Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I think the part about it being Mutaito's move is filler but in the Manga Roshi explicitly says Tien must have learned it from the Crane Hermit. It's considered an evil assassination move because it drains the user's life force and is so powerful it can only kill the target.

So what I'm saying is expect Tien to keel over in the Universe Survival Arc because he used up all his remaining years blasting Cell and Buu.

the culminator posted:

Tfs not having cell as the #2 villain just for some forced db nostalgia over king piccolo is stupid

Getting mad over internet lists is stupid too but you know

I love Cell but he's not objectively a more impactful villain than King Piccolo or Freeza. I would however put him ahead of Vegeta (in a list based solely on villiany alone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I love Cell but he's not objectively a more impactful villain than King Piccolo or Freeza. I would however put him ahead of Vegeta (in a list based solely on villiany alone).

If you're on a list of villains based on villainy alone then Vegeta has murdered entire planets, Cell barely got a few cities.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cell is the best villain and his death is the coolest

FACT

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just comparing deaths, goku headbutting his way through piccolo's chest was pretty cool

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ugh if we're really reacting to a group's subjective lists then ofc picollo is higher up because cell comes out of nowhere and although he's cool his input only serves to end the whole gohan subplot, a thing that could have been done with any of the androids.

Picollo marks a change in tone for the entire series, his arc introduces a lot of things that would become series staples and so on.

They're both important, but by their arbitrary standards yeah picollo is higher.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ImpAtom posted:

If you're on a list of villains based on villainy alone then Vegeta has murdered entire planets, Cell barely got a few cities.

Yeah but most of Vegeta's evil acts occurred offscreen or in filler. Onscreen I think the only non-baddies he kills are that Namekian village.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think their list is based less on villainy and more on impact and how much they like them.

So yeah vegeta is high up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah but most of Vegeta's evil acts occurred offscreen or in filler. Onscreen I think the only non-baddies he kills are that Namekian village.

he blows up that stadium full of people at the world tournament

KoB
May 1, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Final Kamehameha has existed for two decades already. While it's the first time it is shown and named in the anime, it's been in videogames since 1996's Hyper Dimension.

New move-wise, technically every move we've seen from opponents is new since they're new characters to begin with, excluding things like Cabba's Galick Gun and Frost taking Freeza's moves, and even there both get different names in videogames (Cabba's Galick Gun is the Galick Cannon and Frost uses "Chaos" attacks rather than "Death" ones).

Technically Vegeta always says "Galick Hou (cannon)" so its just a translation thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think the part about it being Mutaito's move is filler but in the Manga Roshi explicitly says Tien must have learned it from the Crane Hermit. It's considered an evil assassination move because it drains the user's life force and is so powerful it can only kill the target.

Tien managed to improve the Mafuba so he didn't die, I bet he could do the same with Shin kikoho with training.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Cell is a better villain if only for that one dub's reaction to Vegeta's Final Flash

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They made a decent point that Cell's writing is probably elevated by the voice actors.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They also make a good point that Cell is at his best as Imperfect Cell, just a pure horror movie villain monster man.

Perfect Cell is just kind of watered down Freeza.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

They also make a good point that Cell is at his best as Imperfect Cell, just a pure horror movie villain monster man.

Perfect Cell is just kind of watered down Freeza.

Imperfect Cell and Semi/perfect Cell have completely different personalities. I will grant that Imperfect Cell is a bad rear end villian, I mostly dislike Perfect Cell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Cell is a fun villain because he is every character in Dragon ball put into one mesh, so he's actually really unpredictable in what he's going to do next, as we see him mood-swing between Freeza, Vegeta, Goku, Krillin and even Yamcha(he did kinda blow himself up) in personalities and he had no problems turning tail and running away if he was outmatched, but he eventually developed too much pride, but even that was overshadowed by sheer sneer of Freeza.

I mean, he might not have anything we haven't seen before, but he still did very unique things like holding the Cell tournament.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah but the Cell Games were basically Cell vs Goku and Gohan

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
My favorite villain moment is when Ma Junior reveals that he is the (metaphoric?) reincarnation of Demon King Piccolo, and literally the entire world freaks out. President Dog gets an emergency briefing from the JCOS. poo poo's crazy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Augus posted:

They made a decent point that Cell's writing is probably elevated by the voice actors.

Daemon Clark is like where 70% of Perfect Cell's character comes from.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
To me it's pretty goddamn amazing how both VAs for sub/dub Cell are top notch. And yeah Daemon Clark's Perfect Cell VA is just great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aurora posted:

Yeah but the Cell Games were basically Cell vs Goku and Gohan
If we live long enough to see Dragon Ball animated again, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cell Games expanded so several other characters can fight Cell first, in order to try and wear him down.

It would make the nerd anger when Goku gives Cell a senzu bean so much sweeter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Would Cell have been considered a more impactful villain if Gohan had actually become the new hero of the series instead of Goku coming right back into the spotlight?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I agree with TFS but more because I think Cell is kind of lame

like he's so incredibly generic personality wise I'd put Buu and Beerus over him in a heartbeat

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
My problem with Cell is that after he becomes perfect his motivations don't really make sense. He wants to go around randomly destroying planets after he's had his fun with the Cell Games, and he's convinced this was Gero's plan all along, which doesn't make sense given HIS motivations either.

That said, he's still a fun villain pretty much entirely out of charisma.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like first form/imperfect cell way more than the others. You've got this crazy scifi bugoid from the future who killed (a) Trunks and stole his time machine, who is slipping around killing entire cities by stabbing and drinking them, cripples Piccolo in his first scene with a hero and then absorbs the very same arc villains who have been effortlessly wrecking our heroes for like 20 episodes. Unfortunately he then turns into Strong Man, the Man who is Strong who doesn't stab and drink anybody at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they even point out in the video that perfect cell is pretty much diet freeza

he pretty much gets the spot on design and franchise impact which I sort of agree with but, man, his totally nothing motivation really drags it down for me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

his motivation was to become perfect and he was bored once he did that so he became goku and wanted to beat everyone up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Cell tends to rank high for design and voicework, and for the fact that he probably brought the most change to the DBZ universe with stuff like kami being fused and replaced and Gohan stepping into the hero role and all that. Number 4 feels right for him, top 3 badguys should be the ones that totally changed the story with their presence like King Piccolo and Freezer and Vegeta, those characters completely altered the dynamics of the story that lasted even past their deaths (or redemption in Vegeta's case), but along with that they actually were impressive villains with schemes you can follow and cool design. Cell got the first part but he kinda botched the second.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KoB posted:

Technically Vegeta always says "Galick Hou (cannon)" so its just a translation thing.

I know that, but Cabba's isn't ギャリック砲 (Gyarikku-Ho), it's ギャリックキャノン (Gyarikku Kyanon) I believe. Both Heroes and Xenoverse categorize them as two different techniques, although the description for Cabba's in XV2 is literally

Xenoverse 2 posted:

A move that's identical to the Galick Gun! Tap the button to increase its power.

So uhh...it's the same but renamed slightly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I know that, but Cabba's isn't ギャリック砲 (Gyarikku-Ho), it's ギャリックキャノン (Gyarikku Kyanon) I believe. Both Heroes and Xenoverse categorize them as two different techniques, although the description for Cabba's in XV2 is literally

So uhh...it's the same but renamed slightly.

Mirror universe goatee version. Duh.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Namtab posted:

Team four star and his list

They are tearing apart this happy goon family. Something not even media induced fear of death could do :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Last I checked all it took to tear apart this happy goon family was too ask whether the dub or sub is better

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

is goku a good dad though

e: also what's gohan's power level

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku being a bad dad isn't even debatable. So meh.

Now is he the worst dad is another matter.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

When is the Team Four Star Top 10 Dads In Dragonball video coming out

will it be for father's day

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like perfect cell better than any other cell also tfs are really bad at understanding berrus at all

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
any time i watch stuff by team four star its awful

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

tbp posted:

this but it's pretty good instead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

tbp posted:

You stopped at season one so you aren't wrong.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

You stopped at season one so you aren't wrong.

Season 1 and up to halfway through season 2 made me laugh harder than anything TFS since so they are automatically the best to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel for you and your lovely sense of humor.

• Locked thread