Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

GeneX posted:

Scotch is great, and I would rather drink it than any of these themed drinks (especially the ones with mountain dew or loving everclear. Jeez.)

Bogles: 1 shot of everclear, then 1 shot of mountain dew, pray for a swift death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Voyager I posted:

Reprint those too. That's literally the purpose of the Masters sets.

But also Surrakar Spellblade, which has no value and is terrible in limited.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
What does everyone think of rare re-drafting? I mean it seems pretty cool right? It actually forces people to draft a good deck and not just draft the rares?

What about Jace? That guy is an amazing character, lots of depth and an interesting background. I really associate with him.

Also, the reserved list is awesome and anyone who disagrees is just jealous that they haven't played the game as long as the old school players. Those cards are reserved for magic's elite players, not plebs.

:wave:

Also, mcmagic post something really opinionated to help me out here

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/811617254701809664

I legitimately don't understand how they can be this out of touch.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

Also, the reserved list is awesome and anyone who disagrees is just jealous that they haven't played the game as long as the old school players. Those cards are reserved for magic's elite players, not plebs.

:wave:
I like that this has become the shorthand meme for legacy and RL woes when the truth is much funnier: the best time to get into legacy was in 2009-10. Best time to get now-modern cards too. I know as an old school player who started in Zendikar.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

:agreed: it should be a hat-based economy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

I like that this has become the shorthand meme for legacy and RL woes when the truth is much funnier: the best time to get into legacy was in 2009-10. Best time to get now-modern cards too. I know as an old school player who started in Zendikar.

$10 duals and $400 black-bordered Lotuses from the mid-90's would like a word with you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why the hell is Ajani Steadfast 14 bucks?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

EDH.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Atraxa has completely broken the EDH secondary market, anything that has counter or planeswalker synergy has erupted in price.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Shortest Path posted:

Atraxa has completely broken the EDH secondary market, anything that has counter or planeswalker synergy has erupted in price.

OK I guess I was tangentially aware of that seeing as doubling season is 60 bucks...

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GeneX posted:

Scotch is great, and I would rather drink it than any of these themed drinks (especially the ones with mountain dew or loving everclear. Jeez.)

does anyone actually buy gimmick themed booze because they're good? You do it because it's there and then promptly regret it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Johnnie Walker has White Label, Blue Label, Black Label, Red Label, and Green Label, though White Label has been discontinued for about a century so good luck finding a bottle to mix with your Mountain Dew you nerds.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

does anyone actually buy gimmick themed booze because they're good? You do it because it's there and then promptly regret it

That one semi-famous nerd bar in Australia makes gimmick drinks that are apparently really drat good from everything I've heard or read about them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

I buy fireball since I enjoy it and like the candy flavor. I also like the angry man in front.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

$10 duals and $400 black-bordered Lotuses from the mid-90's would like a word with you.

Nah. Nobody actually cares or buys vintage cards and you'd have to sit through a ton of poo poo sets that aren't valuable compared to getting everything cheap just 6 years ago. Of course assuming that you stayed that long, since a time leap forward to even a couple years ago means you missed out on the staples.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BJPaskoff posted:

Johnnie Walker has White Label, Blue Label, Black Label, Red Label, and Green Label, though White Label has been discontinued for about a century so good luck finding a bottle to mix with your Mountain Dew you nerds.

There's also gold label and double black.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

OK I guess I was tangentially aware of that seeing as doubling season is 60 bucks...

Things I'll buy. Eventually.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I buy fireball since I enjoy it and like the candy flavor. I also like the angry man in front.

same

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

It's definitely a bit upsetting to me that in 2011 when I spent a couple hundo on 2 bad standard decks I could have spent about the same and been playing one bad modern deck.

I've got a bunch of rando cards I wanted to turn into decks but just gave up zzz

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

That's a loving shame because she's basically Jenara with a few more PW pals.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Chill la Chill posted:

That was my best attempt to derail the mtg drinks chat, kinda failed, that being said my favorite is seeing the old print price guides, or old channefireball tv stuff on YouTube where they have listed their high buy list price for cards that are now worth pennies or low buylist price for cards worth $50+

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Considering they could do so many interesting things with that it is pretty sad that they came up with "special avatars!!1!"

Why do something simple like make a league leader tournament where the winner gets sets of mtgo cards? Top 8 performers in each league format at the end of the month get a copy of a ridiculously expensive mtgo card in that format. Considering they can basically print worthless digital money, they are that unimaginative / cheap that the best thing they can come up with is "you get a special avatar of Jace cosplaying Chandra" or some dumb poo poo... just sad

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I was making some proxies for my cube and thought I'd try to go a little fancy instead of just using magic set editor this time, and tried remaking the m15 frames with the old border art assets. I think it turned out really good and wanted to share the test cards here. :)

I feel like vanguard cards were the precursors to modern planeswalker cards, and wanted to do something with that too, hence the hybrid old frame/vanguard planeswalkers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I want to kiss that Yavimaya Coast.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

alansmithee posted:

There's also [...] double black.

And there's the Hymn to Tourach

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If they ever do timeshifted cards again (HAH), I hope they look just like those.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If you're really trying to capture that old-bordered feel, don't forget to gently caress up the templating or have card text that is functionally different from the Oracle wording.

IE "Whenever damage is dealt to Phyrexian Obliterator by anything, the owner of the source of that damage must bury one artifact, land, creature, or enchantment for every one point of damage dealt to Phyrexian Obliterator.", possibly with like three lines of FAQ-style clarifications that don't change the rules on the card.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 21, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

"you get a special avatar of Jace cosplaying Chandra"

I'd probably pay like 15 tickets for that avatar. Instead it's just Chandra's card art. Super duper boring! It isn't even UDON doing a rendition of Chandra.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The main thing new frames have over old is that new frame gold cards are bright and shiny while old frame gold is too muted, IMO.

For everything else, Planar Chaos all the way.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Damnation is THE reprint meme at this point and a poster child for those 25+ cards.

I really want a reprint as well, but I'm expecting it to show up as a masterpiece in Amonkhet block.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

WotC wants to compete with e-sports and they don't even get the biggest money-making aspect of it: a small portion of your customer base will buy literally anything you put out at almost any price if you dress it up enough and call its rarity "secret-arcane-legendary". You keep the rest of your player base invested by giving them useful poo poo for free. It's a loving shame that MTG is owned by this company.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I want to kiss that Yavimaya Coast.

Same except Elesh Norn and Wurmcoil. I'd put that Norn in my cube over a legit Phyrexian copy.

The main thing new frames have over old is that new frame gold cards are bright and shiny while old frame gold is too muted, IMO.

For everything else, Planar Chaos all the way.

I actually love the old frame gold cards. I don't know how much of that is the fact that I grew up with Axelrod Gunnarson and Nicol Bolas though.

Also Future Sight borders for life.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ThePeavstenator posted:

WotC wants to compete with e-sports and they don't even get the biggest money-making aspect of it: a small portion of your customer base will buy literally anything you put out at almost any price if you dress it up enough and call its rarity "secret-arcane-legendary". You keep the rest of your player base invested by giving them useful poo poo for free. It's a loving shame that MTG is owned by this company.

Give the portraits an animated flame effect or glow or whatever, people would be all over that poo poo. (Or at least, enough people would be that the winners can sell them for piles of stuff and hence feel like they're winning something appreciable).

You could even make them tiered, instead of having one participation avatar for playing in a prerelease event, and then a second one for going undefeated in one, you make one participation avatar, the same avatar with a golden frame for going undefeated, and the same one again but with an appropriate animated effect for the top N players with the most undefeated trophies after the prerelease ends.

Hire me wotc (jokes, you probably can't afford me)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Also Future Sight borders for life.

It can only hold 6 symbols, though. That would axe the Ultimatums and weird designs like Khalni Hydra and Progenitus.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Jabor posted:

Give the portraits an animated flame effect or glow or whatever, people would be all over that poo poo. (Or at least, enough people would be that the winners can sell them for piles of stuff and hence feel like they're winning something appreciable).

You could even make them tiered, instead of having one participation avatar for playing in a prerelease event, and then a second one for going undefeated in one, you make one participation avatar, the same avatar with a golden frame for going undefeated, and the same one again but with an appropriate animated effect for the top N players with the most undefeated trophies after the prerelease ends.

Hire me wotc (jokes, you probably can't afford me)

The animation would either:
a) not work
b) crash the game client
c) show up on your opponent's av

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

It can only hold 6 symbols, though. That would axe the Ultimatums and weird designs like Khalni Hydra and Progenitus.

Just make it loop around.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kas posted:

I was making some proxies for my cube and thought I'd try to go a little fancy instead of just using magic set editor this time, and tried remaking the m15 frames with the old border art assets. I think it turned out really good and wanted to share the test cards here. :)

I feel like vanguard cards were the precursors to modern planeswalker cards, and wanted to do something with that too, hence the hybrid old frame/vanguard planeswalkers.

these look really cool.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

kas posted:

These are amazing. I wish every card in your cube was a proxy, look at how nice these are.

Consider it! It can be one of those quiet little projects you do a little work on from time to time and then five years later you suddenly have something magical.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kas posted:

:swoon:

These are really awesome, I'm not digging the vanguard frame thing on the walkers though. But holy poo poo I would buy these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm thinking of buying a bunch of Rain of Salt and gifting them to opponents who either bitch or who disconnect.

• Locked thread