Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Must be a location thing. I can't remember the last time I spent less than 6bux on a meal. And on a date? Forget it.

on a meal sure, but on a sandwich? its two pieces of bread with stuff inside, if it costs more than £5 i'll just make one myself. also wouldnt personally go on a date to a sandwich shop but you do you i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

alright everyone time to turn in your ideas for super mario run

guy who's been at nintendo for one day: pink/purple/black coins

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Well, at least Super Mario Run will be more fun to talk about then the Switch will be.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

on a meal sure, but on a sandwich? its two pieces of bread with stuff inside, if it costs more than £5 i'll just make one myself. also wouldnt personally go on a date to a sandwich shop but you do you i guess.

Little hole in the wall dates are the best part of a longterm relationship.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

yeah but a got drat sandwich?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I guess my comment wasn't really about Stux eating sandwiches specifically.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think of glory holes as particularly long-term

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

yeah but a got drat sandwich?

I don't mind. It's usually a pretty good sandwich. Of the chicken variety.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

alright everyone time to turn in your ideas for super mario run

guy who's been at nintendo for one day: pink/purple/black coins
Can we make mushrooms kind of pointless by putting in more pits and things to put you into pits

Also everyone loved being stuck in a bubble in New SMB so can we make that happen a lot more often

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't mind. It's usually a pretty good sandwich. Of the chicken variety.

Is there cheese on it? This is important.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CrashCat posted:

Is there cheese on it? This is important.

I've fallen out of love with cheese on my sandwiches, sadly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've fallen out of love with cheese on my sandwiches, sadly.

i certainly wouldnt spend £5 on a cheese-less sandwich

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've spent more than £5 on a pizza, which is technically an open-faced sandwich

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sandwiches are good. Sandwiches made my other people are better. Sandwiches made by other people out of ingredients I tend not to have in stock at home are the best. Pretty much all of that necessitates spending more than the sticker price of a mobile game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I've spent more than £5 on a pizza, which is technically an open-faced sandwich

Ah, the original SandSwitch.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

i eat out, i dont eat at expensive sandwich places though i guess

do you not drink anything ever with your sandwich

i'd have my kidneys checked if i were you

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the sandwich is going to fail because there's already the bigger, more powerful, established pizza getting all the chese

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

i certainly wouldnt spend £5 on a cheese-less sandwich

I'm a sauce man.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are burritos sandwiches because I've definitely paid more than 7$ for a burrito

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Phone posted:

Are burritos sandwiches because I've definitely paid more than 7$ for a burrito

You better believe it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kawabata posted:

do you not drink anything ever with your sandwich

i'd have my kidneys checked if i were you

i can get a sandwich and a drink for less than £5

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

ok but for a point of comparison £6.99 puts in it the same price range as a final fantasy game, or a phoenix wright title. hell for £2 more you can get 3 full GTA titles. and thats only looking at other major game companies and ignoring tons of 79p - £2 titles which offer similar levels of content. it just feels very expensive for what is on offer given the market and i dont really see the justification for it.

I'm not sure why you'd compare it to games that were previously a lot more when brand new (GTA series was full price on consoles and better suited there) or games that are completely different (RPGS already, also, released before for more). Pricing on games isn't a universal thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, we get it, you live in England where you have cheap lovely beer and sandwiches.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

i can get a sandwich and a drink for less than £5

i'm european, so i don't know how to reply to that

boy did brexit depress your economy already

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

VideoGames posted:

I'm not sure why you'd compare it to games that were previously a lot more when brand new (GTA series was full price on consoles and better suited there) or games that are completely different (RPGS already, also, released before for more). Pricing on games isn't a universal thing.

im just comparing on a content basis. i mean we are talking about a market where you can get 10s of hours of content for the same price. we are also talking about a market where other games that are more similar are far cheaper. i was including games from other genres because its actually difficult to find a mario run style game at such a high price point to provide a comparison, which is possibly the best comparison available.

Phone posted:

Yeah, we get it, you live in England where you have cheap lovely beer and sandwiches.

noted american sandwich store subway does a sub and a drink for £3. not saying subway is good but i dont think its a uk thing to not spend tons on a basic sandwich.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Come on Stux. It's Christmastime. There's no reason to be insincere about how much you've spent on a sandwich.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

im just comparing on a content basis. i mean we are talking about a market where you can get 10s of hours of content for the same price. we are also talking about a market where other games that are more similar are far cheaper. i was including games from other genres because its actually difficult to find a mario run style game at such a high price point to provide a comparison, which is possibly the best comparison available.

They're not Mario, though. The polish, presentation and implementation of their first mobile game is excellent. As someone who loves Apple, surely you can understand why a Mario game might be more expensive (to you) than a lesser known entity without the backing of a major studio.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Video games are good and I hope I can preorder a Switch soon.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Stux posted:

10s of hours of content for the same price

but it's not the same content at all gameplay wise

gta is terrible lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I skipped straight from the hamburger to the sandwich. I hope they bring some of the meats from the hamburger because the sandwich already looks super tasty.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you measure the value of a game solely by the number of hours it keeps existential dread at bay with no regard for any other factors then congratulations, you're as dumb as stux.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I measure game value on how good of a sandwich it would take to get me to stop playing and go eat.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

Double Dash has three cups.

THREE.

I mean dgmw it's a good game but i replayed it recently and I was disappointed by that

It has four dude. So by replay you mean you played it once on 50cc or didn't win the cup on 100cc :lol:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

VideoGames posted:

They're not Mario, though. The polish, presentation and implementation of their first mobile game is excellent. As someone who loves Apple, surely you can understand why a Mario game might be more expensive (to you) than a lesser known entity without the backing of a major studio.

this doesnt make sense either though. sonic games dont command such a price premium. neither do star wars games. nor do angry bird games. sure, sonic might not be mario big, but i think you would agree that star wars and angry birds are certainly up there, if not a bigger draw, yet there isnt the premium that there is for this game. also, having just played the demo, i dont feel there is polish or presentation above or beyond the better mobile titles out there. it feels roughly the same, which is great because it means nintendo are well placed in mobile gaming already, but it still doesnt explain the price unless its literally a price gouge on nintendo fans, which is what it sounds like you are saying it is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Phantasium posted:

I skipped straight from the hamburger to the sandwich. I hope they bring some of the meats from the hamburger because the sandwich already looks super tasty.

you dummy a hamburger is a sandwich

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

TheScott2K posted:

If you measure the value of a game solely by the number of hours it keeps existential dread at bay with no regard for any other factors then congratulations, you're as dumb as stux.

i absolutely dont do this, but its pretty laughable to say such major full titles wouldnt be of at least a similar quality to a mario runner game so i feel they are fair comparisons. i did play the demo and it is fun but i think its a pretty steep price point for what is, essentially, a basic runner style game with mario branding, especially given the other titles available on the market in that price range.

Kawabata posted:

but it's not the same content at all gameplay wise

gta is terrible lol

i think this is a bit of a dismissive comment rather than an actual engagement. even if you dont personally like gta i think its pretty ridiculous to dismiss the comparison out of hand because you think theyre not up to snuff quality or content wise. these are big games, considered classics, that you happen to personally not enjoy. that doesnt erase the point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

this doesnt make sense either though. sonic games dont command such a price premium. neither do star wars games. nor do angry bird games. sure, sonic might not be mario big, but i think you would agree that star wars and angry birds are certainly up there, if not a bigger draw, yet there isnt the premium that there is for this game. also, having just played the demo, i dont feel there is polish or presentation above or beyond the better mobile titles out there. it feels roughly the same, which is great because it means nintendo are well placed in mobile gaming already, but it still doesnt explain the price unless its literally a price gouge on nintendo fans, which is what it sounds like you are saying it is.

We will just have to disagree.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

you dummy a hamburger is a sandwich
A cookie is just a cookie, but Fig Newtons are fruit and cake.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you find single digit price differences between video games to be significant you should probably focus a little more on your career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

TheScott2K posted:

If you find single digit price differences between video games to be significant you should probably focus a little more on your career.

i mean if thats what your argument boils down to then fine, but it doesnt really excuse it.

i dont think its a particularly awful thing to admit that perhaps yeah, they have charged a bit much for a very fun game. it wont make the game disappear or stop you enjoying it.

• Locked thread