Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

So, doors are controlled client-side and the animations are culled in such a way that they don't run through their movements properly, apparently…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXt2PHcOyo

That this bug could even exist is an achievement in ignorance on CIG's part.

Schrodinger's door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/tHXwN63.gifv

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Half of 2.6's features aren't even in the build and people are condescendingly telling people to check their internal schedule when they ask if its actually gonna go live tomorrow. What a bunch of tools.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

To be clear, the doors in an MMO that supports piracy as a mechanic are client side and are affected by whether or not you're looking at them when they open and close.

To say that this game has not been thought through is an understatement. It's like someone's gone through the project and intentionally made the wrong decision at every turn.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
2.6.0lis out All this for 12 GBs lol

Fixed a number of issues with ship loadout management in the new frontend UI, including crashes.
•Fixed a number of minor graphical issues in and around the Caterpillar.
•Fixed a number of issues with the new frontend UI. •These include a number of lobby crashes and numerous graphical issues.

•Fixed a number of client and server crashes in Star Marine, Crusader and Arena Commander.

[Update]: We are aware that a large number of players are experiencing code 30000 and 10002 errors.

While this new instability is unfortunate please try and play as much as you can so we can gather as much data on these issues as possible! Thanks!

•Be advised that, in order to receive new lobby invites, you will need to restart the client after every match.
•New! Spamming “apply to ship” in ship customization will strip all items off the ship.
•Star Marine Leaderboards are not in-game this build.
•Our planned Electronic Access improvements for sequential map loading (“mega map”) are not in this build.
•Scan is not complete, please refrain from using it (“Tab” key on default keybindings).
•Missile rebalance is ongoing.
•Flight Balance Changes to include Acceleration, Afterburner, Boost, Fuel Rates, and Jerk are ongoing.
•Workaround for Front End UI Issues: Either use the old UI (ui_frontend.startup_mode = 0) OR on the main menu hit the “Escape” key and then “Go To Hangar”. Once loaded into the Hangar, you can use the Elevator to connect to Crusader or ArcCorp

Also "a number". One, maybe zero as that's technically a number. They also introduced some new ones.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Tippis posted:

So, doors are controlled client-side and the animations are culled in such a way that they don't run through their movements properly, apparently…

I just.. what, how?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

2.6.0lis out

Fixed a number of issues with ship loadout management in the new frontend UI, including crashes.
•Fixed a number of issues with the new frontend UI. •These include a number of lobby crashes and numerous graphical issues.

•Fixed a number of client and server crashes in Star Marine, Crusader and Arena Commander.

All this for 12 GBs lol

Also "a number". One, maybe zero as that's technically a number. They also introduced some new ones.

[Update]: We are aware that a large number of players are experiencing code 30000 and 10002 errors.

While this new instability is unfortunate please try and play as much as you can so we can gather as much data on these issues as possible! Thanks!

*a number of loving lol.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I just.. what, how?

That video is what happens when people try to touch the smoke and mirrors

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

LOL! physicalized physics immersive fidelity.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

Half of 2.6's features aren't even in the build and people are condescendingly telling people to check their internal schedule when they ask if its actually gonna go live tomorrow. What a bunch of tools.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

XK posted:

At least that gets you high. Intoxicating saffron would be a must buy.

Marijuana ice cream probably tastes like grass clippings.

I love Matcha Green Tea ice cream

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's not like it really matters, no pirate worth their salt will wait for a door to open when they can just clip into your autism chariot and killrape you from behind.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Honestly If I were Chris I'd shut the PU and SM down. Maybe keep AC up to "test the flight model".

Relaunch it next year with 3.0 or something. Its just makes them look like piles of poo poo and shines too much light on the dreams.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Honestly If I were Chris I'd shut the PU and SM down. Maybe keep AC up to "test the flight model".

Relaunch it next year with 3.0 or something. Its just makes them look like piles of poo poo and shines too much light on the dreams.

hehe 3.0 good one ;)

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I've heard that Spain exports like 10x the saffron they produce

just sayin'

Yeah. There is also about 100x more liters of "Extra virgin olive oil" produced in a year than all the olive press in the world can account for.

I get my unusual or rare spices like saffron from this place :

http://spicetrekkers.com/

And having spoken with the owners, they probably made the trip to talk with the famrhands in Kashmir gathering the stems for the saffron they sold me.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 21, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I just.. what, how?

This is what spaghetti code looks like when you try to change anything.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tippis posted:

Not taking any shortcuts here guys

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Not taking any shortcuts here guys

well not through that door you aren't

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just.. what, how?

As far as anyone can tell, you trigger the door, and it starts to animate. You look away, and the object is aggressively culled from rendering — possibly even from memory altogether — meaning it no longer animates through the full motion. When it comes back into view, it is restored in its last know state, which is half-opened.

So at very least, the client-side door state is fully client controlled, with no server authority message saying “no, this door has bene triggered open” (much less “…and it's in this state”). If and how this might affect other players interacting with the same door can't be inferred from the video, but I'd love to see two players messing around with it. How this affects the physics of trying to get through the door is also anyone's guess.

…but it's not like we haven't seen plenty videos of people phasing through doors already, so that might just explain that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

:tif:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jds7b/its_time_for_the_25_million_stretch_goal/

quote:

Enhanced Alpha – We will use additional funding to build a wider alpha test than we had originally intended for the first phase of Star Citizen’s launch. The initial plan was to first launch servers in North America and then expand to areas such as Europe and Australia to decrease latency in these areas, perfecting the game as we improve the experience around the world. This funding will allow us to invest in a wider infrastructure for our early testing, spinning up remote servers earlier. Hitting this goal will also allow us to increase the number of remaining alpha slots. Extra alpha slots not only means more Star Citizens will travel the ‘verse at launch, but that we will receive more feedback and more stress testing. This in turn will allow us to better balance and enhance the Star Citizen experience!

Source: Chairman letter for 25 Million

All CIG would need to do to fulfill this obligation (yes citizens, this is an explicit obligation) is update their cloud server contract to include servers in those places. As right now only NA servers are used no matter what. Its literally a flip of the switch lol.

They raised money from people in Europe and Australia on the basis of that promise. They are thieves.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sabreseven posted:

Helion is coming along nicely :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZoA3byeoI

This is amazing. Depending on how it looks once EA hits I may buy in.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just saying the jesus patch was everything I hoped it would be.

Resurrection of old assets breaking the game is never, not funny.

Hey intern, not paid now probably, reading this, tell crobbers GOOD JOB, THUMBS UP!!!111!!!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

while{cat.door.in_viewport} // there's your loving fps boost mr senior manager

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

2.6.0lis out All this for 12 GBs lol

•Be advised that, in order to receive new lobby invites, you will need to restart the client after every match.
•New! Spamming “apply to ship” in ship customization will strip all items off the ship.
•Star Marine Leaderboards are not in-game this build.
•Our planned Electronic Access improvements for sequential map loading (“mega map”) are not in this build.
•Scan is not complete, please refrain from using it (“Tab” key on default keybindings).
•Missile rebalance is ongoing.
•Flight Balance Changes to include Acceleration, Afterburner, Boost, Fuel Rates, and Jerk are ongoing.
•Workaround for Front End UI Issues: Either use the old UI (ui_frontend.startup_mode = 0) OR on the main menu hit the “Escape” key and then “Go To Hangar”. Once loaded into the Hangar, you can use the Elevator to connect to Crusader or ArcCorp

Can somebody with access to this incredible new build please confirm if "multiplayer" is spelled correctly in the main menu or if this had to be pushed back to later patch?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Tippis posted:

HOW. What the ever living gently caress.

HOW.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

aleksendr posted:

Yeah. There is also about 100x more liters of "Extra virgin olive oil" produced in a year than all the olive press in the world can account for.

I get my unusual or rare spices like saffron from this place :

http://spicetrekkers.com/

And having spoken with the owners, they probably made the trip to talk with the famrhands in Kashmir gathering the stems for the saffron they sold me.

$9 for 0.5 grams lol

I mean I'm sure it's great saffron and all but drat, it better be

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
This may be an overly philosophical or semantic argument to make, but I hold to the opinion that there are no bugs in Star Citizen at this stage, and that renders the concept of a "test universe" entirely moot.

If you have a functioning game in proper alpha, or even pre-alpha, you have enough game systems in place to begin proper bug-hunting.

If you're making a fantasy game and your job is to make a wizard shoot fireballs at an orc, you have the groundwork to test for bugs assuming the basic game elements are functioning. The bug reports might look like this:

- Wizard falls through world at map location -64.3, 12.9
- If fireballs are cast too quickly damage doesn't register on second cast
- Orc clips through tree and no longer registers damage from attacks
- If you jump in the middle of a cast you can no longer cast fireballs until you relog

Those are bugs - concrete examples of items not functioning as expected. (Note here that you need to know what is expected to know something is not right. Another way CIG fails - testing against an unknown constant.)

If you're CIG and you've made the same game, the bug reports might look like this:

- Game will not load - takes upwards of 5 attempts before it loads without crashing
- Wizard does not appear - nothing to control
- Camera floats away into the clouds randomly
- Orcs are not spawning, there is nothing to attack
- Fireball button does not work

The difference is clear. In the second example, the entire set of basic expectations for a functioning game and game engine are simply not in place. The code is incomplete and nonfunctional, so the bug reports themselves are actually of very little value, if any. If, like in the first example, jumping while casting locks out your ability to cast, that's an obvious coding oversight that can be corrected. In contrast, in the second example, none of those things are "bugs" - they're the natural state of any project that doesn't exist yet. I haven't even coded a fantasy game, and "Wizard does not appear" is happening to me as well every time I launch notepad. That doesn't make it a "bug" - it means I haven't made a loving game. Just like CIG.

The entire concept of the "PTU" and the "bug reports" is just one more extension of CIG's constant reliance on appearance and cargo-cult programming. There is nothing to "test" - this is still just a trial-and-error proof-of-concept series of pretty pictures stitched together in the hopes that something will eventually come out of it.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 21, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheLightPurges posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jds7b/its_time_for_the_25_million_stretch_goal/

All CIG would need to do to fulfill this obligation (yes citizens, this is an explicit obligation) is update their cloud server contract to include servers in those places. As right now only NA servers are used no matter what. Its literally a flip of the switch lol.

They raised money from people in Europe and Australia on the basis of that promise. They are thieves.

To be clear on this: Amazon is currently cloud hosting CIG's servers. To have international servers, all they have to do is arrange for Amazon to also spin up servers in other regions. All the technical effort would be on Amazon's end, which they could certainly pull off without a thought beyond updating account settings.

If they were doing the whole deal with hosting their own servers, or contracting COLO space in datacenters, it would be a bigger deal. With Amazon cloud services, it should be a matter of a phone call.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here, it ticks all the right boxes for me with the slow scavenge, survive and build gameplay, kinda like a serious Subnautica in space. :)

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

$9 for 0.5 grams lol

I mean I'm sure it's great saffron and all but drat, it better be

Its bullshit when you can get a gallon of ketchup, that has a poo poo ton of herbs and spices for less than that. ITs better tasting and creates a better flavor profile too.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

"Wizard does not appear" is happening to me as well every time I launch notepad. That doesn't make it a "bug" - it means I haven't made a loving game. Just like CIG.

:gary:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tippis posted:

This is a feature because not only does Chris not want people to skip cutscenes, but animations as well.

Invalid Report- is a feature.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this build wasn't ready and should not have been deployed

in october and november I mentioned there was a huge debate between chris and the lower employees about not releasing 2.6 this year and just wrapping up a bunch of features into 3.0

2.5.x or whatever would have made some changes to AC, flight model, and FPS but kept core functionality the same

I was sure that he'd take the advice of people who actually knew what the state of the game was, but no, he went and did dumb chris roberts poo poo like release a broken, unstable build close to xmas

people will be working through the weekend and next week and the week after to get this poo poo running

the thing is, they can't. everything, everything about this patch is a broken mess. I hope they take it one step further and slam it into the PU as is

I'd say an honest actual release of this, going at current rates, was prob march or later in 2017

how players who paid for this poo poo aren't up in arms about the state of their space game, I dunno

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

Its bullshit when you can get a gallon of ketchup, that has a poo poo ton of herbs and spices for less than that. ITs better tasting and creates a better flavor profile too.

Yeah, it contains both "SPICE" and "NATURAL FLAVORINGS"

XK posted:

To be clear on this: Amazon is currently cloud hosting CIG's servers. To have international servers, all they have to do is arrange for Amazon to also spin up servers in other regions. All the technical effort would be on Amazon's end, which they could certainly pull off without a thought beyond updating account settings.

If they were doing the whole deal with hosting their own servers, or contracting COLO space in datacenters, it would be a bigger deal. With Amazon cloud services, it should be a matter of a phone call.

The thing is, with Star Marine they run a legit risk of having a non-negligible portion of their backers logged in (because it's more lethal than COD d'oh). Since they need to spin up another server for every, like, 12 Citizens, they better make the experience as unbearable as possible. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them disable Star Marine after a few more weeks of "successful testing"

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is legit cool.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
CIG employee actually appears on reddit to answer a bug question. Tells citizen to reboot his computer.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
moma, get a refund

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

CIG employee actually appears on reddit to answer a bug question. Tells citizen to reboot his computer.
lol, this is just so goddamn perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

They've contracted CS to one of those countries ArfJason seems to really dislike