Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I looked at that guy's followers and this guy is definitely my favorite https://twitter.com/Congenial_Virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I looked at that guy's followers and this guy is definitely my favorite https://twitter.com/Congenial_Virus

https://twitter.com/HopeStillFlies/status/811318340123762688

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My waifu has every right to vote for Trump as I do :qq:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/811222407084183552

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I want to see bomberguy do a RockingMrE but nothing will ever top Female Breathing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbUA49BMSbw

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/business/status/811246605013839873
https://twitter.com/puellavulnerata/status/811341322116366336

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's said that the peoples of ancient San Francisco believed one could live forever by having one's corpse ritually mutilated via freezing, or that one could capture a soul by taking a photo of the brain.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yes Nyd, right-wing is clearly defined as "thing I agree with" and doesn't have any sort of outside definition otherwise

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I think it's unfair to call the desire for a greatly extended lifespan "creepy" in itself (and I think the arguments that it is are generally motivated by sour grapes), but people definitely go in pseudoscientific directions with it, and sometimes it also reveals alarming deficiencies in people's moral sense. A mild example of the latter is the way Yudkowsky's Pascal's wager argument for cryonics doesn't factor in the difference between the cryonicist getting the money and your spouse or children getting it. The extreme form has occurred in this very thread, when Count Duckula admitted he wouldn't hesitate to let a lot of other people die in order to extend his own life.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I think it's unfair to call the desire for a greatly extended lifespan "creepy" in itself

Extending life in terms of actual medical research is fine and nobody I know is against that. What's creepy is when it stops being "fund research in trying to fight cancer cuz cancer kills so many people and average lifespan would probably jump 10 years if we cured it" and becomes "I am so terrified of death that I refuse to acknowledge it is a part of life and can't accept that it must happen"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

ate all the Oreos posted:

Extending life in terms of actual medical research is fine and nobody I know is against that. What's creepy is when it stops being "fund research in trying to fight cancer cuz cancer kills so many people and average lifespan would probably jump 10 years if we cured it" and becomes "I am so terrified of death that I refuse to acknowledge it is a part of life and can't accept that it must happen"

It would be pretty neat if we could outfox death! I mean, we can't, but it would be nice if SOMEONE could.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It would be pretty neat if we could outfox death! I mean, we can't, but it would be nice if SOMEONE could.

I don't think it would be nice if Noted Shithead Peter Thiel gets to live forever, no. Given infinite time I'm sure he could eventually become neo-hitler or something.

Actually given infinite time I wonder what the probability of any given person becoming neo-hitler is. Post-death society will have some weird culture.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Then again I would like to see Peter Thiel in that star trek episode where they go to the Q continuum and nobody's ever talking or doing anything because literally everything ever has been done or said already and they're all just in quiet infinite hell.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So like in a post-death society what do they do with prisoners sentenced to life without parole, or Supreme Court justices? Does Europe bring back executions before the entire continent is covered in supermax prisons given a long enough time-scale? Do judges just get a 50 or 100 year term instead then?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver2195 posted:

A mild example of the latter is the way Yudkowsky's Pascal's wager argument for cryonics

Remember that Eli's brother was murdered; there's a substantial underlying reason for his extreme attitude towards death.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ate all the Oreos posted:

Actually given infinite time I wonder what the probability of any given person becoming neo-hitler is. Post-death society will have some weird culture.

HOAs show what most people would be like if they had infinite time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

to me the issue isn't so much life extension or cheating death- I agree that it would be quite a feat and could do a lot to reduce fear and suffering among humanity-

the issue is the pervasive belief that it ought to only go to those who 'deserve' it, i.e., are wealthy. If you thought the ruling class were parasitic vampires, wait until they're literally immortal.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Those assholes can keep their immortality if you ask me, any world in which they're ascendant for all time is one I'm happy to leave.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tomviolence could you tell us about your Wallace and Gromit slash fiction?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I could, but you'd need to have conquered death to have time for the epic synopsis to unfold.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gently caress that is a powerful 80k words. I will have to go steal Thiel's immortality potion then. For real though what made some get you that red text?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Seems to be a UKMT thing, folk getting random non sequitur red texts about their taste in wallpaper and their bad spaghetti recipes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TomViolence posted:

Seems to be a UKMT thing, folk getting random non sequitur red texts about their taste in wallpaper and their bad spaghetti recipes.

Also bad opinions about waterworld

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Silver2195 posted:

I think it's unfair to call the desire for a greatly extended lifespan "creepy" in itself (and I think the arguments that it is are generally motivated by sour grapes), but people definitely go in pseudoscientific directions with it, and sometimes it also reveals alarming deficiencies in people's moral sense. A mild example of the latter is the way Yudkowsky's Pascal's wager argument for cryonics doesn't factor in the difference between the cryonicist getting the money and your spouse or children getting it. The extreme form has occurred in this very thread, when Count Duckula admitted he wouldn't hesitate to let a lot of other people die in order to extend his own life.

That's just basic honesty though. It's not like the people who want to live forever want everyone to live forever. The reason it's creepy is that the powerful are nakedly lusting after more power. Generally we prefer our sociopaths to cloak themselves. Seriously, the answer to the question "How many people would you kill for an extra year of life?" is always non-zero with people who want to live forever. They've got tons of justifications, but what it always boils down to is my life is more valuable than a random person.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Relevant Tangent posted:

That's just basic honesty though. It's not like the people who want to live forever want everyone to live forever. The reason it's creepy is that the powerful are nakedly lusting after more power. Generally we prefer our sociopaths to cloak themselves. Seriously, the answer to the question "How many people would you kill for an extra year of life?" is always non-zero with people who want to live forever. They've got tons of justifications, but what it always boils down to is my life is more valuable than a random person.

Chocula is actually a gigantic weirdo with a pathological fear of death tho

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I know, he's just honest about it. If you think Thiel and Yud wouldn't go full Bathory if it led to immortality then you're giving them way more credit than they deserve.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Reminder: Theil is literally funding research about harvesting blood from the young to prolong his own life.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
1: Literally everyone except a few anarcho-primitivsts and other assorted weirdos thinks better medical technology leading to fewer deaths and longer lifespans is a good thing

2: Sillicon Valley daydreams about freezing your brain or taking enough photographs of it that your mind is preserved have never once contributed to the technology that was mentioned in 1.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yudkowsky definitely wants death to be eliminated for everyone, but figures it's nigh-inevitable, and that all he can do to help is tell people to sign up for cryonics. Gotta focus all his juice on the Light NovelFriendly AI problem.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Not to be that guy but I find it weird to consider prolonging the torturous existential withering of dementia, stretching the already beleaguered social care system to breaking point and hastening the destruction of our only habitat through exponential population growth coupled with untrammeled consumption to be unequivocably good and worth striving for. More and longer life is a piss poor substitute for quality of life and this obsession techno-utopians have with conquering death is pretty misplaced when there are other more pressing and immediate (not to mention solvable) problems that need to be tackled before it's even a realistic, achievable or sustainable goal. Then again these are the same sort of people who think we're going to go to space so maybe they don't see choking half the world with smog and drowning its remaining populace with melted ice cap runoff as being major long term problems.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The perfect actively taking money away from the good

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

So like in a post-death society what do they do with prisoners sentenced to life without parole, or Supreme Court justices? Does Europe bring back executions before the entire continent is covered in supermax prisons given a long enough time-scale? Do judges just get a 50 or 100 year term instead then?

Look up Scandinavian open prisons et al. They have less recidivism than the US and don't believe in life sentences or solitary confinement.

Anders Breivik, that Nazi serial killer who murdered around 70 kids, is due for release in 7 years or so. In the meantime he's entitled to free college education as much as he wants and has his own personal games console in his designated room.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It doesn't matter because it won't happen, and this kind of talk is honestly even less important than discussing whether Shadows of the Empire is still canon, because nobody thinks Prince Xizor is a real person.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Raise your hand if you come to this thread for important talk.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

*raises paw*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Look up Scandinavian open prisons et al. They have less recidivism than the US and don't believe in life sentences or solitary confinement.

Anders Breivik, that Nazi serial killer who murdered around 70 kids, is due for release in 7 years or so. In the meantime he's entitled to free college education as much as he wants and has his own personal games console in his designated room.

Anders is only "due for release" in the sense that his sentence is up for review. Norway is allowed to say "No, you haven't changed and you'll still be dangerous if we let you out" and renew his sentence.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Yeah sorry no Brevik's not getting out. They can call it something besides a life sentence all they want. It's a life sentence.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah sorry no Brevik's not getting out. They can call it something besides a life sentence all they want. It's a life sentence.

the point is that they don't have a straight up "you are never getting out" sentence

there's always a chance

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Subjunctive posted:

French President François Hollande vowed that the “fight will be merciless” against the Muslim terrorists. President Hollande pledged that the retaliation would be “pitiless.” Fair enough. I know how that promise can be kept in full; I’ve even seen the successful results when it was used against Marxist insurgents in Latin America.

The institutions of the state are what caused the problem of Islamic immigration in the first place. No matter how many murders the refugees might commit, you are never going to hear politicians admit that they made a mistake. Only an entity completely outside the system will be ruthless enough to correct things. Government cannot fix things; only armed vigilantes can put an end to this. The legal establishment is absolutely ineffective; only an extrajudicial movement will be able to alter the social dynamics.

Only individual citizens acting independently can put a stop against Islamic terrorism. Only a civilian militia can act with enough flexibility to destroy these Muslim invaders. The only means of striking against the Islamists will be through paramilitary death squads. The only manner that Islamic infiltration can be stopped is with right-wing death squads.

These Islamic attacks are going to continue. Whenever you hear of another Muslim massacre anywhere in the world, there is one thing that you must always do. Buy guns. If you don’t own a handgun, buy a weapon immediately. If you already own a firearm, purchase another. If you are fortunately enough to own an arsenal, then buy more ammunition. You can never have enough ammo. You will need to defend yourself soon enough.

If the Muslims are going to execute hostages one-by-one, then you need to carry a weapon everywhere. You never know when immigrants might try to assault you. If there are Muslims in the neighborhood, then you are going to want to carry a gun with you whenever you leave home.

The humanitarians are always going to tell you that Muslims are peaceful, no matter how many atrocities they commit in the name of Mohammad. You are going to need a death squad to protect yourself against the “religion of peace.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the point is that they don't have a straight up "you are never getting out" sentence

there's always a chance

In Canada I believe that called the "faint hope" clause.