Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Minrad posted:

somewhere, in the alternate timeline

This looks so much cooler and more practical than the Fishnet McExposedTorso reality we ended up with, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
The female armor variants are my biggest gripe about this game. I wish that they'd keep the more blatant boobplate designs relegated to side sets. :sigh:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Monster Hunter is the only series where I choose to play as the male characters, because of how much better their armor tends to look. I can't think of a single armor set where the female version looks better than the male version - or even looks good enough to justify existing at all.

They should just use the male sets for every character, regardless of sex.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Might as well repost how different the idle poses are too:

Reminds me of one annoy thing I noticed in Dark Souls. Most of the armors and animations are the same for both genders, but they tweaked the female idle animation to be more "demure" so you end up with this animation goof every time you come to a stop after running, making it painfully obvious:

http://i.imgur.com/rYyfFKx.mp4

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Flython posted:

You'll probably want to do the kill 50 bnahabra type quests alone. They're much quicker in a team but still the very definition of tedium and you're unlikely to see people actually stick around to do them.

I found it to be the opposite, actually; making a specific room called "Killing Bugs" or "Bananabros Quest" or somesuch filled up pretty fast, and I got comments like "YES" "finally drat" and "I need Monster Fluids :("

As far as boobplate et al goes... Well, on the one hand, I don't see "exposed armor is dumb because you should take more damage" as a good reason not to have it. It's all about style, because getting slammed by a monster that would easily weigh 100 tons is going to paste you whether you're wearing a thong or 4-inch rock plates. On the other hand, I definitely agree that there's too MANY skimpy armors for women, in both Generations and 4U. I feel like the earlier games were better in this regard, and I can chalk it up to two things: First, the bigger appearance of Rad Monsters from earlier games means more goofy fantasy-style armors as a percentage of the whole, and also Capcom got a bunch of complaints from (Japanese) female fans in recentish years that the armor's "weren't cute enough" and also "didn't show enough face." This is why women get so few helmets, too.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that the game also has a higher percentage of skimpy male armors than any other game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bleck posted:

Monster Hunter is the only series where I choose to play as the male characters, because of how much better their armor tends to look. I can't think of a single armor set where the female version looks better than the male version - or even looks good enough to justify existing at all.

I kinda like the big dumb girl hair on the kecha wacha set. I think other than the head piece it's the same for males/females (both have bare midriffs).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I've been farming HR Lagiacrus for plates and I have two sapphires and zero plates. :shepface:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

If by "good" you mean "good example of female armor being the better one". The male armor looks like it's covered in teeth and it gives me the willies.

The tent and bucket hat combo on the other hand is adorable and it's probably my favorite set in the series :3: yes that probably makes me a hypocrite

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that is exactly what i meant

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Your Computer posted:

If by "good" you mean "good example of female armor being the better one". The male armor looks like it's covered in teeth and it gives me the willies.

The tent and bucket hat combo on the other hand is adorable and it's probably my favorite set in the series :3: yes that probably makes me a hypocrite

I actually love the male version. It looks like 40K Power Armor while still looking like it's actually made out of animal parts.

Too bad the skills are garbage.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Neo_Crimson posted:

Too bad the skills are garbage.

As a shameless min-maxer, this is my problem with 99% of the armors in these games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dream of a world where we can pick the armor set we want to use, regardless of gender :pray:

Also I was looking at my equipment sets and found this again

"This kills the crab."

I had completely forgotten about it :allears: This is a very serious game for serious people.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i used the gammoth set more than anything else in gen and i was very powerful tyvm

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Agreed, Lady Gammoth armor is really great and was one of the first sets I completed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is a very good example of how you can make the F armour cute for women players while also not making it sexualised garbage.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gammoth male is sweet as hell. Any armor set that turns me into a walking tank is a good armor set.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BMan posted:

As a shameless min-maxer, this is my problem with 99% of the armors in these games.
On the one hand having an MMO-style wardrobe feature would be cool but on the other I do appreciate every set (outside of minmax clownsuits) has a different purpose and I know more or less exactly how my party members are gonna play based on what they're wearing. Plus the dick-swinging rep of being in full Alatreon R or whatever. I know the sheer amount of stuff Gens has was a selling point but realistically most of the armor will never ever be worn. I'd be fine with half the armours or skills of Gens if all of them were worth using for different situations.

I do hope 5 really mixes poo poo up after 4 and the 'best-of' Gens/XX. The power creep is feeling pretty real and most monsters just don't keep up anymore.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

and I know more or less exactly how my party members are gonna play based on what they're wearing.

In other words it's going to be immediately obvious that I'm in it for the fashion rather than the bonuses? :v:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Pierson posted:

On the one hand having an MMO-style wardrobe feature would be cool but on the other I do appreciate every set (outside of minmax clownsuits) has a different purpose and I know more or less exactly how my party members are gonna play based on what they're wearing. Plus the dick-swinging rep of being in full Alatreon R or whatever. I know the sheer amount of stuff Gens has was a selling point but realistically most of the armor will never ever be worn. I'd be fine with half the armours or skills of Gens if all of them were worth using for different situations.

I do hope 5 really mixes poo poo up after 4 and the 'best-of' Gens/XX. The power creep is feeling pretty real and most monsters just don't keep up anymore.

Ya, I would agree that many of the monsters require a re-design to combat the power creep.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Will XX have G-Rank? That's a decent power creep bandaid. Or just build a survivor/adrenaline set.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Will XX have G-Rank? That's a decent power creep bandaid. Or just build a survivor/adrenaline set.

It will, problem is that G-rank will mean the return of OP G-rank skills like Evade+3 and Honed Blade.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just sad that the game focuses a lot more on stats than I thought it would (think Dark Souls), so a lot of the armor is just straight up bad and gimping yourself.

Not that I'm not used to suffering for fashion in games, but with all the tiers in MonHun where everything from the monsters to their armor ranks up there's a lot of cool armor that's just Bad™ and you'd be dumb to use. :(

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hypha posted:

Ya, I would agree that many of the monsters require a re-design to combat the power creep.

I don't know about power creep, but pretty much all of the old guard monsters like Rathalos and Plesioth are super loving awful to fight because of how stiff and dated they are. We've advanced past the point where "inching forward from a dead stop" or "spinning" is considered acceptable for an attack that can knock off half your health bar with no warning, please let it go. Tells are really great, all of the new monsters use them and they're tons of fun to fight, now put the -Dromes back in the closet and come outside uncle MonHun, we care about you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Adept Style means you can wear whatever armor you want. Free evasion+ means worry less about skills and more about being fabulous.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Your Computer posted:

I'm just sad that the game focuses a lot more on stats than I thought it would (think Dark Souls), so a lot of the armor is just straight up bad and gimping yourself.

Not that I'm not used to suffering for fashion in games, but with all the tiers in MonHun where everything from the monsters to their armor ranks up there's a lot of cool armor that's just Bad™ and you'd be dumb to use. :(

No, my friend! Use whatever armor you like, and you'll do just fine. Fashion Hunting is an honorable tradition, and you will fight better if you feel cool about what you're wearing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

No, my friend! Use whatever armor you like, and you'll do just fine. Fashion Hunting is an honorable tradition, and you will fight better if you feel cool about what you're wearing.

This is true, and also I probably wouldn't be playing the game if it wasn't for the dress-up :sparkles:

And Tyler Too! posted:

Adept Style means you can wear whatever armor you want. Free evasion+ means worry less about skills and more about being fabulous.

This is also true, and Adept is hilariously fun to boot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

playing multiplayer there really isn't any need to min-max, monsters melt super fast no matter what you're wearing

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The gender thing definitely isn't unique to Japan. World of Warcraft has tons of armor sets that are even more egregious.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

BMan posted:

I enjoy shamelessly min-maxing my solo times in sub-optimal armor sets that look neat! It's the best cure for wanting to min-max in a game that doesn't actually care about it, from a design standpoint.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Min-maxing doesn't matter until you try to solo "hunt 2 Dreadking Rathalos", then it matters a lot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BMan posted:

Min-maxing doesn't matter until you try to solo "hunt 2 Dreadking Rathalos", then it matters a lot.

Deviants in general really push the envelope, since not only do you have to fight them over and over again, some Deviants are dangerous enough where leaving it to attrition greatly increases their chances to cart you.

Besides, it's not like "min-maxing" is really hard in this game. It basically just boils down to punching in whatever skills you want into Athena's rear end and making what it gives you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bleck posted:

I can think of two! The Bhanabra set looks classy as hell on ladies, and the Rhopressa set is female-only and pretty as all get out, especially if you use the rainbow pigment on it. Slap on Aerial Style and fly through the air as a rainbow butterfly princess!

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Neo_Crimson posted:

Deviants in general really push the envelope, since not only do you have to fight them over and over again, some Deviants are dangerous enough where leaving it to attrition greatly increases their chances to cart you.

Besides, it's not like "min-maxing" is really hard in this game. It basically just boils down to punching in whatever skills you want into Athena's rear end and making what it gives you.

Ya, the Deviants are easily my favourite thing that Gen introduced. The varied and different movesets were very refreshing.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

And spending ten thousand years hunting for god charms.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

VHGS posted:

And spending ten thousand years hunting for god charms.

Not really, you can absolutely get by without that +5 FastCharge OOO talisman or whatever.

Note when I mean "min-maxing" I mean "building armor sets for skills at all".

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

You will be happy to know that those absolutely are teeth on the shoulders and knees. Big ole Gammoth molars. Even happier is that the female set has them too, they're just smaller.Probably baby teeth from a Gammoth calf. There is no escape from the teeth. I hope this increases your enjoyment of the set.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 22, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sleep bombing seems like a hilarious (if perhaps cheesy) way of dealing with monsters and I want to try it out. Is it just for rich people or are bombs affordable enough that it's a valid strategy?

AttackBacon posted:

You will be happy to know that those absolutely are teeth on the shoulders and knees. Big ole Gammoth molars. Even happier is that the female set has them too, they're just smaller.Probably baby teeth from a Gammoth calf. There is no escape from the teeth. I hope this increases your enjoyment of the set.

At least they're fashionable baby Gammoth teeth :colbert:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You won't able to exclusively kill anything with *just* the bombs, but you will guarantee some breaks and a lot of shed HP. It's still the best way (imo) of getting Alatreon skypiercers. All you need is Bombardier (increased bomb damage + 100% combination success), scatterfish, and lots of gunpowder. Bombs are cheap enough to craft but you'll eat up a fair amount of materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

Sleep bombing seems like a hilarious (if perhaps cheesy) way of dealing with monsters and I want to try it out. Is it just for rich people or are bombs affordable enough that it's a valid strategy?

It's mostly a way to shorten the fights. A lot of people like to sleep bomb the Deviant Monsters just to reduce the amount of time you have to spend dealing with their more difficult/annoying patterns.

• Locked thread