Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0plus0
Nov 3, 2016

∅+∅
Canada is a poo poo country run by racist white people lol

All an internet connection means to these white people is a pipe for ramming poo poo down everyone's throats at light speed.

Symmetric internet??? NOBODY UPLOADS ANYTHING YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT blablabla gently caress off white people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Good thread title suggestions, the old one was getting a little stale.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah it's a tough call which one I like better.

Kazinsal posted:

Telus hasn't been tracking my data usage on my Internet 50 for four months now. The usage constantly reads 0 GB on the account page.

I am incredibly confused, but not displeased. Has this happened to anyone else? I think it happened after I turned the bridge port on on my modem...

Just checked my page and they're still happily tracking how much data I move.

slidebite posted:

That was a little rude and uncalled for.

No, not much to add to answer your question, only spot read a few pages. DSLR has a thread on it though if you want to read.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30865142-Follow-the-latest-CRTC-costing-proceeding

It took longer to go over, but this made a lot more sense than the actual document. I lose interest like 5 words in to super specific legal speak and cannot parse actual meaning from the sentence.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good thread title suggestions, the old one was getting a little stale.

I'm sad that it's been 6 years and the title is still relevant :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i had rogers 250/20 for the last year, they just called to offer unlimited gigabit + some cable package for the same price.

teksavvy is completely hosed for high-end offerings

hilariously, once per quarter some poor bell rep comes by to tell me they have fibe in my neighbourhood, and no really, this 50mbit dsl package is totally better than 250mbit cable, because reasons

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 9, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

infernal machines posted:

i had rogers 250/20 for the last year, they just called to offer unlimited gigabit + some cable package for the same price.

teksavvy is completely hosed for high-end offerings

hilariously, once per quarter some poor bell rep comes by to tell me they have fibe in my neighbourhood, and no really, this 50mbit dsl package is totally better than 250mbit cable, because reasons

Isn't that deal $99/mo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah. my 250u was $96/mo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gigabit? Today I've begun the process up upgrading from 28/1 to 60/10 for $60 with Distributel and am pretty excited to be able to use online backup services at an achingly slow rate rather than an agonizingly slow rate.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah, I mean, it's ridiculous that they offer that deal and shows how full of poo poo their wholesale rates are. Teksavvy should be able to match them with the new rates set by the CRTC but we'll see.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Canadian Internet: blablabla Symmetric White People

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

ArcaneMan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 16, 2017

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

ArcaneMan posted:

Got an email today saying my teksavvy bill is going down. One thing that's unclear is if they are stopping unlimited overnight downloads. Anyone know?

It's just poorly presented, unmetered overnight and uploads are still a thing.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I got the email as well. My TekSavvy Cable 55 plan is being upgraded to 60 and the price dropped from $69.95 to $62.95.
Not too shabby.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Mine is already the 60 plan, but it's being dropped $10 to $59.99, three dollars cheaper... :raise:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
$57.95 to $46.95 (20/10 400gb/m cable in Quebec).

Not too shabby. It's slightly better than what E-Box is offering (20/10 350gb/m $47.95)

Can't wait to see all the new packages so I can upgrade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Macys posted:

Mine is already the 60 plan, but it's being dropped $10 to $59.99, three dollars cheaper... :raise:

My plan is now a dollar cheaper.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mine (25/10 unlimited) dropped $7, from $57 to $50.

They still don't offer anything faster where I am, though. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ArcaneMan posted:

Got an email today saying my teksavvy bill is going down. One thing that's unclear is if they are stopping unlimited overnight downloads. Anyone know?

This is pretty clear imo:

quote:

(Uploads, and overnight downloads between 2 and 8 am, are unmetered.)
But yeah got the $10 drop on Pro 60, can't complain.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
I've got DSL 25 Pro (300 GB) in Victoria. Price didn't change, but now my limit is 400 GB.

A friend of mine has DSL 25 Unlimited, and I think he's now saving $5.00.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
The wholesale rates are not finalized yet. In a few months Teksavvy may have to adjust their prices again. It's quite the gamble and considering the very thin margins they have it may backfire on them.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CRTCeng/status/811678330336514048

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/rp161221/rp161221.htm

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is there a timeline on this for rollout?
What does this actually amount too?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

What does this actually amount to?

1.) As near to forever as the Cartel can make it

2.) Massive handouts to the Cartel like America did with their own telcos, that will just be pocketed.

Am I being too cynical? Maybe. But it's telling that the doubt is there.
Rogers delenda est

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I work for a telecom that offers unlimited 1000/1000 for $100 but I don't get paid enough to live in an area we service AMA

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

w00tmonger posted:

What does this actually amount too?

A five year timeline to provide access to 50/10 broadband for 90% of Canadians, up from 82% now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Duggler posted:

I work for a telecom that offers unlimited 1000/1000 for $100 but I don't get paid enough to live in an area we service AMA

If I tour the Beanfield office how will I recognize you?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Now make it a public utility.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ha, I was about to say something similar

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lobok posted:

A five year timeline to provide access to 50/10 broadband for 90% of Canadians, up from 82% now.

Is that achievable with satellite?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I support this government initiative to make camgirling the newest natural resource and someday see full employment for the populations of Dryden, Manitouwadge and Geraldton.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Is that achievable with satellite?

Probably not. xplornet just launched a sattelite a few days ago that they say is capable of 25mbps, vs the 5mbps of their older ones.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I support this government initiative to make camgirling the newest natural resource and someday see full employment for the populations of Dryden, Manitouwadge and Geraldton.

Fort Frances will still be eternally unemployed :shepface:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm the one that looks like a goon

That narrows it down more than you'd think

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Never Terrace Bay :smith:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
CTRC still dancing around regulating mandatory price points. Rurals will get 50/5 with a 50gb cap at $400 a month AND LIKE IT.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

So, $750mm (crtc) + $500mm (fed) in funding for rural broadband to go from 82% to 90% penetration.

So 8% of the population (~35mm) is 2.5mm people - so that's roughly a $488 subsidy per person/household.

That's a lot of dough.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

CTRC still dancing around regulating mandatory price points. Rurals will get 50/5 with a 50gb cap at $400 a month AND LIKE IT.

Yeah, was it me, or was there zero mention of data caps in that document?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, was it me, or was there zero mention of data caps in that document?

There was a mandate that they have to offer an unlimited option but not much else. The thing is, I've been shopping rural property and often you're in a situation where the best you can get at any price point is something terrible like 3/1 over microwave. I've had to pass on really great houses because even if I'd pay more for fast internet it just doesn't exist.

The rural ISPs can't invest much into faster infrastructure because they don't make a lot of money so they stick with tried and tested older tech at slower speeds. The optimist in me says that this fund would help those ISPs. The pessimist in me says Bell and Rogers are going to soak up all the grant money to roll out bare minimum LTE across the countryside at insane prices.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Someone please tell me there's a process or secret code word I can throw at TSI customer service to get them to expedite moving my service to my new apartment. We booked this last month and the earliest they could do was the 10th. Now, because they hire such loving dummies to stick behind service desks, their misreading of Roger's address formats (they couldn't figure out that #2, Unit 2 and Floor 2 meant the top floor of this house) means they had to reschedule it to the 12th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Moving in Feburary and I'm thinking now is as good a time as any to investigate Internet. I'm with teksaavy in Calgary at the moment 25 down cable unlimited cap for about $45 a month. Is there anything else floating around that would beat that?