Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure. _ON LN2_.
oh. :ohdear: I thought that would be on water or something silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
ShadowPlay just disappeared from Geforce Experience 2.11.4.0 for me and other people. Anyone know what the gently caress? It's still active and working in Overwatch as of right now but I can't configure it at all.
No software changes or even reboot since yesterday, when it was working.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

oh. :ohdear: I thought that would be on water or something silly.

I wondered why anyone gave that more than a passing "huh".

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

betamax hipster posted:

I wondered why anyone gave that more than a passing "huh".
Reading D&D did bad things to my intelligence I think I will stick to C-SPAM

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

ShadowPlay just disappeared from Geforce Experience 2.11.4.0 for me and other people. Anyone know what the gently caress? It's still active and working in Overwatch as of right now but I can't configure it at all.
No software changes or even reboot since yesterday, when it was working.

While odd, GFE is now well into the 3.x versions and you should really upgrade. I'm not even sure older versions are getting all the driver updates.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The Iron Rose posted:

While odd, GFE is now well into the 3.x versions and you should really upgrade. I'm not even sure older versions are getting all the driver updates.
I install drivers the old-fashioned way. I only use GFE for ShadowPlay and refused to upgrade since at least the initial GFE 3 was a downgrade. Overlayed logos, terrible interface, and IIRC it required me to save 5 minute recordings when I only wanted ~1 minute.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I install drivers the old-fashioned way. I only use GFE for ShadowPlay and refused to upgrade since at least the initial GFE 3 was a downgrade. Overlayed logos, terrible interface, and IIRC it required me to save 5 minute recordings when I only wanted ~1 minute.

Why can't you just let NVidia show you The Way It's Meant To Be Played?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Reading D&D did bad things to my intelligence I think I will stick to C-SPAM

Anyone who willingly reads DnD should get checked out for lasting damage

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The division was patched for DX12, the result is pretty obvious wrt Radeon cards.

https://www.techpowerup.com/228800/tom-clancys-the-division-gets-directx-12-update-rx-480-beats-gtx-1060-by-16

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Need to see FCAT numbers to make a proper judgement really. A few more FPS is no use if the frametimes are jumping all over the place, e.g.:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Need to see FCAT numbers to make a proper judgement really. A few more FPS is no use if the frametimes are jumping all over the place, e.g.:

99.9% percentile frames also work as well

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Huh. Well, I know that I could set shadow play (or share now), to record less than the last 5 minutes. Or record with no time limit at all, for that matter. The interface isn't stellar, but it's actually not half bad. You just hit alt-z and edit everything in the overlay. That may be a matter of personal preference though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus, if I have to start taking loving LIQUID NITROGEN results into account as to which video card I buy, gently caress it, I'm out.

No but I think it would be interesting to see how far you could go on air if the cards are indeed locked in some way or another. If I'm getting 2100 mhz now at 67 degrees there is headroom to spare. Then add simple water cooling and what could you do then... etc etc

My hope is its unlockable, but I have a feeling if the first time its been done is by an AIB it is probably limited in a hardware manner that can't simply be overridden by any software means.

The Iron Rose posted:

Huh. Well, I know that I could set shadow play (or share now), to record less than the last 5 minutes. Or record with no time limit at all, for that matter. The interface isn't stellar, but it's actually not half bad. You just hit alt-z and edit everything in the overlay. That may be a matter of personal preference though.

The interface is my favorite part tbh. A universal overlay is pretty awesome, simplicity is the name of the game for me in regards to recording.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, did anyone else see that the new Radeon drivers can be set to record H.265 with RX 480 and friends? I can confirm it works perfectly as advertised on the RX 480, it pumps out HEVC files and VLC confirms they're real.

Does NVidia even do this yet?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The biggest gains you'll get out of Pascal once you're taking the step of using LN2 cylinders come from adding external power to supplement the on board power delivery. Trick the VRM into thinking the GPU is only drawing like 140 watts and you'll work around all of the artificial overclocking limitations placed on Pascal. I don't think it's a con to allow Nvidia to release a rebadged version without limited power for the "1100" series, it's more just a side effect of protecting the card and preventing it from killing itself if something genuinely is wrong. This generation feels like it might actually be the least power limited relative to previous generations since you see many more reports of Pascal cards artifacting before crashing than you used to with Kepler and Maxwell. People with power hungry dies end up stuck at a bit below 2.1Ghz (The worst I saw was one only doing 2Ghz) but people with great dies still end up only hitting a bit above 2.1Ghz before artifacting. Conventional wisdom is that you want a really power hungry die for LN2 because they seem to respond better, on average, to lots of voltage and sub ambient cooling, but that extra power demand means you need to supplement the on board power delivery.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

They have the hardware for HEVC encoding but they haven't integrated it into ShadowPlay/Share yet :(

Apparently they support lossless HEVC since Pascal, I wonder what the bitrate is like for that...

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 20, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

By the way, did anyone else see that the new Radeon drivers can be set to record H.265 with RX 480 and friends? I can confirm it works perfectly as advertised on the RX 480, it pumps out HEVC files and VLC confirms they're real.

From what I gathered before yes any 950 series and newer can do it, its just not native to shadowplay. I dont know if its true but I remember the reason being nothing supported h.265 yet (twitch, youtube streaming, and youtube in general). But you can use it in third party programs and use the GPU to record in H.265 and also to encode H.265 stuff much faster than any other method

edit: also I have no idea if those services support h265 now or anything

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 20, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm surprised no 'money is no object' hobbyist hasn't tried to construct a closed-loop LN2 cooling system (yes I know the infeasibility of this). I've also heard very little about phase change/refrigerant-based cooling systems in a long time.

Man remember when vapochill was a thing? Used to be tons of enthusiasts had phase change in the basements of their lian li cases, ostensibly to cool the ridiculous Pentium 4 Extreme Editions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
man, that's a old-rear end brand name. I had to go back and google it, because I remembered vapochill being specifically air heatsinks with a single giant fluid reservoir that the heatpipes tapped off of, and then I saw that it was Asetek, and then everything came flooding back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

penus penus penus posted:

From what I gathered before yes any 950 series and newer can do it, its just not native to shadowplay. I dont know if its true but I remember the reason being nothing supported h.265 yet (twitch, youtube streaming, and youtube in general). But you can use it in third party programs and use the GPU to record in H.265 and also to encode H.265 stuff much faster than any other method

edit: also I have no idea if those services support h265 now or anything

Yeah, there's two questions here. The first is whether NVENC supports H265 in "speed" mode. It also has a "quality" mode but that seems like it might possibly involve variable framerate output/etc because you generally don't care about doing archival-grade transcodes in real-time (with H265 you're doing real well if you hit 1/8th or 1/6th of real-time, that's like HEDT level performance on a CPU). The other is whether Twitch/Youtube/etc support H265 and AFAIK that's a definite no. They will convert it for you after the fact for static videos... but I guess it also means that you can get more quality out per megabyte, so that may still be a win for people on tight data caps or with low upload bandwidth.

At least as of a couple months ago it looks like the answer is you record in high-bitrate H264 and squish it down later. Which is what I've always done anyway, just to H264 instead of H265.

In theory there's no reason you couldn't automate this after the fact. GPU encoders are ludicrously powerful compared to what they expose to us. A GP204 was capable of doing 28 separate 1080p streams in real-time - it's just locked down on consumer cards, to get the 28 streams you need to buy the Quadro. The GTX cards won't let you do more than like 2 or 4 at a time, but the hardware is just as fast under the hood and any individual stream can go pretty fast.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 21, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Man remember when vapochill was a thing? Used to be tons of enthusiasts had phase change in the basements of their lian li cases, ostensibly to cool the ridiculous Pentium 4 Extreme Editions.

Peltier/TEMs have gone the way of the Dodo as well, it seems. My guess is that Vapochills got too expensive to recharge, or violated some regulations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Also goes to show there is nothing other than a 1080 that manages to stay above 60fps which means you still stand to gain from free/g-sync when playing at 1080p.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I've been having an issue starting within the past few days. I've only tested this in Overwatch so far, but after a while in game my framerate will tank dramatically and the frame time stuttering/hitching/whatever is completely unbearable. I cannot figure out what triggers this. After looking at some Afterburner graphs just now it seems to show that my CPU of all things is getting a big spike in usage and then the GPU usage drops from ~100% to highly variable. It would seem on the face of it that the GPU is getting severely bottlenecked out of nowhere but I don't know where the problem really lies. Of course I initially expected GPU issues but now I'm not so sure. I tried to catch a program in task manager using some inordinate amount of CPU but I've yet to see anything.

Before hand I average probably 70-80 fps and its as butter smooth as it will ever be (60 hz, 1440p, 125% res scaling). Then it drops to 30-50 but its much worse than that in reality with the frame times. If anything it reminds me of a computer running out of ram but I can't see any relation there anywhere either.

What's also odd is while my CPU starts getting pegged at ~100%, the temps dont rise at all...

All I've done so far is DDU, some game settings, reinstall game. I've got a 6700k @ 4.6 ghz and a 1070 G1 with a mild OC. Anybody have a clue here?

The true terribleness of the frame times is not really reflected at all due to the very long (relatively speaking) polling but I assure you its ridiculously bad

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What are you doing thats using so much RAM and Pagefile?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SlayVus posted:

What are you doing thats using so much RAM and Pagefile?

I just looked and I have no idea. Even idling with Discord, Steam, maybe two tabs of Chrome I'm somehow using 30% of my ram. I even went through every process (shown anyway) and it only adds up to about 2 GB, vs 5 GB its showing being used :confused:.

lol I just saw the "ulmost"

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 21, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, the Nvidia Switch is going to use the Tegra X1 and not the X2. =|a

Ninty gonna Ninty, I guess.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Vapochill! Topic hijack time as that brings me back. Back to the good old days when I first cut my teeth on overclocking. My mum's parter was a computer enthusiast guy who was in the top somethingorother for overclocking benchmark stuff.

I used to be so jealous, he'd be there with his dual xeon chips, newest graphics card and some kinda crazy rear end vapochill setup cooling the cpus. The whole thing ran off an external custom psu with integrated alarm system.

The drat thing took a good 5 minutes to post, as you had to allow the vapochill unit to boot up and sufficiently chill it's gasses before bringing the computer itself fully switched on.

Did I mention he also had dual peltier cooling on the cpus too? Oh yeah, he did and it was crazy. Occasionally if something got too warm, too cold, too damp too, too moist, too happy or too sad the klaxon would begin and our neighbours were alerted to the fact his computer wasn't running at optimal conditions.

He set a great many benchmarks but man, even then I felt it was such a waste, it ran nothing except benchmarks. I remember sitting at my pc, a 1.3 athlon with an mx440 graphics card, playing gta 3 at a whopping 15fps dreaming of how amazing it would look on his rig.

I've still got the container of dielectric grease he used to seal it, it's come in super useful over the years I must admit.

This was after he moved on from a custom water loop, which I later had passed down to me and used it on a core 2 duo. The entire thing was ramshackle, danger den waterblock, aquarium hose, fish tank pump and a really unsafe looking relay that powered the pump since it was mains powered.

It also had a 2 bay res that fitted in the floppy disk area. Yes, thus meant removing all cd drives and stuff in area above it to fill it. Major pain.

To make this a bit more gpu related, the mx 440 I mentioned was a beast and continued chugging along until about 2 years ago when a capacitor finally leaked too much goop.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Dad [H]ard, so what

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Icept posted:

Dad [H]ard, so what

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, the Nvidia Switch is going to use the Tegra X1 and not the X2. =|a

Ninty gonna Ninty, I guess.
:laffo:

keep loving that chicken nintendo

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They are trying to teach officer Barbrady to read.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

at least they're supporting vulkan alongside their custom api, so there's not too much friction for developers doing ports

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#vulkan

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It also more than halves the GPU clock when undocked

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

It also more than halves the GPU clock when undocked
:psypop:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, undocked it's driving a 720p screen.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PerrineClostermann posted:

To be fair, undocked it's driving a 720p screen.

It is, but at ~300Mhz the X1 can be expected to perform at-or-below a cellphone. And not even a current-gen phone. A last gen phone.

It's also a 6" screen. So basically Nintendo is releasing a mediocre-specced smart phone that isn't particularly smart and can't make calls, but does have a built in controller and a nice dock for when you want to play on your TV! :haw:

Kinda confused as to why they'd even bother with this instead of just publishing mobile games: they're effectively doing the same thing here, but with a self-limited market segment of maybe 10-20M at best instead of the entire mobile gaming market.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
gotta keep the price down for the kiddos

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
What, the kiddos who already spend their time glued to mommy and daddy's hand me down last-gen iPhones?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

People who buy a dedicated portable console might be more willing to actually buy a game than your average mobile gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's an environment that will serve actual games, not the time waster 5 dollar things we see on the play store. Standardized and actually used controllers, etc.

I think it's best to see it as a 3DS successor.