spray and pray by default. Battlefield guns are somehow more stable.
The proximity sounds are messed up really bad.
In the PU things Stimpire pretty much everytime you try to do anything.
The new flight model has such high acceleration and low speeds that dogfighting is pretty much impossible. Its Asteroids in 3d.
Crashes are ubiquitous. One streamer had to restart 4 times before he was able to play more than 30 seconds of match. He was happy with it because loading times are "fast" now.

If you didn't subscribe to CIG you pretty much cannot play anything right now, let alone the new stuff.

CLOWN Stimperium

Days since last gently caress up

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kosumo posted:

Why would you need a gun like that? Why would you spend that much money on such a thing?

The fact you ever put that much money into the hands of Chris Roberts makes me wonder if you judgement is sound enough to have what is clearly a killing machine.

I like you Beer, I've enjoyed many of the things you have written for a long time, pre-SA, you seem like a swell guy, could you help a guy from a country that you can't even buy a hand gun understand why you should be able, and want to, buy any assault rifle?

Honest question. Thanks.

I don't want this to turn into a gun debate thread, so please understand that if this derail gets too large I'm going to request that folks take it off to PMs or something. That said you've asked a reasonable question, and we get a lot of interesting conversations like this due to how international our little thread community is, so let me answer it.

I don't need this gun. I have absolutely no need, whatsoever, for a heavy barreled semi-automatic magazine fed scoped rifle. I also didn't need Star Citizen, didn't need the copy of Stellaris I've put over 100 hours into (thanks Wiz!), and don't need the vast majority of other things I spend money on. I did, however, want one because I enjoy shooting paper. I also wanted one because I'm an engineer and I appreciate how this particular rifle was designed. I like how modular it is, how I can exchange the various components into something that fits me very well, and I like how it looks. One of my hobbies is target shooting, and I spent as much as I did because that's what I needed to buy what I wanted. It's no more a "killing machine" than any other firearm.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I really, reaaaaally don't like to harp on the looks of others, it's really not my place to do so, but a former co-worker had that same deadpan stare and it freaks me the gently caress out.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

EXPECTED RESULT
Mouse cursor should align with selectable UI elements
Load game. Play Game without breaking computer.
Ship to stay steady and still, or when in the andromeda for example, to keep its speed and go on when walking around the ship.
Transport to Crusader
Exit to desktop
I should have been able to walk around after standing up
UI exit
Hud should stay at it's place on the screen
Game should exit normally
Should not clip out of map
click on icon and get to logon screen and get in to the game
Door should lower to the ground to allow access to the ship.
The overlays of SM should change accordingly to the actual resulotion even if its widescreen.
Loading of the Star Marine match
traded original game package then went in game selected new hanger and been able to apply new ship to any part of the game......and PLAY
Keep flying
graphics tint should not change - obviously, tint may change on some assets depending on lighting, but this effect is on all assets in view, regardless of lighting.
Launch in pink ship!
After placing ballistic weapons into ship configuration, the ship should load ammunition in as well.
i should have a body, ships and go to hanger with out crashing.
Crash Go to desk
Disconnected from the game Go back to Menu - no crash
When you go near the ship terminal the "use" button to appear.
PTU 2.6.0 STAR MARINE Start Multiplayer game Last Stand Find Match Crash to menu during the load
The expected results, can normal to play games.
pop up error message
get stuck
Automatic doors should open and the ship selection menu should appear.
should not happened on this right place :)
To fly towards the ship, slow down upon impact, and enter the left side door via ladder
Game shouldn't get disconnected when connected to internet
normal size HUD
see the scoreboard
bring up ship selection hud and choose ship to put in hanger
The game open and at least be somewhat playable
To see the cannon a little farther from the tip of the wing so the gap is right.

ACTUAL RESULT
Downloaded this game 3 times in a 24 hour period. I can not play it. I lost my Ship, Armor, UEE Credits. I,m Invivible can not go ouyt the airlock without a suit and can not call up my ship at the olisar console. Looks like you guys got me for $75.00 I even upgraded my ship twice to the Mustang Beta all gone ..Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

EXPECTED RESULT
I would like to be able to play this game

Star Citizen: I Would Like to be Able to Play This Game

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

My original guess was that they had to slow the ships down to try and prevent glitching and jitters. They could have also tried to increase them in size to cut down on the same problems as well.

There is no real way to verify the "13 sextillion cubic kilometers" claim or whatever, so they could have doubled everything in size to try and walk back their stupid scale decisions. The only way to know would be traveling slightly less time into empty space before hitting the border.

Good thing we have zero way to even identify the problem, much less the contributing factors or what is being done or how the game is even made. The most open development ever since it was a little game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

I have been following that thread; I just choose not to post. It's not like I post everywhere SC is discussed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Booourns posted:

"This popped up on twitter" really guys, I don't read through every tweet made by a CIG employee, this just magically popped up for me, what a coincidence

It's nice they let you on the "internets" at the old folks home.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Boom. Refund issued. $560.

Apparently holiday miracles happen while I'm asleep.

Congratulations Beer!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Come hell or high water, 2.6 will launch on Friday. CIG cannot walk it back again after all their recent emails and publicity. It's going to be a mess and won't be touched on for two weeks while everyone is on vacation

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kosumo posted:

Why would you need a gun like that?

Hunting/shooting. Why else?

Kosumo posted:

a guy from a country that you can't even buy a hand gun understand why you should be able, and want to

Nobody has to explain why they "should be able to" have civil rights. Honestly I don't understand how you could live in a place where the people in power are allowed to have things that are illegal for everyone else.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

someone on December 21, 2016 posted:

Have you folks actually played this?

All the stuff that's actually difficult to do from a technical POV(that originally justified this being called pie-in-the-sky vaporware) has been done. It was done months ago. What's left is bog standard MMO stuff that's already been done hundreds of times before in other games and just takes time to setup.

I have no doubt this is going to be released with most of the promised content, which isn't something I would have said at the start of this year.
I'm dying...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

orcane posted:

I'm dying...

He's not wrong. He just forgot to mention it was done by someone else than CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

spacetoaster posted:

Honestly I don't understand how you could live in a place where the people in power are allowed to have things that are illegal for everyone else.

So, presumably you live on Neptune?