Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there;s actually quite a bit to explore. a video game from this year did it better than either movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

a video game... better than either movie.

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean i'm right. the game itself wasn't particularly great tho.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

one thing i didn't like about chappie is they didn't explain/explore that it's not really their friend in the robot but a copy of him and their friend is still dead as a doornail.

They touch on this in SOMA, where they are uploading their copies into a satellite to send into space and the crew started killing themselves after getting copied because they believed they would instantly wake up on the satellite. Its a big plot point in the backstory of the game, where you wake up 50? years after everything happened. Technically this is just a subject of the technological singularity, the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization.

If you want to learn about it, I would say you should watch the Transcendent Man documentary, about inventor, futurist and author Ray Kurzweil and his predictions about the future of technology in his 2005 book, The Singularity is Near. There's a few movies about it Transcendence, Ex Machina, and the true movie about the Singularity is called The Terminator.

Chappie was trash, in my opinion. I hope you like this awful band from South Africa. Chappie if your not gangster enough, you wont get to be part of the heist~.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Chappie is a fun and good movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Chappie is good, Prometheus is good, I'm starting to think this guy just has Bad Movie Opinions.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Who doesn't?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I also like Die Antwoord. But I've only heard a few songs. They are good. Just like Chappie!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
judging by the production stills, they still haven't clued in on the essential ingredient to the Alien art direction for human starships; beige plastic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Chappie is a fun and good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDsYah9sTAE

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's actually a cookbook.

"How to Cook Humans?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerBoat posted:

"How to Cook Humans?"

It's actually a genetic engineering book.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

New teaser image was shared with the numbers '220512052104'. We know that 2104 is the year that Alien: Covenant takes place and people are speculating that the other numbers represent a date for a teaser or trailer of some kind.

More leaked rumors spreading around confirming that David somehow merges android DNA with that of the protomorph (the alien shown on the film poster) to create the xenomorph we all know and that's where the biomechanical look comes from. Looks like Fassbender might steal the show again.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

SUNKOS posted:

New teaser image was shared with the numbers '220512052104'. We know that 2104 is the year that Alien: Covenant takes place and people are speculating that the other numbers represent a date for a teaser or trailer of some kind.

More leaked rumors spreading around confirming that David somehow merges android DNA with that of the protomorph (the alien shown on the film poster) to create the xenomorph we all know and that's where the biomechanical look comes from. Looks like Fassbender might steal the show again.

They still use ACOGs and EOTech holosights 88 years from now? Unless Alien: Covenant is about Aliens coming to earth and attacking a historical reenactment group in the future this is going to suck.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Biomute posted:

They still use ACOGs and EOTech holosights 88 years from now? Unless Alien: Covenant is about Aliens coming to earth and attacking a historical reenactment group in the future this is going to suck.

I love Aliens but hip firing your sightless/scopeless rifle isnt something that works outside of the 80s.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

banned from Starbucks posted:

I love Aliens but hip firing your sightless/scopeless rifle isnt something that works outside of the 80s.

Sure, but new optic designs come out all the time, and the licenses for that gear costs money so they would not pay for them without a reason. Makes no sense for such ancient gear being used in the future. At least go for a Russian 1P63 that would fit right in with Aliens. I guess it could be a shot from some "The history of the USCM" web-short/tie-in/background flavor they've got planned.

And the smartguns had HUDs ffs. :(

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 20, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im just glad theyre not holding TOTALY SPACEAGE LOOKING GUN P90

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Im just glad theyre not holding TOTALY SPACEAGE LOOKING GUN P90

Sci fi predictions for weapons tend not to be any more accurate than others.

Remember how everything was going to be bullpups?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The crew of the Prometheus used some kind of laser handguns and shotguns in the scenes where they fight Fifield and the engineer, you could see the blue electric flash from the barrels as they fired and they didn't sound like conventional weaponry despite looking so. The weapons in Alien Covenant could be similar in that they have familiar designs but futuristic behavior?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biomute posted:

Sure, but new optic designs come out all the time, and the licenses for that gear costs money so they would not pay for them without a reason. Makes no sense for such ancient gear being used in the future. At least go for a Russian 1P63 that would fit right in with Aliens. I guess it could be a shot from some "The history of the USCM" web-short/tie-in/background flavor they've got planned.

And the smartguns had HUDs ffs. :(
The Sulaco had M16s and Lewis Guns on the racks in the armory, among other anachronistic weapons. Half the Marines were packing VP70 pistols, a gun that had been discontinued before the movie even came out, if I'm remembering right. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sci-fi is way cooler with modern day type guns. gently caress laser weapons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I have no preference as long as they look and sound cool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not at all a gun guy but it seems weird even when big budget movies just use modern day guns, like very obvious specific current weapons. They'll make all these props and sets and then just use a normal today gun. Make some cool props. Sure take design cues from stuff, but make something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The only time that really stood out to me was in Terminator Salvation because LMAO compared to the like two minutes of future war we see in the first two movies.

Wasn't there a point where tons of video games and movies used the pancor jackhammer as the base for their badass near future gun? They should keep using it because it looks cool.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A big reason is blank firing guns, if you want the guns to actually fire blanks they can't just be props. You can maybe dress up a real gun, but that's about it. But you'd think with huge budget movies they could make their own props and CG in some muzzle flares and poo poo? I don't know!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

A big reason is blank firing guns, if you want the guns to actually fire blanks they can't just be props. You can maybe dress up a real gun, but that's about it. But you'd think with huge budget movies they could make their own props and CG in some muzzle flares and poo poo? I don't know!

Blanks look better than CG flashes, especially in low light scenes where the light effects the characters and environments. They also give a reference for the location audio and give the actors a bit more to react to. That and Ridley is very much in favor of doing as much on location as is practical.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Trailer just passed classification and clocks in at just over two minutes. Couple new images released as well.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not at all a gun guy but it seems weird even when big budget movies just use modern day guns, like very obvious specific current weapons. They'll make all these props and sets and then just use a normal today gun. Make some cool props. Sure take design cues from stuff, but make something.

Gun manufacturers pay for placement or offer free product to get them into films.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SUNKOS posted:

Trailer just passed classification and clocks in at just over two minutes. Couple new images released as well.

Hope they're in zero-g, because gently caress sleeping standing up for months on end!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Payndz posted:

Hope they're in zero-g, because gently caress sleeping standing up for months on end!

would you even know?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MacheteZombie posted:

would you even know?
Do you need to be hit by a bus to know it's not good for you?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I sleep standing up all the time and I'm fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It should all be like Inception where you're in a watery sarcophagus.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Payndz posted:

Do you need to be hit by a bus to know it's not good for you?

So your thing here is that its bad for your body?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Another new image

And for comparison, a similar scene from the original Alien

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Could an engineer even walk in there or is that their version of a jeffries tube?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The graininess of the era Alien was made really emphasized the creepy factor of those halls and other settings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The first one looks like a perfect CG render while the 2nd one looks like an actual physical place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just rewatched the Space Jockey scene from Alien and how bad the camera was in reporting back to Ash, while probably not realistic considering how forward in time this happens, is so, so, so loving spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I just rewatched the Space Jockey scene from Alien and how bad the camera was in reporting back to Ash, while probably not realistic considering how forward in time this happens, is so, so, so loving spooky.

It always seemed to me to be like, "your technology won't save you here", which is a scary thing in Sci-Fi