Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

SLIPPERY SLOPE!

PRECEDENT!

POORS OUT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

They're actually pretty terrible from the looks of it.

There are 3 different banners. The first is an 11-pull with SSB+ relics; 2 11-pulls gets you one random lucky bag from a pool of 5. The second is an 11-pull with SSB+ relics; 1 11-pull gets you one random lucky bag from a pool of 5. The third is a 5-pull (no guaranteed 5 star); 1 5-pull gets you one random lucky bag from a pool of 4.

So basically the pools are probably terrible and getting the OSB+BSB / BSB+SSB / "popular relic" you want is a crap shoot on top of the crap shoot of a relic draw.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wouldn't be completely surprised if the OSB/BSB choices were pretty bad too, like one of the non-elemental OSBs or some of the really outdated BSBs.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

As long as they don't make the f2p banners poo poo I'm not really seeing a problem with it either way.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wouldn't be completely surprised if the OSB/BSB choices were pretty bad too, like one of the non-elemental OSBs or some of the really outdated BSBs.

The bags are:

• Cloud OSB+Cloud BSB2
  • Tidus OSB+Tidus BSB
  • PCecil OSB+PCecil BSB
  • Zidane OSB+Zidane BSB
  • Bartz OSB+Bartz BSB1

• Faris BSB+Faris Imperil Wind SSB
  • Rydia BSB+Rydia SSB
  • Celes BSB+Celes SSB
  • Aerith BSB+Aerith SSB
  • Yuna BSB2+Yuna AOE Curage+HP Stock SSB

• Sentinel's Grimoire
  • Shout
  • Sheepsong
  • Stoneskin II

You can only get a single bag per banner though (at least as far as our current understanding), and the OSB+BSB bags not only have a stinker (bartz) but also require two full price gem pulls.

They're pretty easy skips, IMO, though the final bag would be good for someone who didn't have any of those. 50% chance for Wall (and presumably at less than full gem price since it's only a 5 pull) is pretty hot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

As long as they don't make the f2p banners poo poo I'm not really seeing a problem with it either way.

Exact banner makeup isn't out but the new relics have some tinge of pretty solid to them; Tifa's USB is 10-hit damage + Hastega + Regen + Radiant Shield.

Some characters are also getting EX Mode with their USBs, which gives them a unique buff for 25s. For instance, Terra's gives her a MAG+30% (stacks with everything) and Quickcast.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks like JP DeNA is finally giving in; their New Year's Fest has gem-only draws that give additional rewards, such as a OSB+BSB. At least they're one-time only, for now.

I don't like this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Attestant posted:

I don't like this.

Honestly, after seeing how it works I'm fine with it. There are no exclusive relics, they don't seem to be very good value (pending a list of the banner relics), and you can't whale on them endlessly in search of that one lucky bag you wanted. It's probably the mildest cash-only draw they could possibly do. Obviously some people just won't ever be OK with a cash-only draw period, but it doesn't bother me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
That's basically my thought on it. Cash-only draw makes me uncomfortable, but it's a very mild interpretation. If they start putting exclusive content behind cash-only draws I'll be worried.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Beasteh posted:

SLIPPERY SLOPE!

PRECEDENT!

POORS OUT!

But really, it's strange to me that they're going to cash-only draws in the first place. I'd almost wonder if S-E pushed them to it, considering how KHUx and FF Mobius are.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Those games are bleeding players because they refuse to stop gating content behind obnoxious paywalls

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mobius put a guaranteed (exclusive) class behind a ~$75 paywall. I'm not sure I've touched it much since then, it was already wearing kind of thin because it was basically Grind: The Game. I was hoping they'd start adding more complex content, but it mostly just seems to be bigger numbers.

(also one of the absolute worst/most nightmarish inventory clusterfucks I've ever had the displeasure of attempting to wrangle)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Having a hell of a time beating Apocalypse Gilgamesh.

I'm personally doing:

Zidane + BSB, Lifesiphon/Mug Bloodlust
Tyro + BSB (SG if needed), Full break/Wrath.

Between Zidane and Tyro I'm keeping a lot of stats debuffed: Full Break, Tyro's 2 burst skills are basically another full break, Zidane's burst skills are Attack and Defense Breakdown, Mug bloodlust is attack/defense break. These all stack right? Then on top of that Tyro is giving Shell/Protect/magic blink.

So it seems like a good base I just need people to do damage and heal. Am I being greedy with this and should I swap out tyro for like, Aeris BSB + Raises?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm personally doing:

Between Zidane and Tyro I'm keeping a lot of stats debuffed: Full Break, Tyro's 2 burst skills are basically another full break, Zidane's burst skills are Attack and Defense Breakdown, Mug bloodlust is attack/defense break. These all stack right? Then on top of that Tyro is giving Shell/Protect/magic blink.

So it seems like a good base I just need people to do damage and heal. Am I being greedy with this and should I swap out tyro for like, Aeris BSB + Raises?

Aerith BSB + Curaise is what I use as my backrow, and I've never not had some Tyro around with Wall.

Zidane BSB is okay for dealing with debuffing, but honestly the Imperil doesn't help against Enkidu and it sure as hell doesn't help Zidane himself. You'd really need an Enwind/OSB Cloud to seal the deal. Is there anyone else you can use for debuffing (and/or run Tyro/Aerith and let Tyro be debuff support)?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Aerith BSB + Curaise is what I use as my backrow, and I've never not had some Tyro around with Wall.

Zidane BSB is okay for dealing with debuffing, but honestly the Imperil doesn't help against Enkidu and it sure as hell doesn't help Zidane himself. You'd really need an Enwind/OSB Cloud to seal the deal. Is there anyone else you can use for debuffing (and/or run Tyro/Aerith and let Tyro be debuff support)?

I've been using Zidane partially because pretty much everyone brings Luneth or some other wind BSB for Enkidu, partially because the damage is pretty good for a debuff. On top of that his mug power stacks with OK BSB if that's the buff we have and he ends up doing pretty good damage - I haven't counted compared to a dedicated damage dealer though so it's not probably not the greatest.

Damage wise my options are Zidane, Tifa BSB, Tidus OSB pretty much.

My best debuff is Tyro (I use him as my exclusive support in singleplayer) I could absolutely run Tyro/Aerith and just hope people bring lots of damage. Sometimes when they see Tyro people expect you to do only SG so I bring Wrath and let him do both.

With Aerith BSB I think you could safely do Curaise/Shell too, no need for Curaja?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Beasteh posted:

Those games are bleeding players because they refuse to stop gating content behind obnoxious paywalls

The sad fact is that this might be intentional. Some games and devs just gun for the short term whale-bucks, intentionally burning the game out, and moving on to the next one quickly.

Thankfully FFRK seems to care more about player retention, though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I've been using Zidane partially because pretty much everyone brings Luneth or some other wind BSB for Enkidu, partially because the damage is pretty good for a debuff. On top of that his mug power stacks with OK BSB if that's the buff we have and he ends up doing pretty good damage - I haven't counted compared to a dedicated damage dealer though so it's not probably not the greatest.

Damage wise my options are Zidane, Tifa BSB, Tidus OSB pretty much.

My best debuff is Tyro (I use him as my exclusive support in singleplayer) I could absolutely run Tyro/Aerith and just hope people bring lots of damage. Sometimes when they see Tyro people expect you to do only SG so I bring Wrath and let him do both.

With Aerith BSB I think you could safely do Curaise/Shell too, no need for Curaja?

In multiplayer in general it feels like the chances of someone getting killed at some point are so high that if you have a BSB healer I'd use Curaise/Arise over Curaja most of the time.

Note: This is not to say you should hone Arise. Don't. If you want more than two revives, just use Curaise. But Arise definitely shines in multiplayer where enemies are so fast with so much AoE you'll rarely not have a full meter by the time Burst Mode ends.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 21, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Apparently Lucky Bags are a Japanese New Year's retail tradition - buy an unmarked bag of loot, maybe get lucky! Did a bit of googling and... yeah, it sure is.

This seems like DeNa getting in on this, to me.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 21, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm tempted to pull on this FFV banner as I don't have any physical FFV relics. Nothing in OSBfest is really grabbing me. I have 50 mythril, and it sounds like we're getting quite a bit between all the events and bonuses. If I do everything, do I have enough to pull once on FFV, once on FF14, and twice on FFT?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

You will absolutely have enough mythril to do all those things

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
If I'm after good phys relics, is this FFV one good or is the 2nd one better? The only OSBfest banner I was thinking about was B3 with Agrias' BSB.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Tough call, but I think banner 1 ekes out a win. Banner 2's main physical prize is the Gilgamesh BSB and while there are times where Tauntaliate is really good, this MP event being one of them, Banner 1 has a deeper physical bench and anyone that's really desperate for it can fall back on Tyro's Selection 2. Faithful Companion is outdated by now and I'm going to go ahead and say Serpent's Gale was never good. Bartzcalibur may be similarly outdated but it's a +Holy stat stick, the Dorgann sword is a party ATK/MAG buff for CMs/the Onionless, Galuf's BSB is actually a decent gimmick with its Fire/Earth damage entry and commands, Imperil Fire on entry and proportional ally heal on commands and the Galuf SSB gauntlets allow you to solo almost the entire game (please note that this is a gimmick, they are still passably decent otherwise).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I forgot to mention I beat Atomos last night, my first nightmare victory :toot: The easiest one supposedly, but I don't care :colbert:

Dervish didn't seem especially great though, even though I surprisingly actually have enough crystals to make it (where the heck do you get enough crystals to hone these anyway? just getting enough to make one has taken me months).

I want Curada :<

I probably have the party to pull it off, just need to do some reading.

Is Quadruple Foul + Edgar's Bio Blaster worth considering, or is basically every boss going to be immune to all status, rendering the damage boost to bio largely irrelevant?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Wilekat posted:

Apparently Lucky Bags are a Japanese New Year's retail tradition - buy an unmarked bag of loot, maybe get lucky! Did a bit of googling and... yeah, it sure is.

This seems like DeNa getting in on this, to me.

Hopefully this is the case. Cause if that starts becoming the norm, I'll finish up with this.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

I'm personally doing:

Just host a game and keep booting people until you get a good team.

If you absolutely want to join a team just double down on your healing/support with Tyro BSB/Aeris BSB since you're more than likely to get grouped with people who have brought neither. And use curaise cause it's awesome for this.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

victrix posted:

I forgot to mention I beat Atomos last night, my first nightmare victory :toot: The easiest one supposedly, but I don't care :colbert:

Dervish didn't seem especially great though, even though I surprisingly actually have enough crystals to make it (where the heck do you get enough crystals to hone these anyway? just getting enough to make one has taken me months).

I want Curada :<

I probably have the party to pull it off, just need to do some reading.

Is Quadruple Foul + Edgar's Bio Blaster worth considering, or is basically every boss going to be immune to all status, rendering the damage boost to bio largely irrelevant?

Some comments:

Dervish is mostly bad. Mostly since the competing skills for it are just much better. Crystals are generally rewarded in Ultimates, the nightmare bosses, and some special event bosses. It's perfectly normal for it to take months to make or hone one.

Quadruple Foul is probably one of the worst nightmare skills, exactly for the reason you say. Most bosses are immune to almost every status, and you don't make 6* skills to hit trash mobs.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That's kind of lame. I wish they'd do something like the break resistance for debuffs, so debuff abilities would actually have a purpose on Ult or higher level fights - some effect, even if it isn't the full effect.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
to be fair, that is very Final Fantasy.txt

status effects are almost always bad, when they're not intended to be silver bullets for that one weakness

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

acumen posted:

Just host a game and keep booting people until you get a good team.

If you absolutely want to join a team just double down on your healing/support with Tyro BSB/Aeris BSB since you're more than likely to get grouped with people who have brought neither. And use curaise cause it's awesome for this.

I finally beat it hosting with:

Tyro BSB+SG Full Break/Lifesiphon
Quistis BSB Wrath/Power Breakdown

Quistis' MAG boost from her burst command + Onion Knight was doing 20k a hit to gilgamesh and 40k when I recast the burst, turns out she's actually good

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm at 102 mythril with the FFV event taken care of. Between Orbfest and the daily mythril/XIV event itself, I should have 150 easily.

The only problem is this banner is tempting me, hard. I have really great weapon synergy for V. Giant's Axe+++ is actually leagues better than all the 5* stuff I have for V, which is Flametongue, Ragnarok, Excalibur, Mace of Zeus, Magus Rod, Artemis Bow, and Fire Lash. Which are all great! The problem is my armor synergy is awful. I have a Thornlet +++, a Crystal Armor, and...that's it, aside from the two Golden Shields in this event. Oh and a Diamond Shield ++, which even with synergy is considerably worse than off-realm gear.

I know I'm much more likely to get weapons than armor if I pull on this banner but it's still appealing.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
doot doot did my FF5-1 pull.

... Got one Bartz Cloak. After some mythril assessment, winced hard, decided that the banner was still good for what I wanted and that I had the myth to spare, pulled again.

Went 3/11, Naginata/Dorgannsord/spare Excalibur.

The hilarious thing is, I was pulling on this for the Bursts, Sheepsong, and Moore Branch, so I basically got everything I wasn't pulling on it for, but honestly even a fairly poor OSB on a fairly badass character+a good set of extra wind for the wind team(I already have a Wind imperil and Swordshower on Luneth, and Thancred's daggers...)... well, I came out fine. No real regrets here, but man I wanted the sheeps.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

...hmm. There's a lot of good mage gear on this banner, and it's FFV, and I have 250 mythril with more on the way.

I might pull.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Honestly this banner is fine to pull on

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Honestly, the worst thing about this banner is the timing. If it were something released a few months back, it would have been a pretty highly recommended one, I reckon.

Now it's kinda awkward, with OSB, XIV, Tactics and XIII stuff in the immediate future.

Also I'm super bummed about my terrible pull, but I'm trying my darnest not to ragepull again. :argh:

(Edit) I mean, to make a point, this banner has:

• Gilagmesh OSB: Not being elemental so kinda meh, but a 1320 potency attack is still good, especially when attached to such a great character.
  • Krile BSB: En-Fire BSB, with what are pretty rare status procs for a mage BSB: Slow and Stun.
  • Galuf BSB: Imperil fire effect, with a pretty unique feature of %-based single target heals attached to the attacks, on a non-healer DPS character. Great supplementary heals.
  • Dorgan SSB: +Wind% sword, with a +Atk/Mag party buff SSB
  • Krile SSB: Sheepsong, mage shout with regen. I think the whip even has +Fire%.
  • Galuf SSB: Funky immortality feature that lets Galuf solo things he really shouldn't be able to
  • Bartz SSB: +Holy% sword, with a solid soul break with a relatively rare +Def buff.
  • Bartz SB: +Wind% armor, with En-Wind attached to the soul break.
  • Exdeath SB: It's not on Celes, but it's still basically Runic.

I'm not saying that everyone should be pulling on this, but it is a really solid banner.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2016

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Yeah I don't care about FF V at all so I'm not going to bother with the banners. Saving all my pulls for osbfest and XIV which I like more than V even though I unsubbed months ago.

The event will probably pull me back in though. gently caress, the last XIV event was the one that sucked me into that dumb game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

UHD posted:

Yeah I don't care about FF V at all so I'm not going to bother with the banners. Saving all my pulls for osbfest and XIV which I like more than V even though I unsubbed months ago.

The event will probably pull me back in though. gently caress, the last XIV event was the one that sucked me into that dumb game.

The only thing keeping me from resubbing to XIV are all the other games that have come out/updated recently so I feel your pain.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Galuf's BSB is rated as one of the best imperil BSBs out there, not that I need it with Rusty and Balthier but the commands make it really interesting providing % healing sustain

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
The nice thing about the banner is, if you dud out, you basically still end up with solid stuff.

I pretty much did dud out for my purposes, as much as four different items across two draws could, and I still got Dorgann's "Yes, I can boostga/faithga while also dealing Swordshower damage, but oh no I lose some defense", Gilgamesh's bad OSB that just does 13x most of the time(A bad OSB is sort of like a bad Burst but moreso; It's still GOOD, it's just not AS good.), a dupe +holy sword in a common realm, and a +wind armor with an enwind on a good character.

So I mean, it's honestly better than some of the fest banners, and it's more mage oriented to boot. I have no regrets spending myth on it, even if I didn't get what I wanted out of it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SageAcrin posted:

The nice thing about the banner is, if you dud out, you basically still end up with solid stuff.

I landed a 1/11, which was an item I already had, Bartzcalibur. :v:

I am almost ready to :shepspends: at this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Well. Krile is my new best mage.

(I got Fire Lash and Asura Rod)

• Locked thread