Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

If people are still planning on setting up a multiplayer TFC server I'd be up for it.

Although last time I played one, we went from scrounging food to piles of red steel ingots by the time I woke up the next morning and everyone left.

I had one set up for a week with no one trying to connect to it

I have been fighting to get started and its sooo slow

I finally got copper pick and a small underground area but thats it.
Soo really slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of getting started with TFC, I'm still working on my customized pack for TechNodeFirmaCraft. I'm up to 116 quests and am going through the questline for testing as well as checking all the extant quests for typos, misinformation, etc.

It's coming along. Up to 116 quests from the original 45.

While I'm making every effort to be succinct, I'm also trying to err on the side of too much detail as opposed to not enough, especially when it comes to major systems. As a result what I have is a pack that should take someone who's never played TFC ever and tune them in to all the systems/basics/mechanics, offer them all the optional and useful tools that come with the pack, and guide them into the new progression systems. Learn the basics, go up the tech tree, check useful items along the way, and eventually rise to greater efficiency and convenience as you ascend.
This is also including my changed ore spawning, custom modtweaker changes, and additional mods.
I'm trying to get it done quick but I don't want to miss anything, and once it's settled I'll publish it here in the hopes of giving an opportunity to anyone who's never been able to get into TFC.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Edit: For some reason vsync was the culprit, no clue why, turned it off and it was fine.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of getting started with TFC, I'm still working on my customized pack for TechNodeFirmaCraft. I'm up to 116 quests and am going through the questline for testing as well as checking all the extant quests for typos, misinformation, etc.
I know I'm driving you nuts, but take one advice: export that poo poo to JSON and edit it offline. The in-game editor just makes it horrible to look through and tweak things here and there. Well, at least it does in the 1.7.10 HQM revisions.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I know I'm driving you nuts, but take one advice: export that poo poo to JSON and edit it offline. The in-game editor just makes it horrible to look through and tweak things here and there. Well, at least it does in the 1.7.10 HQM revisions.
How do you do that, exactly? Is there a command to export it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Kinda stuck in Blood & Iron at the supply depot. Supposed to be finding something but have found nothing yet. There are no chests in the main buildings, there is a chest in the barbed wire place adjacent but it was empty. And the undead guys just respawn over and over. So most of my ammo is now exhausted.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's one jungle wood plank in a sea of normal oak planks. it should have a table on

break it

e: also do me a solid and note down the coordinates for the admech bunker when you finally find it please, i've lost it

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 18, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

there's one jungle wood plank in a sea of normal oak planks. it should have a table on

break it

e: also do me a solid and note down the coordinates for the admech bunker when you finally find it please, i've lost it

Thank you and here is your reward.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

How do you do that, exactly? Is there a command to export it?

Curseforge posted:

/hqm load all - loads all JSON files into the game.
/hqm load <page> - loads the page you specified into the game.

/hqm save <page> - saves the page you specified to JSON .
/hqm save all - saves all quest sets to a JSON file.

I had some freaky poo poo happen the first time I tried the commands, so I recommend you back up everything before importing the data back into the quest book. In particular, I lost some associations between chapters. I had a lot of stuff gate on iron and diamonds, and those all got severed when I first tried to do the imports. I can't even explain why because it looked like it never happened again.

TheresaJayne posted:

I had one set up for a week with no one trying to connect to it

I have been fighting to get started and its sooo slow

I finally got copper pick and a small underground area but thats it.
Soo really slow
I was waiting for Vib Rib's pack. Well, that and my new computer is being very testy. It was running fine without the video card, but with it, the system would black out arbitrarily. It didn't look confined to temperature either. I'm making oxygen-depriving posts about it in the mini-ITX thread.

Anyways, I figured out something from last time that makes me feel dumb. In the places where I found some tetrahedrite, I dug down to the rock in a swath around it. I found some veins right there. In my previous game, I was living off of exposed veins in mountainous areas.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So modding 1.11 with spigot is a nightmare because of how deluded the pool of help is with outdated info that simply no longer applies.

I have spigot, permissionEx, and chatEx on my server. I just want to be able to make it so only select people can build in the world spawn, without having to give them OP but I cannot figure out how to do it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

So modding 1.11 with spigot is a nightmare because of how deluded the pool of help is with outdated info that simply no longer applies.

I have spigot, permissionEx, and chatEx on my server. I just want to be able to make it so only select people can build in the world spawn, without having to give them OP but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Why not use forgeEssentials and use their permissions stuff, much better these days.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had some freaky poo poo happen the first time I tried the commands, so I recommend you back up everything before importing the data back into the quest book. In particular, I lost some associations between chapters. I had a lot of stuff gate on iron and diamonds, and those all got severed when I first tried to do the imports. I can't even explain why because it looked like it never happened again.

I was waiting for Vib Rib's pack. Well, that and my new computer is being very testy. It was running fine without the video card, but with it, the system would black out arbitrarily. It didn't look confined to temperature either. I'm making oxygen-depriving posts about it in the mini-ITX thread.

Anyways, I figured out something from last time that makes me feel dumb. In the places where I found some tetrahedrite, I dug down to the rock in a swath around it. I found some veins right there. In my previous game, I was living off of exposed veins in mountainous areas.

Well if Vib Rib wants to give me a server jar I can upgrade my server to that version.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

TheresaJayne posted:

Why not use forgeEssentials and use their permissions stuff, much better these days.

Because the server supports vive craft which is a spigot plugin.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
How do you use the prospector's pick in TFC?

Every block around me is reading "Very large traces of Malachite" but I'm going around in circles trying to find it and just getting more rock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RaspberryCommie posted:

Every block around me is reading "Very large traces of Malachite" but I'm going around in circles trying to find it and just getting more rock.

The prospector's pick is a tool to tell you where ore isn't. It scans in a 25x25x25 area from the block you clicked, and reports a vague amount (such as "very large") of an ore inside that cube. It also generates false negatives very frequently. (Supposedly training prospecting skill reduces the false negative rate, but it barely matters, given that you can just query other rocks nearby until you either get enough negatives or you roll a positive.)

The way I find ore:

1. Once I've located a rough square area of nuggets on the surface, I try to find where the "center" of the area is. This isn't strictly necessary, but it can save you some digging.
2. From the "center," I dig straight down, while testing the walls with the propick.
3. Once I get my first "very large" result, I continue to test up and down, vertically, until I find the point where the readings go from "large" to "very large." (If the most you can get is "large" or less, wherever this transition is.)
4. From that point, dig 13 blocks down.
5. Dig out a 3x3 area to set up the first support beams.
6. Pick a direction and start mining, setting down support beams every 4 blocks. (This is twice as often as you need, you can go back and pick up every other set of support beams later.) Every time you hit a four block boundary, take a propick reading.
7. Once you identify the transition point from Very Large and Large, turn around, and count out 13 blocks from this point. (Dig more if needed.)
8. Turn 90 degrees from this 13 block center and repeat 6 and 7, until you get the 13 block point in that direction. This is the "center point."
9. It's very likely that you've found the vein already by this point, but if you haven't, dig a pit around this central point.
10. If you haven't found it after about six blocks down, go back to your ladder, climb up about 5 blocks, and dig towards the center point.

e: fixed bit about false negatives, the propick will never generate a different result for the same block

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 19, 2016

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

I had to dig down to the second layer of stone to reach the malachite, so I can't quite do all of that, but I'll give it a shot at least.

I found a few chunks of ore so I can replace my picks as needed at least.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RaspberryCommie posted:

I had to dig down to the second layer of stone to reach the malachite, so I can't quite do all of that, but I'll give it a shot at least.

I found a few chunks of ore so I can replace my picks as needed at least.

Yeah, you can adapt it to second-layer ore just fine. It'll just take a bit longer.

With enough exploration you should be able to make the Big Four Tools (pick, propick, saw, chisel) before you ever start mining. Casting bronze makes this much easier.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm working on the pack! I promise I will get it out as soon as I can but as RaspberryCommie's post proved some of the core mechanics aren't easy to grasp so I'm overloading quests with too much info and now the text quest is becoming long and I'm second-guessing myself and it's all going to hell, this on top of actual quests. I'm trying to pack in information about how climate and latitude work alongside quests explaining how to find and harvest wild crops and this all not even counting the tech quests and it's really getting away from me.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Honestly just use the wiki, or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H8Hg875X7sKittyChanley's tutorial video. It's something that takes some figuring out but once you do, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

On that note, I've massively bumped up ore in my pack, which I'm tentatively dubbing "TechNodeFirmaCraft: EZ". I'm tempted to have all ores spawn in all rock layers just so you don't have to go sailing 20 minutes out to another continent to find tin or whatever, but then I'm worried that would take away from the reasons to go exploring.
Incidentally, normal ore is also now worth 50 units, so 2 is enough for a full ingot. Poor is 25, rich is 75.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 19, 2016

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

I found the malachite vein, but is it just me or is Kaolinite impossible to find?

My base is on chalk, which is a sedimentary rock. Kaolinite spawns in all sedimentary rocks, but I've been up and down the island smacking the ground with my propick and not one reading.

Got tons of coal though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RaspberryCommie posted:

I found the malachite vein, but is it just me or is Kaolinite impossible to find?

My base is on chalk, which is a sedimentary rock. Kaolinite spawns in all sedimentary rocks, but I've been up and down the island smacking the ground with my propick and not one reading.

Got tons of coal though.

It is quite rare, yes. Graphite and kaolinite are easily the most difficult things to find. What may help is paying attention to mountains, cliff walls, and along beaches, where lots of stone is exposed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

I'm working on the pack! I promise I will get it out as soon as I can but as RaspberryCommie's post proved some of the core mechanics aren't easy to grasp so I'm overloading quests with too much info and now the text quest is becoming long and I'm second-guessing myself and it's all going to hell, this on top of actual quests. I'm trying to pack in information about how climate and latitude work alongside quests explaining how to find and harvest wild crops and this all not even counting the tech quests and it's really getting away from me.
Use Enchiridion books for that. The HQM book is a bad place to put such detailed information since it's hard manage the text and you can't put pictures. You should be able to set it up so the players have access to all the books from the beginning too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Use Enchiridion books for that. The HQM book is a bad place to put such detailed information since it's hard manage the text and you can't put pictures. You should be able to set it up so the players have access to all the books from the beginning too.
I'm using IGW instead, which doesn't require an item and can be tabbed, so hopefully it'll work out. I'm doing my best to split off as much as i can.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly just use the wiki, or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H8Hg875X7sKittyChanley's tutorial video. It's something that takes some figuring out but once you do, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

On that note, I've massively bumped up ore in my pack, which I'm tentatively dubbing "TechNodeFirmaCraft: EZ". I'm tempted to have all ores spawn in all rock layers just so you don't have to go sailing 20 minutes out to another continent to find tin or whatever, but then I'm worried that would take away from the reasons to go exploring.
Incidentally, normal ore is also now worth 50 units, so 2 is enough for a full ingot. Poor is 25, rich is 75.

Vib Rib when you are ready drop me a server pack and I will put it up for us to use.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My friends and I have gotten a server together a few times over the years but only vanilla. Are there any really awesome mods you can rec for us this time? I've got one shot at getting these old guys to try something besides the basic game

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My friends and I have gotten a server together a few times over the years but only vanilla. Are there any really awesome mods you can rec for us this time? I've got one shot at getting these old guys to try something besides the basic game

Quark is a good mod to start out with. It has a very light touch to the existing game of Minecraft. Also recommend quality of life stuff like Inventory Tweaks and JEI.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Thanks I'll check it out! I think the biggest thing we're looking for is pretty or cool looking biomes, we like to explore

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thanks I'll check it out! I think the biggest thing we're looking for is pretty or cool looking biomes, we like to explore

Then add Biomes O' Plenty to this list. You'll need to edit the server.properties to enable worldgen for it in your server world, so look out for how to do that. (not sure off hand but i'm sure they have a bit for it)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I know people mean well but I hate that question. Like, you don't ask a group of people, 'What's the best brand of wine, I wanna wow my friends who've never tried wine before and I only have once chance.' There's thooooousands of mods. Do they like making awesome looking buildings? Give them Chisel. Might they wanna get into mechanising their material production and constructing gadgets? Then Thermal Expansion, EnderIO, Mekanism. Do they want to try mods with unique mechanics? Botania, Thaumcraft, Ars Magica 2. Do you want a unique looking world? Biomes o' Plenty and Realistic Terrain Generation.

If you're playing with 1.10 though, the answer is: get a pack of every 1.10 mod.

Edit: also I missed Harry Potter's second post about what they wanted.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 21, 2016

damug
Jun 21, 2004
I've fallen down the gregtech new horizons rabbit hole. After about an hour of painful exploration I found a nice river valley to settle in.

I think I'm about to exit the stone age but I'm curious when exactly I can start reliably crafting torches to go spelunking. I don't have to get all the way to the steam age do i? If so. Ungh. That's going to require a whole lot of bronze that I can't reliably find the copper and tin to make. Thoughts? Suggestions? Calls to just end my misery now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's been a while but couldn't you use wood -> charcoal and use the results to make torches instead of trying to dig out coal et al?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IIRC you can make torches from beeswax, which is easily gained from Pam's Harvestcraft bees. Also maybe sticky resin? I've been playing InfiTech 2 instead of New Horizons, so I can't remember.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

In Blood and Iron, I didn't have the quest for the Machinist's Workbench detect the one I'd looted. Also, is it intentional that you can't put them inside either of the satchels you get from Strength 2/4?

E: I also can't play on anything above peaceful, as I too have mobs just lagging the hell out of being able to kill them reasonably.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Black Pants posted:

If you're playing with 1.10 though, the answer is: get a pack of every 1.10 mod.

I've been playing the new progress with a few friends after being out of modded minecraft for so long.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm starting Tekkit Legends back up with only my hazy 4-year old Tekkit memories to go on. I thought that I could just hook a wooden pipe up to a chest and connect that to a macerator with cobblestone pipes, but that makes ores go flying all over the place. I need a solution to this problem, but more importantly, I was wondering if there was a good set of first-time guides with the various core mods. Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, Equivalent Exchange, etc.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ariong posted:

I'm starting Tekkit Legends back up with only my hazy 4-year old Tekkit memories to go on. I thought that I could just hook a wooden pipe up to a chest and connect that to a macerator with cobblestone pipes, but that makes ores go flying all over the place. I need a solution to this problem, but more importantly, I was wondering if there was a good set of first-time guides with the various core mods. Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, Equivalent Exchange, etc.

Wooden pipes from buildcraft need an engine to pump em. A redstone engine works.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
One of the "features" of Buildcraft Pipes is that when an item comes to a junction it will travel down a random branch whether there is a valid input at the destination or not. (and if there isn't a valid input it just spits it out into the world as an added gently caress you.) You can either make it so there is a just a single path between Chest and Macerator or use an iron pipe at junction which forces any items that go through it down a single path.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seriously though, gently caress Buildcraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

code:
 stone pipe       stone pipe     stone pipe
 stone pipe                      stone pipe
chest ->          wooden pipe -> insertion pipe
This way, if there is no room in the macerator it returns to the chest.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nevermind I'm a dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

taiyoko posted:

In Blood and Iron, I didn't have the quest for the Machinist's Workbench detect the one I'd looted. Also, is it intentional that you can't put them inside either of the satchels you get from Strength 2/4?

E: I also can't play on anything above peaceful, as I too have mobs just lagging the hell out of being able to kill them reasonably.

i think there's a load of item ID or item damage-level issues in blood and iron; there's such a huge amount of custom recipes and locations that it's sort of inevitable

for example, you can't actually submit a graphite electrode to the arc furnace quest because you need one that doesn't have any damage level at all, and they all start at 100%