Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rectal Placenta posted:

Just think how much easier all the others are going to be now!

Hint: they're not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

14 BAR RIFF posted:

...but gently caress me

Heck yeah, buddy.

We're here for all your needs. I'm sure the lads would gladly form a rimjob workgang to bang that one out in a jiffy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you have a spare?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Ring still has cleaning left to do but gently caress me

Why go to all that trouble when you could have just used little donut spare tires. Fill them with RTV and you never get a flat!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I have forgotten: what crazy insane bolt pattern or reason is preventing Dave from just junkyarding some normal wheels?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have forgotten: what crazy insane bolt pattern or reason is preventing Dave from just junkyarding some normal wheels?

It's a 10-bolt, but what specific bolt pattern it is I have no idea. I don't think there's a lot of consumer pickups that use those.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
4500/5500 gm trucks and old motorhomes probably use something similar.

f-superduties of obs/bricknose were 10 bolt too.

as for bolt pattern? i'm unsure. they look drat close.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

To remove just flatten the tire and drive in circles until the bead rolls over

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

as for bolt pattern? i'm unsure. they look drat close.

According to the internet, it should be 10 on 7.25" with a 4.75" center bore.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Heil Holland. The final solution to the oxidation question

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Mmmmm, lubricant. As my grandma always said, "Right when you think you've used too much lube, you've almost used enough."

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Raluek posted:

According to the internet, it should be 10 on 7.25" with a 4.75" center bore.

Are there any 5 bolt wheels that would fit if he cut half the studs off?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Like that's safer than just doing these loving tires

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I thought the bigger issue was finding replacement wheels that would fit over the drums

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I understand people have their own expenses so I don't make this post cavalierly, or even sunbirdy

Also, I've been meaning to give this post a thumbs up because I literally :lol: at it. I'm the proud owner of a 2001 Cavalier, and at one point my sister had a 2002 Sunbird, same color even, and getting in her car or looking under the hood was some uncanny valley poo poo. So I totally got that joke and appreciated it immensely.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 21, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

An old roommate and I had Integraty!

... as in... we both owned almost identical cars. He had a 1990 Integra. I had a 1991 Integra. Same color, and the same front clip mod (JDM headlights)... and making it more confusing, our keys worked on each others cars (but to be fair, the key to my old Civic also worked on his car, and a screwdriver probably would have worked too). We also had similar stereos.

I got in his car more than once (and vice versa) and went "wait... wrong kind of transmission". Other hint was his had manual windows, mine had power windows (but oddly, still manual locks on mine). Still wound up taking each others cars occasionally, because at 5am when you're trying to get to work and you've already overslept, you just don't give a gently caress.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Heil Holland. The final solution to the oxidation question

HAIL SATAN HEIL LUBRICANT

Edit: Aw poo poo I didn't see you'd already made the joke at the top of your post.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rectal Placenta posted:

Just think how much easier all the others are going to be now!

Ahahahahahah, easier.

By the end of this Dave will be lucky if he still has the rest of his teeth and all ten fingers.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That guy in that Roadkill episode made it look so easy!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Vikings make everything look easy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Do the old tires hold air at all? poo poo, fill those loving tubes with slime and take surface streets to Florida. Yeah, it'll take loving forever maxing out at 40mph, but you'll get there before the new tire situation would be sorted, and you'll get there alive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

scuz posted:

That guy in that Roadkill episode made it look so easy!

If Dave had the right tools it would be a lot easier.

Seminal Flu posted:

Do the old tires hold air at all? poo poo, fill those loving tubes with slime and take surface streets to Florida. Yeah, it'll take loving forever maxing out at 40mph, but you'll get there before the new tire situation would be sorted, and you'll get there alive.

That's a great way to end up doing what he's doing now, except on the side of the road in BFE, flyoverstate.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

That's a great way to end up doing what he's doing now, except on the side of the road in BFE, flyoverstate.

How is "on the side of the road" any different than what he's doing now (other than being warmer and probably more comfortable)? And even then, he'd do it a couple times, at most... they aren't ALL going to fail.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Because on the side of the road doesn't have power or shelter or transportation to get supplies.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
or a mailing address for extra socks

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Because on the side of the road doesn't have power or shelter or transportation to get supplies.

You're making a pretty dire situation out of having to potentially change a tire on the side of the road, where the tire change currently involves a bunch of hand tools in the middle of a field, not power or shelter or transportation.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Really the only differences doing tires here or somewhere else are out there I won't have an air compressor, the high lift, or a toilet to desecrate

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

You're making a pretty dire situation out of having to potentially change a tire on the side of the road, where the tire change currently involves a bunch of hand tools in the middle of a field, not power or shelter or transportation.

You're making light of something you have never done.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

You're making light of something you have never done.

Driven sketchy poo poo on the road, taking back roads and limiting load on ancient tires? Wrong. Did that. It's an ancient truck, the tires are only one of a dozen failure points. It seems to be a potentially dangerous waste of time to learn how to change an archaic tire/wheel combo instead of getting the truck moving, and at least hobbling it to a tire shop, if nothing more.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It doesn't make sense to spend an extra week going 40mph taking the circuitous route and hoping for the best when you can take a week now to fix the tires and know that they won't be a concern. You're probably right about the tires being only one of a dozen issues though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I see I checked in on this thread and exactly the right time

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hell I could just load it all into Dan's truck and be done with it but I want to do these motherfuckers because I want to add to my skill set

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I'm with 14. The stubborn spirit sees the logical alternatives for what they are, and makes sure to wave at them as they pass by.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

The stubborn spirit sees the logical alternatives for what they are, and makes sure to wave at them as they pass by.

I'm gonna take up cross-stitching so that I may have that as a cross-stitch.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Install a pto driven air compressor.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Driven sketchy poo poo on the road, taking back roads and limiting load on ancient tires? Wrong. Did that. It's an ancient truck, the tires are only one of a dozen failure points. It seems to be a potentially dangerous waste of time to learn how to change an archaic tire/wheel combo instead of getting the truck moving, and at least hobbling it to a tire shop, if nothing more.

It may be an older style but its still a lock ring and not a widowmaker split. It deserves extra respect and caution when initially filling but otherwise is just a massive PITA to dismount and mount, and would be a Herculean task to do roadside when it inevitably failed because it's traveling halfway across a continent.

And let's talk about that failure. Let's talk about blowing out a dry rotted front at 55mph in a 8000 lb-ish truck with no power steering and newly-repaired untested drum brakes in slippery winter weather, and how quickly that goes really badly.

Lastly let's talk about how much any pro tire guy loathes slime or any other tire sealant, and how impossible you would make the inevitable further work on that rim. Especially roadside.

Calm your rear end down and let Dave do what Dave does.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Do Dave, Dave. Do Dave.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

And let's talk about that failure. Let's talk about blowing out a dry rotted front at 55mph in a 8000 lb-ish truck with no power steering and newly-repaired untested drum brakes in slippery winter weather, and how quickly that goes really badly.

(That's why I said limit roads and speed to 40mph)

quote:

Lastly let's talk about how much any pro tire guy loathes slime or any other tire sealant, and how impossible you would make the inevitable further work on that rim. Especially roadside.
It'd be in the inner tube, minimizing any leakage into the carcass itself.

quote:

Calm your rear end down and let Dave do what Dave does.
Sorry, didn't know you were moderator of this thread.

I know it's fun to go all war rigggg :hurr:, but in the first post, the OP said "surface streets, sub-50mph" and a month ago, OP said

ExplodingSims posted:

Well it looks like you guys are making pretty good progress so hopefully the end is in sight.

Also I'd kinda like the Truck by Christmas so I can prove to b all my extended family that this really did happen!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 21, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Seminal Flu posted:

(That's why I said limit roads and speed to 40mph)
Honestly, I don't get why he bothered to swap the engine when he could have just pushed it across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This Thread Is Good And Tire Safety Chat Is Making It Bad

• Locked thread