Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hokuto posted:

I wish there was a game where the pull of the Earth's gravity well had a measurable effect on people's souls and Newtype powers.

I heard (but cannot confirm, since I haven't played them) that this was true in some earlier G Gen games and levels gained in space were better for Awakening.

It sounds both improbable and yet something that might be snuck in somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'd be surprised if Amuro didn't have a character skill later on that makes up the difference between his Awakening and Char's.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Prism posted:

I heard (but cannot confirm, since I haven't played them) that this was true in some earlier G Gen games and levels gained in space were better for Awakening.

It sounds both improbable and yet something that might be snuck in somewhere.

That sounds like something Cavia would make.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

EthanSteele posted:

Any sign of full body portraits like Z1 and the OGs?

Well, unless someone can provide an image that will 100% answer that, this is all I can think of.

In both Z2s and Z3s, they used mugshots for the top ace(s) and dialogue, but in Alpha 2, Alpha 3, MX and Z they used full body portraits for both.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
nvm I'm dumb

Content: About the counter thing, there is a(n extremely expensive) skill mod that lets you always go first on the counter. It's called "Full Counter" so presumably it just makes all your weapons C.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 15, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Son Ryo posted:

I'd be surprised if Amuro didn't have a character skill later on that makes up the difference between his Awakening and Char's.

I think it might just be weird and CCA Char is better than CCA Amuro. The only skills that affects Awakening afaik are Newtype/Cyber/Clone and it would be weird for CCA Char to not get Newtype when Quattro starts with it and OYW Char gets it has his second skill. Amuro might get the cheaper MP cost for attacks that use it though.

Jerid has 20 awakening, which makes sense so maybe they gave a little to Bright because he's hung around with so many and he just rolls his eyes and goes "the magic baby said we should shoot in that direction so get on it"

I know a previous G Gen game adjusted stat growths based on what you piloted, a suit with a Psycommu weapon would raise awakening, a Gouf would raise melee more and stuff like that AND your points spend would be worth more at higher levels, so instead of every time you fill the bar getting you 1 extra point, filling the bar would get you 2 and then 3 and then 4 but it didn't keep track of it by how many points you had spent but by level so the minmax strat was to make sure you levelled all the way to 15 or 20 in a single attack so you'd skip all the things that were only worth 1 point to go directly to 2 and get 20 extra points so the Space Terrain modifier isn't as far fetched as you might think.

Inferno-sama posted:

In both Z2s and Z3s, they used mugshots for the top ace(s) and dialogue, but in Alpha 2, Alpha 3, MX and Z they used full body portraits for both.

That is a good point! Fingers crossed!

I hope 100% Counter skill existing means that regular Counter doesn't exist and you're just supposed to use the special weapons for your going first needs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awakening tends to be a catch-all "is capable of using remote weaponry" ability. It made a bit more sense in the true crossover GGens where it allowed there to be a universal stat between the various special attributes of each stats. They also tended to have Newtype as a skill under different names. (The funniest of which was "Enhanced Spatial Awareness" for SEED which only Mu, Rau, Prayer and Kira have IIRC.) It's not exactly Newtype though because it often appears on characters who are explicitly not Newtypes.

In GGenGen they probably could just make ti Newtypes but honestly you'd screw a lot of pilots over in that case considering almost every single high-tier unit requires Awakening to fully function.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

I hope 100% Counter skill existing means that regular Counter doesn't exist and you're just supposed to use the special weapons for your going first needs.

Agree because it moves us all that much closer to NEO's important weapon properties being standard.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Which in turn opens the door to the RX-78-2 Gundam using Super Napalm again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

Which in turn opens the door to the RX-78-2 Gundam using Super Napalm again.
I remember I would always try using the Super Napalm in A Portable and each and every time I was mad that it never hit anything.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Question on the first stage of 0080 in GGG. How do I the Get gauge on Bernie's Zaku? I was filling it up but the map ended after I killed the fifth GM (I had cleared the space portion that turn). Do I have to leave some enemies alive in the space portion of the map while moving Bernie? I just went though the map and would like to know before trying again.

Edit: I ended up trying again. Yep, that's what I had to do. For some reason I thought that getting Bernie to the zone was a complete requirement for the map but that was just to get the event with Al and Bernie.

Took 28 turns to get that Get gauge filled since I kept walking around back and forth to spawn the GMs.

ZuljinRaynor fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 17, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You should have just evolved a Zaku II and saved yourself 24 turns.

Has anyone managed to get a Waverider Crash scene in Genesis? I've managed to get the Giant Beam Saber attack and the full power up conversation, but it seems like the Waverider Crash itself as a cutscene isn't in other than in the intro cinematic of the game.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I thought part of the implication from MSG was that everyone on board White Base was a Newtype on some level by the end.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

EthanSteele posted:

You should have just evolved a Zaku II and saved yourself 24 turns.

I had not thought of that at all. I ended up doing a lot more development focusing after that. Had to in order to get the Alex. Ended up working towards ZZ by accident. When I bought a Core Fighter, I had not planned on taking to all the way to FAZZ.

Is there a benefit to developing a suit at a higher level than required?

Also, so happy to finally have Sayla and she talks. Too bad Fraw is a mute if she is in an MS but at least she talks in warships.

Mister Olympus posted:

I thought part of the implication from MSG was that everyone on board White Base was a Newtype on some level by the end.

I think most of them are, but I am pretty sure Bright is an Oldtype. I can't recall him doing anything Newtype-y himself in Zeta and later. In MSG, he heard Amuro at the end and that was it as far as I remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Is there a benefit to developing a suit at a higher level than required?

The only benefit is in Exchanging, since the level of your unit determines what it can exchange for.

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I think most of them are, but I am pretty sure Bright is an Oldtype. I can't recall him doing anything Newtype-y himself in Zeta and later. In MSG, he heard Amuro at the end and that was it as far as I remember.

Bright is explicitly not a Newtype. That is why his nickname is "The Man who couldn't ride the rainbow" or whatever they translated it as. He's a non-Newtype who has been following and guiding Newtypes his entire life.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It was actually Job John, Newtype Prodigy, who guided Amuro back to White Base.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

It was actually Job John The Chef, Newtype Burger Prodigy, who guided Amuro back to White Base.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It wouldn't surprise me if the original intention was that the White Base crew unlocked Newtype powers because their souls stopped being held by gravity and they evolved/enlightened. But as it is now, Newtypes are like every other Young Adult X-Men knockoff where some people are born special for no reason. It is what it is, I suppose.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HitTheTargets posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the original intention was that the White Base crew unlocked Newtype powers because their souls stopped being held by gravity and they evolved/enlightened. But as it is now, Newtypes are like every other Young Adult X-Men knockoff where some people are born special for no reason. It is what it is, I suppose.

Intention, nothin'. Within the context of MSG alone, that's what happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

That is absolutely the intention. In the novels by the end everyone on White Base is a Newtype, it's a plot point in fact. That said even then some people are stronger newtypes than others. (Amuro, Lalah, Kusko Al and ironically Kai Shiden all top the charts. The last being relevant because he's the guy everyone has to follow to track down Gihren in the ending)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

That is absolutely the intention. In the novels by the end everyone on White Base is a Newtype, it's a plot point in fact. That said even then some people are stronger newtypes than others. (Amuro, Lalah, Kusko Al and ironically Kai Shiden all top the charts. The last being relevant because he's the guy everyone has to follow to track down Gihren in the ending)
Weird. Is that saying that all spacenoids can go newtype with the right experience, or that it happens to all humans who travel around in space regardless of where they were born, or what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird. Is that saying that all spacenoids can go newtype with the right experience, or that it happens to all humans who travel around in space regardless of where they were born, or what?

Its' worth noting that in the novels they never leave space, the entire thing is spacebound. (Including Garma whose carrier is named the California or something instead.) And yeah, the basic idea is "being in space can lead many more people to Newtype awakenings." It's the origin of Char's asteroid plan because he hopes to drive everyone off Earth to force people to become Newtypes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Its' worth noting that in the novels they never leave space, the entire thing is spacebound. (Including Garma whose carrier is named the California or something instead.) And yeah, the basic idea is "being in space can lead many more people to Newtype awakenings." It's the origin of Char's asteroid plan because he hopes to drive everyone off Earth to force people to become Newtypes.
Yeah, but I always interpreted it as that after a few generations in space, a few people here and there would start being born who were very well adapted to it, not just everyone at once.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Basically, Zeon Zum Deikun's hippie bullshit was right. The vastness of space causes human conciousness to expand, eventually unlocking the potential for telepathic communication.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Basically, Zeon Zum Deikun's hippie bullshit was right. The vastness of space causes human conciousness to expand, eventually unlocking the potential for telepathic communication.

And despite that humanity is so bullshit they spend most of their time weaponizing it.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
December DLC seems to be out for GGG (Playing English version)! Got the patch last night but now I see it listed 5 DLC instead of 1 in the Hub or whatever it's called on PS4.

Edit: I like how the patch was all the content and all the DLC are just unlock codes pretty much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, the weird inconsistency thing with names rears its head again. Lane Aim in the dialogue, Rein Eim in the name box. I guess the editor keeps missing those.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
It is a shame the music for HF does not seem to be available to use with custom characters.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Haro map sounds to my terible ear like its not been translated quite right and Jerid says he's going to smash you like a "pi ata" because I guess they didn't have the ñ in the font the game uses or something. The music is good as hell though, especially the victory fanfare when you're done and apparently you get each level of the mod part for the first three times you do it.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 21, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

[*]No ALL weapons
[*]No Formation menu
[*]No squad skills
[/list]
there are probably no squads.
Maybe those all get introduced when squads get added later on? Oooh. Ahh.

But yeah no squads wouldn't surprise me. The only series that really have characters to make squad filler of are Cross Ange and the gundams. I guess if you really, really mined Nadesico you could toss in the jovians, but that's still only like 8 characters.

Oh, also, akurasu has a tiny bit on the skill route system translated if you're curious.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 21, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Misc. collected from 2ch:

Nadesico showing commands for Extra Action and Extra Order (more on this in a sec) and also something called "System Control" which is presumably Ruri's special command.

Sub-Orders are the same as in Z except you get TacP instead of PP but someone else can pick through the faces who is more educated on Gundams/Might Gain/Cross Ange than me.

Unconfirmed spoilers about Extra Count, which sounds stupid so I'm calling them points:

You get them like Tag Force, by dropping enemies and levelng, but each unit can hold up to 10 and spend them on Ex Actions.

Extra Actions:
  • Boost Dash. +2 movement, ignore terrain. 2 points.
  • Direct Attack. Gives you Fury. 2 points.
  • Smash Hit. Gives you... the one that guarantees a crit? 3 points.
  • Extra Action. Obviates all the others. Same as before, refresh your action if you destroy an enemy. 3 points.

Ships, only, can also use Extra Commands:
  • Emergency Recall. Docks a friendly from up to 8 spaces away. 1 point.
  • Boost Morale. +10 morale to one friendly within 4. 2 points.
  • Boost Ex Points. Gives 2 ExC to a friendly within 4. 3 points.
  • Restore Actions. Obviates all the others. Refreshes an action for a friendly within 5. 5 points.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

something called "System Control" which is presumably Ruri's special command.

Yup, other picture says it's Ruri's unique skill: once per map, cast Analyze and Confuse on all enemy units. No special requirements to activate.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seeing Beecha and Elle on the Sub Orders list is leading me to believe we really are getting some ZZ plot in this game, as usually those two haven't shown up unless either ZZ plot is going on or they need to pad the pilot roster (see: Alpha 3 and MX).

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Oh dear, a bunch of random and possibly useless Ange and ZZ characters without a squad system sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It only when you have multiple characters piloting the same grunt suits that that it really feels like a waste. If every extra pilot has something unique for them to use it's not that big of a deal. Like if they try to fit the stories of Zeta Gundam and ZZ in it will feel dumb because they'll either have multiples of suits or some pilots won't have anything for them to use.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Or you end up with strange cases like Roux piloting a Zakrello.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Cross Ange pilots there are pretty obvious picks, and we'll probably get Chris and Salia too.

The big questions wrt Cross Ange characters are if we'll get Tusk himself as a pilot (he rides around a kind of hoverbike thing that can shoot lasers but never really accomplishes much until like the last ep), and whether or not Vivian will be able to use her dragon form at all (she can turn into a dragon, and hits a mech once, but she never really consistently fights in it that I recall). that last one is mostly relevant because an actual dragon as a unit in a SRW game would be cool. And whether or not they'll go all Code Geass in Z2 and give us the really minor background characters like Rosalie's squad of newbies. Or a secret to save that one girl from the blood explosion gif.

I'm not super into Cross Ange but I at least liked most of the cast and a SRW game kind of has to naturally remove most of the dumber elements of its plot because it's 99% static heads talking and so can't do fanservice, so it's probably the only series I'm that excited for in this. (I liked Yamato well enough but a single battleship isn't a lot to go on, and I don't really care about Crossbone or old super robot shows)

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 21, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

whether or not Vivian will be able to use her dragon form at all (she can turn into a dragon, and hits a mech once, but she never really consistently fights in it that I recall). that last one is mostly relevant because an actual dragon as a unit in a SRW game would be cool.

Best of all possible worlds would probably have it be like the Granzon > Neo Granzon transformation in MD. Just pop it and suddenly you're a wall of HP of a dragon.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Endorph posted:

I'm not super into Cross Ange but I at least liked most of the cast and a SRW game kind of has to naturally remove most of the dumber elements of its plot because it's 99% static heads talking and so can't do fanservice, so it's probably the only series I'm that excited for in this. (I liked Yamato well enough but a single battleship isn't a lot to go on, and I don't really care about Crossbone or old super robot shows)

Yeah, Ange is the crazy from-left-field inclusion into the series I'm looking forward to the most at this point. It's good to try new things and I wish I'd come around to the notion sooner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm looking forward to crossover shenanigans but I can't really muster any focused hype for it because I don't know enough about any of it to speculate or look forward to anything in particular. My main thing is still that V is kind of a post-apocalyptic setting where everything is poo poo and the Earth is a hellhole (you know, because it's written around Yamato and Cross Ange) and between the later Z's and the ongoing OG SRW has been civilized and military as hell. This makes me kind of think of the first Z, which was kind of in the middle of rebuilding its infrastructure from scratch and there was a bunch of kind of fantastic things.

(Z3 was pretty fantastical but there's a huge difference between "we are magical space jerks who know more than you, woooooooooo" and "we are magical space jerks who know more than you because [ten pages of exposition on shinka]".)

Also I think there hasn't been an isometric, non-squaddie SRW since... what, MX? so that's kind of neat.

• Locked thread