Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm just glad someone other than me is willing to take on the mantle of worst poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Some steakhouse in Ann Arbor was running a promotion where steaks the next day would be discounted by however many points Michigan beat Rutgers by, and you can't convince me that Harbaugh ran up the score for any reason other than cheap steaks.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pakled posted:

Some steakhouse in Ann Arbor was running a promotion where steaks the next day would be discounted by however many points Michigan beat Rutgers by, and you can't convince me that Harbaugh ran up the score for any reason other than cheap steaks.
https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/786010335677263872

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Why did someone Photoshop a hat onto Jim Harbaugh's wife

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Either Jim Harbaugh brought Goebel with them and didn't let him order food, or Harbaugh demanded the big corner booth for just him and his wife

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who had the best at the bottom this year? SEC?

The SEC was bizarre this season.

Bama- LOLCENAWINS
Florida- Sucks
Auburn- Sucks
LSU- Sucks
Tennessee- Sucks
Georgia- Sucks
Texas A&M- Sucks
Arkansas- Sucks
Kentucky- Su....hey, they made a bowl! Good for them!
Vanderbilt- Su...woah, they made one too! Awesome!
South Carolina- Su...NO WAY, they also made a bowl? What is happening?
Mississippi State- LOL
Ole Miss- LOL x 10^7
Missouri- Who?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

Is he good?

Quoting because it got buried under the Jersey Chat. Is Todd Orlando good or nah?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

Your state has Flint and Detroit. Michigan and really the entire Midwest is a gigantic shithole.

Rutgers isn't over matched in the Big Ten, it's a garbage conference. The old Big East was harder. What they are is Flood wrecked the program.

I was going to make fun of you, but actually Rutgers has an equal amount of ESPN Top 300 recruits as Michigan State.

So you're right! Not overmatched

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I was going to make fun of you, but actually Rutgers has an equal amount of ESPN Top 300 recruits as Michigan State.

So you're right! Not overmatched

My dad was arguing 100% in good faith yesterday that our recruiting class shouldn't take a hit after this season because great athletes believe they can be the ones to restore a fallen program. Because life decisions are made like you're picking a team in NCAA 04.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Just you wait until Illinois returns to be the big ten champions they're destined to be once every decade

someday, the hat game will send the winner to Indianapolis because every other team in the West is simultaneously ill

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

My dad was arguing 100% in good faith yesterday that our recruiting class shouldn't take a hit after this season because great athletes believe they can be the ones to restore a fallen program. Because life decisions are made like you're picking a team in NCAA 04.

Truthfully it's not as if Dantonio has ever gotten many awesome recruits and he's still built very good teams. I doubt we can give Chris Ash that benefit of the doubt

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Truthfully it's not as if Dantonio has ever gotten many awesome recruits and he's still built very good teams. I doubt we can give Chris Ash that benefit of the doubt

There's definitely been an uptick in four star guys but yeah, the program made its name on developing anonymous guys like Bell, Dennard, Cook and Conklin.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't believe Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that Purdue lost games into the future as a result

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Rutgers saw its success with overachieving three star recruits. Given the complete loving shambles that Kyle Flood left him, I'm not surprised that Chris Ash couldn't squeeze blood from the stone.

I also think Drew Mehringer was a loving idiot, and that Vince Okruch is a plant from...Purdue, maybe? Just to make sure somebody else has the basement?

What I don't get is all the sore winner poo poo from Big Ten fans; it's not like we came into this season expecting to win anything. Looking at the schedule in August, I had us figured to beat Howard and that was it. New Mexico was a pleasant surprise. Sorry your team beat up on my team, I guess? I mean, my freshman year saw us go 1-11. Three years later we went on a streak of winning bowl games. Do I think we'll ever be Big Ten champs or some poo poo? Probably not, but I also don't see this team staying under .500 for much longer than a couple of truly painful years.

And let's not forget that no-brainer powerhouse schools have fallen on hard times, too. So can us little guys.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ReebTop posted:

Rutgers saw its success with overachieving three star recruits. Given the complete loving shambles that Kyle Flood left him, I'm not surprised that Chris Ash couldn't squeeze blood from the stone.

I also think Drew Mehringer was a loving idiot, and that Vince Okruch is a plant from...Purdue, maybe? Just to make sure somebody else has the basement?

What I don't get is all the sore winner poo poo from Big Ten fans; it's not like we came into this season expecting to win anything. Looking at the schedule in August, I had us figured to beat Howard and that was it. New Mexico was a pleasant surprise. Sorry your team beat up on my team, I guess? I mean, my freshman year saw us go 1-11. Three years later we went on a streak of winning bowl games. Do I think we'll ever be Big Ten champs or some poo poo? Probably not, but I also don't see this team staying under .500 for much longer than a couple of truly painful years.

And let's not forget that no-brainer powerhouse schools have fallen on hard times, too. So can us little guys.
Rutgers is historically awful, a bad fit in the Big Ten, and KJI is a really annoying poster.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Did you know: Rutgers scored 65% of their points for the season against Howard and New Mexico.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Detroit is at least interesting and has people interested in making it better. Also everything to the north and west of those cities is wildly different from them.

The exact same could be said for New Jersey. Only we're literally richer, healthier, and smarter.

Regnevelc posted:

Rutgers was trying to force a rivalry with Michigan this offseason.

That was the result.

No they did not. In fact, if anyone was doing anything like that it was Chris Partridge.

Kyle Flood wrecked the program and it will be a tough rebuild. None of that changes the Big Ten being horrible.

AsInHowe posted:

It included people leaving a Rutgers teddy bear on the field of a Michigan satellite camp, and an acrostic poem reading GOFUCKYOURSELF.

A dumb frat did this, meanwhile your LB coach was publicly taunting Rutgers on Twitter when they weren't even in the same stratosphere. What does 80-7 to WVU have to that? It too was the year after a dumb coach wrecked the program.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
This thread is doing a great job of making Rutgers likable. Get in at the lows.

#ScarlerNation

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Rutgers is historically awful, a bad fit in the Big Ten, and KJI is a really annoying poster.

No they're not (you know you can look up historical W-L records right), geographically yes but it's a horrible football conference that only cares about money, and a mod started it. Stop pretending the Big Ten isn't horrible and Midwestern states aren't hellholes that make Syria look appealing by comparison.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We're all very impressed by all the wins in the 70s over current ivy and pat league members

Also you're the one that started the rivals rear end nonfootball garbage, I made a joke about Rutgers getting blown out a lot and being super bad at football

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 22, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

No they're not (you know you can look up historical W-L records right), geographically yes but it's a horrible football conference that only cares about money, and a mod started it. Stop pretending the Big Ten isn't horrible and Midwestern states aren't hellholes that make Syria look appealing by comparison.

You always say this and I constantly have to point out that actually Rutgers is historically bad for a power conference team. You're Northwestern/Kentucky level at best. That's really loving bad. I'm not going to waste my time actually comparing Rutgers to other "power 5" teams again, but you're bottom 10%.

You also seem to have the stupid idea that the entire Midwest is somehow Detroit, so I'm going to continue judging all of Jersey as being Camden or wherever your shittiest place is now.

The Big 10 let in your awful team for no real reason given that cable TV is dying and they are not going to make any money in the mythical New York Cable Market by virtue of having a lovely 1-10 Rutgers team in. Great my team gets a free 78-0 win every year instead of playing an actual interesting team or having room for another non conference game. Cool. No reason at all for the rest of the conference to be mad about it.

Maryland also sucks and should not be in the Big 10 if that makes you feel better. Although at least they're good at basketball instead of also being one of the worst major conference schools in the history of the NCAA at that too.

I mean hypothetically, imagine Rutgers is good at something, and then the conference they're in adds Eastern Michigan and you have to play them every year. Does this fill you with delight? No? Now you understand.

edit: bad example given how much better EMU was than Rutgers this year, but you get the idea

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

You always say this and I constantly have to point out that actually Rutgers is historically bad for a power conference team. You're Northwestern/Kentucky level at best. That's really loving bad. I'm not going to waste my time actually comparing Rutgers to other "power 5" teams again, but you're bottom 10%.

You also seem to have the stupid idea that the entire Midwest is somehow Detroit, so I'm going to continue judging all of Jersey as being Camden or wherever your shittiest place is now.

The Big 10 let in your awful team for no real reason given that cable TV is dying and they are not going to make any money in the mythical New York Cable Market by virtue of having a lovely 1-10 Rutgers team in. Great my team gets a free 78-0 win every year instead of playing an actual interesting team or having room for another non conference game. Cool. No reason at all for the rest of the conference to be mad about it.

Maryland also sucks and should not be in the Big 10 if that makes you feel better. Although at least they're good at basketball instead of also being one of the worst major conference schools in the history of the NCAA at that too.

I mean hypothetically, imagine Rutgers is good at something, and then the conference they're in adds Eastern Michigan and you have to play them every year. Does this fill you with delight? No? Now you understand.

edit: bad example given how much better EMU was than Rutgers this year, but you get the idea

See, this just seems incredibly shortsighted to me. I mean, once upon a time Notre Dame was an untouchable powerhouse, as was Texas, etc. etc. Then they fell off. All it takes is a couple really poorly executed recruiting years and teams vanish. By the same token, schools that were never on anybody's radar do get chances to shine, and sometimes even develop into conference contenders. Weird poo poo happens. We go 2-10, and MSU goes 3-9; for them, it's "well this was a freak year and they'll get back on the horse." For us it's, "see this team is literal trash that will never win a game again."

We aren't Sparty. But we also aren't Norfolk State. The school is still not 100% behind the football program, and perhaps they shouldn't be, due to the complete mess that Flood made of his tenure. That said, it isn't like talking to a recruit for ten or fifteen minutes, or even trying to influence a professor to give a player an unfair advantage for his grades, is on remotely the same level as the scandals that hit Baylor or Penn State. And yet, I listen to the radio and hear people talking about how bad you have to feel for PSU and how their great season is some sort of cathartic Cinderella story. I don't think I have to feel bad for a school that knowingly harbored a child molester, and provided him with easy access to victims, for years.

We have won some games in the past, guys. I remember this board in 2006, when everyone was suddenly on the Rutgers bandwagon for a few weeks. I understand talking poo poo; I give a coworker grief for being a Walmart Wolverine every shift during the season. But the holier than thou outrage at being forced to play a team that isn't good this year is kind of tiresome. Like, Penn State had a bunch of bad seasons to start the 2000s, Iowa had an 18 year span way back in the dawn of time that didn't see a winning year. They seem to be doing just fine right now.

I guess what bugs me about it is that I take the following perspective on winning and losing in sports: you never paint the guy you beat as a chump, because who cares? So you beat up on a chump. Big deal. Even worse, what happens next year when that chump manages to beat you? And from the losing (Rutgers) end of things, always pull for the team that beat you to win every single other game they play. If I was to turn around and say that I want somebody to hang points on Michigan without mercy, how much worse would that make getting completely hosed by them seem? I want tOSU to smoke check everybody in their path, for UM to clean house behind them, for MSU to bounce back in a big way next year, and for PSU to...I dunno, get hit by a meteor. Some things won't change. I think people take the wrong perspective. You know what is best in life? Watching SEC teams lose, and for people to have to acknowledge that the Big Ten is, in fact, the toughest conference in football. Sorry, KJI.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Conference pride is kind of disgusting.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

That Works posted:

Conference pride is kind of disgusting.

I realize the hypocrisy in this, but that's why I enjoy it. When all the talking heads want to talk about is how Alabama could easily crush any team that has ever played football, by dint of being on top of the SEC, I just want to see them lose. And, when your team doesn't smell the postseason, well...gotta have some reason to get invested in games.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
You lost 80-7 to a 3-8 that lost to loving Temple and started Brad Lewis, a slow, white qb in Rich Rod's first year.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ReebTop posted:

I realize the hypocrisy in this, but that's why I enjoy it. When all the talking heads want to talk about is how Alabama could easily crush any team that has ever played football, by dint of being on top of the SEC, I just want to see them lose. And, when your team doesn't smell the postseason, well...gotta have some reason to get invested in games.

Have you ever watched an Alabama game? It's not because they are just in the SEC. They are really loving good and have done really well in OOC games the entire time Saban has been there.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You lost 80-7 to a 3-8 that lost to loving Temple and started Brad Lewis, a slow, white qb in Rich Rod's first year.

WVU is our kryptonite (not once in eleven seasons, Greg! Thanks!) and furthermore we won two games that season, just like this year. I mean as far as dumpster fire years go, I suppose I would take 2001 over 2016.

And Alabama is a really loving good team, yes. Being the anointed ones makes me, as a NJ guy who never liked the Yankees, want to see someone upset the prophecy. I don't like the sure thing, it's boring. That isn't great reasoning, but there you have it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Are people still trying to treat Rutgers as something other than a bottom dweller team?

edit: I haven't done the research, but I am willing to bet the worst SEC team (Vanderbilt? Mississippi State?) has a comparable record to Rutgers over the last 50 years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rutgers went to one bowl (in NEW JERSEY EVEN) in the 20th century, then took another 30 years to get a second one.

That's a sign of all time garbage team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My completely tepid take on all of this is that we talk about Rutgers too damned much around here. Laugh at them some, defend them some if you want, that's fine.

But ultimately at the moment it's a program that no one should give too much of a poo poo about unless your team was denied a Big 10 invite for them.

bearcat.jpg?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

My completely tepid take on all of this is that we talk about Rutgers too damned much around here. Laugh at them some, defend them some if you want, that's fine.

But ultimately at the moment it's a program that no one should give too much of a poo poo about unless your team was denied a Big 10 invite for them.

bearcat.jpg?

It's literally entirely because of Kim Jong Il, without him people would talk about Rutgers as much as they talk about, I dunno, Syracuse or UConn.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I haven't done the research, but I am willing to bet the worst SEC team (Vanderbilt? Mississippi State?) has a comparable record to Rutgers over the last 50 years.

Winning percentage is much better than Vandy and Kentucky and light years ahead of Indiana and Wake Forest, but their schedule before the 80s is often devoid of anyone that's not an FCS team nowadays.

For example, in 1963, they went 3-6 against Princeton, Harvard, Colgate, Lehigh, UPenn, Boston (not Boston College), Lafayette, Delaware, and Columbia. That's a pretty weak schedule even by back then standards

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

swickles posted:

Are people still trying to treat Rutgers as something other than a bottom dweller team?

edit: I haven't done the research, but I am willing to bet the worst SEC team (Vanderbilt? Mississippi State?) has a comparable record to Rutgers over the last 50 years.

We got a homer who really believes they are a good franchise going through a rough patch.

It's nice to see it honestly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sash! posted:

Rutgers went to one bowl (in NEW JERSEY EVEN) in the 20th century, then took another 30 years to get a second one.

That's a sign of all time garbage team.

That's Temple bad

Who came up with "Enemies of Rutgers Athletics?" KJI or mcmagic?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That's Temple bad

Who came up with "Enemies of Rutgers Athletics?" KJI or mcmagic?

Think that was mcmagic. I want to say in the thread about their abusive basketball coach?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tk posted:

Think that was mcmagic. I want to say in the thread about their abusive basketball coach?

Correct.

And honestly we talk about Rutgers a lot because I think it's funny to wind KJI up

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If the Big Ten wanted the New York and DC TV markets it should have added Army and Navy.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Roasted Donut posted:

Young New Jerseyians and immigrants. Holy loving god drat, it's incredible that rugers isn't pulling in top 5 classes on the reg

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan State's worst team since Reagan was president blanked the dang football team like it was the Monstars vs....well Rutgers I guess. Every day I wake up and check BigTen.org to see if Rutgers has been replaced by a better program such as Central Michigan University or Iowa State. Alas, poor yorick, Rutgers is still in the Big Ten. Despite the fact that their two most prominent football alum are a man who cold cocked his wife in an elevator and a guy whose C3 and C4 vertebrae preferred to turn themselves into dust rather than play for Rutgers anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan State's worst team since Reagan was president blanked the dang football team like it was the Monstars vs....well Rutgers I guess. Every day I wake up and check BigTen.org to see if Rutgers has been replaced by a better program such as Central Michigan University or Iowa State. Alas, poor yorick, Rutgers is still in the Big Ten. Despite the fact that their two most prominent football alum are a man who cold cocked his wife in an elevator and a guy whose C3 and C4 vertebrae preferred to turn themselves into dust rather than play for Rutgers anymore.

:same:

• Locked thread