Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's what I'd guess too, but why would Salt go incognito like that? It doesn't really add up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm still not totally satisfied with the direction the show has gone, but each episode since the shift has been better than the last so the finale should be really really good.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm still not totally satisfied with the direction the show has gone, but each episode since the shift has been better than the last so the finale should be really really good.

I still wish it had stayed a more personal character piece with fantastic backdrops, instead of a high-stakes sci-fi action drama, but it never really got bad, which is better than I can say about most shows.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I went back to episode 7 to look again at the laptop guy and it must be Salt, it takes place in the same flower covered island that was in this episode

Salt's just really, really bad at going incognito I guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

show is good

https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/809601104430428164

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
this is a 13 episode series right, not 12?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

this is a 13 episode series right, not 12?

Yeah, 2 more episodes to go. They'll have plenty of time to let the ending breathe!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Placentacles.

That is all.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yayaka, Cocona and Papika is my OT3.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yayaka, Cocona and Papika is my OT3.

Definitely one of the few shows to make me seriously consider that option.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Spiritus Nox posted:

If that happens, I want an extended version of the ED using the full song and featuring all three of them going on adventures. :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

If that happens, I want an extended version of the ED using the full song and featuring all three of them going on adventures. :3:

Oh my god I hadn't even considered that :kimchi:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

Flipflapshiki

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knowing what Salt's voice sounds like makes this comic 1000x funnier.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
YAMEROOO

I wonder if we'll have goodMimi coming out in the end.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"Sex makes babies?" reaction aside, are we sure Salt is her father just yet?

I kinda have to figure 'Don't gently caress the test subjects' is rule number .... four?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

"Sex makes babies?" reaction aside, are we sure Salt is her father just yet?

I kinda have to figure 'Don't gently caress the test subjects' is rule number .... four?

I'd be completely stunned if he isn't. If he were a good person he wouldn't have captive human test subjects to begin with - sleeping with one really doesn't change the ethical calculus that much. Mimi presumably had to get down with someone, she was very close to Salt, Mimi was very pissed at him for not protecting Cocona, Cocona has the exact same eyes, it makes a ton of thematic sense...I don't see them swerving on that one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This has been bugging me, if he's a researcher there how could he not know that she was pregnant

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

This has been bugging me, if he's a researcher there how could he not know that she was pregnant

It's kind of hidden a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line, but when Papikana and Mimi ran away after trying to convince Salt to come with, it apparently took the spooks a full year to recapture them. Presumably Mimi got pregnant shortly before running, then had Cocona while she and Papikana were on the run. But yeah, they could have established it better.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's kind of hidden a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line, but when Papikana and Mimi ran away after trying to convince Salt to come with, it apparently took the spooks a full year to recapture them. Presumably Mimi got pregnant shortly before running, then had Cocona while she and Papikana were on the run. But yeah, they could have established it better.

Okay that makes sense

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Okay that makes sense

Yeah. It worked better on a second watch for me - notice how when we first see baby Cocona, it's when Salt's Crazy Dad is welcoming Mimi back to the test chamber. Presumably that scene took place immediately after the three of them were recaptured and this was the first Salt had seen of any of them since they went on the run.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So there's no episode this week right?

EDIT: \/ Cool, not sure where I read it was skipping a week. It's not like Christmas is as big in Japan as the West.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 20, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

So there's no episode this week right?

Wrong, got episodes this week and next as usual.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

New Year's Eve is usually when shows get shuffled around for all the new year specials

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please watch the preview for episode 12 (or don't, if you're spolier-adverse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7tdHBJywM
:supaburn:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Please watch the preview for episode 12 (or don't, if you're spolier-adverse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7tdHBJywM
:supaburn:

That is some finale rear end poo poo going on in that preview.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
is that a boss rush

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Oh my god they were right.

ITS BOSS RUSH TIME

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

is that a boss rush

https://a.pomf.cat/yvlcbh.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
THIS WORKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED HOLY poo poo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You're good people, Colonel.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You know I think that preview pretty much confirms that outside of the Iroh tangent, all the PIs we saw might have been mostly Cocona influenced.

Maybe it's something she got from her mother.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I felt about this episode.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 22, 2016

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

MUSCLE

Incredible. Phenomenal. Anime of the Year.

But ohhh boy its still kinda weird Papika is like "I've loved you before you were even born" if its still romantic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really, really good episode.

I did think that the ending was a little abrupt, and I do wish they'd have Papika disassociate from her Papikana memories more than they are, but minor things. I mean, she fell for Cocona when she didn't have those memories and was mentally her age anyway, so whatever.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
I love how preview is just fast forward of the rough unfinished shots from the next episode (wonder if combination of that and the "Pure Audio" name of the next episode is intentional). Hopefully that's not a sign that production imploded though (credits of the last 2 episodes have already been concerning).

Also so that's going to be a thing (spoiler from the preview).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zeruel posted:

MUSCLE

Incredible. Phenomenal. Anime of the Year.

But ohhh boy its still kinda weird Papika is like "I've loved you before you were even born" if its still romantic.

I'll be honest that and the rest of this episode put me firmly into camp Yayaka

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So I think I'm noticing an anti-escapist theme going on in this episode, which is always nice to see in such an escapist media. Given how much symbolism this show throws around, it makes me think that the mother is meant to be an allegory for something, but I'm not really sure what. She seems like kind of an internal, and kind of an external force, so I don't know if she's supposed to represent a situation or a state of mind.

Is she supposed to represent a real mother in the 'still living with your mother' sense? The allure of living through safe and comfortable fantasy world cut off from the people around you? Just a general sense of indecisiveness and feeling adrift in the world?

I'm not sure any of those really fits with how her character acts. Maybe how the mother actually gets resolved will make it a little more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll be honest that and the rest of this episode put me firmly into camp Yayaka

All three of them are precious and wonderful and I hope they're all happy forever.

• Locked thread