Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you're worried about the implications of Kanan and Ezra being alive circa ANH, just remember that Star Wars ended when Lucas stopped making them and that these stories are all stupid fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chickenwalker posted:

If you're worried about the implications of Kanan and Ezra being alive circa ANH, just remember that Star Wars ended when Lucas stopped making them and that these stories are all stupid fanfiction.

Wizard!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Should I finish the clone wars before I watch rebels?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
How far are you into it? Some big-ish things happen near the end which will come up in Rebels. You could probably just go with the recommended viewing list which has been passed around.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Yes you should finish Clone Wars before starting Rebels. You should do while starting Rebels.

Kenobi lies about everything. Yoda lies about everything. If you think anyone can turn Darth Vader but his own kid, you're fooling yourself. That was the part they weren't lying about.

As far as who knows about a Jedi and a Padawan running around the galaxy, I'm pretty sure Vader tells his Master everything and Vader knows about them.

Ezra is Snopes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

RC Cola posted:

They stand fairly independently of each other. Knowing more of Anakin's padawan's story adds pathos. Knowing a certain other character heightens bathos.

But I feel if you've just seen the movies that were in theaters, Rebels holds without Clone Wars.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Couldn't hurt! Rebels will still be here once you're done, and as others have said, certain late-series elements from Clone Wars come into play. Plus those last couple of seasons just plain looked amazing. I miss George Lucas spending an ungodly amount of money to make his funtime hobby look good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm doing it the other way around and its honestly a little weird. Like why the hell is darth maul alive? Hell if i know.

(I'm grabbing a thirty rack and will start watching Clone Wars after I finish rebels this week.)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm doing it the other way around and its honestly a little weird. Like why the hell is darth maul alive? Hell if i know.

It's Star Wars. Who gives a gently caress? Have fun! That's the whole point.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Narcissus1916 posted:

(I'm grabbing a thirty rack and will start watching Clone Wars after I finish rebels this week.)

A space wizard witch did it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Darth Maul actually landed on his legs when he fell down the hole, then used his lightsaber to cauterize himself back together. He later runs in to a fallen Jedi by the name of Oz'kahr Piztorius, who tells him robot limbs are superior to those of flesh and blood, which he demonstrates in winning various athletic competitions. Maul follows suit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Darth Maul actually landed on his legs when he fell down the hole, then used his lightsaber to cauterize himself back together. He later runs in to a fallen Jedi by the name of Oz'kahr Piztorius, who tells him robot limbs are superior to those of flesh and blood, which he demonstrates in winning various athletic competitions. Maul follows suit.

But it's Anakin that kills his girlfriend in a fit of rage. :confused:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought Padme died of "A Broken Heart." Also known as the worst drat mistake in the entire series. Every single kickass complex, active, independent female newly added to canon is one very long way to say "We are so loving sorry for Padme, guys."

Even if Clone Wars does some seriously great work repairing her character (I've yet to see Clone Wars), its hard to know that she basically dies because the plot requires it. I think she dies because of childbirth? Or because Anakin force choked her? Or some super convoluted Palpatine scheme? Or the Force was just like "Nah, girl, go die"?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I thought Padme died of "A Broken Heart." Also known as the worst drat mistake in the entire series. Every single kickass complex, active, independent female newly added to canon is one very long way to say "We are so loving sorry for Padme, guys."

Even if Clone Wars does some seriously great work repairing her character (I've yet to see Clone Wars), its hard to know that she basically dies because the plot requires it. I think she dies because of childbirth? Or because Anakin force choked her? Or some super convoluted Palpatine scheme? Or the Force was just like "Nah, girl, go die"?

I tended to interpret it as a mix of stress, childbirth, and getting forcechoked by Anakin being too much to deal with in rapid succession. It was still a really, really stupid scene and especially a stupid line for a droid to say.

The Clone Wars is well worth watching because it makes pretty much every prequel character better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well it is actually possible to die from a broken heart, it's called Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy, it can be triggered by periods of extreme depression and stress. That said it is a very stupid way for a character to die, especially when you already had Leia talking about remembering her real mother in Jedi and had the built in pathos of Anakin being directly responsible for Padme's death thanks to his role in the Death Star.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

One bit of speculation/fanwank I've heard is that while crispy-fried Anakin is getting his no-sedatives Vaderfication surgery he is basically unconsciously reaching out to Padme with The Force and his pain, anguish, anger, etc all basically smother her while she is in childbirth.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My fan theory is that George Lucas sucks at script writing and directing, and needs good people through whom to filter ideas.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Colonial Air Force posted:

My fan theory is that George Lucas sucks at script writing and directing, and needs good people through whom to filter ideas.

This is probably the most accurate fan theory I've seen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VolticSurge posted:

This is probably the most accurate fan theory I've seen.

Well Lucas agrees, so probably. He's described script writing as bleeding on the page from what I gather, and had each script for the original trilogy sent through at least two other people to make it more humorous, punchy and human. Which is why I find it strange he wrote the prequels all on his own.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't he ask Kasdan or someone else to do script on phantom menace and they declined?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tsob posted:

Well Lucas agrees, so probably. He's described script writing as bleeding on the page from what I gather, and had each script for the original trilogy sent through at least two other people to make it more humorous, punchy and human. Which is why I find it strange he wrote the prequels all on his own.

People kept telling him how important his ex-wife was to Star Wars. He learned his lesson and wasn't going to let any Female glory hogs get in the way this time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah im sure thats it...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Was that even something people said before the prequels, when it was apparent that Lucas was actually terribly bad at writing?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was that even something people said before the prequels, when it was apparent that Lucas was actually terribly bad at writing?

Harrison Ford said his dialogue needed work "You can write that but you can't say it", all the actors commented on his poor directorial skills after Star Wars (which is why other directors were brought in), his wife had to do some massive editing afterwards.

I was going to do more but while trying to remember what was what, this well researched answer actually does a better job of tracing how he wrote Star Wars. It's the most upvoted answer.

http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/10555/how-much-of-star-wars-did-george-lucas-actually-write

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is season two split into two parts on iTunes smh

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think i read somewhere the original actors wore t-shirts that said "meat puppets" to the set one day because of the way Lucas treated actors.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burning_Monk posted:

I think i read somewhere the original actors wore t-shirts that said "meat puppets" to the set one day because of the way Lucas treated actors.

I've heard people say several times that he was a horrible director, but the worst I've ever seen direct reports of is that he's a rather removed director, and that he only gave vague directions to actors/actresses and then just filmed them doing whatever they did and either let it be or fixed it in editing using music, cuts etc. if it didn't suit him. I've not even seen actors say they didn't like it, just that it was at times hard to work with because of the lack of direction.

Personally I think that he's rather a talented visual director at the very least, and can come up with great scenes. I don't even particularly like any of the films and have only seen any of them a couple of times in 30 years, but I can picture the first few minutes of A New Hope precisely. There's several other really nice visual shots throughout the film, like Luke standing in front of the twin suns on Uncle Owens farm and the explosion of the Death Star. Several of the shots he first used in A New Hope became iconic to the franchise, like the text crawl, the shot of a ship in space transitioning to a planet and so on.

Even Ford's comment is a friendly jab at a lack of skill at writing humorous or relatable dialogue which Lucas himself acknowledges and was willing, at least in the 70s and 80s to get help with, rather than a harsh knock on his directing talent or methods.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 26, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I wanna start watching this show. Mainly through iTunes. According to Wikipedia there are a series of shorts that take place before the main show. Are those just up on youtube or are they on iTunes? Because i'm not seeing them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're buried faaaar down in the official Star Wars channel videos by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgoDwquiwRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSJRKB8x9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxyXtBuXHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy9waYcrE8k

[edit] Watching these kind shows just how much the series has improved. It looks so... "off" compared to Season 3. Especially the lighting.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 27, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So there is a quality curve to this show? It starts off rocky or whatever?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Like The Clone Wars (or most TV shows in general) the first season or so is a bit weak while the writers, staff, and actors figure things out and settle into a groove (plus the animation budget improves considerable from what I can tell). Part of it depends on if you watched The Clone Wars series (the CGI one, not the Gendy cartoon).

The significant budget cut compared to The Clone Wars (TCW) series doesn't help things visually (Disney understandably isn't pouring absurd amounts of cash into it like George Lucas was for The Clone Wars as a pet project). The storytelling is also a different style from TCW as it follows a small cast of characters closely rather than moving around the galaxy featuring various groups at different times. Most episodes are also self-contained (but do set up future events) compared to TCW's 2-5 episode mini story arcs. Honestly I have a hard time not involving TCW when talking about Rebel's pros and cons.

Its definitely a kid's show (though one with more maturity than some give it credit for IMO) and it definitely sticks close to the Original Trilogy's "campy space action adventure" feel.

But yes, the first season is a bit weak, especially the first half, but it rapidly improves and definitely finds its feet by the opening of Season 2 and takes off running so that by Season 3 (which we're currently halfway through) its going strong.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 27, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Was The Clone Wars any good? I tend to avoid stuff related to the Prequel Trilogy.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

BigRed0427 posted:

Was The Clone Wars any good? I tend to avoid stuff related to the Prequel Trilogy.

The Clone Wars was mostly amazing with a few episodes that were the opposite of amazing but not in a show ruining way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BigRed0427 posted:

They handled Anakin better than the majority of the PT movies, IMO.

The first two seasons are kinda mediocre/bad (especially the pilot movie) but it improves rapidly over the 5-6 seasons it ran for. They (and Rebels) also turn the Clone Troopers into some of my favorite characters in the entire Star Wars canon, also some of the most tragic in a quiet way.

Rebels has some carryovers from The Clone Wars (two supporting characters, minor other characters, other references) but its not required viewing for Rebels.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The clone wars is the best thing to come out of the prequels by miles. It takes a while to get up to speed and it's got some absolute shockers that should never have been aired, but it also goes to some really weird and interesting places too. It's got an anthology structure which lets it get kind of experimental.

You'll have episodes all about clone free will and sacrifice, that'll get followed up with some deeply weird stuff that leans in heavily on star wars as fantasy. Then you might check in on the badguys and follow them for a few episodes. Kaiju movie? Sure thing!

By the end the budget is absolutely barmy. You'll have enormous fleet battles as a passing detail.

Also, anakin is a... likable character?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Ahsoka is the best thing to come out of the prequels (indirectly).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its kinda funny that. Given she was such an annoying brat to start with.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ShineDog posted:

The clone wars is the best thing to come out of the prequels by miles. It takes a while to get up to speed and it's got some absolute shockers that should never have been aired, but it also goes to some really weird and interesting places too. It's got an anthology structure which lets it get kind of experimental.

You'll have episodes all about clone free will and sacrifice, that'll get followed up with some deeply weird stuff that leans in heavily on star wars as fantasy. Then you might check in on the badguys and follow them for a few episodes. Kaiju movie? Sure thing!

By the end the budget is absolutely barmy. You'll have enormous fleet battles as a passing detail.

Also, anakin is a... likable character?

Clone Wars Anakin is the best portrayal of him. You see the underlying darkness and reminders every so often of what he'll become, but he's still a better character than the actual prequels version of him.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BigRed0427 posted:

It's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's a pity he looks like a really angry duck in TCW.

• Locked thread