Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Hey we are trying to increase brand awareness for Captain Marvel, how should we do that?
Make her a terrible fascist and make all the other heroes hate her.
Double your salary!

How do you deal when your favorite hero is going through a tough time?

Carol Danvers has been going through a tough time for about 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Carol Danvers has been going through a tough time for about 20 years now.

Probably closer to 40 at this point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They really should've had Cap be the bad guy in CW2 and Carol in the Iron Man position. You can still kill Rhodey and Stark and have it make emotional sense by playing up the romance and the AA sponsor angles. And you get to elevate and reveal the Hydra-Cap thing if you're insisting on doing it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

They really should've had Cap be the bad guy in CW2 and Carol in the Iron Man position. You can still kill Rhodey and Stark and have it make emotional sense by playing up the romance and the AA sponsor angles. And you get to elevate and reveal the Hydra-Cap thing if you're insisting on doing it.

having cap take carol's role would have made a ton of sense, yea

he's still mind controlled by hydra so you could have him making the same bad decisions but with a preexisting out for later

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Hey we are trying to increase brand awareness for Captain Marvel, how should we do that?
Double your salary!

How do you deal when your favorite hero is going through a tough time?

When Iron Man was busy being a facist I consoled myself by rereading a whole lot of Layton/Michelenie issues.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Double your salary!

Worked for Trump.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Trump has a personality, though

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The March Marvel solicits are out and there's someone very interesting on the Infamous Iron Man cover.

The Maker

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Starsnostars posted:

The March Marvel solicits are out and there's someone very interesting on the Infamous Iron Man cover.

The Maker

I just read this. It's an interesting reversal. Curious to see how it turns out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

This is just terrible

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'm finding it odd that Slapstick's book is probably grabbing me the most right now. That series is way more fun than it has any right to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

This is just terrible

What's terrible about it? "Arrrrgh maximus those will take forever to clean up you dick!"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

This is just terrible

This is pretty great the artist is the one from GMo's Batman and Robin right? There's really no other way to draw a good Maximus unless he's Joker-esque.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

What's terrible about it? "Arrrrgh maximus those will take forever to clean up you dick!"

For me it's the faces

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

This is just terrible

Medusa is a horrific monster. This cover would be better with no Black Bolt or Medusa and less crystal things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

This is pretty great the artist is the one from GMo's Batman and Robin right? There's really no other way to draw a good Maximus unless he's Joker-esque.

Yup. Fraser Irving. He's dope.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't understand the negative reaction to those totally normal faces. I mean, Maximus seems like he has a cold but that's about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Black Bolt looks fine.

Medusa and Maximus look really off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

This is just terrible

So Maximus is Rip Taylor?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When Iron Man was busy being a facist I consoled myself by rereading a whole lot of Layton/Michelenie issues.

Yea I can read the Wood series and the good parts of the KSD run.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Carol's dates with Spider-Man were the best thing. So sad that got derailed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

Carol's dates with Spider-Man were the best thing. So sad that got derailed.

I heard that was because Slott decreed that Spider-Man may never have a girlfriend stronger than he is.

I love how they're both hiding that they're giant dorks and faking going to a fancy restaurant when they'd rather get street meat.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I heard that was because Slott decreed that Spider-Man may never have a girlfriend stronger than he is.

I love how they're both hiding that they're giant dorks and faking going to a fancy restaurant when they'd rather get street meat.

And it would have been perfect Parker Luck for his super powered gf to turn into a crazy facsist that Peter would somehow inadvertently kill while trying to save.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
looking at current carol, parker luck would be having her survive

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
New Gwenpool keeps up the good work. Can never go wrong with some 'bzzzzzzz-DOOOOM'-bot action. Never.

As for this week's other stuff, Aphra going all Last Crusade and the exasperated exchange with her dad was perfect:
"You said this moon was forgotten and deserted!"
"I don't understand. What would Imperials be doing...on Yavin 4?"

And that last page of Ultimates 2, yikes.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
gwenpool is a delight as always :)

man, there's so much good stuff this week

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh.

Come to think of it, how many guys in comics have or have had significant others who were stronger than them? Mr. Miracle and Barda come to mind. Reed and Sue are debatable in terms of "strength" but I think it counts if you come at it from the angle of being an insecure man afraid that your GF/wife can hurt you. Does Gambit-Rogue count? I don't know my X-Men history well enough to know if they were ever a couple for any length of time because of the danger of touching her.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lobok posted:

Come to think of it, how many guys in comics have or have had significant others who were stronger than them?

Scott and Jean in the Phoenix days? Star-Lord and Kitty?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

howe_sam posted:

Oh yeah, should have remembered Star-Lord considering I read that whole Black Vortex saga. Almost anybody dating Kitty would probably fit, really. So Colossus and Kitty would be another pair. Scott and Jean is a good call, too.

This is why I asked because I had a hunch that it wasn't an uncommon thing. Don't know why Parker dating somebody stronger than him would be a big deal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lobok posted:

Oh yeah, should have remembered Star-Lord considering I read that whole Black Vortex saga. Almost anybody dating Kitty would probably fit, really. So Colossus and Kitty would be another pair. Scott and Jean is a good call, too.

This is why I asked because I had a hunch that it wasn't an uncommon thing. Don't know why Parker dating somebody stronger than him would be a big deal.

I'd say it's downright stupid. I mean... Peter Parker is the epitome of the nerd fantasy. Like one component of that is the super hot, super powerful girl who would never want a dweeb like you... wanting a dweeb like you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lobok posted:

Ugh.

Come to think of it, how many guys in comics have or have had significant others who were stronger than them? Mr. Miracle and Barda come to mind. Reed and Sue are debatable in terms of "strength" but I think it counts if you come at it from the angle of being an insecure man afraid that your GF/wife can hurt you. Does Gambit-Rogue count? I don't know my X-Men history well enough to know if they were ever a couple for any length of time because of the danger of touching her.

they made gambit an omega level mutant that one time but it didn't stick

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Onmi posted:

I'd say it's downright stupid. I mean... Peter Parker is the epitome of the nerd fantasy. Like one component of that is the super hot, super powerful girl who would never want a dweeb like you... wanting a dweeb like you.

Though if I give Slott the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's not about an insecure/emasculation thing. If she's stronger than him then there would be the obvious question of why she isn't able to help him out all the time with his villains.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

Though if I give Slott the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's not about an insecure/emasculation thing. If she's stronger than him then there would be the obvious question of why she isn't able to help him out all the time with his villains.

Good writers can write around this.

But to be fair to Slott, even though I hate his writing, I believe the whole "Spidey shouldn't date someone with powers" thing came from on high and not him. They want him to date non-powered women and worry about his secret identity and all that crap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Scott again with Emma Frost. And again with Psylocke.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lobok posted:

Ugh.

Dick Grayson and Starfire

I guess it's a reoccurring trend in Teen Titans to have guys that are weaker than their S/O, because I just recalled Terry Long is just a normal dude that was Donna Troy's husband, and Beast Boy and Raven might count too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was not expecting Alternate Universe Bad Future Squirrel Girl of all people to make an appearance in Gwenpool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Good writers can write around this.

But to be fair to Slott, even though I hate his writing, I believe the whole "Spidey shouldn't date someone with powers" thing came from on high and not him. They want him to date non-powered women and worry about his secret identity and all that crap.

Okay, I've been unfair to Slott over that. It's silly, becuase as is said, a good writer would be able to write around the difference in power levels. Though I would have loved to of seen them out on a date and like Doc Ock showing up and trying to kidnap Parker's GF only to find out she can take care of herself.

So finally read XvI, and yea wasn't bad at all. I did like how it finally answered a question that I've always wondered, what would happen if Dazzler and Black Bolt met.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I've been unfair to Slott over that. It's silly, becuase as is said, a good writer would be able to write around the difference in power levels. Though I would have loved to of seen them out on a date and like Doc Ock showing up and trying to kidnap Parker's GF only to find out she can take care of herself.

So finally read XvI, and yea wasn't bad at all. I did like how it finally answered a question that I've always wondered, what would happen if Dazzler and Black Bolt met.

quote:

Her career in the doldrums and critically savaged, Alison Blaire gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. She’s invited to be the first outsider to perform in the Inhumans’ home city. She arrives to find it in strife, between traditionalists outraged at her presence and her fans who – due to Attilan’s East-European Iron-curtain-esque Isolation – only really liked her old-Disco material anyway. After a disastrous, conflict-ruptured gig, the situation takes a bizarre and dangerous turn when a Celestial appears outside the city. Doing nothing. At least until, during an official ball, the classical inhuman music act is disintegrated. Others follow. Dazzler realizes that it’s here, somehow, to judge art. Her band – with Black Bolt guesting on backing vocals – don’t have to just play the gig of their lives – they have to play the gig to save everyone’s lives.

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/84925044142/dazzler-big-in-attilan

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 21, 2016

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Yeah, about that "Spiderman's girlfriend can't be super powerful, or else she would just obliterate his villains". That's the sort of thing that can't be a regular occurrence, but you can do it once, and it's awesome.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think symbiotes work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That is totally not how symbiotes work, at all.

• Locked thread