Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"I don't like Tubman, it sounds like a dude. I prefer Tubgirl".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
lemonparty and tubgirl aren't really SA-specific, just internet things in general

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I just flashed back on one of the first SA threads I ever read, which I don't recall anyone mentioning recently: the Dave Matthews Chicago poo poo blitz. Lemme see how well I can remember this.

Some goon was a tour guide on a ferryboat pointing out landmarks along the Chicago river to hundreds of tourists and old people. Well one day The Dave Matthews Band comes to town, and while their tour bus was crossing a bridge the driver decides to dump the busses' septic system through the metal mesh roadway and into into the river. Right as the boat is passing underneath. 800 pounds of poo poo and piss hit the boat like a napalm strike, showering onto a deck packed with gawking tourists.

Right as the news broke a goon posted his own eyewitness account. There was plenty of skepticism at first but he let slip a detail: after calming the screaming, vomiting crowd somewhat he noticed that the ships flag was drenched in sewage, and not wanting the folks to get any more upset he gingerly lowered the poo poo-soaked flag, folded it, and placed it in a plastic bag to be dealt with later.

Apparently some of the old farts saw him doing it and mistook his discomfort for reverence and told the reporters, so the next day the papers mentioned the hero of the day was a patriotic tour guide who'd gone to the rescue of the disgraced Stars and Stripes. It came dangerously close to becoming a :911: email forward.

The DMB denied everything and closed ranks, which turned out to be a stupid move and DM ended up having to apologize to Chicago and the driver went to jail for a while.

That was back when there were thousands and thousands of active forum accounts, and it seemed like any story, news, or event was guaranteed to have at least one goon peripherally involved, posting from the middle of the riot or disaster zone or w/e

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syd Midnight posted:

That was back when there were thousands and thousands of active forum accounts,

With those thousands and thousands of users, there also seemed to be thousands of threads about poo poo.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

With those thousands and thousands of users, there also seemed to be thousands of threads about poo poo.

Posting about posting's always been and always will be a thing my dude

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
there have been some great threads with goons posting from literal disaster zones. the boston bombing was a memorable one. i have a vague memory of a goon somehow posting from the top floor of a flooded apartment but can't remember the details

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

On topic of disaster zones and other places of unrest, I remember a few goons being in the thick of the Ferguson protests. This was only a couple years back but it seems goons manage to get into whatever is going on somehow.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Goons encounter all their Internet culture through the forums so they think that everything originated from SA and therefore anybody who references them is a goon. Most recently there were people saying that Justin Roiland was a goon and had plagiarized GBS because he read that "suck my dick you fuckman" court transcript as Rick and Morty and a goon in GBS had done that earlier...only it turns out that the court transcripts blew up on Reddit well before SA made a thread about them and one of the highest-rated responses was that it read like a Rick and Morty script.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It does sometimes feel like goons just claim anything tangentially related to a person who at one time spent :10bux: as having "come from something awful"

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Look! A Horse! posted:

there have been some great threads with goons posting from literal disaster zones. the boston bombing was a memorable one. i have a vague memory of a goon somehow posting from the top floor of a flooded apartment but can't remember the details

I don't remember his name but probably the most prominent poster was someone who was a resident in the area and knew the little boy who was killed and he was taking it really hard (to be expected), it was sad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crazyweasel posted:

I don't remember his name but probably the most prominent poster was someone who was a resident in the area and knew the little boy who was killed and he was taking it really hard (to be expected), it was sad.

Yeah, that was former front page Second Life Safari guy Petey. He tutored either the little boy or one of his siblings.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Look! A Horse! posted:

There were some really funny jokes and commentary as everyone was listening to the police scanner online when they were searching for the surviving bomber. I remember an exchange on the radio about whether they were going to summon the city or county SWAT once they found him in hiding in the trailered boat, and someone commented "Isn't this now a jurisdiction question between the Navy and the Coast Guard?"
That was a good one.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
It's kinda surreal to hear people mention roboshit earlier in the thread. I met him like 10 years ago through the now-defunct gaming utility xfire/xfire forums. I wasn't super in touch with him when he was going hog wild on here but I knew he was doing some pretty serious drugs (I remember he decided to chug cough syrup to take the edge off his opiate withdrawals). He told me that he and a buddy were having fun trolling, but he was literally on meth, that part was true lol
Now he's married and last I heard had quit drinking and most other drugs. Just exchanged some happy holidays texts today.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Crash Into Me

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

canyoneer posted:

There were some really funny jokes and commentary as everyone was listening to the police scanner online when they were searching for the surviving bomber. I remember an exchange on the radio about whether they were going to summon the city or county SWAT once they found him in hiding in the trailered boat, and someone commented "Isn't this now a jurisdiction question between the Navy and the Coast Guard?"
That was a good one.

Tactical bears, perimeter lobsters, Sargent Feedback and an old man being molested by a robot

Good times

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah, that was former front page Second Life Safari guy Petey. He tutored either the little boy or one of his siblings.

I want to say that one of the cousins doing the 30 years of Super Mario LP for the past several years in LP knew the family too.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It does sometimes feel like goons just claim anything tangentially related to a person who at one time spent :10bux: as having "come from something awful"

Reminds me of my dorm-mate in college who was a big wrestling nerd and kinda dumb and sheltered, where he spent a lot of time on Wrestling forums and assumed any term someone used there was a wrestling-inclusive term, and anyone using the term must be referencing the wrestling fandom. He got laughed down pretty hard once for voicing this concept over the word "clusterfuck".

To be fair, there ARE a lot of things that started on SA that kinda exploded outwards to the point where lots of people know it without knowing what SA even IS. Like, the "Deal With It" Sunglasses meme comes to mind.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nerds are by their very nature myopic. Internet nerds exponentially so. They know nothing of the world outside their own particular nerdy bubble, so anything that they know must have come from within said bubble, not somewhere else. So when they see someone else doing something they know, they assume it came from within their bubble, or that the person is also a member of the same bubble or clique.

Basically nerds are the worst, and SA nerds are too.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, there ARE a lot of things that started on SA that kinda exploded outwards to the point where lots of people know it without knowing what SA even IS. Like, the "Deal With It" Sunglasses meme comes to mind.

Even a lot of stuff that didn't necessarily originate here was helped along into popularity by SA. Like the Awesome face, that isn't from here. But at this very moment, if you open up the settings on your desktop Chrome browser and make another browser profile by clicking "add person", this will allow you to choose an Awesomeface icon for the profile :iamafag:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BrigadierSensible posted:

Nerds are by their very nature myopic. Internet nerds exponentially so. They know nothing of the world outside their own particular nerdy bubble, so anything that they know must have come from within said bubble, not somewhere else. So when they see someone else doing something they know, they assume it came from within their bubble, or that the person is also a member of the same bubble or clique.

Basically nerds are the worst, and SA nerds are too.

loving nerds

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
why didn't responsibility scallop take off

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Petey had an opportunity to goatse the New York Times (they linked to some research he did that was hosted on his personal webspace) and he didn't take it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Pick posted:

why didn't responsibility scallop take off

there are a bunch of advice animal memes, im sure at least one of them gives genuinely decent advice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I Said No posted:

there are a bunch of advice animal memes, im sure at least one of them gives genuinely decent advice

i think that would be Actual Advice Mallard

these are kind of the cream of the crop though, the vast majority are just stupid ~lifehacks~ like "rub butter on your feet to stop blisters" etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is the only good advice animal image:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I used to have a video saved of user JustinOnFire (at least I think that was his username, maybe it was JustinTime, all I remember is he had nice pearly whites) surviving a hurricane in Florida. I can't find it anymore :(

I did find a 27 minute video title "goon_justice.avi" that I don't think I've ever watched. I'm uploading it to YouTube now.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

goon justice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXflTqaSvuM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sagebrush posted:

i think that would be Actual Advice Mallard

these are kind of the cream of the crop though, the vast majority are just stupid ~lifehacks~ like "rub butter on your feet to stop blisters" etc.

:backtowork: "I really think that memes are terrible, and smilies are a better form of nihilistic expression"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Look! A Horse! posted:

Are you thinking of SA's servers which got flooded and the people trying to save it were posting updates?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, there was a goon locked upstairs during Katrina, asking how to barricade his office door and taking bad cellphone pics of looters.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I think it was on here that a goon posted their hovel bachelor space with boxes of (mostly) clean butt toys. There were questionable brown streaks on the light switches and they got doxxed and evicted.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

garbage owl posted:

I think it was on here that a goon posted their hovel bachelor space with boxes of (mostly) clean butt toys. There were questionable brown streaks on the light switches and they got doxxed and evicted.

Was this the one who rear end hosed himself so hard he was making GBS threads out chunks of intestine?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goontse

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Was this the one who rear end hosed himself so hard he was making GBS threads out chunks of intestine?

i don't think so but that was definitely infamous goon GEcafe

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Look! A Horse! posted:

i don't think so but that was definitely infamous goon GEcafe

And mr sunshine! :downsgun:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do you have the picture that dude mspainted of how you picked up a cat at his house cause I remember finding it really funny for some reason

Yes, of course

from the thread his gf made

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689314

I'm not anal about these things at all, what are you talking about

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

Yes, of course

from the thread his gf made

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689314

I'm not anal about these things at all, what are you talking about

I unapololgetically wear socks and sandals 99% of the time. :hfive: