Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, read that and got a chuckle. Been following the trainwreck thread over there for months (sort of my 'default' tech forum site out of habit).

I enjoy the fact that Jst0rm is fighting the fight and wasn't the one that was banned. :v: This is after months of cease fire type scenarios where mods stepped in and he graciously backs out so TechBoy can still post. What a great community.

I think I have an anandtech forum login from around 2000. I haven't followed that community much the last decade, but I can at least say they haven't gone as poo poo as arstechnica has. I'll gladly avoid finding out what has happened to hardocp, or tomshardware, and just hope they've faded away without making fools of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

Now that we moved the pipeline to our new offices things will start moving much faster. The new team is refactoring the Caterpillar and the latest mocap looks great.

How long till the interns are cutting off cow heads with sacrificial machetes, and should we be worried about it?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Today's patch still doesn't add leaderboards, or scanning, and apparently fixes yesterday's crashes (yay!).

- New! Star Marine – Whenever a player respawns, all players will experience a lag spike
- New! Being invited to a Multiplayer Match, then exiting and joining a Multiplayer game will always put you in a Battle Royale on Broken Moon
- New! Combat Visors have a chance of not showing up in some ships.

:tif:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I like that they want to open the pandora's box of what Chris Roberts has actually said.

I don't even know where to begin. The impossible networking he obviously didn't understand when he was talking about it or the impossible mining he obviously didn't understand when he was talking about it. Maybe the impossible economy he obviously didn't understand when he was talking about it. Game development started in 2011 and needed to be done by 2014 to not fail?

That he is a bad manager and does exactly what he did to kill this project on things like the Wing Commander movie and Freelancer?

Technically he didn't say anything when he was blinking like a confused chimp stuffed into a too-small turtleneck at his own game he had obviously never seen before, but I want to include that in the list too. Also when he sat around confused in the "Road to Citcon" video where people had to explain to him what was going on with the game development while he was just pissed off the whole time and didn't seem to get it.

Those last two require reading body language though and I know the autists buying space trains might have trouble with that.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 22, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The integer math causes the leaderboards to not work?

hmmm

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

ahmini posted:

You've gotta think that any competent programmer would be looking for a way out right now.
Is it possible that CIG is bouncing checks for payment and they are staying because they worry if they leave they'll never see any money but if they hold out maybe a week or two more something will happen? Maybe even holding out for bankruptcy in the hope that some form of gov't relief will apply?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

XK posted:

I think I have an anandtech forum login from around 2000. I haven't followed that community much the last decade, but I can at least say they haven't gone as poo poo as arstechnica has. I'll gladly avoid finding out what has happened to hardocp, or tomshardware, and just hope they've faded away without making fools of themselves.

I really miss the days when I would run Quake framerate tests on my 50% overclocked Voodoo 2 SLI.

Why did I have to get old? :(

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TheLightPurges posted:

I wish I had saved the clip but Assrapistdude420 registered a twitch account and visited WTFsaurus's stream. He reads pretty much every message out loud so I told him I loved the stream. He ALMOST said it lol.

I got him to say tickler in black. :agesilaus:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

I really miss the days when I would run Quake framerate tests on my 50% overclocked Voodoo 2 SLI.

Why did I have to get old? :(

Why not both a tnt riva and a voodoo 3? AT THE SAME TIME?

also, switching between cards in game, made the games inverse colors, is cool.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lime Tonics posted:

The integer math causes the leaderboards to not work?

hmmm

We've already had the Heisendoors today, so I'm saying this with a due sense of foreboding and dread:

WHAT?!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

We've already had the Heisendoors today, so I'm saying this with a due sense of foreboding and dread:

WHAT?!

Well you see, when a 32 bit integer wants to have sex with a 64 bit one, zalgo is spawned.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

listen, rear end in a top hat, you wanna snipe around here you gotta use cat pictures.

loving hell yes. Mods? Man, I didn't want to come up with a delusional cat earlier, but I did. Toss the tosser a sixer, eh?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

Not involved with those sites. So many hours in a day, etc. to read the same poo poo.

I'm actually amazed the main thread has gone on this long at that place. I have a hypothesis for this, but it would be borderline political talk which I don't like to drag into this bastion of open development discussion.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

Games on life support. They aren't even trying to hire the fired crytek people.

Funds be low.

Or maybe the Crytek people know better.....

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

Why not both a tnt riva and a voodoo 3? AT THE SAME TIME?

also, switching between cards in game, made the games inverse colors, is cool.

I had the original TNT, plus the Voodoo 2 SLI. I had the special ordered Voodoo 2 daughter card without the monitor connections. It overclocked so well that people never believed me when I posted about my 50% overclock. I think they were 300 mhz factory, but they did 450+ without a hitch. I never did get into Voodoo 3, they were too short lived. Having an Aureal 3D card, plus the overclocked SLI Voodoo 2, was absolutely amazing, for the few months before both companies and technologies became irrelevant. Those were truly the best moments of my computer gaming life. RIP late 1998 PC gaming.

Now, I just go for energy efficiency and silence. I even undervolt my fans. I run Linux, too. Life is hollow.

I did have my CPU core temperature at 14c the other morning when I woke up. Yay.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Well you see, when a 32 bit integer wants to have sex with a 64 bit one, zalgo is spawned.

WHY IN THE FARGEN HARGEN BLARGEN ARRGHEN SODDING NUTBALLS WOULD YOU NEED QWORDS FOR SCORING!!!

No. The lack of a question mark is not an error.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MeLKoR posted:

(not reposting that picture)

Hey that's a little too far, man, those are real people

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

How long till the interns are cutting off cow heads with sacrificial machetes, and should we be worried about it?

C'mon, you know who'll be in charge of that.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Foo Diddley posted:

Hey that's a little too far, man, those are real people

It's OK, I didn't include their home address.

e: you are aware that's a scene from Apocalypse Now, right? I can't even tell what's real anymore! :negative:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Pouring out a drink for 1990's Diamond Multimedia hardware. All the old school pc gamers will understand.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

Pouring out a drink for 1990's Diamond Multimedia hardware. All the old school pc gamers will understand.

PowerVR Matrox Mystique baby.

Edit: Would like to add it was easier to fire up a game back in the old days compared to SC.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MeLKoR posted:

It's OK, I didn't include their home address.

e: you are aware that's a scene from Apocalypse Now, right? I can't even tell what's real anymore! :negative:

Yeah about the same second I posted that I realized you might be posting something from fiction

But Apoxaclypse Now is real enough that I stand by my statement :colbert:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Things that have literally happened in this thread:
Doxxing someone.
Baseless accusations of pedophilia.
Suggestion of comitting suicide.
Antisemitic imagery and jokes.

And everyones "lol i doxxed her by creepily reading every google result that comes from googling her name xD" trying to act above it all.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

PowerVR Matrox Mystique baby.

You're giving me flashbacks of 20 year old issues of PC Gamer.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ArfJason posted:

Things that have literally happened in this thread:
Doxxing someone.
Baseless accusations of pedophilia.
Suggestion of comitting suicide.
Antisemitic imagery and jokes.

And everyones "lol i doxxed her by creepily reading every google result that comes from googling her name xD" trying to act above it all.

Yeah eat poo poo motherfucker

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah about the same second I posted that I realized you might be posting something from fiction

But Apoxaclypse Now is real enough that I stand by my statement :colbert:

How did you miss

Lime Tonics posted:

When crobbers goes all colonel kurtz on everyone, that is going to be the best.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MeLKoR posted:

How did you miss

I blame the drink and also the fact that the light of the two trees is no longer with us

Melkor

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

C'mon, you know who'll be in charge of that.

gently caress, I finally got one of these

:golfclap:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Foo Diddley posted:

I blame the drink and also the fact that the light of the two trees is no longer with us

Melkor

Holy poo poo dude did you really just trawl the internet looking for dirt on me and post information that allows anyone to identify my IRL place of residence?

WTF?! Mods!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Baseless accusations of pedophilia?
What's the latest update on the guy's court proceedings again?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Which one?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
#######.## <<== 64-bit integer
_____^
_____|
Fixed point position

it really isn't hard

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If you keep your raw score as a float, and format it to 2 decimals in the leaderboard, all you need is to multiply the score by 100.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

#######.## <<== 64-bit integer
_____^
_____|
Fixed point position

it really isn't hard

Agreed, they just have to lay the code.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Which one?

Fuzzy.

Lime Tonics posted:

If you keep your raw score as a float, and format it to 2 decimals in the leaderboard, all you need is to multiply the score by 100.

Point of order: WHY THE FARGEN [etc] WOULD YOU EVEN STORE SCORE AS A FLOAT?!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MeLKoR posted:

Holy poo poo dude did you really just trawl the internet looking for dirt on me and post information that allows anyone to identify my IRL place of residence?

WTF?! Mods!

You think you keep notes? I got:
  • Black foe of the world
  • Hangs out with giant spiders?
  • Hide yo' silmarils
  • Hide yo' trees

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tippis posted:

ArfJason would have you know that he is merely an ACCUSED pedophile, never mind the fact that he couldn't get bail or is a hardcore Trekkie. #FYADStandsWithFuzzyModem

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer Afro-Valinorian. It's true about the spiders, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Massive Self-Owns 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5jjxcg/derek_smart_on_twitter_i_heard_that/dbhse3x/

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 22, 2016