Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/discoo_o/status/811631409181782016

in JJ's flashback he's dressed unmistakably like a South Park character

Ah, thanks, I missed that bit. Not sure why that person is getting their rear end in a twist over it.

As for the ending, I feel like I wanted more. I hope in a season 2 they do a better job of balancing skating with other stuff because episodes like this one end up feeling SUPER rushed.

I agree that one outright declaration of love would've been nice. Not absolutely necessary, but I would've appreciated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hopeford posted:

In all seriousness though, it felt like the anime was gonna end very conclusively and they rewrote it in a hurry to make a second season make sense.

This is it precisely. Viktor was going to retire, Yuri was going to retire, they were going to coach or do pair skating or something and be happy together off the ice, while the second generation was going to take the world by storm.

And I mean Viktor had his hints of being unsatisfied with how people were breaking his records left and right, but.... I didn't misread the show, right? It's about Viktor coming to terms with that, right?

And now... nope. Ditch that development, they're both going to go back to skating, and there'll be a second season.....

That does what, exactly? Viktor and Yuri don't need more development re: skating, they need domestic slice of life and poodle raising and pair skating. More Yuri on Ice should cover the second generation and all of the other characters we caught tantalizing glimpses of.

:sigh:

e: I do want to clarify that I welcome more with open arms, and this doesn't take away from the show itself, for me. It's still one of the happiest shows of the year, and I can see myself rewatching it.

It's just...hrm. A niggle, and if the show DOESN'T get a second season I will be bummed.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
echoing the disappointed feeling. It really didn't make much sense. I'm just... argh, i wasn't here for the competitive ice skating rivalries i was here for the gay romance. They really failed to deliver at the end there, leaving me wondering if it was all just a fever dream, if maybe this was just one epic queerbait.

Ugh. I hate this feeling. I've felt it way too many times before. :/

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Lupus Rufus posted:

echoing the disappointed feeling. It really didn't make much sense. I'm just... argh, i wasn't here for the competitive ice skating rivalries i was here for the gay romance. They really failed to deliver at the end there, leaving me wondering if it was all just a fever dream, if maybe this was just one epic queerbait.

Ugh. I hate this feeling. I've felt it way too many times before. :/

Same, I came back to this thread just to complain. Its nonsense.

Also .14??

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 22, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

On the one hand, I 'm disappointed that this season wasn' t self-contained. But also... Idk, I definitely wouldn't call this queerbaiting. Yeah, it sucks that a lot of stuff I wanted wasn't in this ep, but... They're still clearly in a relationship. I still thought the episode was good, just, it would've benefited more from a thirteenth episode. I'm excited for a second season where they can actually have time to get married and adopt yurio and phichit

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Adel posted:

Sorry for the possible double post but :same:, Yurio's neverending rage and anger is adorable. He skates like the ice rink is Yuuri's literal face :allears:

I loved the bit where it turned out that Yurio was originally angry at Yuri because Yuri was failing to live up to his potential.

Also, I thought that them skating pairs (ISU rules require male/female pairs), plus the bit where Yuri has moved to Russia at the end, makes any sort of love declaration unnecessary. They don't need to declare their feelings for us to know what they are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Eh, given the context of the huge trend, especially in anime, of virtually never making any sort of gay love explicit, it definitely is an actual problem.

Adelheid posted:

I'm excited for a second season where they can actually have time to get married and adopt yurio and phichit

If they weren't willing to be completely about stuff like saying "I love you" or whatever in this season, I doubt that's going to change in a potential future season. Unfortunately it seems to be a pretty universal thing in anime to hedge bets in this manner.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Maera Sior posted:

I loved the bit where it turned out that Yurio was originally angry at Yuri because Yuri was failing to live up to his potential.

Also, I thought that them skating pairs (ISU rules require male/female pairs), plus the bit where Yuri has moved to Russia at the end, makes any sort of love declaration unnecessary. They don't need to declare their feelings for us to know what they are.

Maybe not, but I've been queerbaited enough that I want full declarations wherever I can get them.

I don't think YoI is queerbaiting. They are clearly together. I just want it in big bold print.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime does that with straight ships too very often tbh, part of it's just a difference in japanese vs western writing of romance. see: "The moon is beautiful tonight," is incredibly indirect.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm pretty okay with the relationship status, but I definitely would have preferred for them to retire and have the second season be Yurio's reign/JJ's redemption.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Why did JJ make me cry? Why can't I just hate a dude

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On the other hand JJ has a fiancé while Yuri and Viktor have good luck charms. You can be indirect about it but it does feel kinda unequal.

Ultimately you don't absolutely need a kiss or an I-love-you, and had the show stuck with both of them retiring and then just showed them together anyway that would be clear enough, but instead we get this weird bit where Viktor returns to being a skater but also decides to keep up his coach/skater relationship with Yuri?

Basically it kinda ends up feeling like being coach and skater are all they have and it feels super weird and off.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Endorph posted:

anime does that with straight ships too very often tbh, part of it's just a difference in japanese vs western writing of romance. see: "The moon is beautiful tonight," is incredibly indirect.

It's indirect but the meaning behind it is very clear and established; you can't really argue, "well maybe he is literally talking about the moon" because the only reason you use a line like that in fiction would be for a romantic declaration. Because straight romances have a long history and a number of examples, writers can afford to be technically vague because they can draw on previous patterns and archetypes to establish indirect, but still accepted as romantic, proofs of a relationship or romantic feelings.

Queer romances, on the other hand, don't have that luxury. By default characters are given the benefit of the doubt that they aren't really queer unless it's very explicitly stated. There's no coded "indirect but unmistakably romantic" scenario that can be used like with straight romances because there aren't enough examples for it to exist.

So I don't think that's it's a difference of Japanese vs western writing because they both contain coded ways to portray straight romance. The actual lines or situations themselves aren't the same, but the established intention behind them in. It's very much a difference of how straight vs queer relationships are written, and how authors who would without hesitation portrait romantic displays of affection between a straight couple suddenly become gun shy when putting a queer couple in the same situation.

Edit:
tldr Burden of proof for queer romances are way higher than straight relationships, especially in sports anime where queerbaiting is ridiculously common.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 22, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol that was dumb as gently caress. at least the pairs skating was cute

Soral
May 30, 2009

i really loathed jj, but. man, the last two episodes turned my opinion around. it's hard not to root for the guy.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
For a show about ice skating YOI sure hosed up the landing

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Celery Jello posted:

For a show about ice skating YOI sure hosed up the landing

Looked under-rotated to me.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
-1 GOE, if we're being charitable.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

That was still good but boy did it gave the feeling of an episode they wrote once they realized they definitely could do a season two. A lot of that made not a lot of sense, though I enjoyed it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Soral posted:

i really loathed jj, but. man, the last two episodes turned my opinion around. it's hard not to root for the guy.

Yeah, same here. He really stole the show for me and I wouldn't mind if the next season was about him and Yurio.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Hopeford posted:

Yeah, same here. He really stole the show for me and I wouldn't mind if the next season was about him and Yurio.

Yeah, it kind of bothers me that JJ's sequences in the past two episodes were the most emotionally affecting ones for me. What an epic upset that ended up being.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Yeah I mean I found the last episode pretty cute and all, but somehow I was mostly focused on "JJ somehow got bronze? Holy poo poo. [I]I'M THE KING JJ NOBODY DEFEATS ME"

Actually speaking of that, how the hell did he manage to get bronze with his short program score being what it was?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I don't think Yurio got a complete character arc this season, at least one that culminated in a more obvious way in the last episode.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Otabek was robbed.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/811726437757566976

I enjoyed the ending but it did feel like this episode was disjointed due to last minute rewrites or something. We're getting a season 2, so I don't mind that not everything was solved and wrapped up in a neat little package. The only thing I'm salty on is why did JJ get bronze? He said it himself that the other skaters would have to flub in order for him to get on the podium and Otabek skated flawlessly.

jellycat posted:

Otabek was robbed.
Word. At least his bro did well and he was happy for Yurio

Miss Nomer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 22, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There were two things that woulda made me happy with the ending: complete sappy pandering, or keeping things tense but with a clear reason. Instead things were tense but generic, and the most interesting thing that happened was between Yurio and Yuuri instead of the relationship we were really interested in progressing.

Since episode seven there was a clear tension resulting from us wondering how conditional Viktor's love was, and how things like "if we win we'll get married!" was tearing Yuuri up but also driving him forward. They could have moved that forward, but instead we got: silver medal? which he didn't seem torn up about for some reason? it was weird.

The show is still amazing but I'm a little sore after all that. I'm just happy I have Rakugo to look forward to in a few weeks!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 22, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Yurio's arc was to accept his rage and become a prima ballerina.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I'm incredibly amused by how pretty a crier Viktor is. Of course he cries beautifully while Yuuri goes full blubbering sobs.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Next season should be Yurio!! on Ice

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

devtesla posted:

Next season should be Yurio!! on Ice

Yuri!!! On Ice = Yurio!!! Nice

And it looks like Johnny enjoyed the finale
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/811734723005452288

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Miss Nomer posted:

Holy poo poo!!!

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
The only thing in this episode that I felt had a real emotional punch was Yurio's performance (maybe JJ? but it felt somewhat like a retreading of the emotional ground from the last episode, and I'm kinda irritated that he got on the podium anyways. Why???). He was so upset at the idea of Yuuri feeling like he can retire because he won the Grand Prix that he pretty much goes gently caress YOU YOU'RE NOT LEAVING YET rear end in a top hat.

While the episode does feel... awkward, mostly because there were a bunch of signs that a lot of loose ends were going to be tied up and they weren't, I feel like the main reason that this episode didn't work as well as it might've for me was that they tried to do too much in too little time. You've got the conversation in the beginning - which I was expecting to be something along the lines of the parking garage scene from ep. 7 - and it gets ended with Yuuri just saying that they decided to decide later, rather than Victor and Yuuri really hashing out what they wanted out of each other right there. It lacked a feeling of resolution, the way the garage scene did with Yuuri asking Victor to stay by him. And Yuuri's performance! It broke the world record, was supposed to be the culmination of the entire season, and symbolic of his growth throughout said season - and I'm pretty sure they used an abbreviated version of the track. It didn't have nearly the weight as the performance in episode 7, which was a real shame. The last scene I feel really suffered from the time they had was the pair skate - while it was gorgeous, I would've preferred something that lasted a little longer. All we got was a cut to Yuuri running over to Victor and Yurio in (according to Tumblr) Russia, and the promise of a season two.

It was a very pretty episode, but nowhere near the heights of 7, which is pretty disappointing for a season finale imo. Maybe I'm being too negative. :shrug:

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 22, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

jellycat posted:

Otabek was robbed.

Yeah honestly I'm really loving pissed about that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think that's too negative, for a show that basically left all the character threads hanging for an s2 that isn't even officially confirmed. especially when we expected a single cohesive cour that definitely could've been tied up nicely.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Adel posted:

It's indirect but the meaning behind it is very clear and established; you can't really argue, "well maybe he is literally talking about the moon" because the only reason you use a line like that in fiction would be for a romantic declaration. Because straight romances have a long history and a number of examples, writers can afford to be technically vague because they can draw on previous patterns and archetypes to establish indirect, but still accepted as romantic, proofs of a relationship or romantic feelings.

Queer romances, on the other hand, don't have that luxury. By default characters are given the benefit of the doubt that they aren't really queer unless it's very explicitly stated. There's no coded "indirect but unmistakably romantic" scenario that can be used like with straight romances because there aren't enough examples for it to exist.

So I don't think that's it's a difference of Japanese vs western writing because they both contain coded ways to portray straight romance. The actual lines or situations themselves aren't the same, but the established intention behind them in. It's very much a difference of how straight vs queer relationships are written, and how authors who would without hesitation portrait romantic displays of affection between a straight couple suddenly become gun shy when putting a queer couple in the same situation.

Edit:
tldr Burden of proof for queer romances are way higher than straight relationships, especially in sports anime where queerbaiting is ridiculously common.

This seems a pretty explicit declaration? You don't exactly announce your engagement to your totally heterosexual no-homo bff.

That said, I can understand where you're coming from, especially given that this episode has a break-up and make-up--and while the break-up feels romantic, the make-up feels more sports-oriented. I'm sure that the pairs dance at the end (which was AMAZING!) is supposed to represent the culmination of Victor and Yuuri's romance, which actually works very well--the show has always used the skating routines as the expression of each character. But while the duet works thematically, it didn't have quite the emotional punch I was looking for. I wanted soppy declarations of love, dammit! Was that too much to ask for???

On a separate note, did anyone else freak out when Yuuri landed that final quad flip? I actually shrieked and punched my bed when he nailed it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

And it looks like Johnny enjoyed the finale
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/811734723005452288

It seems like one of the big deciding factors for whether one liked the finale or didn't is whether you went in expecting season 1 to be a self-contained whole or if you went in expecting there to be a season 2 that continues all the story threads. Though I can see how this finale would be sort of awkward even from that second perspective.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

It seems like one of the big deciding factors for whether one liked the finale or didn't is whether you went in expecting season 1 to be a self-contained whole or if you went in expecting there to be a season 2 that continues all the story threads. Though I can see how this finale would be sort of awkward even from that second perspective.

There's at least some cause to believe that the studio wasn't planning another season when the show first aired, so the idea that there was a season finale outline that did tie up all these loose ends, and it was rejected to make a season 2 flow better is personally obnoxious (of course, we don't know if this was the case). But I feel like even this episode would've still worked very well for me if they had more time to flesh out each of the major scenes I was talking about.

That, and if Victor and Yuuri tearfully confessed their undying love to each other like the pair of dorks they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

There's at least some cause to believe that the studio wasn't planning another season when the show first aired, so the idea that there was a season finale outline that did tie up all these loose ends, and it was rejected to make a season 2 flow better is personally obnoxious (of course, we don't know if this was the case). But I feel like even this episode would've still worked very well for me if they had more time to flesh out each of the major scenes I was talking about.

That, and if Victor and Yuuri tearfully confessed their undying love to each other like the pair of dorks they are.

That's probably why the finale is awkward even if you were expecting season 2: they felt like they had to rewrite it to leave some things open for season 2 and it wasn't as graceful as it could be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adel posted:

Edit:
the word queer should be destroyed, much like the other skaters when my boy jj rolls onto the rink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a GAY!!! relationship becomes proven when you, the viewer, decide that it's proven. death of the author b!tch

• Locked thread