Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Anyway, re: the above post - I never realized there was a "right" way to double park. It seems like it would always block someone in and it would probably annoy me incredibly if I was the stuck one. The horn blasting is just impotent rage though, they'd learn their lesson more if you just called to have it towed, assuming it's not legal where you live.

You just park reaaaaaly close to the other cars (I take it to the extreme and crawl out the passenger door) and don't take more than 5 minutes inside, in case you're blocking someone in who wants to leave. Bad = park in middle of street, bad = go in for 30 min, or even worse (and most common 95% of the time), a combination of the two.

I think it might actually be illegal here but lol if the cops or towtrucks are actually going to do anything about it. Former doesn't care, latter would take 1 hour to respond so rear end in a top hat double parker would be gone by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

vintagepurple posted:

I honestly can't wait until calls become a thing of the past. I'll chat for hours with friends or SO's after we exchange "hey you busy, want to call?" texts but gently caress em otherwise. I had a partner that would randomly call just to chat when I was busy and then get upset when I couldn't.

:goonsay:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Sorry boss, I'd love to be doing my job right now but I need to take this personal call about what's up this afternoon!" Calling sucks because if you text me at work then we can actually communicate.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You would still not be focusing on your job though, it's just easier to get away with texting. Maybe just tell your friends you can't be reached at work.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah that problem isn't phone calls, it's having inconsiderate friends.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

vintagepurple posted:

"Sorry boss, I'd love to be doing my job right now but I need to take this personal call about what's up this afternoon!" Calling sucks because if you text me at work then we can actually communicate.

I was referring to the part about calls becoming a thing of the past. Calls will not become a thing of the past you goon.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Also a "we are a couple of blocks away!!" message for you to go wait by the door means they will arrive around an hour later.

On the other side of the spectrum

"Yeah we're at [x] intersection/train/bus stop" (about 20 minutes away)
*arrives within 5 minutes*

Are you lying, are you/bus/train going 60mph, are you trying to trick me, how does that even happen?

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bradzilla posted:

I was referring to the part about calls becoming a thing of the past. Calls will not become a thing of the past you goon.

That's fair, I think they suck as a primary form of business communication. At least the way a lot of people use them. If you're going to ask me to drop by and pick up a form just email me or say so in the loving voicemail, I'll still be able to confirm.

I also hate how lateness is the norm now. I tend to arrive/be ready before the scheduled time, which means either always being first to the event or waiting, completely ready, around the house. Even in professional environments a 3:30 appointment will be at 3:45 or later, but otoh I can't risk being late because I'll be screwed if miraculously it goes down on time.

vintagepurple has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Dec 20, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

vintagepurple posted:

Unsolicited calls/knocks are almost always bad outside of emergencies, just text or email. Getting a knock when you're on the shitter or something loving blows, just text. And if someone is about to pick you up why the gently caress wouldn't you have your phone handy? It's so much nicer to say "k be out in a minute" rather than stumbling into the hall with your pants down screeching "HOLD ON JUST A SEC" and the desperately wiping.

We have no need for calls/knocks that come at inconvenient times and force you to drop what you're doing or interrupt an interaction with someone else. Just loving text. Phone calls are for pleasure or emergencies.

I honestly can't wait until calls become a thing of the past. I'll chat for hours with friends or SO's after we exchange "hey you busy, want to call?" texts but gently caress em otherwise. I had a partner that would randomly call just to chat when I was busy and then get upset when I couldn't. Just text. Hell, we can chat via text without me ditching my friends, or stopping studying or work. I can respond to emails while working. Text, just text.

Agreed 100%.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I always feel much better about my opinions when Tiggum disagrees with them.

Anyway, to switch gears a little: I don't usually get annoyed by picky eaters as long as they are the ones making themselves look like a child in front of the waiter by saying how if any cheese touches their food they will die. I do get very annoyed when these picky eaters visit me in a country where I only marginally speak the language and demand that I ask for their stupid custom order for them. Not only do I not know how to say "If I see a tomato on this hamburger I will sue", it is embarrassing to even try to ask. If it's a nice restaurant (which it was), just try it the way they have it on the menu, you will not die and you will probably like it a lot. Basically my pet peeve is people travelling overseas for the first time in their life who want to replicate their generic "safe" applebees/mcdonalds experience instead of actually experiencing a different culture's food.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I always feel much better about my opinions when Tiggum disagrees with them.

Anyway, to switch gears a little: I don't usually get annoyed by picky eaters as long as they are the ones making themselves look like a child in front of the waiter by saying how if any cheese touches their food they will die. I do get very annoyed when these picky eaters visit me in a country where I only marginally speak the language and demand that I ask for their stupid custom order for them. Not only do I not know how to say "If I see a tomato on this hamburger I will sue", it is embarrassing to even try to ask. If it's a nice restaurant (which it was), just try it the way they have it on the menu, you will not die and you will probably like it a lot. Basically my pet peeve is people travelling overseas for the first time in their life who want to replicate their generic "safe" applebees/mcdonalds experience instead of actually experiencing a different culture's food.

I don't know if this counts as agreeing or disagreeing, but I'd say it's not even with unusual or foreign food, but just anything you order from a restaurant. Unless you've got an allergy or something, pick something off the menu and just eat it as it comes. Either you'll like it and that's good or you'll know better for next time. No matter what restaurant it is, there'll be something there you like. If you know you don't like tomatoes, don't order something with tomatoes in it. It's not difficult.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most things are also easy to take off if you don't like them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most things are also easy to take off if you don't like them.

Extremely picky eaters will claim once something like a tomato or a pickle touches food it leaves behind the flavor so taking it off is not an option to them. These are the same type of people who will refuse to eat something if it touches a different type of food on the plate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Extremely picky eaters will claim once something like a tomato or a pickle touches food it leaves behind the flavor so taking it off is not an option to them. These are the same type of people who will refuse to eat something if it touches a different type of food on the plate.

Pickles do leave flavor behind

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'm fairly notoriously picky but that sounds insane to me. Like pickles leave a little bit of flavor but not a meal-ruining flavor, and tomatoes don't leave much at all. I thought only hardcore vegans and orthodox Jews got mad about things touching.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Pickles do leave flavor behind

They do but it's not overwhelming and it makes you look like a baby to send a meal back and hold everyone else up if your burger has a couple pickle slices on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

They do but it's not overwhelming and it makes you look like a baby to send a meal back and hold everyone else up if your burger has a couple pickle slices on it.

:agreed:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm fairly notoriously picky but that sounds insane to me. Like pickles leave a little bit of flavor but not a meal-ruining flavor, and tomatoes don't leave much at all. I thought only hardcore vegans and orthodox Jews got mad about things touching.

Hardcore Christians and Republicans also get mad about certain things touching :mmmhmm:

My current pet peeve is "Christmas rituals". Like, yeah, mother-in-law, it's Christmas. I get it. We're going to come over, have dinner, stay the night, and open presents the next morning after a nice breakfast. Calling these events "rituals" puts a lot of added stress and expectation on things and ruins everyone's good time. Just let these things happen, dammit, without a lot of planning! Traditions are much better when they happen naturally.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
What kind of planning we talking here? 'Cause I would certainly need to prepare to have people stay with me and serve them two big meals.

Is she just very rigid with the schedule?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I finally convinced my wife at the age of 31 with a 10 year old, an 8 year old, and a 5 year old that we shouldn't go to her mom's to spend the night and open presents. I've been saying for years we have to start our own traditions and we can visit but we shouldn't have every holiday sculpted after her parents specifically. I guess my pet peeve is my wife's over reliance on her mother and her opinion.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

areyoucontagious posted:

Hardcore Christians and Republicans also get mad about certain things touching :mmmhmm:

My current pet peeve is "Christmas rituals". Like, yeah, mother-in-law, it's Christmas. I get it. We're going to come over, have dinner, stay the night, and open presents the next morning after a nice breakfast. Calling these events "rituals" puts a lot of added stress and expectation on things and ruins everyone's good time. Just let these things happen, dammit, without a lot of planning! Traditions are much better when they happen naturally.

Or when the "tradition" is kept alive at the expense of any actual fun-having. I don't visit for the holidays often, so when I did a few years ago and brought my SO, we (and my sister and her two kids) all had to stay in my mom's one-bedroom cottage. Two in the bed, one in a chair, and three on couches. My sister's house is just a few miles from my mom's, but we HAD to all stay there Christmas Eve because she was so excited to have us all there. It wasn't a big deal, just for one night, but I was happy to spring for a hotel so we could all be comfortable and have beds.

In a way it was kind of fun for the night, but last year she'd moved in with my grandma and I had to stay with them because my mom wanted me close by. It was cramped, there were people in and out all the time, and a bunch of kids and animals that didn't all get along. That wasn't even tradition, but since I rarely am there for the holidays, a hotel was apparently out of the question.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

artsy fartsy posted:

What kind of planning we talking here? 'Cause I would certainly need to prepare to have people stay with me and serve them two big meals.

Is she just very rigid with the schedule?

I get the feeling it's more of a "if we don't do everything exactly as I like to do it every year forever, you're going to ruin Christmas forever!" type thing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Iron Crowned posted:

I get the feeling it's more of a "if we don't do everything exactly as I like to do it every year forever, you're going to ruin Christmas forever!" type thing.

Yep, this. I like my mother-in-law, for what it's worth. She's not like this most of the time, but sometimes, especially at holidays, she flips out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My family used to have a bunch of traditions that they made a big deal about, but as soon as someone volunteered to take it over they were extremely grateful and apparently hated doing it every year but kept it going because they thought everyone else wanted it. I don't think anyone truly likes preparing holiday dinners, so as long as you are tactful about saying you'd rather start your own thing I would guess most of the time they will be grateful even if they won't say so directly.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Related to picky-eater chat, my pet peeve is people who refuse to ask for substitutions on menu items (I know this flies in the face of the 'try what's on the menu' concept above).
If you're going out to eat, you should eat something you'll enjoy, not something you're anxious about how it will taste because you were too shy to ask for no olives on your pizza or no feta on your salad. You're paying for it, it doesn't hurt to ask if they can prepare your food in a way you'll likely enjoy it! Paying for food you don't like is the worst.

Returning to text vs call chat, another pet-peeve of mine is my landlord who refuses to text. We live on the same property as her, and sometimes I need a really simple question answered, like 'are you home so I can bring down the rent' or 'our internet is down, can you reset the modem', and I have to call, and interrupt whatever she's doing. I hate it!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Related to picky-eater chat, my pet peeve is people who refuse to ask for substitutions on menu items (I know this flies in the face of the 'try what's on the menu' concept above).
If you're going out to eat, you should eat something you'll enjoy, not something you're anxious about how it will taste because you were too shy to ask for no olives on your pizza or no feta on your salad. You're paying for it, it doesn't hurt to ask if they can prepare your food in a way you'll likely enjoy it! Paying for food you don't like is the worst.

Returning to text vs call chat, another pet-peeve of mine is my landlord who refuses to text. We live on the same property as her, and sometimes I need a really simple question answered, like 'are you home so I can bring down the rent' or 'our internet is down, can you reset the modem', and I have to call, and interrupt whatever she's doing. I hate it!

Using this to segue into landlord chat--I have a wonderful, sweet landlord who owns the large house-converted-to-apartments I live in. The neighborhood is meh, but the apartments are wonderful and fairly inexpensive, and our landlord is fantastic. But he only accepts checks, and it takes him two weeks or more to actually deposit them.

Related: my roommate, who is also very nice, has no social media, no Venmo or PayPal. The utilities are in her name. So I have to pull out my checkbook a couple of times a month when the water or electricity bills are due, unless I have cash on me, which is rare. She's not a complete Luddite--the bills are on autopay--but I really wish people would make it easier for me to give them money!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

More an annoyance of the moment than a real peeve but I'm beginning to think that the so called real time tracking for my bus company may be a bit of a fibber.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Are we still bitching about driving? Because tonight I had somebody behind me just constantly flashing their hi-beams on and off at me, for no reason I could determine. Thanks for randomly trying to kill me, you prick! :thumbsup:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Last night, I learned about this neat website -- http://radio.garden -- that lets you tune into random radio stations all over the globe. How cool is this?! Every local culture in the world, right at your fingertips! I thought. I wonder what they're listening to in this tiny dot in the middle of nowhere in Siberia ... or this tiny dot on some island in the South Pacific... or this tiny dot in the Andes Mountains...

Turns out, there's like a 90% chance it will either be lovely American country music or lovely techno music. Depressing as gently caress.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I just pick them off

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rabbit Hill posted:

Last night, I learned about this neat website -- http://radio.garden -- that lets you tune into random radio stations all over the globe. How cool is this?! Every local culture in the world, right at your fingertips! I thought. I wonder what they're listening to in this tiny dot in the middle of nowhere in Siberia ... or this tiny dot on some island in the South Pacific... or this tiny dot in the Andes Mountains...

Turns out, there's like a 90% chance it will either be lovely American country music or lovely techno music. Depressing as gently caress.

stupid world liking their stupid music I don't like

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Are there lovely shock jocks though? It might be worth learning Russian to listen to Crazy Yuri and the 'Rade

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

AlphaKretin posted:

Are we still bitching about driving? Because tonight I had somebody behind me just constantly flashing their hi-beams on and off at me, for no reason I could determine. Thanks for randomly trying to kill me, you prick! :thumbsup:

I go 70-80 on the highway when there's minimal traffic and all the other the cars in the two left lanes are going at least 70 (except sometimes the dumb idiot in the left lane going 55: gently caress you!!!!), Anyways sometimes there's a psycho who tailgates me and I've also gotten the bright-flashing. a) go around cause there's not many other cars on the road! b) you are insane! 80 isn't fast enough? Then they eventually decide to go around with that super-quick-and-close lane swipe that almost hits your car- you drivers probably know what I mean- and speed off at 120mph.

Game reviews that spoil things (this also goes for movies and TV shows). for example

quote:

Yeah this game was super great, the graphics were amazing and the story was fantastic, and SUPER HUGE PLOT SPOILER was so cool! Overall a great game!

Are these people TRYING to ruin other people's game experiences, sadistically? Are they so dense that they don't realize not to write huge spoilers? Do they not know that many sites have spoiler tags; or, if they don't, you can be like

*-------SPOILERS BELOW-----*

Then when I read one of these I try to make my brain forget it or tell myself "nah, that's not what happened" but my brain does NOT FORGET. So even if I get the game, it's ruined because I already know what's going to happen. And it's like "oh that's why Guy is doing [seemingly insignificant thing]. Cause he's gonna die. :smith: "

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Dec 21, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Thin Privilege posted:

Game reviews that spoil things (this also goes for movies and TV shows). for example

Are these people TRYING to ruin other people's game experiences, sadistically? Are they so dense that they don't realize not to write huge spoilers? Do they not know that many sites have spoiler tags; or, if they don't, you can be like

*-------SPOILERS BELOW-----*

Then when I read one of these I try to make my brain forget it or tell myself "nah, that's not what happened" but my brain does NOT FORGET. So even if I get the game, it's ruined because I already know what's going to happen. And it's like "oh that's why Guy is doing [seemingly insignificant thing]. Cause he's gonna die. :smith: "

My position on Spoilers is based on age - if it's new then I don't want it spoiling but if it's a ten year old gamecube game then I can live with it, as it would be silly to expect people that aren't me to be careful about them (I've been teased a few times for spoiler tagging 10-15 year old games). I've started playing the Baten Kaitos games and I know about the twist in Origins, but I'm not feeling ruined about it because it just makes me curious how it's presented.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Speaking of road related peeves, people seem to think it's perfectly ok to leave very little room between me and them when i'm on my motorbike and it drives me insane. Stopped at a light? Can bet they are so close if I rolled back at least half a meter I would nudge them with my tyre. It's even worse when people go to overtake or i'm pulling into somewhere, if I were to suddenly swerve to the other side of my lane they would probably hit me.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Let me expound: it's the erasure of unique local culture and its supplantation with lifeless bottom-tier American and European export that's so disappointing.

E: At least Ulan-Ude comes through: http://radio.garden/live/ulan-ude/buryad-fm-90-8/

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Dec 21, 2016

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

oldpainless posted:

If they wanted to listen to American country music they wouldn't be on a website that claims to feature radio stations from all over the world.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sociopastry posted:

not to poo poo on your peeve, but this usually isn't the choice of the person helping you. I used to work tech support for a call center and we'd get disciplined/docked for not following the script exactly- and yes, usually it was 20 million iterations of "do you have it plugged in"

16 years of doing tech support here:

It's never plugged in. It's never turned on. The power strip is disconnected. The (x) cable is unplugged.

Always.

That's why I always say to unplug it first before I have them plug it in to let them have the cover of "re-seating" the cable instead of the fact that it wasn't plugged-in in the first place. I once had to do this twice within 30 seconds of me getting into the office. The two people complained that "Nothing ever works!" and "Why does nothing get fixed!"

Just two unplugged computers. Which they probably unplugged their selves.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Plus they can chill in their car and I can be in parts of the house where I might not hear them knocking.

Get a dog if you can't hear the door. They always tell you when someone is there. They'll even come get you. When I had people casing my neighborhood for nefarious purposes, the first question the cops asked was "do you have a dog?" When I said "Yes" they said "Good." Dogs sing for their supper. If someone ever tried to break into my house, they'd have the happiest, loudest, jumpiest dog they'd ever seen. A loud "bay" will wake you up anytime.

Grip it and Whippet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2us5_CSM0

Mine has yellow lab in it. She's just as fast, just bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mostlygray posted:

Get a dog if you can't hear the door.

Or get a small device that people can use to contact you quickly and conveniently. Instead of a living creature that is utterly dependent upon you and will cost orders of magnitude more money to care for, if your job, health and housing situation even allow for it. Come on.

Content: Another honking peeve. The on-road light rail here is staffed by a bunch of assholes, either that or the laws are completely bonkers (but I'm pretty sure it's the assholes thing). If they are behind any cars waiting at lights, some of them will honk the ever-loving poo poo out of their horns the instant the light turns green, no matter the circumstances.

On multiple occasions I have seen a car waiting to turn right, on a green light, onto a road that has pedestrians crossing, with a streetcar driver hammering on his horn continuously until the pedestrians clear the road and the car can loving turn. I'm 99% certain the car isn't supposed to mow through the pedestrians legally crossing the street on a "walk" light just so the loving streetcar can shave 10 seconds off its loop.

(Also I'll take the opportunity while I'm here to bitch about suicidal bicyclists who run reds and slalom around pedestrians, just begging to get in a horrific accident. They're always the same ones bleating the loudest about "sharing the road" when they have no intention of doing so themselves).