Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
For some reason my phone is underlining everything I type as if it's spelled incorrectly. Halp!

I use Fleksy for my keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just a shot in the dark, but did you somehow switch language?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

For some reason my phone is underlining everything I type as if it's spelled incorrectly. Halp!

I use Fleksy for my keyboard

Edge does this in Windows 10 randomly and it is irritating as hell.

Does it do it for anything/everything typed? Also like said above, are you US english but selected UK english in settings or something?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
SwiftKey once started autocorrecting everything to "nonsense". Somehow it got switched to Afrikaans. Yeah, I'd check your system and keyboard language settings.

FWIW, I think "halp" is misspelled. :P

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Hmm. Language was right (US English) but it seems fixed since I turned off the Google spell checker

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

edit: wrong thread, ban me

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
thanks for info about the chargers, I was just plugging the google usb-c cable into whatever old charger I had used before, didn't know that might be a problem.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

You have to trade in a phone though, right? I live my S7 Edge and I just got it a few months ago but dang I want a Pixel.

Sorry for a late answer. I didn't have to trade in a phone and I had to ask for it in store after seeing an ad for it on Best Buy website that day. Hopefully they're still in stock

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just whatever you do, never use a 5x or 6p charger on any other USBC device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, about a month ago, this was me to one of my friends.

"Holy poo poo this phone is fast. So smooth and seamless."

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Today, he gets one... "Holy poo poo this phone is fast. So smooth and seamless."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Sounds right. The pixel really is impressive.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

bull3964 posted:

Just whatever you do, never use a 5x or 6p charger on any other USBC device.

Can you elaborate on that?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://youtu.be/DMPrM0eWPbY

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Today, he gets one... "Holy poo poo this phone is fast. So smooth and seamless."

It's so true though. It's so much better than any Android that's ever been that's crazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Can you elaborate on that?

They aren't USB-c compliant.

https://www.google.com/amp/phandroid.com/2016/08/04/usb-typec-nexus-5x-6p-chargers-unsafe/amp/

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I got my Pixel back from repair on Monday and it's so dang fast. It's great.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I didn't really notice a difference between the Pixel and my Nexus 5x for the few apps I could test out before the sales guy started blabbing about Google Assistant. I don't really play a lot of games or do anything intensive though so /shrug. The camera on the Pixel was really nice but I don't take enough pictures to upgrade for that reason alone. In general I'm pretty happy with the 5x outside of the battery life being mediocre, its pretty snappy and so far I've dodged the boot loop stuff that affected others. I will just count myself lucky and save the cash for a Pixel 2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The difference in speed has little to do with individual apps and everything to do with how consistent and smooth the whole device is.

That and chrome. Holy poo poo chrome. I think it's faster on my phone than it is on my i7 XPS 15.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So are spigen cases recommended for the Pixel? Don't need anything to withstand rage throws across the room or anything, just something to protect from scuffs, corner dings. I haven't used a case since the Nexus 4 came out and have never had any problems, but my wife likes to break pretty things.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 21, 2016

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

thebushcommander posted:

So are spigen cases recommended for the Pixel? Don't need anything to withstand rage throws across the room or anything, just something to protect from scuffs, corner dings. I haven't used a case since the Nexus 4 came out and have never had any problems, but my wife likes to break pretty things.

I got this Diztronic on (I think) this thread's recommendation. I'm happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQDNLRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JwQwybR0CG86G

There's also this article if you want to dig into some more short reviews:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/15/cold-case-files-google-pixel-case-reviews-continuously-updated/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just today I noticed a sort of buzzing sound in the ear speaker when I'm on a call. I don't remember this happening before, but then, I do t talk on the phone that much. Is this the speaker problem I saw something about in the last few days?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

thebushcommander posted:

I have been a fan of the Ultra Hybrid cases as they allow you to see the phone and protect it front and back without adding too much bulk. Also on the latest Pixel version, there is a bit of a lip on each corner on the back that keeps the back of the case from having to sit on a dirty surface which is a nice touch.

Also while the Chargers for the Nexus devices seem to output power in those test videos, as long as you use them to, I don't know, charge a phone that uses USB-C to do it, I don't really see the problem. Why the hell would you plug a charger into a port on a USB hub pretty much the wrong way, doesn't make sense to me.

While USB-C Cables were a crapshoot when they started rushing them to market, the chargers themselves really aren't to blame unless you are using them outside of their purpose.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It's so true though. It's so much better than any Android that's ever been that's crazy.

It's hard to tell people this, when Android users are so used to benchmarks and specs being the holy grail. I mean, Pixel is no specs slouch, but man this device just blows everything else out of the water.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also while the Chargers for the Nexus devices seem to output power in those test videos, as long as you use them to, I don't know, charge a phone that uses USB-C to do it, I don't really see the problem. Why the hell would you plug a charger into a port on a USB hub pretty much the wrong way, doesn't make sense to me.

While USB-C Cables were a crapshoot when they started rushing them to market, the chargers themselves really aren't to blame unless you are using them outside of their purpose.

Half of the marketing push for USB-C was 'you don't need three tries to make the correct plug -> socket connection'. From a detached, purely rational boop-beep perspective, though, why would you be plugging your cable in wrong in the first place, just plug it in the right way it's not hard????

The other half of USB-C's marketing push was that it's an Everything Connector and an Everything Charger. However, in certain cases, this particular charger does something outside of spec that it shouldn't, which could possibly result in damage. Other chargers - correctly-designed chargers - don't have this issue. It's not right that Google, who sell the incorrect chargers on their online storefront, say 'not our problem, caveat emptor, speak to the guys who make the things'.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

hooah posted:

Just today I noticed a sort of buzzing sound in the ear speaker when I'm on a call. I don't remember this happening before, but then, I do t talk on the phone that much. Is this the speaker problem I saw something about in the last few days?

Pixel?

The only speaker issues I've been hearing about are all related to the one on the bottom of the phone. It pops like CRAZY when you listen to anything loud and bass-y

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

I

If everything is operating as it should and no one makes mistakes, VBUS hot won't cause problems. The issue arises due to several factors. USB c itself is reversible. That means you could, in theory, plug a charger into a charger. That's why VBUS hot chargers with captive cables aren't as vilified.

But assume the case of a computer. Your have a USB hub connected to it, you want to attach your phone, your also happen to charge nearby.

One mistake in what cable you choose and boom, your USB c port is dead on your computer.

Even with phones it's iffy because it means your are dumping current into the device before it has a chance to negotiate. Your charger is VBUS hot at 9 volts and your device can only handle 5? You might toast it plugging in. Then you start getting into voltage sag due to the sudden introduction of load and that opens up even more issues. There's a reason why your phone starts low and then ramps up the voltage.

It's all about the edge case. You may not ever hit one and might be perfectly fine with the chargers. But the specs are in place to ensure any one failure isn't going to cause disaster.

SEPARATE from that, the 5x charger has revisions that are just poor build quality and can short out on their own.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am not saying it is good, but didn't really see it being as bad an issue as the bad cables were. Though Google still selling them with phones that are supposed to "lead the pack" wasn't a good thing for sure.

One thing that puzzles me, is I thought the 6P charger was ok, it was the 5X charger that was the bad one. Interesting.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am not saying it is good, but didn't really see it being as bad an issue as the bad cables were. Though Google still selling them with phones that are supposed to "lead the pack" wasn't a good thing for sure.

One thing that puzzles me, is I thought the 6P charger was ok, it was the 5X charger that was the bad one. Interesting.

This was my understanding too. I recall reading that 5X chargers should not be used with any other unit, but nothing similar with 6P chargers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

anakha posted:

This was my understanding too. I recall reading that 5X chargers should not be used with any other unit, but nothing similar with 6P chargers.

The 6p charger issue is different but almost worse.

It is not VBUS hot with the included cable. If you use a spec compliant cable, it is.

So, never use a different cable with it.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

:ohdear: I'm using an Aukey 2 meter cable in my stock 6P charger because the default length is so short... Hope I don't die in a fire!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Duggler posted:

Pixel?

The only speaker issues I've been hearing about are all related to the one on the bottom of the phone. It pops like CRAZY when you listen to anything loud and bass-y

poo poo, forgot to specify. Yes, it's a Pixel. I hardly use the bottom speaker, so either I've got one that's fine or I haven't noticed it. So should I take this one in to get it replaced?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I think it's insane how well researched you have to be to charge your phone

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

I think it's insane how well researched you have to be to charge your phone

That's what happens when no one builds poo poo to spec

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to lay a chunk of the current state USB-C at Apple's feet. A proportion of engineers (over 20%) that worked on the spec were Apple employees and Apple was the first to champion the standard on their computers. They basically created the USB-C ecosystem for their own products.

And then they left it wither.

The logical conclusion was to go USB-C rather than Lightning on mobile devices, yet they've stubbornly stuck to their proprietary connector. Had they gone USB-C, they could have made spec conformance part of their accessory certification. You want to be a certified apple accessory, you have to adhere to USB-C spec.

The whole USB-C ecosystem would have benefited.

There's even signs internally that they would rather be USB-C at this point. The charge case for the Airpods clearly has a USB-C cutout with lightning guts stuck inside it to the point where it doesn't even match up with the cable properly.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

There's even signs internally that they would rather be USB-C at this point. The charge case for the Airpods clearly has a USB-C cutout with lightning guts stuck inside it to the point where it doesn't even match up with the cable properly.

Wow. Can't believe that didn't get caught and fixed.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ugh. So, can I plug my Pixel into my 6P charger (with the 6P cable) or not?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a solid and firm... probably.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
All signs point to... Maybe? :shrug:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If memory serves, usb2 cables are fine, it's emarked 3+ ones that go hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Wow. Can't believe that didn't get caught and fixed.

Steve's been dead for a long time, man. It's not like the old days where if there was something a little bit off (especially aesthetically) that someone would have to answer for it and fix it. See also: Camera wobble.