Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

oRenj9 posted:

And just think, 12.5% is less than a typical loss year for the S&P500.

A lot of people are going to be real sad when they experience their first bust.

I started making annual lump sum contributions to my IRA in 2007 and made my 2008 contribution early in the year, before the financial crisis. Index funds, safe stuff, what could possibly go wrong????

Ask me how thrilled I was in 2012 when I STILL had a negative lifetime return. It's a minor miracle I didn't panic along the way and do something worthy of this thread like cash it all out into tungsten futures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Haha, I hear you. I started in earnest just in time for the dot com crash. Good times!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

You get really cheap rates through the dealership. Usually as an either/or to other promotions. Take 1% financing and forfeit XYZ dealer rebates. There is no free money.

Cue a bunch of people posting about their 0% loans that came with a handjob.

I got a higher rate in exchange for $2000 off the price and I ran the numbers and of course over the term of the loan it comes out to slightly more but I'm also paying it off ahead of schedule so it comes out a bit less so I guess it comes down to actually doing the math and being good about repayment :shrug:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This guy is great, or a troll. Check this out:

quote:

AWESOME POST, WITH LOTS OF DETAILS
His reply (not joking):

quote:

Obviously you don't ride.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I've seen this referenced many times, but I have never seen the full story, and I suspect it is hilarious/horrifying. Can someone point me in a direction?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
wint is a funny Twitter account, the story implied by those two tweets isn't real

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

wint is a funny Twitter account, the story implied by those two tweets isn't real

It's still real to me, dammit!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pig slut lisa posted:

It's still real to me, dammit!

We know that while that instance isn't real, the substance of the story occurs at an alarming rate in the wild.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's funny that the guy owes $20k still on a Harley because even just $4k buys you a lot of motorcycle.

"Harley people" are a special brand of stupid. You don't buy a Harley because you want a motorcycle, you buy it because you want a Harley.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is it stupid to want a Harley?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The Bad With Money Thread - Obviously you don't ride

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
At our office Christmas party yesterday, one of my coworkers was complaining about how it was unfair that her credit card's 0% intro rate ran out right before Christmas and she had a large balance but can't pay it off because of Christmas spending. She thought that they scheduled it on purpose for December to rack up interest and late fees.

She was complaining about how surprisingly expensive it is to have a kid, which is understandable, and her kid is 2 so he has been growing out of clothes quickly and she spends a ton of money on them. The conversation eventually revealed that her credit card was a Neiman Marcus store card and she had spent about $6,000 on clothes and shoes for her kid there. I did not even know that Neiman Marcus sold baby clothes.

She also complained about how she dreads Christmas because of her mother-in-law's terrible gifts for her child. She mentioned that her MIL always buys clothes for her son and someone said, "Good!" and she went on to explain that her son has never worn any of the clothes his grandmother (her MIL) has bought him, because she buys them from Kohl's and Sam's Club ("and I don't want to offend anyone who shops there. It is fine for adults, but not for kids.") and she doesn't want her 2-year old to look like a "hood rat" in clothes from Kohl's.

$6k on clothes and shoes in one year for a toddler when she has free brand new clothes available.

I don't even get how she is attached to that brand either since it's not like there are very recognizable logos or styles of baby clothes from Neiman Marcus.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

They're like the Apple of motorcycles, you're paying a premium for the brand name, not product quality.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

At our office Christmas party yesterday, one of my coworkers was complaining about how it was unfair that her credit card's 0% intro rate ran out right before Christmas and she had a large balance but can't pay it off because of Christmas spending.

Man, if only they would warn you in advance which years Christmas is going to happen!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Harley is a very good marketing and consumer finance company that happens to make motorcycles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WampaLord posted:

They're like the Apple of motorcycles, you're paying a premium for the brand name, not product quality.

So "no" if it matches my experience on laptops and operating systems. Gotcha.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Known Lecher posted:

I started making annual lump sum contributions to my IRA in 2007 and made my 2008 contribution early in the year, before the financial crisis. Index funds, safe stuff, what could possibly go wrong????

Ask me how thrilled I was in 2012 when I STILL had a negative lifetime return. It's a minor miracle I didn't panic along the way and do something worthy of this thread like cash it all out into tungsten futures.

I started my kid's 529 plan right before the Dot Com bust. I don't think I broke even until right before the Great Recession.

My other kid's account, who managed to avoid two Bush recessions is poised to have about 30% more money when she starts school.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sundae posted:

SFO --> JFK, Taxi to Long Island, LIRR to NYP, NYP Amtrak to Boston, Bus from Boston to Nashua NH, taxi from Nashua to Manchester Airport, and then Manchester back out to SFO. Changing in everywhere under the sun. Somewhere in between, I'm supposed to visit a bunch of family, but I'm more or less just dreading the transit now. :v:
As someone with family across the world, you are indulging these people too much. Tell them you can't make it every year, start a rotation, ask why they never visit you. Didn't your wife have surgery earlier this year? (I promise I am not creeping on you). I hope this is all for beloved relatives that may die in the 2017 purges or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

$6k on clothes and shoes in one year for a toddler when she has free brand new clothes available.

I don't even get how she is attached to that brand either since it's not like there are very recognizable logos or styles of baby clothes from Neiman Marcus.
Holy moly. I have two kids and I don't see a point in getting them new clothes before they're 4 or 5; before that they rapidly outgrow anything before they wear it out, and you can find tons of stuff in great condition at thrift stores, or just buy cheap stuff that won't fall apart before they grow two inches. I still buy things new when its needed, but there is so much churn in toddle clothes it is ridiculous not to take advantage of it. Heck, we get clothes just from other families with older kids offloading it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

So "no" if it matches my experience on laptops and operating systems. Gotcha.

Apple is not a good comparison. Harley makes very lovely motorcycles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

OK, thanks. I've never ridden one, so I don't have a basis for comparison with every other motorcycle which I also haven't ridden.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't follow you here :v:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Enos Cabell posted:

But Harley doesn't make you buy a proprietary gas pump adapter

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Harley makes you buy all sorts of proprietary Harley poo poo to make your POS with outdated underpowered engines louder and covered in more dangly gaudy bits so you can pretend to be a badass while never actually riding anywhere.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Well, https://aafes.lvhd.com/products/products.aspx?productID=4401

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Guinness posted:

7.5% is really high for an auto loan if you have even decent credit. The really really low sub-1% loans are manufacturer-subsidized rates on new cars, but a regular non-subsidized car loan should only run like 2-3% right now.

My credit union is right now offering 2.09% on model year 2014 and newer cars, and 2.69% on model year 2013 and older.

I bought a 30k 2005 used car with half of it financed at 1.85% a few years ago, looks like they are doing 1.75% now. Shop around for credit unions.

https://www.atfcu.org this is the one I used.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Being fat is BWM because you can no longer do anything under your own power so you have to buy an engine for each hobby.

Running shoes replaced with a sport cars.
Pedal bike replaced by a motorbike.
Swim suit replaced by a skidoo.
Canoe replaced by a motorboat.
Skis replaced by a snowmobile.
Hiking boots replaced by an ATV quad.
Tent replaced by a motorhome.

It's basically Barrie, Ontario. People who commute three hours a day so they can afford a giant house full of toys. The residents are laden with consumer debt and all the stores are pickup dealerships and stores for recreational engine things.

A lot of recreational vehicles have absurd loan lengths to keep the price of a new boat $100 per month but effectively forever. Also there is zero secondary market value for most of these toys.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 21, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Known Lecher posted:

Ask me how thrilled I was in 2012 when I STILL had a negative lifetime return.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't think I broke even until right before the Great Recession.

Where you 100% equities or something?

Content: renting at a loss because you want the residual income.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

cowofwar posted:

Being fat is BWM because you can no longer do anything under your own power so you have to buy an engine for each hobby.

Running shoes replaced with a sport cars.
Pedal bike replaced by a motorbike.
Swim suit replaced by a skidoo.
Canoe replaced by a motorboat.
Skis replaced by a snowmobile.
Hiking boots replaced by an ATV quad.
Tent replaced by a motorhome.

It's basically Barrie, Ontario. People who commute three hours a day so they can afford a giant house full of toys. The residents are laden with consumer debt and all the stores are pickup dealerships and stores for recreational engine things.

A lot of recreational vehicles have absurd loan lengths to keep the price of a new boat $100 per month but effectively forever. Also there is zero secondary market value for most of these toys.

Yes, the only reason for having a car or motorcycle instead of a bicycle or running shoes is because you're fat. The whole 15 mph versus 100 mph makes no difference.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Subjunctive posted:

Apple makes objectionable engineering decisions to build a moat and inject tech into their respective markets.

HD makes objectionable engineering decisions to reject the engineering decisions other non-American manufacturers embrace (e.g. liquid cooling, overhead cams, balanced crankshafts, efficient and powerful engine timing) to maintain consistency with past generations of Harley. If you're familiar with Corvette criticisms (LOL LEAFSPRINGS, pushrod v8s, etc) then it's a much more apt analogy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ate all the Oreos posted:

I got a higher rate in exchange for $2000 off the price and I ran the numbers and of course over the term of the loan it comes out to slightly more but I'm also paying it off ahead of schedule so it comes out a bit less so I guess it comes down to actually doing the math and being good about repayment :shrug:

that's fine, you're supposed to refinance it though after a couple of months though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Day Man posted:

Yes, the only reason for having a car or motorcycle instead of a bicycle or running shoes is because you're fat. The whole 15 mph versus 100 mph makes no difference.
Sorry let me qualify that as fat lazy suburban consumer whore.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

monster on a stick posted:

There were people getting upset over the minor dip earlier this year.

Meanwhile, this post in my Facebook stream shows that Morty knows not to time the market:

edit: Thanks a lot, imgur. Edited to timg

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 23, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SpelledBackwards posted:

Meanwhile, this post in my Facebook stream shows that Morty knows not to time the market:

jesus christ timg

Also not funny :confused:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Sorry let me qualify that as fat lazy suburban consumer whore.

Truly, the mall is full of mindless fucks

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
New to financing and stuff, how do I go about refinancing?

~10K car loan in April, $202 a month payments for 60 months at about 7.25%

I have been paying the minimums while I've been paying off my higher % credit off.

The current plan is credit card will be paid off this month freeing up $200. It was a joint credit card debt with the ex-wife, so I have been paying $100 less a month in child support as it's "her half". So the plan has been that extra $100 will go to the car for about $300 a month.

I plan on it being at about $8K by the end of the year. I'm estimating being able to throw another $1K at it come tax time, and another $3K come April FAFSA payment.

So, knowing how life works, I'm shooting on realistically having it down to $5K in April, 50% paid off in a year.

The only other debt I have is about $2K to a family member at 0% who doesn't really care how quick I pay it back as long as I'm paying something. I currently throw her $50 a paycheck and then a couple hundred when I receive a big payment like FAFSA. I also watch her dog about 1 weekend a month for $100.

So, do I just contact a credit union and let them know what I owe and that I'm looking to refinance?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Really wish I wasn't so fat so I could run 20 miles to work every day

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Where you 100% equities or something?

529 plans have at most 18 - 20 years to grow, and that's if you open them right when your kids are born. So they are pretty aggressive early on and get more conservative as your kid enters high school.

I just logged on to compare returns. Daughter number 1, about a 40% return lifetime. Daughter number 2 is 80%. It's all in the timing.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

If you're familiar with Corvette criticisms (LOL LEAFSPRINGS, pushrod v8s, etc) then it's a much more apt analogy.

Those are not objectionable engineering decisions. The Corvette is a completely modern, competitive sports car whose engineering decisions make sense given it's design. It is supposed to be a very compact FMR car and the engine design and rear suspension achieve that better than the alternatives (compare the hatches of the 370Z to the 'Vette). Naturally, a mid-engine Porsche would never share those designs because engine displacement is important in Germany and there'd be no room for an engine between the rear wheels.

Harleys are overpriced crap that people buy purely for image. An entry-level Street Glider is like $22k while a Yamaha V-Star starts under $5k and they don't even sell a cruiser anywhere close to $22,000. At least Apple phones are at least priced and featured competitively. They may not have all the features of a high-end phone like an Galaxy S7, such as doubling as a hand-grenade, but it's not like you're paying three times the price for the same stuff.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
edit: new title edit!

ego symphonic posted:

Really wish I wasn't so fat so I could run 20 miles to work every day

This except I wish I was the Flash. I would save some small money this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
All this auto loan chat made me go check my auto loan, the statements are at home because I never bothered setting up e-statements so I'm not certain, but I think my APR is just north of 6%, so gently caress me, right?

• Locked thread