Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Trustworthy posted:

Still holding out for wood paneling for my Asp starwagon

YES. Space wood paneling would be amazing. Like, it's just so hosed to see like,

Euro/American Truck Simulator understands that a lot of us want to drive trucks that are dumb as hell, mobile suns with airbrushed wizard murals and a bunch of trash in the cabin. The game that is, by necessity, more grounded in reality understands this. It's a travesty that we can't get poo poo like that in what is absolutely a game about fantastical space escapism.

I understand they wanted to monetize something, which is fine, but we should really be able to import custom decals/skins from a template, at minimum. I don't really care how much the forum dads would bitch when I turn my Python into the spaceship equivalent of a DBZ silk shirt. What's more unbelievable, that somebody who grew up in distant interstellar empire knows what Goku was, or that anybody has physically *seen* an actual animal cobra or eagle in like 500 years?

"What, an actual cobra? I don't know, I mean, I guess I'd assume it's wedge-shaped."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

deadly_pudding posted:

:nallears:

They had an opportunity to make actually cool/fun skins. I would have paid the the ability to cover my ship in christmas lights or something. The custom weapon colors are like, such a good first step, but they really need to let me pilot the space dekotora I deserve.

the :nallears: really loses its impact when you turn around and agree with me friendo :grin:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the :nallears: really loses its impact when you turn around and agree with me friendo :grin:

The :nallears: was really more for Frontier/their ongoing promotion than it was for you :shobon:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

oh :downs:

all i want for xmas is a chrome corvette

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Let me say this about that,

timn
Mar 16, 2010

all i want for xmas is a tactical white corvette with purple lasers hail Arissa hail the Emperor

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

that is also acceptable :buddy:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

all i want for xmas is a chrome corvette

You realize that by saying that you've destroyed the chances of that happening.

You just haaaaaaaaad to say it out loud, didn't you?

Propagandist posted:

Exploration.

A journey, a venture, a business. A new challenge.

I arrive in a new system, eager to put my scanners to work. And to see if another pilot has ever, even once, been to where I am. And learned the things I now know.

Sometimes, once in a blue moon (literally) I'll find a planet not yet touched by civilization. And I put my mark on it. First discovered by Propagandist. I consider this an achievement, for my part.

Most of the time:

How far out are you? By the time you get 3-4kly from Sol you should be hard pressed to find explored systems outside of black holes. Maybe pick a random direction for a few hundred light years if you are still on the well-beaten path.

timn posted:

quote:

oh

all i want for xmas is a tactical white corvette with purple lasers hail Arissa hail the Emperor

I see you have read my post history. :cabot:

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!
If they don't do a chrome Clipper, well, I won't be surprised at this point. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i'm telling you it's going to be a wireframe hauler and a chrome type 7

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The wireframes are following the old 84 ships so far, so maybe not a hauler.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

sensitivepigeon posted:

Greetings friends who are grinding fed rank. Info from reddit,

Can confirm, doing this now and there's just tons of missions. Turn down your graphics if you're having trouble landing on planets due to framedrops.

Original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5jflij/how_i_obtained_the_last_4_ranks_needed_for_the/
Have they changed it so you don't have to do ~1500 of any mission to get to Rear Admiral yet? 125 missions per hour is crazy high though. I didn't think I could get the mission board to even load 10 times per hour. I wish there was more of a merit-based system for gaining rank rather than just "find a space station where our logic has bugged out and generated too many missions and then grind it hard for 12 hours straight to win!"

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Holy poop hauling, does dirty drive turning make a difference. Even with DDT-2, my Exploraconda handles a lot better.

While poop hauling was pretty chill, I can't be arsed to skimscum over and over. I think it's time for me to do a shakeout cruise to some of these alien sites and then it's time to head to Colonia and Sag A.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

They had an opportunity to make actually cool/fun skins. I would have paid the the ability to cover my ship in christmas lights or something. The custom weapon colors are like, such a good first step, but they really need to let me pilot the space dekotora I deserve.

Excuse me but as a member of the Spaceship Commercial Aviation Standards Board (SCASB) that would not be approved for flight thank you

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?

CapnBry posted:

Have they changed it so you don't have to do ~1500 of any mission to get to Rear Admiral yet?

No. :)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have a tuned-up maximum-armored Python that moves like a really big perpetually angry Viper-III with DDT3. It's equal parts amusing and terrifying to realize that not only can I keep up with my friend's (untuned) iCourier, I can outrun her momentarily if I put my mind to it.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I decided to head back to 17 Draconis to get back over a billion before heading home and it's now giving me 100 credit bounties for killing the skimmers.
I don't know how I'll pay that 8,400 credit fine when I get back to the station.

Edit: My rep with the locals dropped from friendly to cordial and I'm wanted with an 8,400 credit bounty.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 22, 2016

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What's the best way/place to each individual component of grade 5 dirty drives?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kavros posted:

What's the best way/place to each individual component of grade 5 dirty drives?

http://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/4

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Turmoil posted:

I decided to head back to 17 Draconis to get back over a billion before heading home and it's now giving me 100 credit bounties for killing the skimmers.
I don't know how I'll pay that 8,400 credit fine when I get back to the station.

Edit: My rep with the locals dropped from friendly to cordial and I'm wanted with an 8,400 credit bounty.

I just suicide back to the station now, it saves time since you will probably get blown up by it anyways.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sold my FDL, grabbed a conda, now have a Taipan in the bay. Now I'm wondering what I should be using this thing on.

Also, I am not even a space billionaire and thus I am so far behind that it's just silly and I am one of those filthy casuals that the grogs hate so much.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 22, 2016

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Groggy nard posted:

I just suicide back to the station now, it saves time since you will probably get blown up by it anyways.

I made a successful smuggler's run back into the station. Loading up on missions to do one more run and I'm out.

I finally got an Anaconda today and am enjoying it as I get used to it. It's tearing it up at the compromised nav beacons.
Running a 7A power plant at the moment since it was cheaper and lighter than the 8A. Most everything else that counts is A rated.

The huge multi-cannon and everything else pulse-lasers tears stuff up.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Is a Federal Gunship worth it? I've got a Federal Assault Ship, and it's pretty nice, but I'd like a fighty ship that can hold fighter craft and isn't a Keelback. I got a Keelback to try out a fighter, but it's a Keelback...

I can't afford an Anaconda, unless I go back to 17 Draconis I guess. I might need to get more federal navy rank before I can get a Fed Gunship anyway.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
17 Draconis appears to be dead again. The Order aren't giving any missions.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Turmoil posted:

17 Draconis appears to be dead again. The Order aren't giving any missions.

Yeah, the war ended mid-mission for me, suddenly started getting bounties. Oh well, got a better run at it this time and am up to 350million. I can hardly complain.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Today's paint job? Chrome hauler :xd:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is the christmas day deal gonna be a balance patch that makes all these ships usable in a non masochistic way?

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

Is the christmas day deal gonna be a wireframe Type-6?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I know it's wrong to eshame, but even I have to ask who would buy cosmetics for a hauler? :confuoot:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Need a hauler yellow checkerboard skin since that's what everyone uses them for anyways.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Boogalo posted:

Need a hauler yellow checkerboard skin since that's what everyone uses them for anyways.

It's a taxi that you drive yourself, so it's really more like a zipcar :v:

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I wish this game wasn't so boring

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I left on a tour of the galaxy before the incident with Jaques Station and happened to be heading in that direction. So I checked in there, and while there I found out about the Distant Worlds thing. I wasn't able to be a part of it, but decided to go to Beagle Point on my own. I got out to the Abyss before realizing that I wasn't able to cross where I was, about directly "south" of the Point, and just recently learned about the Ronceveaux Crossing. So I got there last night, going about 10k LY out of my way to get to it. I have to get to Sublustris Beacon next, and then could hopefully reach the Point by 2017. During all of this, I've missed all of the Engineers stuff, all of the events in the bubble, and the founding of Colonia.

The moral of the story is, do your homework before blasting off to the edge of the galaxy. :sigh:

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Meatsicle posted:

I wish this game wasn't so boring

You can make your own fun, but even that can be short lived.

They have the potential to add fun things into the game, but they always seem to fall short.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bart Fargo posted:

I left on a tour of the galaxy before the incident with Jaques Station and happened to be heading in that direction. So I checked in there, and while there I found out about the Distant Worlds thing. I wasn't able to be a part of it, but decided to go to Beagle Point on my own. I got out to the Abyss before realizing that I wasn't able to cross where I was, about directly "south" of the Point, and just recently learned about the Ronceveaux Crossing. So I got there last night, going about 10k LY out of my way to get to it. I have to get to Sublustris Beacon next, and then could hopefully reach the Point by 2017. During all of this, I've missed all of the Engineers stuff, all of the events in the bubble, and the founding of Colonia.

The moral of the story is, do your homework before blasting off to the edge of the galaxy. :sigh:

When the engineers dropped, I just barely avoided your fate. I was barely 1k light years from the bubble and immediately turned back when I realized I could modify an Imperial Cutter to 32+ light years jump range. :v:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

HJE-Cobra posted:

Is a Federal Gunship worth it? I've got a Federal Assault Ship, and it's pretty nice, but I'd like a fighty ship that can hold fighter craft and isn't a Keelback. I got a Keelback to try out a fighter, but it's a Keelback...

I don't know if it's a "good" ship, but I recently tuned one up and am having a lot of fun with it in. I just use it for casual fighter hijinks; mostly blowing up criminals in resource extraction sites, etc. Sometimes I fly the gunship, sometimes I fly a fighter, depending on the situation and my mood.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Been trying to get back into Elite, and I picked up an Anaconda with a fighter bay. I have a 7A shield gen in the thing, three class A shield boosters... and the shields are made out of tissue paper. The optimal mass for the shield gen is like 1060t, I'm at about 1070t without cargo (0 cargo in combat, obviously)... and a single Python can and will chew through a full shield AND half my hull before I can kill him? What am I doing wrong here? I have no idea, it's been months since I actually sat down and tried to kill anything in the game. Seems like every single NPC ship can out-turn me, outshoot me, has better shields, better weapons, infinite chaff that lasts forever, etc. My chaff does nothing, they all seem to be perfectly accurate... it's weird. Not even my fighter can do poo poo and it has fixed weapons. Every single ship is an immortal god, and I'm frail as gently caress. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :smith:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Gonkish posted:

Been trying to get back into Elite, and I picked up an Anaconda with a fighter bay. I have a 7A shield gen in the thing, three class A shield boosters... and the shields are made out of tissue paper. The optimal mass for the shield gen is like 1060t, I'm at about 1070t without cargo (0 cargo in combat, obviously)... and a single Python can and will chew through a full shield AND half my hull before I can kill him? What am I doing wrong here? I have no idea, it's been months since I actually sat down and tried to kill anything in the game. Seems like every single NPC ship can out-turn me, outshoot me, has better shields, better weapons, infinite chaff that lasts forever, etc. My chaff does nothing, they all seem to be perfectly accurate... it's weird. Not even my fighter can do poo poo and it has fixed weapons. Every single ship is an immortal god, and I'm frail as gently caress. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :smith:

Did you get engineer mods for your shields and guns? Most NPCs past (I think) Master are engineered, so they'll hit and tank a lot better than before. If you did get modded, link your fit and there might be something that can be adjusted.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 22, 2016

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Gonkish posted:

Try putting a thermal resistance engineer mod on the shield generator and 6 boosters. 3 boosters get resistance mods and the other 3 get heavy duty. With a mix of tank 4 and 5 mods, you should be hitting the soft cap for resistances and shields will be much more tanky.

Also consider biweave shields instead of the regular for the increased regen rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?
Another Thursday, another CG! Sorry if this was already posted.

Deliver Rare Goods from Frost Dock in the Njambalba system - > Clauss Port in Santa Muerte
- Rares w/ a special reward: Chrome eagle for ALL participants.
- Frost Dock is an Industrial Outpost, no large pads available, no shipyard, 32,306 Ls from main star, 156.02 Ly from Sol
- Distance from source to destination: 224.82 Ly
- You can only pick up 24 tons of the source material at a time.

Furuhjelm III-674 has two CGs up: Trade and Bounty hunting.

http://inara.cz/galaxy-communitygoals

• Locked thread