Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

that's a lot of words to say "no matter what, I'll be a dipshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no, he's just someone who has a limit to how low he'll stoop in life.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/verge/status/811404515744378880

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

was an apple radar response discussed at a meetup. can't really pass those around publicly due to apple nda's and all

blog that got a lot of this stuff going: http://michaellynn.github.io/2016/10/04/mDMacOS/ , apple dev's have been hinting that profiles are going to be the only management option real soon.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

WilWheaton posted:

was an apple radar response discussed at a meetup. can't really pass those around publicly due to apple nda's and all

blog that got a lot of this stuff going: http://michaellynn.github.io/2016/10/04/mDMacOS/ , apple dev's have been hinting that profiles are going to be the only management option real soon.

lol whoever wrote that blog post has brain problems.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

"hm yes any day now apple will push the 'full communism' button and destroy the ability to install to /Applications thus making it impossible to distribute apps outside of the app store, a move that would cause pretty much every organization or professional user to abandon their platform in a hot minute, that's a reasonable thing that's going to happen"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

"hm yes apple is going to break writing to /etc, sudo, root, and everything else because reasons"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

"hm yes any day now apple will push the 'full communism' button and destroy the ability to install to /Applications thus making it impossible to distribute apps outside of the app store, a move that would cause pretty much every organization or professional user to abandon their platform in a hot minute, that's a reasonable thing that's going to happen"

uncurable mlady posted:

"hm yes apple is going to break writing to /etc, sudo, root, and everything else because reasons"

tbh this sounds almost exactly like something apple/tim would do given their track record over the last year or two

they've got enough market share amongst upper middle class types at this point that they have no reason to give a poo poo about web developers because they likely don't bring them any direct profit beyond the hardware, whereas app developers can install xcode via the app store and those apps are guaranteed to bring apple profit if they cost anything more than free

it's a horrendously dumb thing but it really wouldn't be super shocking at this point if they want the true walled garden and are shifting more and more towards ios

Citizen Tayne posted:

Tim destroyed Apple.

if apple has a really bad first half I could see him being gone by winter but who knows what the internal perception is right now. next ceo should 1000% be craig though.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if you aren't an ios developer you don't matter to apple. swift might be open source but it's pure posturing at this point and the language isn't anything more than a way for devs to not have to write objc which probably isn't even that horrible these days.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Yeah , why would apple force more revenue to their app store. That'd be dumb.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

triple sulk posted:

tbh this sounds almost exactly like something apple/tim would do given their track record over the last year or two

what the gently caress are you talking about? Tim is the one who got Microsoft on stage at a product announcement to show off Microsoft office for iOS and also put an app on the Play Store. they've done the exact opposite of being completely closed off

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? Tim is the one who got Microsoft on stage at a product announcement to show off Microsoft office for iOS and also put an app on the Play Store. they've done the exact opposite of being completely closed off

apple music is garbage though and imessage is still closed off and literally the only reason a lot of people wont leave ios

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
nah the app is the switching to iPhone app

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I won't leave iOS because I don't like complete garbage handsets

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

triple sulk posted:

they've got enough market share amongst upper middle class types at this point that they have no reason to give a poo poo about web developers because they likely don't bring them any direct profit beyond the hardware, whereas app developers can install xcode via the app store and those apps are guaranteed to bring apple profit if they cost anything more than free

it's a horrendously dumb thing but it really wouldn't be super shocking at this point if they want the true walled garden and are shifting more and more towards ios

if apple has a really bad first half I could see him being gone by winter but who knows what the internal perception is right now. next ceo should 1000% be craig though.

lmao analysis by sulk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

this would completely break all their development toolchains

so i expect it to happen q1 2017, q2 at the latest

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

triple sulk posted:

apple music is garbage though and imessage is still closed off and literally the only reason a lot of people wont leave ios

the longer they keep iMessage iOS only the more people switch to Facebook or other (cross platform) messaging apps and become even less attached to Apple.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you think anyone sticks with iphones just fot imessage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

boy im dying to switch over to using absolutely garbage but i can't lose muh blue bubbles!!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

now that all idevices and macs can send/receive sms through your phone, you dont need imessage as much anymore anyway.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

this would completely break all their development toolchains

so i expect it to happen q1 2017, q2 at the latest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

now that all idevices and macs can send/receive sms through your phone, you dont need imessage as much anymore anyway.

imessage is something ive just considered a bonus. like i can text you, or if you have imessage too i can send you a picture

never managed to get MMS to work on ioso ever

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
so apparently apple was going to take away the ability to charge the new macbooks, figuring people would just buy new ones once the battery ran out.

they didn't end up doing it but ugh knowing how much of a fuckup tim is it's only a matter of time

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
its only a matter of tim

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i've never gotten an mms to work ever

and imessage is truly some next level messaging. no more waiting on your carrier to deliver your messages out of order.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Apple Music is good. I use it every day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you even have a personality left

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

Apple Music is good. I use it every day

so you're the one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i use whatever the thing is tha tkeeps my my music in apples cloud

it works p good

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

when I was waiting in line to buy the WiiU (yes there was actually a line) literally everyone there was waiting for the black one except me (everyone got a ticket to hold onto depending on which model you wanted). the guy in front of me asked me why I wanted the white one, and I told him because it's going to look greasy and scuffed up after 45 minutes. he thought that was a funny reason, but it's true. plus I'm italian which doesn't help.

i remember my friend's glossy Toshiba laptop was the grossest looking thing I ever saw and he was a pretty clean guy. My 7 year old thinkpad still looks great though, even though we are probably both as equally messy/not messy. this trend of glossy black electronics...it's gotta stop!

how often do you touch or move a wiiu tho?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

how often do you touch or move a wiiu tho?

good point however they ship it with the same color "tablet" and the black one looks like fingerprints.jpg in no time

there was a period of time where the white pro controller was worth a stupid amount of money too

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

good point

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hobbesmaster posted:

this seems like the result of a game of telephone

here in multicultural New Zealand, we call that game "Chinese Whispers".

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol what happens when you tell a person "badass" in chinese whisopers

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

echinopsis posted:

lol what happens when you tell a person "badass" in chinese whisopers

piss off

ufarn
May 30, 2009
clown town

https://twitter.com/Recode/status/811438552034775040

peripherals, dongles, and displays sold very, very separately

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Literal Garbage

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus Christ fire Tim Cook already

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol someone needs to hack Tims next keynote PowerPoint to have the Looney Tunes closing music on the last slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

discount dongs :dong:

• Locked thread