Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lastgirl posted:

ugh :chloe:

you see, you keep ascribing it to older models of capitalism before it went full blown reagan, where the feminist wave of the 70s attributed to actually making decent wages and you know, men were incredibly lovely and condescending back then. Nowadays third way feminism is being garbled by corporate capitalism to keep us sedate and not focus on the real issues for less pay. It's gotten hijacked and washed over with pendantry and echo chambers. Sound familiar?

Some men (not all, calm down don't project please) can still be just as lovely and condescending nowadays, god knows I put up with enough harassment as it is, but it does not seem as bad (what would I know, I didn't live in the 60s-80s) today because uhh HR and workplace ethics have at least progressed where there is at least some say in the process, it's just the pay that makes it not worth the hassle sometimes. Retail sucked for this reason.

But I'm sure you want to burn it down because it's just still capitalism that all feminists want people to subjugate to or whatever the gently caress you're gabbing on about because your claim is that second wave feminists sold out which is just laughable as a perceived narrative you want to sweep with a broad brush. It's some crazy 0% to 100%, black or white, either and or situation you keep doing from time to time.

its like watching someone try to jam an old circle block into a brand new square hole to prove something, its hosed :chloe:, mostly on the behalf that you're not really going to listen to it because you already have the idea and your cup is full with the "knowledge" that you perceived to be containing. Which is why we have that smugness going on :smugbert:

Yea, it's the feminists, they're the ones who do the capitalist pigdogs their bidding and are the shadowy hand of the corporate arm. WAKE UP!!! :byodood:

Its certainly not bits and pieces, amalgams taken as a result of information being wedged into a big wad of indiscernible chewed up gum due to globalism because we have so many loving ideas racing into our goddamn eyeballs from the internet in the most lamest way possible, from tumblr to facebook, to forums like these that we can't tell rear end up end and recognize the information overload that we can just literally take bits and pieces of what we want to mold. Cherry picked to consume our own perceived narrative.

This is again why IdPol loving sucks :smugjones:

Nice Meltdown

M'am this is a Wendy's.

Yes, give me the frosty please~

I wasn't trying to poo poo on the entire group or anything since it was different 70s feminists that started pushing it to begin and it's not like there any non feminists concerned about these people and I very obviously hosed up what I was actually trying to communicate because it's definitely not what you're ranting against here, so I'm genuinely sorry.

Feminists are good , and Feminism in general is good, and I did not mean to imply otherwise. I was not railing against feminism, and if it came across that way it was down to incompetence rather than intent.

I think it's pretty lovely to dismiss the concerns of other less privileged feminists because they don't share your personal desires, and that's a criticism that has long been correctly aimed at many prominent feminists and I think the movement has hugely improved and made effort to hear from less powerful feminist voices and do a lot less prescribing of what it means to be a "proper" feminist because of it and that's a good thing - but this is not a criticism of feminism on the whole, and it is a criticism that when accurately applied has made feminism as a whole better imo. I think solidarity is important and it's frustrating how often and how quickly it is abandoned in pursuit of persona narrow interests and that we need to be vigilant and fight against that happening in our movements when possible since most of our greatest successes have come from when we help each other and make sure not to leave people behind.

Or maybe I'm just being stupid, in which case feel free to just call me an idiot.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Dec 21, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Feminists rule. (Unless they're white or rich)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Al! posted:

good rant. imo the worst part of idpol is the way it allows people to frame their own idpol as the neutral, rational position rather than throwing it all out entirely

:hai:

iirc i already went on my idpol rant about a month ago so i will refrain because theres nothing more to say

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

What about the one who judo flipped cops int the 19th century?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
feminists are good

people that say they support progress but dont actually are bad

yw

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

heres my list of class enemies so far

1. liberals
2. feminists
3. the rich
4. "Costals" ;)

but im starting to think feminists should be number 1?

also sig test

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

:hai:

iirc i already went on my idpol rant about a month ago so i will refrain because theres nothing more to say

someone give me a search term to use, I like reading idpol rants

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

feminists and feminism are good

fighting for what you believe in is also good

ty for reading

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

JEB!/Ellison 2020

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Dec 21, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lastgirl posted:

leftists are loving crazy

you see

if you go more left, the other left is perceived as right and thats why we have the feminist bashing

its okay to bash third way feminism as a whole because of a few lovely people like Dunham who stand up on a soapbox and thats all people want to pay attention to in order to prove something because suddenly the vocal one is the flagship leader and everyone has to automatically agree apparently, it's just so much easier to frame your narrative this way because information is a giant wad of chewed gum that people just pull out their own flavor (of information) to chew on.

Here im getting that 3W feminism is a capitalist cabal that subjugates women with women and i have no idea what the end game is here, but it desperately has to be proven so that "i told you so, capitalism is the root of it all!" :psyduck:

No, it's just one stupid spoiled rich brat who got bored. Foh...

i am so loving lost

can we not just agree on core principles like "gently caress sexism" and "unerringly support civil rights"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GlyphGryph posted:

I wasn't trying to poo poo on the entire group or anything since it was different 70s feminists that started pushing it to begin and it's not like there any non feminists concerned about these people and I very obviously hosed up what I was actually trying to communicate because it's definitely not what you're ranting against here, so I'm genuinely sorry.

Feminists are good , and Feminism in general is good, and I did not mean to imply otherwise. I was not railing against feminism, and if it came across that way it was down to incompetence rather than intent.

I think it's pretty lovely to dismiss the concerns of other less privileged feminists because they don't share your personal desires, and that's a criticism that has long been correctly aimed at many prominent feminists and I think the movement has hugely improved and made effort to hear from less powerful feminist voices and do a lot less prescribing of what it means to be a "proper" feminist because of it and that's a good thing - but this is not a criticism of feminism on the whole, and it is a criticism that when accurately applied has made feminism as a whole better imo. I think solidarity is important and it's frustrating how often and how quickly it is abandoned in pursuit of persona narrow interests and that we need to be vigilant and fight against that happening in our movements when possible since most of our greatest successes have come from when we help each other and make sure not to leave people behind.

Or maybe I'm just being stupid, in which case feel free to just call me an idiot.

feminism itself is good, i think what you're pointing out is people being crap at implementing it

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pollyanna posted:

feminism itself is good, i think what you're pointing out is people being crap at implementing it

just like communism

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pollyanna posted:

i am so loving lost

All I really understand right now is that apparently a lot of people are really pissed at me for being anti-feminist and I'm not or at least I don't think/feel like I am and it's mostly just leaving me feeling really lovely and confused and if there's something I'm doing wrong I would appreciate advice on how to fix it but also maybe it's just a misunderstanding but I don't know.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

i am so loving lost

can we not just agree on core principles like "gently caress sexism" and "unerringly support civil rights"

nah im afraid we're booked solid for the next fifty years with appointments to claw bloody runnels into our own faces while screaming about liberals

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

nah im afraid we're booked solid for the next fifty years with appointments to claw bloody runnels into our own faces while screaming about liberals

ughhh

i hate this socialized obamacare making me wait fifty years for an appointment

its just like canada

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

You talking about the Florida guy?

Really want to know what the hell is up with that.

yeah

for those not in the know, there are several people aiming for the chairmanship of the Florida DNC, and for various dumb procedural reasons they had to get elected to some minor obscure committee seat in order to be eligible

there were two main contenders. one was a wealthy lawyer and real estate developer who was a Dem megadonor with deep ties to the DNC eatablishment and a complex network of nonprofits he uses to funnel donor money into candidates' campaigns. the other was a black progressive teacher and Sanders supporter who was facing heavy criticism for being pro-Palestine and was backed by Our Revolution

Ellison endorsed the establishment megadonor, who then won the seat

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GlyphGryph posted:

All I really understand right now is that apparently a lot of people are really pissed at me for being anti-feminist and I'm not or at least I don't think/feel like I am and it's mostly just leaving me feeling really lovely and confused and if there's something I'm doing wrong I would appreciate advice on how to fix it but also maybe it's just a misunderstanding but I don't know.

basically it's a conflation of feminism as a whole vs. lovely implementations of feminism aka "white feminism", which has a track record of ignoring economic issues and PoC

the problem is when you mean "gently caress the imbalanced nonrepresentative implementation of feminism spearheaded by hillary clinton and lena dunham" and say "gently caress feminism"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
they dont call it the Circular Firing Squad because the left is good at keeping its poo poo together

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah

for those not in the know, there are several people aiming for the chairmanship of the Florida DNC, and for various dumb procedural reasons they had to get elected to some minor obscure committee seat in order to be eligible

there were two main contenders. one was a wealthy lawyer and real estate developer who was a Dem megadonor with deep ties to the DNC eatablishment and a complex network of nonprofits he uses to funnel donor money into candidates' campaigns. the other was a black progressive teacher and Sanders supporter who was facing heavy criticism for being pro-Palestine and was backed by Our Revolution

hmmmmmmmmmm :/ i wonder why.

they dont call it the Circular Firing Squad because the left is good at keeping its poo poo together

the left is a mess :sad:

i've said it before and i'll say it again: at least the right wing can all agree on the core principle of "gently caress jews, blacks, women, and gays". at least they have something to unite under even if it's horrid. they sure as gently caress are more effective than the left.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Agean90 posted:

What about the one who judo flipped cops int the 19th century?

If you're talking about the Lowell Mill Girls, then yes.

For the uninformed: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_Mill_Girls

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

UHD posted:

feminists and feminism are good

fighting for what you believe in is also good

ty for reading

ur welcome

namaste

i fight for my rite to party

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yeah but saying "corporate feminism" won't give you the cathartic high you feel when you say white feminism and watch the look of existential guilt wash over Becky the ally's face as she gazes down at her navel in shame. Shame, Becky! Shame!

:same::agreed::hai:

Just according to keikaku, let them be distracted by that cheap and fleeting high of "I did good today." when they actually didn't. But we don't live in a fact based reality anymore so as the wise words

rings true.

And people still don't get why there's drunkposting nihilism going on in this subforum lmbo~

mostly because of posts like this

Ace of Baes posted:

That is a vocal minority, get over it :smugjones:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
anyway, to conclude, youre all a bunch of splitter revisionist mother fuckers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anyway, to conclude, youre all a bunch of splitter revisionist mother fuckers

nopants
May 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

hmmmmmmmmmm :/ i wonder why.

the left is a mess :sad:

i've said it before and i'll say it again: at least the right wing can all agree on the core principle of "gently caress jews, blacks, women, and gays". at least they have something to unite under even if it's horrid. they sure as gently caress are more effective than the left.

It hasn't actually been a good thing that the right can unite behind horrible things.

nopants has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Dec 21, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here's something different to discuss.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Lastgirl posted:

That is a vocal minority, get over it :smugjones:
A vocal minority that has hijacked Gender studies to be exclusionary wrt minority, trans, and class issues, so uhhh no?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nopants posted:

It hasn't actually been a good thing that the right can united behind horrible things.

it's not a good thing that they can unite under horrible things, it's that it's a bad thing that the left cannot unite under awesome things

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Feminism is good, but feminists are only human, and the only way good things stay good (and this is way beyond feminism and more for everything) is if we keep trying to improve and acknowledge the things we have done in the past and probably are still doing are actually kind of lovely for some people and we always need to get better and move further.

Like hell the 70s feminists I mentioned shooting down the idea may well have even been a good thing for the movement as a whole even if it was justified in a lovely way by specific people because we can't do everything at once (even if we can do a lot of things at once) and I guess family stuff and helping parents be good and capable parents and seeing parenting as legit important (along with teaching and childcare that also get poo poo on a lot by society when all those people deserve a ton of respect) is one of my own personal issues so I end up talking about that when it seems relevant even if it's actually not and it ends up pissing people off.

I honestly did not expect this level of hostility and I'm sorry for pissing people off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

basically when you say "gently caress feminists" it is not immediately obvious whether you're a leftist or a gamergater

Ace of Baes posted:

A vocal minority that has hijacked Gender studies to be exclusionary wrt minority, trans, and class issues, so uhhh no?

trust me this is a well-known issue and a huge point of contention w/ modern feminism. people continue to fight for intersectionality in feminism and it's kinda making inroads? but its really slow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GlyphGryph posted:

Feminism is good, but feminists are only human, and the only way good things stay good (and this is way beyond feminism and more for everything) is if we keep trying to improve and acknowledge the things we have done in the past and probably are still doing are actually kind of lovely for some people and we always need to get better and move further.

Like hell the 70s feminists I mentioned shooting down the idea may well have even been a good thing for the movement as a whole even if it was justified in a lovely way by specific people because we can't do everything at once (even if we can do a lot of things at once) and I guess family stuff and helping parents be good and capable parents and seeing parenting as legit important (along with teaching and childcare that also get poo poo on a lot by society when all those people deserve a ton of respect) is one of my own personal issues so I end up talking about that when it seems relevant even if it's actually not and it ends up pissing people off.

I honestly did not expect this level of hostility and I'm sorry for pissing people off.

i dont mean to be hostile, i just want to try and tease out why there's hostility in the air

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah

But why

why Ellison why

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

as if you could ever get the leftists to agree to line up in a circle like that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
someone could ask ellison why he did that

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah

so is ellison bad now idgi

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al! posted:

lets just sort of mill around and shoot each other in the head at random intervals then

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

are we seriously going full /pol/ and railing against feminists

thats not very left

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lets just sort of mill around and shoot each other in the head at random intervals then

done, done AND done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Al! posted:

Uh, if you're in a circle then, by definition, you haven't "lined up". Checkmate. :smug:

• Locked thread