Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
So the latest news from Alaska was a bit of a shocker.

They're giving 1.3 Alaska miles for every Virgin Elevate point.

This means 60k Marriott -> 20k SPG -> 25k Elevate -> 32.5k Alaska

That's freaking ridiculous. Since Cathay First Class is 70k/one way, that makes a roundtrip award in First Class valued at $1540 before taxes if you can navigate the award space.

Marriott and SPG point valuations are also very stable. Generally speaking, 1.8 for SPG and 0.6 for Marriott especially because of instantaneous transfer times and the merger.

Oh, and of course they're ending their partnership with Delta, but everyone knew that was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Oh wow! Didn't see that in the AS email. Feeling smug about my Virgin America JetBlue pointsmarch. Come to meee AS points!

If I book an award on AS can I input my AA (Plat) FF number for OW Sapphire status?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Also, I've been a delta guy for a while now, but also sitting on a few hundred thousand Chase UR points as well - will I have better luck getting to Europe using those on United or something similar? Thinking this all might be less of a headache with a travel agent.

I think the best value of your UR points are Hyatts. If you are in Paris, the Vendome is a obvious choice. It's not a boutique hotel but it's really nice and maybe you can split your accommodations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

If I book an award on AS can I input my AA (Plat) FF number for OW Sapphire status?

I did this earlier this year, MXP-MIA, but despite several calls to both AS and AA, I couldn't get them to put my AA FF# on the booking. They all told me to ask at checkin when I got to the airport and that worked fine. So even if you can't get it on there right away, you can still do it at the airport at least to get MCE seats.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

What exactly is it that you do, anyways? I don't think you've ever said. Even without knowing the answer, I think it's highly unlikely that they're illegally classifying you as exempt. The pool of jobs that pay $90k+ and involve regular international travel but are nonexempt is pretty drat shallow. And exempt status isn't one of those things that companies play fast and loose with, as a general rule, and I'm pretty sure someone in HR has already thought about this a lot more than you have.

I train people to use the systems my company makes. I don't have a degree and I don't manage anybody, nor do I have any power to make important decisions that impact business without approval.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Oh wow! Didn't see that in the AS email. Feeling smug about my Virgin America JetBlue pointsmarch. Come to meee AS points!

Yes, you just need to get the other airline's PNR to choose seats and add your FF#. You may have to call in if you can't do it online.

KillHour posted:

I train people to use the systems my company makes. I don't have a degree and I don't manage anybody, nor do I have any power to make important decisions that impact business without approval.

Check your email. I upgraded your flight.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
God bless my Chinese coworkers.

50 bucks a night seems expensive in Beijing, let's stay at some where cheaper like 35 bucks a night but takes us 1 hour traveling to the client! Since the subways are cheap, it's ok!

Trying to save money for the company. Oh and we are all doubling up a room.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

caberham posted:

50 bucks a night seems expensive in Beijing, let's stay at some where cheaper like 35 bucks a night but takes us 1 hour traveling to the client! Since the subways are cheap, it's ok!

Isn't Beijing crazy expensive or am I thinking somewhere else?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

One Mile At A Time just gave away two nights at a Hilton Curio hotel as part of a contest. I didn't win--some guy named Luke did--or even enter, but I enjoyed myself all the same:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

Isn't Beijing crazy expensive or am I thinking somewhere else?

All cities can be, but it's irrelevant.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sellouts posted:

All cities can be, but it's irrelevant.

Sorry yeah that was an incomplete thought. I was more surprised that a $50 room could even be found in Beijing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

Check your email. I upgraded your flight.

Thanks man, you rock.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

One Mile At A Time just gave away two nights at a Hilton Curio hotel as part of a contest. I didn't win--some guy named Luke did--or even enter, but I enjoyed myself all the same:

LOL

caberham posted:

Oh my god. Beijing is like one of the cheapest cities in the world for luxury hotels. The Shangri La goes for $100 or less.

KillHour posted:

Thanks man, you rock.

No problem. Now you can buy me platinum after your flight if you're feeling generous :smug:

Enjoy your flight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're a good person for upgrading someone's flight here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Yea, wanting to go to Europe on Delta from SFO is really my biggest problem. I'll probably end up doing delta metal, pay with miles, and global upgrade certs for my flights.

If you're a DM call the Diamond desk. They're quite good.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm about to embark on an adventure - since I'm single and no family, I'm flying Allegiant to Las Vegas. Looking at flight stats that flight is in the bottom 10% on time arrival. In fact the Monday flight was 6 hours late due to *reasons*.

The good news is the ticket was hella cheap, I'm in no hurry (on mandatory vacation the next 3 weeks), and have a phone loaded with books, TV shows, and a battery pack.

Worst case scenario is I give up, go home, and book a flight for the next day.

I'll report back how comically bad this turns out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can't report here if you die in a plane crash.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I'm about to embark on an adventure - since I'm single and no family, I'm flying Allegiant to Las Vegas. Looking at flight stats that flight is in the bottom 10% on time arrival. In fact the Monday flight was 6 hours late due to *reasons*.

The good news is the ticket was hella cheap, I'm in no hurry (on mandatory vacation the next 3 weeks), and have a phone loaded with books, TV shows, and a battery pack.

My coworker flew from Detroit to Las Vegas on Allegiant. Well, he tried. They didn't latch the door correctly, and as they were going down the runway for takeoff it came open. Good luck!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm flying Allegiant LCK to SFB (yes those are real airports)

Your post made me realize I didn't check the flight stats. One leg is on time 75% of the time with an average delay of 20 min, the other is like 90% with an average delay of 20 min. That's not that bad for what I paid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How does a plane exploding midair impact the average delay for those calculations?

Edit: Quick question. If I'm at 73,056 PQM on United and I go LAX-ORD-BUF, that's definitely going to put me over for plat, right?

Secondly, after i fly airplanes upgraded me, I only see LAX-ORD in my itinerary. Is that normal? I like Chicago, but I'm not exactly looking to spend New Years' there.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 21, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm flying Allegiant LCK to SFB (yes those are real airports)

Your post made me realize I didn't check the flight stats. One leg is on time 75% of the time with an average delay of 20 min, the other is like 90% with an average delay of 20 min. That's not that bad for what I paid.

I could only dream of those stats for my flight.

I didn't drill in earlier, but the flight is on-time 70% of the time, but the average delay is 4.5 hours. It looks like Monday's flight had 3 aircraft changes, hence the 6 hour delay. It also looks like flight stats did a good job of picking up each change and subsequent delay as it was happening.

My plan is to check on the flight before I leave the house - if there's more than a 2 hour delay, I'm executing the backup plan.

The good news is there's a Delta direct the next morning with plenty of open seats and I have enough miles to cover it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

You really ought to google Allegiant and safety. My parents refuse to fly them now. Too many bad experiences.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well, I'm definitely done for the year. It was unexpectedly my most travel yet. I think next year will be a big drop but then again I thought that last year too.

On Delta
MQM: 122k (about 30k of that was rollover)
MQS: 86
MQD: $14k

Marriott: 91 nights
Hilton: 6 nights
IHG: 4 nights

Hertz: 10 days
National: 74 days

I really wish MQDs rolled over.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rex-Goliath posted:

Sorry yeah that was an incomplete thought. I was more surprised that a $50 room could even be found in Beijing

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express around the 5th ring in Yizhuangzhen that was brand new and really nice for $53 a night a few weeks ago. The Pullman right down the street was like $60/night but of course you don't get to stay there because it's more expensive! I also stayed at a gorgeous Sofitel right downtown for like $180/night.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Goober Peas posted:

Problem with Allegient is they don't have any agreements to put you on other carriers so there might not be available seats on any flight for like a month.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I think 90% of the sales at the lone bar and my small regional airport home base are from people waiting on delayed Allegient flights to Vegas.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I went ahead and booked the Delta non-stop using points. I just Googled "Allegiant and MEM" and it was pretty drat scary.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and booked the Delta non-stop using points. I just Googled "Allegiant and MEM" and it was pretty drat scary.

The girl who writes the main "what's going on in Memphis this weekend" blog was basically given a free trip by Allegiant so that she would write about how great it is.....and they screwed her over several times in both directions. They can't even buy good press correctly

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i have a known traveller number (tsa pre, but mine is from the nexus program) but united are consistently unable to print me a boarding pass with the tsa pre check. even when providing the number at check in they're unable to do it. i suspect this is because i travel on a uk passport generally and their systems can't handle the combination of non-us/canadian passport + ktn. they also insist i need an eTA visa to travel to canada which is insane since i'm a canadian citizen. american, alaska and air canada all have no problems printing me the correct boarding pass. is there a workaround or should i just stop flying with united?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

How does a plane exploding midair impact the average delay for those calculations?

Edit: Quick question. If I'm at 73,056 PQM on United and I go LAX-ORD-BUF, that's definitely going to put me over for plat, right?

Secondly, after i fly airplanes upgraded me, I only see LAX-ORD in my itinerary. Is that normal? I like Chicago, but I'm not exactly looking to spend New Years' there.
It's normal because my upgrade was only good for one segment, so I couldn't upgrade your ORD-BUF. But that's a pretty short flight anyways.

The trip will put you over plat. LAX-ORD-BUF is 2218 miles.

the talent deficit posted:

i have a known traveller number (tsa pre, but mine is from the nexus program) but united are consistently unable to print me a boarding pass with the tsa pre check. even when providing the number at check in they're unable to do it. i suspect this is because i travel on a uk passport generally and their systems can't handle the combination of non-us/canadian passport + ktn. they also insist i need an eTA visa to travel to canada which is insane since i'm a canadian citizen. american, alaska and air canada all have no problems printing me the correct boarding pass. is there a workaround or should i just stop flying with united?

If you are a Canadian citizen, you need a Canadian passport to enter Canada now. Like every other country does. The only exception is for dual American/Canadian citizens, who don't need a eTA/ESTA anyways to enter either country. So bring your Canadian passport along, show the agent, and that'll make them stop asking for it. Not sure why UA is not flagging you for TSA Pre, check if your birthdate/middle names line up.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 22, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i fly airplanes posted:

If you are a Canadian citizen, you need a Canadian passport to enter Canada now. Like every other country does. The only exception is for dual American/Canadian citizens, who don't need a eTA/ESTA anyways to enter either country. So bring your Canadian passport along, show the agent, and that'll make them stop asking for it. Not sure why UA is not flagging you for TSA Pre, check if your birthdate/middle names line up.

this is wrong but it doesnt matter since the agents can always issue me a boarding pass. it's the check in kiosks that can't

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Well, I'm definitely done for the year. It was unexpectedly my most travel yet. I think next year will be a big drop but then again I thought that last year too.

On Delta
MQM: 122k (about 30k of that was rollover)
MQS: 86
MQD: $14k

Marriott: 91 nights
Hilton: 6 nights
IHG: 4 nights

Hertz: 10 days
National: 74 days

I really wish MQDs rolled over.

You're 3k MQM and 1k short of MQD for Diamond.............. in your situation I would totally mileage run. Go somewhere warm after Christmas.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

this is wrong but it doesnt matter since the agents can always issue me a boarding pass. it's the check in kiosks that can't

check in kiosks will always make you go see an agent if there's anything that needs to be verified, like a visa, or even exotic passports for international travel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I get Global Entry, does that do anything for my wife when we travel together?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
For what it's worth, my wife has received TSA Pre while traveling on the same itinerary as me. She doesn't have any secure flight info (she's not even American, she's Canadian) but I have GE. Ymmv

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smackfu posted:

If I get Global Entry, does that do anything for my wife when we travel together?

No

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

smackfu posted:

It'll make you run her down to the airport for her interview appointment

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
If she's anything like my SO she'll be thankful she doesn't have Pre√ since the last two times we've flown together her line has gone faster without it than mine with.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
If you have a known traveler number, other passengers on your itinerary also get TSA PreCheck, they just have a flag on their boarding pass that tells the TSA to swab them for bomb juice. At least, this was the policy a year ago, I haven't had a chance to verify since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nah, my mom didn't get swabbed when she was on my itinerary.

Also man, my precheck line always go faster, especially when people have winter clothes on.