Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

jesus 800 seems high even for me, I don't think I've ever seen 800TVL irl and have no idea what it would look like (looking at photos of this stuff is next to useless imo, it's completely different in motion). 600 I have seen and it looks amazing, that's the look I wish I could get

My 20M4E is also 800 lines and I can add that "crisp as gently caress" is a pretty accurate description, and I would add that it's also vibrant as hell.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

I tried to find views of the game on Japanese bad game wiki and they don't even have it on the list of Super Famicom games. So I guess that advertisement wasn't very effective.

A Japanese GCCX fan saw me post that so he gave me a SFC cart of it. He didn't know anything about the game so I explained that it's a "legendary western kusoge." Now he's intrigued and wants Arino to play it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Missing the entire 16-bit era means that I had never heard of Bubsy until I found this thread. I think I've seen a couple of minutes ofl gameplay on YouTube and thought it looked like not-Sonic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

A Japanese GCCX fan saw me post that so he gave me a SFC cart of it. He didn't know anything about the game so I explained that it's a "legendary western kusoge." Now he's intrigued and wants Arino to play it.

I don't know how "legendary" it is. Even searching for Bubsyの大冒険 turns up pretty much nothing.

Edit: And I totally misread your post; I thought you meant that the fan said it was "legendary kusoge" over there. You might have just started a run on Bubsy carts in Japan, zari-gani. :v:

Star Man posted:

Missing the entire 16-bit era means that I had never heard of Bubsy until I found this thread. I think I've seen a couple of minutes ofl gameplay on YouTube and thought it looked like not-Sonic.

That's essentially it. It was an attempt at a Sonic clone with more "'tude". The first game is best described as aggressively mediocre; it's playable but there's things that are just off about it. By the time you reach Bubsy 3D, though...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 21, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I remember unironically liking Bubsy when it came out. I remember playing it for a while with my best friend, and it was fun enough.

I haven't played it since then, though...

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Here's some old pictures of my PVM-20M2U which I believe is also an 800 line screen. If you open up the second one to full res, you can see the individual lines and how many lines there are per pixel; the yellow border around the character portraits is one pixel wide (You can also see how the lighter colors are bloomed out and merging together because the brightness is set too high):

I've since fixed the bloom and cleaned up the SNES's video signal, but taking good pictures of CRT screens is :effort:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think this is when I need to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNdbdSCuC4

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
when you catch it mid sweep :h:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

That's essentially it. It was an attempt at a Sonic clone with more "'tude". The first game is best described as aggressively mediocre; it's playable but there's things that are just off about it. By the time you reach Bubsy 3D, though...

My experience with Sonic was playing half of Sonic & Knuckles on my cousin's Genesis a few times in 1997 when I was 10 and thought it was trash. I probably would have felt the same about Bubsy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

I remember unironically liking Bubsy when it came out. I remember playing it for a while with my best friend, and it was fun enough.

I haven't played it since then, though...

I had this exact experience back then, we even used to argue whether the SNES or genesis version was better as if it mattered lmao

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Monitor Burn posted:

I've since fixed the bloom and cleaned up the SNES's video signal, but taking good pictures of CRT screens is :effort:

When other people with digital SLR cameras say the same, I should just learn and stop taking PVM pics with my G4 (albeit it has a good camera for a phone, but) .. but I just want to try and capture the magic.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Bubsy was fun as a kid because of all the dying animations, and dying is the one thing Bubsy can do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Instant Sunrise posted:

welp. just pulled the trigger on a Super Gameboy 2.

Now to track down a copy of DK94.

A few posts late on this but I have to ask: Is there a way to properly emulate SGB games? Some games, especially DK '94 and Kirby's Dream Land 2, just aren't the same without it.

I know a lot of GB emulators give you the palettes and borders, but that's about all they can do. Google tells me there's some way to get bsnes to do it with command line shenanigans but I've never had any success with that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

I think this is when I need to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNdbdSCuC4

What the gently caress were they thinking when they gave the girl that particular voice; it must be what cancer sounds like

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

even if you capture the scanlines perfectly I think it's impossible to capture the CRT luminance and the way it looks in motion, even the things that simulate scanlines on emulators or generators for use with LCDs or don't come close to the way it really looks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mak0rz posted:

A few posts late on this but I have to ask: Is there a way to properly emulate SGB games? Some games, especially DK '94 and Kirby's Dream Land 2, just aren't the same without it.

I know a lot of GB emulators give you the palettes and borders, but that's about all they can do. Google tells me there's some way to get bsnes to do it with command line shenanigans but I've never had any success with that.

You can with the right firmware for BizHawk.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
I had a pretty great international game hunting experience recently. I was visiting a friend in Barcelona, Spain earlier this month and she said I should check out their local online buy and sell app, Wallapop.

I did my usual searches, PVM, famicom, etc and surprisingly they had some pretty good models of PVM for low prices, at least compared to where I live, but I obviously wasn't bringing a PVM back on the plane (even though I did consider it for a 20L5).

So my next search was for MVS carts, and man did I ever score. I found a guy who had a few games up and I asked if he had any more. He sent me these:

When I saw Windjammers I knew I had to go for it. It was really hard to work out a deal because I don't speak Spanish and he didn't speak English, so we had to use Google Translate to send message back and forth through the Wallapop app. Eventually we decided it would be best if I went to his workshop just outside of Barcelona to complete the deal, which was great because he had some really awesome stuff.

We did some more back and forth in person working out a deal. I mentioned that I was interested in getting some soccer games since we were in Spain as a souvenir and he hooked me up big time. I think he was just happy to meet someone else who was into this stuff as much as he was. His co-worker in his shop was laughing the whole time making fun of his English and my Spanish. Luckily my girlfriend was able to help since she knows more Spanish than me.

I ended up getting these for what worked out to be $20 per cart.

And finally a super nerdy shot of me and my new friend Juan David. It was really great to reach out to someone who doesn't speak the same language, but through a common interest be able to meet up and become buds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

I had this exact experience back then, we even used to argue whether the SNES or genesis version was better as if it mattered lmao

Genesis version because you have a wider field of view.

Yes, I was tricked into mastering Bubsy as well. I could beat the game in my sleep but gently caress if I can get passed the first level today.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Since there was some talk of things like Pokemon Cock Version, I figured it'd be worth mentioning that a pretty major overhaul/ROM hack just got completely shut down by the big N:

https://twitter.com/Koolboyman/status/811456505727717376

:rip:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Aren't PAL GameCubes the good ones?

PAL Gamecubes are the ones that can do analog RGB out natively, but you don't need to have a PAL display to use it. Use your homebrew loader of choice, and have Swiss load your games in NTSC standard resolutions. I have Swiss auto load when I turn my Gamecube on, so I just turn the system on first, wait like ten seconds, then turn my monitor on.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

beaver_cheese posted:

I had a pretty great international game hunting experience recently. I was visiting a friend in Barcelona, Spain earlier this month and she said I should check out their local online buy and sell app, Wallapop.

I did my usual searches, PVM, famicom, etc and surprisingly they had some pretty good models of PVM for low prices, at least compared to where I live, but I obviously wasn't bringing a PVM back on the plane (even though I did consider it for a 20L5).

So my next search was for MVS carts, and man did I ever score. I found a guy who had a few games up and I asked if he had any more. He sent me these:

When I saw Windjammers I knew I had to go for it. It was really hard to work out a deal because I don't speak Spanish and he didn't speak English, so we had to use Google Translate to send message back and forth through the Wallapop app. Eventually we decided it would be best if I went to his workshop just outside of Barcelona to complete the deal, which was great because he had some really awesome stuff.

We did some more back and forth in person working out a deal. I mentioned that I was interested in getting some soccer games since we were in Spain as a souvenir and he hooked me up big time. I think he was just happy to meet someone else who was into this stuff as much as he was. His co-worker in his shop was laughing the whole time making fun of his English and my Spanish. Luckily my girlfriend was able to help since she knows more Spanish than me.

I ended up getting these for what worked out to be $20 per cart.

And finally a super nerdy shot of me and my new friend Juan David. It was really great to reach out to someone who doesn't speak the same language, but through a common interest be able to meet up and become buds.

goddamn that's awesome

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What do you guys use to inventory your collections? I'm looking for something Android friendly.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
google sheets

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
microsoft excel

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

falz posted:

google sheets

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shyduck posted:

What do you guys use to inventory your collections? I'm looking for something Android friendly.

I don't bother with an inventory. I just put all my retrogames into a giant bin and then measure it by cubic acreage.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I recorded an episode of Hardcore Gaming 101's top 47k podcast with them on Maniac Mansion, Shenmue and Illbleed. You should check it out if that sounds interesting :toot:

https://t.co/Q6qhtuMLnw

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

shyduck posted:

I use something I made. It's rough around the edges and I never work on it anymore.
https://floating-hamlet-9229.herokuapp.com
Feel free to use it, but I'm not sure it's really good enough for others. If you visit it in Android Chrome, you can tap "Add to home screen" in the menu and it will be more app-like.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Anyone have any experience or suggestions on where I can send my Game Gear to get the caps replaced and maybe a LED backlight added? I know you can buy the kits to do it yourself but I don't have the time/skill/tools for that. I see people on Ebay advertising it and Google just brings up random threads from other forums.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Kremepie posted:

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on where I can send my Game Gear to get the caps replaced and maybe a LED backlight added? I know you can buy the kits to do it yourself but I don't have the time/skill/tools for that. I see people on Ebay advertising it and Google just brings up random threads from other forums.

No guarantee if he'd be up for it, but you could try asking Monitor Burn if he'd be interested in doing it, in his SA-Mart thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673990

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mace Bacon posted:

Yeah It's a PVM I got Locally (Australia), but anything PAL I feed it doesn't have any colour (and no, "Blue Only" isn't on). Right now my PAL stuff is only a Mega Drive and a Sega SC-3000.

What model is it? I mean, it could well be NTSC only, but it seems odd that it would be.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Three games (Fire Shark, Vimana, Teki-Paki) that have been without sound in MAME forever are finally getting it in the latest update, here's a blog post that shows the kind of work that goes on behind the scenes to achieve something like this:

http://caps0ff.blogspot.com/2016/12/hd647180-19-58-102-terrific-toaplan.html

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I didn't understand a single word of that blog, but that's some really good news! Now all that's left of those is Ghox.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Looking through other posts there, this one is really awesome:

http://caps0ff.blogspot.com/2016/12/39-rom-extracted.html

He "dumps" the ROM by having a computer analyze a photo of it

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

what's also cool to think about is methods like these were being used as far back as the 80's by chinese dudes to make bootleg arcade games and stuff, cyberpunk as hell imo

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Holy gently caress what :psyduck:

Bless guys like this for preserving AC games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Byuu did this with more than a few chips that were in single titles in developing BSNES/Higan.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
A far cry from typing lines of BASIC from the back of an enthusiast magazine indeed.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

END ME SCOOB posted:

Byuu did this with more than a few chips that were in single titles in developing BSNES/Higan.

What sucks is his old posts from decaping and reversing the s-dd1 appear to be gone entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

d0s posted:

Looking through other posts there, this one is really awesome:

http://caps0ff.blogspot.com/2016/12/39-rom-extracted.html

He "dumps" the ROM by having a computer analyze a photo of it

:allears: This sort of stuff is fascinating. Excellent to see them working on preserving everything.

• Locked thread