Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

BaDandy posted:

Also, poo poo like Star Finger, even if it's incredibly silly, makes sense when you think of Stands as spirits and not actual people, like how they had HG and SC shrink for the Lovers fight. Like if Stands can shrink, they can probably do other weird body poo poo too.

I would have liked to see more weird nonsense like that, but I can't remember if it even comes up again in later parts.

Does Bite The Dust count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHTciWJjQI

I can't believe who was driving the ambulance that kills Kira...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The first handful of characters introduced have powers barely more interesting than single words (punch good, fire, sword, a beam or some poo poo? And I'm still not sure what hermit purple does lmfao) and while these got used in interesting ways later on the early parts of part three struggle a little for it.

It honestly feels to me like the latter half of part three should be judged entirely differently, the content is so much better and while the squad's stands are still a little whatever the situations they get put in force them to be creative. One of my favorite fights in the part is the first Darby and that's barely a stand battle anyways :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHTciWJjQI

I can't believe who was driving the ambulance that kills Kira...

Trying to figure out who that was before the fullbody reveal:

A mummy? ...El Santo? Santana? ....Dio with the stone mask? Oh. Alrighty.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hermit Purple gives you a plotline for a cool adventure.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Stephen King's The Stand falls on your head and you die

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Silver Chariot would probably be in my top 10 Stands exactly because of the simplicity of its design, knights and swords are cool. It's one of the most expressive Stands in the series, too, which gives it a lot of personality.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only bad thing about Silver Chariot is that his armour off trick is one and done. At the very least, he should have done it again against Star Platinum during Anubis to compete with SP's speed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BaDandy posted:

Also, poo poo like Star Finger, even if it's incredibly silly, makes sense when you think of Stands as spirits and not actual people, like how they had HG and SC shrink for the Lovers fight. Like if Stands can shrink, they can probably do other weird body poo poo too.

Star Finger has only really become strange in hindsight. On it's own it's perfectly fine, especially in conjunction with stands shrinking to fight in a man's brain, stands expanding their lungs to inhale an evil smoke, and so on. There's this sense that a person's stand has potential to do a lot of bizarre things, if it's user is creative enough to think of it and audacious enough to try it.

It's only later on, after it's been established that any given Stand will have mostly well defined abilities and limitations, that things like Star Finger become strange.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

horriblePencilist posted:

Does Bite The Dust count?

....:stare: I really want to say "maybe".

Schwarzwald posted:

Star Finger has only really become strange in hindsight. On it's own it's perfectly fine, especially in conjunction with stands shrinking to fight in a man's brain, stands expanding their lungs to inhale an evil smoke, and so on. There's this sense that a person's stand has potential to do a lot of bizarre things, if it's user is creative enough to think of it and audacious enough to try it.

It's only later on, after it's been established that any given Stand will have mostly well defined abilities and limitations, that things like Star Finger become strange.

Yeah, it really feels like Araki might have been trying to go for one thing with Stands being spirits/weird psychic energy things and then settling for "they have one unique power" to make them more interesting in the middle of writing SDC, and settling into it with DIU. Which, like Bad Seafood said, is cool to watch and look over.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Seeing the evolution of Stands going from 'weird spirit/psychic energy manifestations' to what they become later is really cool and a fun thing to watch as you read through each part, especially as Araki gets deeper into the series and starts coming up with weirder and more specific powers along the way.

"Oh, she can turn into string? That doesn't seem too usef...oh. Oh..." :stare:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
It's not even that much of a retcon or anything when you think about it, since when Joseph gave his big explanation of stands he had literally encountered two of them at the time. The man's just that good at bullshitting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And really, that evolution has come to a head in parts 7 and 8 where a lot of Stands barely have a "form," so to say. They're just superpowers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What happens to a Milagro Man if they eat the rokokoka? They can only 'gain', right?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What happens to a Milagro Man if they eat the rokokoka? They can only 'gain', right?

I thought that was explicitly money

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Their kidneys fall out and turn into their cash equivalent given the current street value.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

no they will not posted:

i think the main gang's stands from part 3 are probably the lamest of all the main gang's stands, but they're still pretty cool as is. saying that something is as lame as being really cool at sword fighting or owning a flamethrower is, well, fair enough

It's to Part 3's credit that the worst I can accuse it of is having somewhat unimaginative superpowers for most of its protagonists/antagonists to use. It was a very enjoyable watch, overall, and I'm looking forwards to finishing up Part 4 so that I can get to 5/6.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have trouble going back and watching part 3 cuz I really like episodic structure, and while the stands are cooler in eqypt for the back half it's also wall to wall two parters. Probably fine on a binge watch but Jojo has a lot of yelling and ther's a lot of scene pans n those eps so they feel more anemic.

(Part 3 is still fun and I love part 4 but trying to get the gf started into a 52 ep 'season' so we can get to the fun 39 ep 'season' is a tough sell)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

I have trouble going back and watching part 3 cuz I really like episodic structure, and while the stands are cooler in eqypt for the back half it's also wall to wall two parters. Probably fine on a binge watch but Jojo has a lot of yelling and ther's a lot of scene pans n those eps so they feel more anemic.

(Part 3 is still fun and I love part 4 but trying to get the gf started into a 52 ep 'season' so we can get to the fun 39 ep 'season' is a tough sell)

It's a lot easier when you realize all of JoJo is good and fun.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It is but part 3 is particularly shouneny.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

It is but part 3 is particularly shouneny.

I don't think that matters as long as it's good, but maybe it'll help if you think remember it invented or popularized a lot of things you see in shonen these days, so how is it not supposed to feel like classic shonen?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I don't give a poo poo, but the point here is to someone who does not feel compelled by shounen, the ur-shounen, long rear end part is not particularly appealing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

I don't give a poo poo, but the point here is to someone who does not feel compelled by shounen, the ur-shounen, long rear end part is not particularly appealing.

Fair enough, but if they don't like shonen at all regardless of quality, I don't know if they'd like any part of JoJo. It's always about hot-blooded heroes having magic battles to protect something/someone.

My personal feeling is if someone sees the first episode of Phantom Blood, and nothing about it makes them want to continue, knowing that it only gets better from there, they probably won't like any of JoJo unless they are really picky about some arbitrary things. But if you're confident they'd like Part 4 but not the rest, I guess just show them Part 4 and see where that goes.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

You can pretty easily just start at part 4 and go back once she gets hooked. It doesn't follow on from the other parts much so the most you'll need to explain is "that's Jotaro, he's the main character of the last story arc" and "Daddy Nijimura got hosed up by DIO, the main villain of the last story arc".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hoobajoo posted:

My personal feeling is if someone sees the first episode of Phantom Blood, and nothing about it makes them want to continue, knowing that it only gets better from there, they probably won't like any of JoJo unless they are really picky about some arbitrary things. But if you're confident they'd like Part 4 but not the rest, I guess just show them Part 4 and see where that goes.

I really disagree with you, here. Part 1 is good on the whole, but the first few episodes are a slow burn and not at all representative of the rest of the series.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I really disagree with you, here. Part 1 is good on the whole, but the first few episodes are a slow burn and not at all representative of the rest of the series.

PB isn't representative of what JoJo is like even by the end of PB, but it has the pulpy melodrama, signature color shifts, emotionally-realized characters, and Dio being Dio everywhere. Those were all things that I saw and made me curious and want to watch more, and even though the rest of the series isn't a Downton Abbey-esque story of a good boy and his lovely adopted brother, a lot of what makes JoJo special is all there in the first episode. I think if someone saw all of those things and none of them spoke to that person or made them want to see more, I don't think I would show them the rest. I guess there are people who might like it but have some absurdly specific and strong dislike that overshadowed it, like if they just hate Victorian England or musclemen character designs to the point where they hate PB but would like other stuff, but aside from those weirdos, I think you only need the first episode of JoJo to know if you want to see more.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hoobajoo posted:

PB isn't representative of what JoJo is like even by the end of PB, but it has the pulpy melodrama, signature color shifts, emotionally-realized characters, and Dio being Dio everywhere. Those were all things that I saw and made me curious and want to watch more, and even though the rest of the series isn't a Downton Abbey-esque story of a good boy and his lovely adopted brother, a lot of what makes JoJo special is all there in the first episode. I think if someone saw all of those things and none of them spoke to that person or made them want to see more, I don't think I would show them the rest.

I think that is very much a mistake. Just watching the first two episodes, for example, would give you the impression that the entire series is just a very stylized "Downton Abbey-esque story of a good boy and his lovely adopted brother." It's extremely misrepresentative of not just Jojo as a whole, but even of the latter parts of Part 1.

I say this as someone who, after hearing about how cool Jojo was a few years ago, read the first few chapters of Part 1, got absolutely bored with it, and stopped reading.
Then when the anime came out, I thought, "I'll give this another try," watched the first two episodes, didn't get too attached (although it was admittedly very stylish) and stopped watching.

It was nearly a year later that I chanced into watching the first episode of part 2 that I actually fell in love with the series.

I still haven't gone back to watch the rest of part 1. I guess I will eventually, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Phantom Blood is cool and good, but also really dated and campy. It really gets much better on a rewatch, as with the benefit of hindsight you start noticing how many cool jojoisms there already were there. In many respects, it reminds me of Srar Trek: The Original Series, as perceived by contemporary audience.

As much as skipping parts is most naughty, I always tell people that if they really can't get get a feel for Phantom Blood other than yet another dumb anime, they should try skipping to the beginning of Battle Tendency to give it one last shot. If the Straits fight doesn't win them over, nothing will (the dumb grenade trick seems to be the moment at which everyone really gets in for the ride).

Of course, it's probably best to introduce jojo with some fun little self-contained episode from later parts.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 22, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2Jn1ype8k

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

phantom blood really is just massively different from the rest of the series and i can entirely believe that someone would heavily dislike it but love the rest. the series really doesn't start becoming fully what it is today until part 3, and it even takes a little bit for it to warm up during that. part 2 is at least more diverse than 1, if nothing else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's too soon. I don't want it to end.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Honestly, the first few episodes of PB are my favorite. Just seeing Dio being a douche on a level never seen before and his rivalry with Jonathan in the 1800s was really fun.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I watched it with gg subs so it was good.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I managed to ace one of my final exam questions by gushing about Jolyne Kujo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kuroyama posted:

I managed to ace one of my final exam questions by gushing about Jolyne Kujo.

Reminds me of when I answered a question on one of my tests in American Classics by explaining why Fate/Zero was a work of magical realism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wrote an SAT essay about Berserk.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Does Phantom Blood qualify as Sturm und Drang?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I wrote an SAT essay about Berserk.

i use anime quotes to describe myself on tinder

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steel ball run is turning into one of my favorite mangas ever by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

frank.club posted:

Steel ball run is turning into one of my favorite mangas ever by a mile
Part 7 is so loving good that by the end I consider it just great fiction, a work of literature to be studied, the best stuff in JoJo

Everyone should read JoJo but gently caress man everyone neeeeeds to read Steel Ball Run