Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cleretic posted:

The only reason I obect to your opinion is being personally a bit surprised somebody I agree with even bought 3. Like, you knew it was only going further from what you liked about it, was it sunk cost fallacy or optimism?

ME3 actually improved on a few things, like having more than two weapons of each type and having them affect cooldowns on your powers so you had to balance your equipment and abilities, like in an RPG. It definitely went downhill in other areas, but at least it was a nice looking and exciting spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For me part of the appeal of Mass Effect is it's a space opera game that isn't 4x or space trucking. Just shooting lasers and romancing aliens as God intended.

It's got a heavy "Star Trek/Wars with the serial numbers filed off" vibe that is pretty much my jam.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

The fact that Puzzle Quest 2 and Puzzle Quest: Galaxtrix or whatever where nowhere near as good and fun as the first puzzle quest drag them down. I'm glad someone managed to mod the first PQ to give it all the DLC the console versions got. Puzzle Quest is one of the few games that can make me super mad, when like an enemy gets a bullshit cascade and kills me ten times in a row, but I won't stop playing because gently caress that guy I am going to kick his rear end.

Galactrix was straight up ruined by those loving gates. I forget the exact rules, but they sucked and you'd have to redo ones you already completed on the regular.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maxwell Lord posted:

For me part of the appeal of Mass Effect is it's a space opera game that isn't 4x or space trucking. Just shooting lasers and romancing aliens as God intended.

It's got a heavy "Star Trek/Wars with the serial numbers filed off" vibe that is pretty much my jam.

I love the visual design, style and pretty much everything about Mass Effect. Except the writing, dialogue and biowareness of it all. I even loved flipping through space on that goofy rear end little space car after a while. But oh man there was no reasonable text speed up button, the dialogue choices were a mess on the PC version because it was an :effort: port and I'd often pick the wrong thing hitting buttons to make the text go faster. If 3 was on steam though, I'd probably go back through and buy them all on steam.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Galactrix was straight up ruined by those loving gates. I forget the exact rules, but they sucked and you'd have to redo ones you already completed on the regular.
The game is also so short you can beat it without ever having to worry about it, if you don't get hosed by the game's bullshit. It's got a very linear story with way less actual side stuff than the original puzzle quest does, and the way the ship stuff worked, there was no reason to ever do anything but get the best thing available and move on to the next plot point and get the next good ship/weapons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is because it was originally going to be another Knights of the Old Republic game but they came up with their own IP instead for some reason I can't remember.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i liked how guns folded in and out in mass effect. i'd whip out guns just to watch those animations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The citadel in Mass Effect made me really want a game that was set entirely in that instead of doing ice and lava planets and so on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The citadel in Mass Effect made me really want a game that was set entirely in that instead of doing ice and lava planets and so on.

The amount of time I wasted there was insane. Yes, I'm going to look for all the keepers. Why would I not.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
A sci-fi game set entirely in a limited, non-hosed location for once would be really goddamn cool.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Too bad they canceled that Coruscant game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

i liked how guns folded in and out in mass effect. i'd whip out guns just to watch those animations.

This but Vanquish.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Too bad they canceled that Coruscant game.

Oh man, a Boba Fett game structured like the Batman games, where you unlock his equipment piece by piece, culminating in a kickass jetpack would've been so much fun.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

A game where an old, retired Garrus rejoins Csec to solve some major crime on the Citadel would be awesome.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Only if, like he comments in the second game, he finds C Sec has changed and it's now both too by the book and too unaccountably ruthless at the same time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Back in my day we wouldn't have squeezed that guy and we wouldn't have had council regulations telling us not to either. Politics! :corsair:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

This but Vanquish.

I just lit a cig every time in vanquish

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I would like it if Grim Dawn just made potions a cooldown ability instead of them effectively being a cd ability that you have to sacrifice a couple of inventory slots for. Why bother including something as a limited resource when that limitation will never matter outside of the first 10-20 minutes of game time. Even if you somehow ran out, maybe by mainlining the arena forever, you can just buy infinity of them for peanuts.

I have also managed to put 75 hours into it without ever clearing the base difficulty because I cannot stop making new characters, but that's on me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

Oh man, a Boba Fett game structured like the Batman games, where you unlock his equipment piece by piece, culminating in a kickass jetpack would've been so much fun.

Could you explain this to me? If I'm playing a Star Wars game, it's to be a force-using Jedi, not some mundane guy.

Green Lantern, not Batman.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hands up everyone who guessed the username before they looked

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

hands up everyone who guessed the username before they looked

To be fair I'd rather be a Jedi than Boba Fett too. Dude had more screen time as a small child than an adult with cool armor

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a million god drat games already where you can be a Jedi. I want to be a non-Force-using bounty hunter who's hired by the Empire between episode 3 and 4 to kill jedi.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Remember in KOTOR2 where Atton talks about his days as a Jedi hunter, and all the ways they figured out how to deal with them? A game of that! I read a post by a guy who played that kind of character in Star Wars Galaxies, it was lots of fun to read

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I want to be a non-Force-using bounty hunter who's hired by the Empire between episode 3 and 4 to kill jedi.

Vader was the clean-up man for Jedis between 3 and 4, if I remember correctly, specifically because what you suggest doesn't work very often.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Remember in KOTOR2 where Atton talks about his days as a Jedi hunter, and all the ways they figured out how to deal with them? A game of that! I read a post by a guy who played that kind of character in Star Wars Galaxies, it was lots of fun to read

I played SWG for a long time and the first of the Jedi were unlocked in a specific way. Each character had a seed for 5 or 6 classes(out of like 28) they needed to master in order to unlock a new character slot for a force sensitive character. There was a very rare item drop called a Holocron, which when read revealed one of the classes needed to unlock the FS slot. It would not reveal the last one, which left people to A)hunt holocrons which became massively inflated in value and B) just grind everything once your last Holocron was cloudy. It was a loving nightmare and likewise Jedi/Sith in Star Wars Galaxies were incredibly powerful and rare. They even had permadeath(yes, in an MMORPG) and would turn into a blue glowy.

Well SOE realized how hosed up a Jedi economy would be, so they planned in a huge game update to streamline the game down from the 30 or whatever classes down to like 8. Jedi was a starting class, and we ended up with servers that were maybe 40-50% Jedi, all running around at a time when the only two known Jedi were Luke Skywalker and Yoda because the others were quite literally hunted to extinction in the Star Wars timeline. I personally never played as a Jedi because gently caress that poo poo.

ToR came around and you can still start as a Jedi, and yes I subscribe but even then, I will not play as a Jedi because they are so ubiquitous. Even in a franchise like Star Wars where you could expect to see or play as an iconic bounty hunter or smuggler, everyone is drawn to Jedi and there is so much god drat potential in a non-Jedi type character that shoeing in magic powers is overused and stupid. Schmugglah 4 lyfe.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Somfin posted:

How dare a female character have a life and personal agency :bahgawd:, I guess.

Dishonored 2 again

I just feel like the game should be focused on specific person being a badass and not about their dumb intimate personal details.I know that's sounds hypocritical due to Corvo/Jessamine, but then again that's the major story element so imo it's different. I think my problem is that I played DH1 so much and she was a kid, so like... it seems forced that they had to specify that she's now AN ADULT and has A BOYFRIEND. I just feel it's unnecessary. note: I am not a creepy jealous crazy weirdo because it probably sounds that way, I'm just a weirdo nerd

Unrelated, the voice actor for Corvo bothers me because he really pronounces 'sh's like, "sszzshhip". It annoys me significantly.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Dec 22, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

2house2fly posted:

I too want to play a game where in the first 30 minutes I get sliced to death by some random Jedi because I'm a boring rear end peon in the galaxy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2 again

I just feel like the game should be focused on specific person being a badass and not about their dumb intimate personal details.I know that's sounds hypocritical due to Corvo/Jessamine, but then again that's the major story element so imo it's different. I think my problem is that I played DH1 so much and she was a kid, so like... it seems forced that they had to specify that she's now AN ADULT and has A BOYFRIEND. I just feel it's unnecessary. note: I am not a creepy jealous crazy weirdo because it probably sounds that way, I'm just a weirdo nerd

Unrelated, the voice actor for Corvo bothers me because he really pronounces 'sh's like, "sszzshhip". It annoys me significantly.

Do they ever specifically mention that it's a guy? Lots of people in the Dishonored 2 thread were saying it's left ambiguous. In any case it didn't bother me really, it's in a letter that nobody is supposed to be reading and if you read old correspondence like that there's always dumb poo poo in there, people being people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Vader was the clean-up man for Jedis between 3 and 4, if I remember correctly, specifically because what you suggest doesn't work very often.

Kontradaz posted:

I too want to play a game where in the first 30 minutes I get sliced to death by some random Jedi because I'm a boring rear end peon in the galaxy.

modern gaming has robbed players of their imagination

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There was a jango feet game for the GameCube way back then, and by all accounts it was a pretty good precursor to modern third person shooters

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

2house2fly posted:

modern gaming has robbed players of their imagination

I was bored to tears of SW Republic Commando

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MisterBibs posted:

jedi were dropping like flies in episode 2. they're literally space ninjas in that the more of them are onscreen, the more of them will die off.

Len posted:

To be fair I'd rather be a Jedi than Boba Fett too. Dude had more screen time as a small child than an adult with cool armor

boba fett is the 90's antihero of the sw universe. rogue one showed me you can do tell a star wars story without having a lightsaber duel. i could see a bounty hunter game with small scale thugs amping up to taking out a jedi/sith as a final or at least second to final boss.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

jedi were dropping like flies in episode 2. they're literally space ninjas in that the more of them are onscreen, the more of them will die off.

boba fett is the 90's antihero of the sw universe. rogue one showed me you can do tell a star wars story without having a lightsaber duel. i could see a bounty hunter game with small scale thugs amping up to taking out a jedi/sith as a final or at least second to final boss.

The best part of Rogue One was Darth Vader and the rest was bland uninteresting characters- the whole premise of the non-jedi movie was also incredibly boring so it doesn't really help the quality of non-jedi entertainment. There's a reason the best of Star Wars media involves Jedi ;)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

More Star Wars games need to let you play as a Sith. Not like a mean Jedi like if you take the Dark Side path in KOTOR but a straight-up, no-poo poo member of the Sith order. I think TOR is the only one that lets you do it currently.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kontradaz posted:

The best part of Rogue One was Darth Vader and the rest was bland uninteresting characters- the whole premise of the non-jedi movie was also incredibly boring so it doesn't really help the quality of non-jedi entertainment. There's a reason the best of Star Wars media involves Jedi ;)

the best part was sneaking into the base and planting bombs and dressing up as stormtroopers. as cool as it was to treat vader as the predator in movies for the first time, it's like watching yoda doing flips in episode 2 for me.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Episode 3, while not being good, had a whole montage of Jedi being killed by regular rear end troopers. Some of them even died from really silly bullshit, like the one who got shot on a speeder. Wasn't a key theme of KotOR 2 that a Jedi is just as frail and mortal as any other rear end in a top hat, especially if they can't hide behind a saber?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glukeose posted:

Episode 3, while not being good, had a whole montage of Jedi being killed by regular rear end troopers. Some of them even died from really silly bullshit, like the one who got shot on a speeder. Wasn't a key theme of KotOR 2 that a Jedi is just as frail and mortal as any other rear end in a top hat, especially if they can't hide behind a saber?

That was the theme brought about by the game being limited to D&D Rules, not really canon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kontradaz posted:

That was the theme brought about by the game being limited to D&D Rules, not really canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fP7YJtjbZY

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Kontradaz posted:

Then if we're specifically working within canon, the Jedi get clowned by robots who are often too incompetent to shoot straight. They also get killed by a bounty hunter whose son would die later by falling into a giant mouth in a desert. They're really not infallible or overpowered.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glukeose posted:

Then if we're specifically working within canon, the Jedi get clowned by robots who are often too incompetent to shoot straight. They also get killed by a bounty hunter whose son would die later by falling into a giant mouth in a desert. They're really not infallible or overpowered.

The STRONG jedi, i.e Yoda / Darth Vader / Palpatine etc., have never been clowned or subject to any pitiful deaths. The younger ilk I would agree have their flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kontradaz posted:

Episode 4 also has very minimal Jedi stuff and it's really good so vOv