Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ssmagus posted:

You only need a point in the first skill in a line, then you just need enough mastery to take the later ones.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Need a name and permission to move 2 points into Nidalla's Hidden Hand / Justifiable Ends so I can actually get the subsequent skills I'm suppose to.

I was thinking: "Vanessa Chambord," scorned ex-wife of John Bourbon. She has a chip on her shoulder and two daggers called fire and hate.
Love it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Trozan's over Primal Strike (either mode): Yea or nay?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

The White Dragon posted:

Trozan's: Yea or nay?

It's good enough as a primary attack skill, but don't try to use it as a nuke or in a supplementary role or you'll be disappointed. Also try to stack cooldown reduction.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ok, good to know. Any good nukes in a Shaman/Arcanist's arsenal, then?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I saw a PRM build that seemed pretty decent on the official forums, dunno how good it is but it wears the invoker's set with trozan's to throw tons & tons of missiles.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The White Dragon posted:

Ok, good to know. Any good nukes in a Shaman/Arcanist's arsenal, then?

There's plenty of good builds for completing the game on ultimate, but I feel like there's not currently a single caster build that is fully competitive with default attack builds, whether that's Witchblades, Ultos builds, BMs or whatever.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

1.0.0.7 patch notes are out and Witchblades got loving murdered.

First expansion class is also announced, and the Inquisitor looks to be abject garbage and a poor mans demolitionist.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Patch notes here

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48845

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Mash posted:

First expansion class is also announced, and the Inquisitor looks to be abject garbage and a poor mans demolitionist.

It looks like they got a bunch of fairly light nerfs that will keep them in line with other classes rather than a physical damage witchblade being objectively the best build that is both invincible and capable of serious damage output.

We have a tiny little bit of information about the Inquisitor and only the most negative reading suggests abject garbage. It does look somewhere in between a demolitionist and an arcanist, but with vague descriptions of a few skills, how can we possibly know how it will play?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Because the only thing worse than spell-based builds in TQ and GD is hybrid builds and the Inquisitor seems appropriate for both. I mean sure, they could wildly unbalance the numbers on things to make it strong, but the description of the core mechanics of the class point to all the things that are notoriously weak in TQ and GD.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Mash posted:

It looks like they got a bunch of fairly light nerfs that will keep them in line with other classes rather than a physical damage witchblade being objectively the best build that is both invincible and capable of serious damage output.

We have a tiny little bit of information about the Inquisitor and only the most negative reading suggests abject garbage. It does look somewhere in between a demolitionist and an arcanist, but with vague descriptions of a few skills, how can we possibly know how it will play?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To add to this specifically, the Curse of Frailty nerf is a big hit and there are so many other nerfs (Markovian, Warborn, Break Morale, Black Matriarch) that the combined effect will be a big hit. Not disagreeing that the build was objectively the best in 1.0.0.6 though, it was.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The Mash posted:

To add to this specifically, the Curse of Frailty nerf is a big hit and there are so many other nerfs (Markovian, Warborn, Break Morale, Black Matriarch) that the combined effect will be a big hit. Not disagreeing that the build was objectively the best in 1.0.0.6 though, it was.

I'm not convinced the sky is falling, but I use the lazy summoner build and am wondering how the CoF nerd is going to affect that. It's my bread and butter outside of pets.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
.7 is nerfing literally every character I have and like to play, but bringing new content. Guess I ought to get going on that PRM druid I was considering. :(

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pierce-damage Blademasters are nearly untouched in 1.0.0.7 and, as I see it, with BiS gear still the strongest characters in the game

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/96097554015736642/ED957906586E0216A54A78152C02E9E1BF7C2839/

Look at that thing. Look at that thing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

quote:

Explosive Strike: now also works with melee weapons,

:woop:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't get why all the max level weapons are level 75 when the max level is 85.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
because the expansion will get you to level 90 and add gear for that level I guess?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

The Mash posted:

Pierce-damage Blademasters are nearly untouched in 1.0.0.7 and, as I see it, with BiS gear still the strongest characters in the game

Got a link to any such good builds? I have a Blademaster that I've been winging and I don't think it's working very well.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Overwined posted:

Got a link to any such good builds? I have a Blademaster that I've been winging and I don't think it's working very well.

Basic setup with bad gear:
http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-0vnhWx

Basic setup with very good gear (Peerless Eye required):
http://grimcalc.com/build/1006-RscFLn

Devotions are Oleron + Unknown Soldier + Hawk + Blades of Nadaan and whatever it takes to get you there.

Physique: 970 with Polished Emeralds in rings, Military Conditioning at 11/10 and devotions.
Spirit: 330 with Polished Emeralds in rings and devotions.
Cunning: Rest

Basic gear that is very farmable/craftable:
2x Dermapteran Slicers. These are core for any pierce BM since they are the only weapons in the game that get you to 100% pierce (with Blades of Nadaan). Superior/Puncturing DS of Alacrity is a good start, for better rolls, see my post a page or two back.
2x Gollus/Cronley MI rings with Cuttthroat's prefix and ideally of Shadows/of Vitality suffix. Bad rings of these kinds can be upgraded to Belgothian's ring. Good rings of these kinds are better than Belgothian's.
Black Legion hat with 900+ flat hp and 30+ Chaos resist
Homestead boots with 4 resist types
Pierce damage chest from Devil's Crossing or any of Warborn/Markovian/Divinesteel Hauberk
Belt: Either the Soldier +1 belt or the better of the two Nightblade +1 belts. Alternatively, there's a blue level 58 belt that's alright too.
Amulet: Whatever. Some green Cutthroat's. Avatar of Mercy is a good defensive option. Empowered Essence of Beronath is solid now too, and more offensive. Peerless Eye is BiS by ten miles.
Gloves: Olerons or Handguards of Justice.
Relic: Belgothian's Carnage or any +1 NB until then.
Medal: Mark of Divinity
Shoulders: Those blue crafted ones with cunning, physique, HP and elemental resist until you can get good Nemesis shoulders
Pants: Farm the Hidden Path sub-boss in Broken Hills until you get MI pants Of Vitality, ideally with a resist prefix.

Left-click skill at different levels of gear:
Bad gear: Mistborn Talisman relic
Decent gear: Shard of Beronath weapon component
Great gear with many +skills: Cadence

Don't take Cadence until you have Peerless Eye and a +1 relic and belt as well as both slicers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

enraged_camel posted:

I don't get why all the max level weapons are level 75 when the max level is 85.
Because some people stop really enjoying their characters once they hit the level cap and so having everything be lv75 max means 10 levels of enjoying your gear.

Edit: If anyone gets a Decree of Aldritch I will totally trade for it.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Port Valbury is uninteresting, uninspired and unenjoyable :(

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

The developer is apparently on vacation until Jan 9th, so I guess no expansion until at least late February. :(

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Haven't played it yet, but couldn't you say the same thing about SoT and BoC? How exciting can you make a rogue dungeon?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
The problem with it is that you can't do it any fast, as the map is clogged tight corridors, and all the open places are filled with high damage aether floors. Also makes you run around in a giant loop.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ssmagus posted:

filled with high damage aether floors

This is my least favorite mechanic in Grim Dawn by a considerable margin.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

docbeard posted:

It's such garbage

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ssmagus posted:

The problem with it is that you can't do it any fast, as the map is clogged tight corridors, and all the open places are filled with high damage aether floors. Also makes you run around in a giant loop.

Okay, that does sound pretty bad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

docbeard posted:

It's nice to hear that, because as someone casually rolling through single player they were a serious what the gently caress moment

Is there anyway to mitigate them? Re-doing it on normal with more than no Aether resist and tons of health results in them... Still being surprisingly harsh?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

It's nice to hear that, because as someone casually rolling through single player they were a serious what the gently caress moment

Is there anyway to mitigate them? Re-doing it on normal with more than no Aether resist and tons of health results in them... Still being surprisingly harsh?

Resists don't work on them and the damage is dealt as a percent of your current health, so nope!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
"difficulty" means sapping your health so you chug more potions over actual mechanics that would be fun.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

People on the official forums are loving the new floor-is-lava-gently caress-your-character zone, for some reason. I think they all play garbage ranged builds on normal difficulty or something.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

seravid posted:

Haven't played it yet, but couldn't you say the same thing about SoT and BoC? How exciting can you make a rogue dungeon?

I love SoT and have done it a billion times. There's lots of interesting nooks and crannies and the overall feel of the place is great, even if it is a total rehash of Steps 1-3 and Undercity. BoC is honestly quite boring.

I think my biggest problem with Port Valbury is that it is artificially hard because of the reflecting crystals, the unavoidable damage floors and now also the floating, untargetable cloud versions of the aether floor that all combine to make it a miserable experience, that is somehow almost harder than Gladiator Crucible without offering one tenth of the rewards.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

The only thing I've found that helps at all is stuff like that Arcanist skill that temporarily blocks all damage. (Things like Shadow Strike or other charging skills also can help if you can find an enemy in a safe place that will let you run out of the death zone.) Otherwise you basically just have to chug healing potions/use healing skills and hope you can find a safe place to stand before you die. Which in a roguelike dungeon sounds like fuuuuuuuuuuun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
There is a mod that removes all the damage from the aether floors and I am seriously considering it just for Port. gently caress that mechanic right in the rear end; who decided that the aether ground effect shouldn't be aether damage? It's a pretty worthless resist outside of a bare handful of areas as it is, loving hell.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I feel like it would be - almost - an interesting mechanic if it were a matter of making gear sacrifices for Aether resistances. As is though Bleh. I haven't even been in the dungeon proper. I fought my way to the gates and said screw it. That area is dumb.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Minor correction on my last post: damage absorption works on damage floors. So if you have Maiven's Sphere, Primal Bond, Possession, or Mirror of Ereoctes, those will help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have done a full clear of the port on my CT Sorcerer, and the aether floors are less lovely than I expected, once you get out of the entry "room". The map itself is kind of a pain in the rear end, since there are parts that have a sort of "layered" design but the map is rather poo poo at designating what is on top of what. There's also a few places where I ended up going "well where the gently caress do I go to get over there?" because a good bit of the map is divided by a 1px black border. Bosses are rather all over the place, to the point where if you aren't doing a full clear you'll likely never see them. The final boss is weird; I get the feeling there was a strategy I was supposed to be using, something that wasn't "circle around the main guy while beating on his face until dead" but that is exactly what I did and survived (although I did pop a couple of each potion and mirror twice). Got both green MI belts, was less than impressed.

Overall, I give the dungeon a C- see me after class.