Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Angstrom Gothington posted:

Someone's gotta provide all that exploding manure!

Well yeah, but what's the horse gonna do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

I wonder if you could do it by being a vassal Khan and pressing a claim (by marriage or abducted concubine) for the Empire.

The way I've been doing it has been to acquire it as a second empire title. I then abdicate with a child heir so that a different clan takes over as Khagan, but gives me a strong claim on both titles. Once my ruler is an adult I can then press the claim for just the Byzantine title, and voila a new Byzantine Nomadic Empire is created.

The only problem is that in actual practice, the second month of the claim war several hundred thousand rebels will appear because you need to hand out land to the other clans, but as a rebel title you don't have any clans, and can't create any. So I've yet to manage to finish the job in Ironman, because it's impossible to win the revolt war.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

binge crotching posted:

The way I've been doing it has been to acquire it as a second empire title. I then abdicate with a child heir so that a different clan takes over as Khagan, but gives me a strong claim on both titles. Once my ruler is an adult I can then press the claim for just the Byzantine title, and voila a new Byzantine Nomadic Empire is created.

The only problem is that in actual practice, the second month of the claim war several hundred thousand rebels will appear because you need to hand out land to the other clans, but as a rebel title you don't have any clans, and can't create any. So I've yet to manage to finish the job in Ironman, because it's impossible to win the revolt war.

It's much easier to start as the Byzantines at either the Karl start date or 867 if your only goal is to reform the Empire for the achievement. The last time I did this--I've done it probably 20 times (I know)--I made it as difficult as possible by attempting to restore the empire without fighting any religious wars and converting to a catholic heresy.

If you want to do it on super easy mode, convert to Islam and you can do it even faster.

Of course, it's probably not as fun as playing as the horse lord Roman Empire.

Edit

Really with the 769 start date it's super easy to marry your half brother to the Lombard princess and push the resulting child's claim... ta-da!

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 20, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The only bookmark that you should play the Byzantines in is the Alexiad :colbert:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Jazerus posted:

The only bookmark that you should play the Byzantines in is the Alexiad :colbert:

Probably. For some reason this reminds me of my latest game... I always play ironman so I'm forced to go with the direction the game takes me...

I watched "The Last King" on Netflix and decided I wanted some Viking fun, but my mercenary son converted to Islam so within 15 years of the start of the game, I am now trying to unify Scandinavia under the banner of Muhammad, peace be upon him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZombieLenin posted:

Probably. For some reason this reminds me of my latest game... I always play ironman so I'm forced to go with the direction the game takes me...

I watched "The Last King" on Netflix and decided I wanted some Viking fun, but my mercenary son converted to Islam so within 15 years of the start of the game, I am now trying to unify Scandinavia under the banner of Muhammad, peace be upon him.
Insh'allah. I always wanted to try this, since raiding is culture based now, isnt it?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ZombieLenin posted:

Is that show any good? I just finished The Last Kingdom (also on Netflix) and it's good for some similar Viking action.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Of course, it's probably not as fun as playing as the horse lord Roman Empire.

Which is the whole point of this exercise :colbert:

I'm also working on a save where I'm taking the Rurikids and making them into a Norse/Norse horde. I have the claims, I just need the infamy to die down enough to press them. Starting as a tribe is a whole lot easier than turning the Zunbils into nomads, because conjuring up thousands of troops (even light infantry) is a huge help for pressing claims.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, okay so in my current game I started off as the count of Naples, first trying to build up power in southern Italy. It worked for while but eventually I was blocked off by the great powers, so I swore fealty to the Byzantines, who were doing real good. The Emperor disallowed vassal infighting, so expansion continued to be slow and I was usually too insignificant to get a seat on the council. Finally, however, a golden opportunity opened up: the HRE, which was formed as rump in Germany, had dissolved into little more than an Empire in name only, controlling only the Netherlands and part of Lotharingia to the south. I was able to push a claim on it during a 4 way civil war, becoming independent once more. Over the next century or so I was able to carve out a proper empire, taking Germany, Italy, Denmark, Burgundy, etc, what you'd expect from a Holy Roman Empire. After inheriting the Byzantine Empire as well, I had hit the point where you are an unstoppable blob and the game starts to get dull. The only real threats left were Muslim Hispania and the Pratihara Empire, which had exploded out of western India and conquered most of Persia + the Steppe. So I decided to switch to playing in the British Isles for a while, letting the AI do what it will with the realm I had created. Immediately thereafter, the Mongols invaded and in one swift war Genghis Khan took the reformed Roman Empire, then France and the Egyptian Caliphate, extending his reach from the Pacific to the English Channel. Not only that, but this was a Hindu Temujin.

Mongol Empire at the time of Genghis's death.

Now, the successor Khans are unable to hold on to the empire and successive revolts have seen large numbers of Europe and Africa break free. These new realms are very small, heralding a new age of local feudalism, instead of a return to the golden age of the second Roman Empire. The EU4 map is probably going to be pretty interesting as a result.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just got finished with a full Charlamagne run as India (never again), and I'd just like to leave this here:

I had absolutely nothing to do with this.

Another thing I noticed:

An ... interesting disease.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all that and the hre is still alive

e: every time i look at this image i see more austrasias, what the gently caress happened there

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Technowolf posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Technowolf posted:

Just got finished with a full Charlamagne run as India (never again), and I'd just like to leave this here:

Another thing I noticed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

^^^^ gently caress

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So vassalize the Jomsvikings, give them 20 castles, and burn the entirety of Europe down.

Is there some way to pump up the power of landed holy orders? Just grant them lots of castles? Created the Immortals in my most recent Zoroastrian game(CK2+, not sure if they're in vanilla) and gave them a county but they're under a thousand troops. That could be CK2+ though, as it seems to significantly nerf the power of mercenaries.

Same game I also got stuck as an age 0 child in regency, and despite doing everything I could to piss off my spymaster and regent by granting and yanking titles I still didn't manage to get myself assassinated so an adult character could inherit. Even got a series of events where my child ruler obliviously escapes assassination attempts(sent up to clean bird dropping off a steep roof, runaway carriage over a cliff, etc., each with a 20% chance of death) that culminated with my regent running in and trying to stab me while screaming about how I just won't die before getting dragging off by guards. Same character went on to live to 80 before dying of natural causes, obviously, and was tearing through Sassanid and Abbasid nobles a quarter his age in those CK2+ battlefield duels thanks to an absurdly high personal combat score up until the end.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

A couple of amusing images from the screenshots folder:

The Pope getting passive aggressive about how he thinks of being shook down for cash all the time.

Where I should have looked closer at which dynasty I gifted Jerusalem.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So there's a lot of India in the last few shots. Does India actually... uh... go outside of itself nowadays?

In my current game, I saw the Caliph attempt a holy war for this one tiny county right on the Indian edge of Persia and the rest of the Indian subcontinent wasn't having any. I think it's the first war I've seen waged between India and Not-India since the map expansion.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I joined a crusade for the first time last night! I'm Britannia with no ambition to take more than Great Britain by force and having to project your power to mainland Europe is interesting. I've had 10k vs 9k battles with Saxony but most of their provinces have supply limits of less than 2,000. I'm having to be really watchful to siege them down with just the right amount of troops so we don't die of attrition while being careful of the 6k troops they still have running around. Summer needs to come quickly.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

So there's a lot of India in the last few shots. Does India actually... uh... go outside of itself nowadays?

In my current game, I saw the Caliph attempt a holy war for this one tiny county right on the Indian edge of Persia and the rest of the Indian subcontinent wasn't having any. I think it's the first war I've seen waged between India and Not-India since the map expansion.

I play in the Iranian/Central Asian area frequently and the Caliphate goes to war in India all the time. There's just usually few factors that prevent expansion either way. The border Indian kingdoms are usually too weak to conquer Iranian territory, and the Indians have ridiculous religious retinues to defend with.
Even if progress is made, it usually gets undone because having even a single region of the opposing sides territory makes the winning empire that much more unstable and liable to implode or have the other side opportunistically conquer their territory back.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Technowolf posted:

What is with the Aztec Empire icon sitting in North East Italy apparently all alone?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Insect Court posted:

Is there some way to pump up the power of landed holy orders? Just grant them lots of castles? Created the Immortals in my most recent Zoroastrian game(CK2+, not sure if they're in vanilla) and gave them a county but they're under a thousand troops. That could be CK2+ though, as it seems to significantly nerf the power of mercenaries.

Most holy orders get bigger with time, as I understand it. For the CK2+ version of the Immortals in particular, there SHOULD also be a decision that lets you double their size, but I can't remember a) what its requirements are (you need to form the Persian Empire at least), and b) whether it's still disabled due to a vanilla bug with the script command it uses.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I use a No India mod and it is wonderful.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

all that and the hre is still alive

e: every time i look at this image i see more austrasias, what the gently caress happened there

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is with the Aztec Empire icon sitting in North East Italy apparently all alone?

From what I can tell, Charlemagne's empire broke up in France (while still leaving the HRE in Italy & Saxony), then the Aztecs came in REAL strong, taking over Spain, France, ALL of Africa, southern Norway, and a few provinces elsewhere (including Mongolia of all places). Aztecs form the Empire of Hispania, then break up due to Gavelkind, leaving a horrifying orange and yellow mess across half of Europe, then some of their vassals get free (D. Tripolitania & Cult of Huitzlipochtli). Aztec Aztecs (as opposed to Hispanian Aztecs) chill out in Cairo for a while, before moving to Italy. For the weather, I guess?

Also, lots of counter-crusades across Europe to push the invaders back. Germany is Fraticelli by the end of the game. Persia, Turkestan and the Mongols are Reformed Tengri, and the Byzantines went crazy into the steppes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Technowolf posted:

From what I can tell, Charlemagne's empire broke up in France (while still leaving the HRE in Italy & Saxony), then the Aztecs came in REAL strong, taking over Spain, France, ALL of Africa, southern Norway, and a few provinces elsewhere (including Mongolia of all places). Aztecs form the Empire of Hispania, then break up due to Gavelkind, leaving a horrifying orange and yellow mess across half of Europe, then some of their vassals get free (D. Tripolitania & Cult of Huitzlipochtli). Aztec Aztecs (as opposed to Hispanian Aztecs) chill out in Cairo for a while, before moving to Italy. For the weather, I guess?

Also, lots of counter-crusades across Europe to push the invaders back. Germany is Fraticelli by the end of the game. Persia, Turkestan and the Mongols are Reformed Tengri, and the Byzantines went crazy into the steppes.

sounds kind of like what happened in my last game while i was busy trying to run my eugenics program in ireland

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

So on my current game I have an interesting problem. The Pope controls two titles: The Papacy and the duchy level title Rome is in. Nothing else. The Fraticelli Pope resides in Rome and is independent. The King of Lombardy (strong, but losing some ground to the Byzantines) is Fraticelli. I have declared an antipope in the catholic faith, but I cannot war with the Pope to make my pope the head honcho. It also looks like I'm not able to declare on the Fraticelli Pope? Is there a solution to getting my vassal to be recognized?

Update: the pope declared a crusade for Lombardy as the black death covered the map. I contributed 90% so I got the whole Kingdom and used that to usurp the duchy the Pope had. I'll fix the rest of it today when I get homeafter work.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is that show any good? I just finished The Last Kingdom (also on Netflix) and it's good for some similar Viking action.

So take with a grain of salt, I was home sick with norovirus when I watched it, but yes it wasn't bad.

It gives you a real feel for what was going on in Britain around 860, and what being a petty king in real life might have been like. Even a petty king trying real hard to be a real king.

And as a card carrying atheist, it made me feel a bit upset about the "triumph" of Christianity over paganism. One religion over another is not something I would normally take sides about.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 21, 2016

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That is remarkably similar to my take on The Last Kingdom.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Dumb noobie question here.

Is there a way to bring up the chat window in Multiplayer? I can't find it for the live of me and I didn't see it in the wiki. It'd be so much easier than using a separate chat window that I have to constantly tab out to.

Thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Clanpot Shake posted:

I liked those books. Read most if them and The long ships while making RD, which is why the Norse got some extra stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I use a No India mod and it is wonderful.

Personally I would probably use a "no Western Europe, North Atlantic, or Africa" mod but then you begin to wonder why you're even playing a game called "Crusader Kings."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

he1ixx posted:

Dumb noobie question here.

Is there a way to bring up the chat window in Multiplayer? I can't find it for the live of me and I didn't see it in the wiki. It'd be so much easier than using a separate chat window that I have to constantly tab out to.

Thanks!

Tab.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
oh jeez. Thanks!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's quite possible what I am actually talking about is Last Kingdom. I was really, really loving sick when I watched it (projectile vomiting between episodes mostly). It would have been really easy for me to have confused the name under those circumstances.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ZombieLenin posted:

It's quite possible what I am actually talking about is Last Kingdom.

I was wondering how long it would take you two to realise that you were referring to the same (awesome) show.

vvvv Vikings isn't on Netflix though.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 21, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

It's quite possible what I am actually talking about is Last Kingdom. I was really, really loving sick when I watched it (projectile vomiting between episodes mostly). It would have been really easy for me to have confused the name under those circumstances.

It could have also been Vikings. King Ecbert is the closest thing to a player-controlled CK2 ruler that I've ever seen.

The Last Kingdom is also great though, I loved the books. I'd like to see the Grail Quest books made into a TV series too.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

He did say The Last King, which is also on Netflix and about a 13th century Norwegian prince, so... mystery NOT solved.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I don't know poo poo about modding, but would it be possible to add in some way to apply something similar to the restrictions women have on the "traditional" status of women to men in a specific realm?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I think he was just really, really sick and was talking about The Last King of Scotland.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Sinestro posted:

I don't know poo poo about modding, but would it be possible to add in some way to apply something similar to the restrictions women have on the "traditional" status of women to men in a specific realm?

If recent events are any indication, switching to Catharism and the equal-gender succession law will be perceived as a restriction on the rights of men. No mods needed!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

It is entirely possible, it would just require editing the actions you want restricted to include a check for whatever new law you define to handle it (or culture or religion or whatever you want it to be). The one bit I'm not sure would be possible would be to force matrilineal only marriages - I'm pretty sure patrilineal marriage is hard-coded as the default marriage option and there's just no command to disable it without disabling marriage entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Yeah, I figured that it's not really possible to turn it off entirely, but if all of the rulers are going to be women it'll definitely lean more towards matri-marrying, all on its own... Unless the AI doesn't do that, I'm actually not sure.

• Locked thread