Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure I can stomach another Simmons article after reading about half of his boogie fan fiction, but are we just ignoring the fact that Durant is a better version of Bird already? Or, even if you don't like that comparison and need a white guy, Gordon Hayward is basically the same guy just a little worse across the board?

gently caress it, slow work day, I'm going to go try to read it and report back.

Lockback posted:

Oh my god he called KAT the evolutionary Rasheed Wallace, I don't even know anymore.
He's just being an idiot.

His McHale/Davis thing is going entirely off McHale's career season vs. the current one of a 23 year old who had a better one 2 years ago. McHale didn't hit 20 a game in many of his prime seasons, now he's going for 30 a game? It doesn't work at all as a stylistic comparison either, McHale was a pretty classic post player vs. Davis who's shooting from everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If Demarcus Cousins started yelling "ball don't lie" he'd literally be the GOAT in my eyes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't even hate read or hate listen to Simmons anymore really no point, it's all either predictable or nearly parody
Honestly the NBA podcast and writers game doesn't feel as great lately cuz I basically completely ignore ESPN Lowe and post-Zach Harper CBS eye on basketball

That's a good point. Once espn stopped paying team bloggers and shifted to whatever sort of demi-writing style, everything there went downhill. there were a ton of bloggers doing good analysis, both affiliated and unaffiliated with big networks, but I think the money never matched the effort required, and team blogs are now just light on the analysis and legwork. Beat writers are in a sort of limbo. Matt Moore does a good job at CBS, other than that, nobody moves me.

Tom Haberstroh is good, but espn makes it impossible to find articles by authors, you have to individually check their twitter feeds. It's maddening. I don't want to scroll through a repeating loop of 15 micro news pieces to find one actual article that may or may not be part of the loop

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 21, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Everyone harps on Simmons's pop culture tics and Boston homerism, but the most Simmons thing possible is his legitimately insane obsession with creating infinitely malleable taxonomic systems that stand up to no scrutiny and require 20, 000 words and then get referenced 800 times. It's great. As soon as I saw his column on unicorns I knew it would have like 25 contradictory definition of unicorn and subgenera. If we lived 150 yeads ago, he'd be a botanist creating insane anti-linnaean classification systems that would be found in giant wooden boxes. It is precisely the enormous amount of effort that he puts into these categories with no coherent system of thought that makes him a compelling madman who somehow controls a vast media empire.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a good point. Once espn stopped paying team bloggers and shifted to whatever sort of demi-writing style, everything there went downhill. there were a ton of bloggers doing good analysis, both affiliated and unaffiliated with big networks, but I think the money never matched the effort required, and team blogs are now just light on the analysis and legwork. Beat writers are in a sort of limbo. Matt Moore does a good job at CBS, other than that, nobody moves me.

Yeah, the cream got hoovered up pretty quickly and most people just got tired of writing for free. I wrote for the Hornets TrueHoop blog for a couple years and made like $40

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 21, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Simmons' article proves that he hasn't watched an NBA game, like at all, recently

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paul Zuvella posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh. The Nets, Mavs, and 76ers are pretty total garbage

This Mavs team has been awful for many games but most of that has been due to injury. If everyone is ever healthy (lol), they could be good enough to ruin their draft position and end up with 30-something wins. The 76ers are better than they were last year and would be more so if they had Simmons. Even a fully healthy Nets team is better than a lot of he bottom feeders from the past few years.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 21, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

Yeah, the cream got hoovered up pretty quickly and most people just got tired of writing for free. I wrote for the Hornets TrueHoop blog for a couple years and made like $40

bless you sir

also I only caught the last minute of the hornets lakers game, were the lakers just on fire or was our defense really bad

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Rosanne's son thing has become funny solely because of your commitment to the bit

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

boxcarhobo posted:

bless you sir

also I only caught the last minute of the hornets lakers game, were the lakers just on fire or was our defense really bad

A little of both but mostly just the Lakers hitting shots

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So what you're telling me is that boogie should be my modern day NBA hero
Now he just really needs a good catch phrase

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So what you're telling me is that boogie should be my modern day NBA hero
Now he just really needs a good catch phrase

He said RIDICULOUS about 20 times in his post game last night

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Like 5 years ago Simmons was correctly identifying Manu as the most unique player in the league, "He wasn't the best 2-guard of his generation or anything, but I'm pretty sure we'll see 10 more Dwyane Wades before we see another Ginobili."

Now he's an old man saying nothing will ever be as good as the Celtics were back in his day

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you think Ron Baker is affiliated with the People Nation

I think he's an Almighty Gaylord and I'm let's say 5% convinced that Boogie is a Grape Street Watts Crip (why else would he wear purple all the time?)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

James Harden is just a souped up Ginobli so...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Spoeank posted:

He said RIDICULOUS about 20 times in his post game last night
I have also grown from "ball don't lie" as a life philosophy in the 2000s (it's the anti bushism) to "RIDICULOUS" so boogie is also the right man for the right time

The Simmons turnaround started a while back and was inevitable but do people still respect Zachary Lowe and his analysis cuz it feels like most of the time he's brought up itt these days it's more jokes about how he's a beep boop robo twitter block man

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

quote:

NBA fans will remember six things about 2016: Golden State’s quest for 73 wins, LeBron’s Cavs channeling the 2004 Red Sox, The Block, Durant going Hollywood Hogan on Westbrook

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

straight up brolic posted:

James Harden is just a souped up Ginobli so...

Was just about to post this. To me this is one of the better/more clear player comparisons of the last decade.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lowe is good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can make money in podcasts but they are hard to do well.

ESPN is the worst run media organaziation. Well their live game productions are good.

Does anyone read zack Lowe anymore? How do you even find his articles? Why do they still have insider when you can get better analysis and less ads at "amateur" sites.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

straight up brolic posted:

The Rosanne's son thing has become funny solely because of your commitment to the bit

It all came about when I was watching a Kings / Celtics game and I was listening to 'Steady Mobbin' and wayne said "These n-words softer than roseannes son"

It's my fedex arrow

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Can't wait for part 2 when he considers what if Giannis, Embiid, and Zinger were human and not mythical beasts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol he has Bill Russell as a unicorn what the Christ. He's the most mundane and replicable defensive power forward ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Lol he has Bill Russell as a unicorn what the Christ. He's the most mundane and replicable defensive power forward ever.

But the rings! Tradition! Celtics pride!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I don't know what else you'd expect from a Bill Simmons article other than him trying to shoehorn Russell, Bird and McHale into it somehow. He clearly doesn't even watch basketball anymore. It's funny as hell

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

euphronius posted:

Russell was so unique he utterly nullified Wilt Chamberlain by making him average like 2 points less or something incredible

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think of Harden like a more powerful character using Ginobili's moveset. They play different

D. Russell is a slightly more accurate Ginobili copycat right now but neither is the weird player Ginobili is. They're both PGs now and Manu doesn't play point. He fulfills a unique and specific niche on his team. It's possible he wouldn't be a hall of famer if you'd put him on a different team (he'd still get in for international play)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I know I remember his Russell infatuation after I hit post.

Didn't he have Russell as like in the second tier of best players of all time ?

I did enjoy all the Embiid talk.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I know I remember his Russell infatuation after I hit post.

Didn't he have Russell as like in the second tier of best players of all time ?

I believe he was in the top 5

Edit: Number 2 haha http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/simmons_pyramid.html

I love my old timey celtics but that's cute

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

The unicorns talk is stupid but you're doubling down on that right here.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

You can make money in podcasts but they are hard to do well.

ESPN is the worst run media organaziation. Well their live game productions are good.

Does anyone read zack Lowe anymore? How do you even find his articles? Why do they still have insider when you can get better analysis and less ads at "amateur" sites.

People read him, but since they updated their site, you have to go to his twitter to get links to his articles. Insider still exists, but for the NBA it's just Chad Ford's draft stuff, fantasy advice, and Kevin Pelton

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's my cabbage patch boy, thank you very much for the vid. Fun game last night.

He has a nice voice.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'd rather just compile a list of bad unicorns. Except lets just call them unique players. Like I dont think we'll ever see another Hedo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Ringer actually had a pretty good article on the pick-and-roll the other day

quote:

Former Clipper Glen Davis was asked on The Herd earlier this year if Chris Paul is a problem in the locker room. Big Baby didn’t exactly answer the question, but he did give his best CP3 impersonation:

“‘I’m Chris Paul. Give me the ball. I’m gonna dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble."

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BWV posted:

I'd rather just compile a list of bad unicorns.

The raptors had a bunch of these over the years:
Keon Clark
Oliver Miller
Mo Peterson
Tracy Murray

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

dokmo posted:

The raptors had a bunch of these over the years:
Keon Clark
Oliver Miller
Mo Peterson
Tracy Murray
Andrea Bargnani!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's bad rear end that Bill Simmons had the thought "I wanna write an article about how I think Giannis is cool" and then his broken brain reverse engineered a Unicorn Comparison Article with a Catalog of Historical Unicorns

The entire article is just "Embiid and Porzingis are cool, but Giannis is soooo cool"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Javale McGee, Nick Young unicorn tandem bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The unicorns talk is stupid but you're doubling down on that right here.

There's like 10 6'8" athletic guys that play defense and rebound but can't score every draft.

• Locked thread