Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zero VGS posted:

My friends own a real life Barcade and were wondering if it would be possible to replicate it (the layout of the place and everything) in New Retro Arcade. Does the game have anything built-in to do it, or can it be done with any kind of existing mod?

You can't change the physical layout of the place. You have total control over which machines go where, but you can't like, set how many machines are in a particular row or stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

GlyphGryph posted:

I remember this, it was super weird. After my first long session it was like everything was slightly off and fake and not solid and also the wrong distance away.

ActualReality feels weird, doesn't it?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My couch is along one edge of my space so I sat down to use medium and I had to remind myself that the couch was solid and real and I could in fact put my weight on it. Not like the fake furniture in VR I keep almost falling through.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus Homes winter sale started. Over 97 titles on sale. 2 titles each day get a special sale only for that day, the rest last until Jan 7th.

There's no way to access the Home store on the web, right? I guess I can wait a couple hours to get home from work and find out what's on sale for how much, but what a baffling way to limit your business.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MerklesBoner posted:

There's no way to access the Home store on the web, right? I guess I can wait a couple hours to get home from work and find out what's on sale for how much, but what a baffling way to limit your business.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Oh, thanks! That'll teach me to get my info from months-old Reddit threads :doh:

iceaim
May 20, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

I remember this, it was super weird. After my first long session it was like everything was slightly off and fake and not solid and also the wrong distance away.

I have this feeling as well after a long VR bender, but personally I really like this feeling. It's like being high without taking any drugs, and it's an awesome bonus on top of amazing VR.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was looking through the Oculus winter sale and noticed Minecraft is free:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/741306562635466/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Serious Sam First Encounter VR is REAL GOOD! I was playing using the teleporter controls and that works well. Aside from having a teleport on your A button, the thumbsticks still do a quick step forward or to the side, so you can still dodge around.

In some ways, it's harder because you can't do a full 180 with your body as fast as you can with a mouse (I think this game has looped my Rift cable around me more than anything else). On the other hand, in some ways it's a lot easier than base Serious Sam because you can literally be firing in two directions at once which is impossible with any other control method. And it feels super fuckin cool to do that. Like in the section in the third or fourth area where you get bombarded with waves of the skeletal horse things, I was able to look in one direction, find one of them, dump on that guy with the pistol in my left hand without looking at him further while finding another target with my head and shooting at that one with the shotgun. It all feels natural and makes you feel like an action hero. I highly recommend.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tip posted:

I think it just acts as a demo unless you own the Win10 version (which I think you can still get free if you already own the java version).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Funny thing in VR I noticed - in Job Simulator, I CANNOT do a throwing motion if it looks like my arm is going to hit something. I physically tried to throw a book or whatever with a full throwing motion with the microwave in front of me, and I couldn't do it.

I kept telling myself there is nothing actually in front of me, but my brain would override every time to keep my arm from banging on the virtual microwave.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AndrewP posted:

Funny thing in VR I noticed - in Job Simulator, I CANNOT do a throwing motion if it looks like my arm is going to hit something. I physically tried to throw a book or whatever with a full throwing motion with the microwave in front of me, and I couldn't do it.

I kept telling myself there is nothing actually in front of me, but my brain would override every time to keep my arm from banging on the virtual microwave.

Doubly ironic considering the number of times I've hit a wall/end table now

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AndrewP posted:

You just solved the GORN breaking controllers problem, replace the chaperone grid with microwaves

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tip posted:

Even if you have an Oculus Touch you're probably better off using Vivecraft instead.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ciaphas posted:

Doubly ironic considering the number of times I've hit a wall/end table now
I had to stop playing shield soccer in Rec Room because I nearly put my hand through a closet door. I'm not sure what caught me by surprise more: the fact that I didn't actually hurt anything, or everyone in the game asking if I was okay (it made an awful lot of noise).

Rec Room is so good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TomR posted:

I showed a buddy of mine VR with my Rift and Touch controllers and he was freaking out about how great it was. Then he was concerned if he got one he wouldn't stop using it ever. Then he started acting strange and said his hands and brain felt weird. He only did the intro demo with the robot and disks so maybe like 15 minutes in VR. I never had anything like that before.

Don't show him super hot VR, he will start shaking with excitement and phase into another dimension.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'll say this about playing Serious Sam with full movement, it really strains your calf muscles because you feel like you have to always be bracing your stance or else you'll topple over. But that just makes it all the more thrilling to play.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

I had to stop playing shield soccer in Rec Room because I nearly put my hand through a closet door. I'm not sure what caught me by surprise more: the fact that I didn't actually hurt anything, or everyone in the game asking if I was okay (it made an awful lot of noise).

Rec Room is so good.

Rec Room is amazing. Everyone is generally really nice in it.

Also, how accurate are the guns in hotdogs horseshoes and handgrenades? I don't own any guns and have only ever fired a few, but they seem pretty indepth with their modeling. When you pull the slide back you can see the first bullet go into the chamber, etc. Its pretty cool

App13
Dec 31, 2011

eonwe posted:

Rec Room is amazing. Everyone is generally really nice in it.

Also, how accurate are the guns in hotdogs horseshoes and handgrenades? I don't own any guns and have only ever fired a few, but they seem pretty indepth with their modeling. When you pull the slide back you can see the first bullet go into the chamber, etc. Its pretty cool

The models are pretty accurate, the physics are not.

That said H3 is amazingly fun because it's physics engine is tuned for that to be a priority.

Edit: the mechanisms and stuff all appear realistic from the perspective of the shooter, I'd love to see how detailed they get internally.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
neat! Yeah, the physics are definitely a bit wonky and scopes are pretty much unusable. that said, its still great to play.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes this also happened to me for the first few sessions. If you bought a headset I suggest taking your time getting used to VR. After a couple of sessions it passed (for me) and now it's just a cool tracking and display tech.

That said, when I messed up my floors I had a whole different type of issue that probably was legit sim sickness. The easy way to make sure your floors are setup correctly on Vive is to make sure both of the lighthouses are in the exact same spot in reality vs vr. If one is a couple of inches high/low that means your floor is calibrated at an angle and can be fixed if you follow the directions of room setup exactly.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I couldn't find much info about this, so sorry if it's been asked already. My girlfriend has pretty sensitive skin, and also wears makeup. She's really interested in getting a Vive, but doesn't want to put a demo kit directly on her face, both for her sake and for the people who have to maintain it and keep it clean. I know there are covers you can buy, but is it feasible and not-rude to bring one and put it on a demo kit?

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 21, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rubber Slug posted:

I couldn't find much info about this, so sorry if it's been asked already. I know someone who has pretty sensitive skin, and also wears makeup. She's really interested in getting a Vive, but doesn't want to put a demo kit directly on her face, both for her sake and for the people who have to maintain it and keep it clean. I know there are covers you can buy, but is it feasible and not-rude to bring one and put it on a demo kit?
It just velcros on, it should be fine unless a clueless rear end in a top hat is running the demo.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the covers from here: https://vrcover.com are a little annoying to put on, but not so difficult you couldn't figure it out in a minute or two (full disclosure: I needed a youtube video to figure it out though :downs:).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Vertigo comes out tomorrow and should be amazing. First full length narrative driven VR game. Really cool mechanics and art direction. only FIFTEEN DOLLARS yes it does seem too good to be true but I'll be buying it and will report back

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So I bought Smashbox Arena and I think it is pretty awesome. It reminds me a little bit of Unreal Tournament due to the way the teleportation mechanic is setup. Very fun game with voice chat turned on. It's pretty exciting to be able to dodge a ball and then shoot them back. There are also several kinds of powerups which are pretty cool.

It's also making me want an Unreal Tournament game with VR support.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tweak posted:

the covers from here: https://vrcover.com are a little annoying to put on, but not so difficult you couldn't figure it out in a minute or two (full disclosure: I needed a youtube video to figure it out though :downs:).

So I have their cotton and leather(pleather?) covers. I'm not a fan of the construction, but the usability is fine. The cover attached with Velcro strips on the inside and slips over the edges on the top and sides, but the bottom near the nose isn't attached to anything except Velcro. So the bottom of the cover can sometimes get pushed up in the HMD when pulling it down over your face.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It looks like Oculus is doing what Valve used to do with their Daily Deals. In other words, if there is a game you want, you are better off waiting until the final day of the sale (Jan 3rd) or if it's a daily deal, because if a game is a daily deal it will be cheaper than the winter sale price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe that means they are on their way to refunds in a few holidays.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Picked up Serious Sam: First Encounter VR. Seems pretty neat and the teleport works well. I turned on smooth running for a while and started to feel gross but the teleport is good. Is there no option for turning? I couldn't find anything in the options. Ideally they could have the right stick for strafe and left stick for turning or vice versa. I have my cameras setup in an almost 360 degree setup but I'd still like the option to recenter myself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DrBox posted:

Picked up Serious Sam: First Encounter VR. Seems pretty neat and the teleport works well. I turned on smooth running for a while and started to feel gross but the teleport is good. Is there no option for turning? I couldn't find anything in the options. Ideally they could have the right stick for strafe and left stick for turning or vice versa. I have my cameras setup in an almost 360 degree setup but I'd still like the option to recenter myself.

No option for turning that I can find. It felt weird at first, but I guess I've just gotten used to turning my whole body for that game now.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Anyone playing Raw Data with touch? I just got my controllers and this one seems really promising, but I'm wary because it lacks official support. If you do play, are you using 2 or 3 sensors?

Bonus question: if I want to get extender cords to space out 3 sensors for room scale, what are some good ones?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bloodysabbath posted:

Anyone playing Raw Data with touch? I just got my controllers and this one seems really promising, but I'm wary because it lacks official support. If you do play, are you using 2 or 3 sensors?

Bonus question: if I want to get extender cords to space out 3 sensors for room scale, what are some good ones?

I'm only using two sensors at present on a diagonal, but I have one of them on this extender from monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9470 (thanks to Zero VGS for suggesting it earlier in the thread). It's working fine for me. It claims to do some sort of signal boosting via power from the USB 3 port, so I'm not sure what effect it will have if you try to use it for a USB 2 extension on the third camera.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The extension Oculus has been shipping with sensors is a 5 meter Monoprice active USB2.0 cable.

e: I'm also on a two-sensor setup right now and have my second sensor on a passive 3m USB3 cable with no troubles. Same with the headset (which is also using a 3m HDMI extension).

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 22, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm using the 10ft version of this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7SA21U/ for my sensors and headset without any issues. I have my headset + 1 sensor plugged into the recommended Inateck card, and 1 sensor plugged into my motherboards USB 2. If you want to extend the HDMI I am using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ517VI/ without any issues, but be aware that apparently some video cards are more picky than others and I guess I got lucky with my MSI 980, because it's been working fine. That also applies with the USB cables too, it really depends on the motherboard/drivers etc etc if they work. If 10 feet isn't long enough, I was able to daisy chain two of the 10 foot USB cables together and it worked fine for the sensor as well.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 22, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've using amazonbasics 6ft usb3 extender for rift USB and a urgreen 6 foot hdmi extender. I've also used 10ft cable gear usb3 extenders for the sensors successfully.
I tried mounting one of my two sensors on the rear wall but it's too far away :(
8ft distance of the rift sensor is pretty weak. I dont have a large room at 13x11 and the back end of the play area, while it is properly detected by guardian, has some wonky detection in the very back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't have to send it all the way to the back. You can just send each camera out to the side to make a diagonal across your room.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

One of the Oculus Daily Deal games, Fantastic Contraption, is $30 $25 :wtc:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The great thing about the Oculus store is that you can't see the price of a game once you've bought it. You'll never know if it went on sale for less than what you paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Results from my testing Monoprice Hybrid Fiber Optic extension cables:

The 75ft HDMI cable works flawlessly. Just use a female-female HDMI coupler and you're good to go. It is very durable and lightweight. It is pricey at $130 but they have a lifetime warranty from Monoprice and they do come in even longer lengths: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13700

Oculus should have built these into their headset from the start, they're that great.

The 33ft USB 3.0 hybrid-optical extension on the other hand, is a pile of poo poo. They are supposed to supply power, and cameras will work momentarily, but they error out in Windows after about 10 seconds. This happened to me with both a normal USB webcam on my laptop, and the Oculus sensors on my desktop. My theory is that the cables use such thin wire for voltage delivery, they probably lose too much voltage from heat/resistance. Here's the link for those: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377