Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hewlett posted:

Re-checked it, it's definitely not free in the US on Prime. For 'included with Prime' stuff, the logo usually has that silver bar on the top left corner that says 'Prime.'

So now I was in "I'll show you" mode.

Added it to my watchlist. Selected the 1st episode, and... there's no way to play it. It tells me "Videos you've purchased or rented are available to watch here".

Apparently, to get around paying royalties to Apple, you can't purchase or rent stuff through the app. But you can add it to your watchlist? That's confusing and dumb. Just say I can't purchase poo poo there and have to use the web site to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Adding it to the watchlist makes it easier to find to buy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
All these people posting in the evening saying that they can't find it on any streaming services probably spent the whole day looking forward to going home and rewatching The Expanse :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife watched through all of it a few weeks ago on netflix, it's certainly been recently added in some countries I guess.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's worth just buying it from iTunes or Google Play in the opinion of this dipshit loser.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Expanse absolutely is available via Prime in the US. I just fired up the first episode without an issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I definitely apologize for adding to the confusion. I was legit excited thinking I could tell my dad he could use his Amazon account to watch Season 1.

E: god drat it^^ really? I just went through the web interface the only option I could find was to purchase it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 22, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

The Expanse absolutely is available via Prime in the US. I just fired up the first episode without an issue.

I have Prime and my only option is to buy the season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cojawfee posted:

I have Prime and my only option is to buy the season.

Same here. I wonder if it's by state or ISP or something.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maybe it's regional? Virginia, USA. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazon datacentre de‐synchronisation?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it has to be an incomplete rollout. I'm in PA for reference on FiOS.

It just went live today.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

At home now and it shows up when I look at Amazon on my PC, just not on my phone or tablet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

East coast of the US here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It shows up on all of my devices here in beautiful Oakland, California.

Actually it shows up twice: as a purchase from back when it aired and as a free option through prime.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

It shows up on all of my devices here in beautiful Oakland, California.

Actually it shows up twice: as a purchase from back when it aired and as a free option through prime.

Yep. I got it now. It shows up twice in the search options. Once as the paid version, and then as the Prime Video version.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Deakul posted:

East coast of the US here.

That's clearly Afro-Eurasia. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is a preposterous amount of light in the ’stans.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Earth has what like 20 billion in the expanse, something ridiculous. Gotta put those cities somewhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Earth has what like 20 billion in the expanse, something ridiculous. Gotta put those cities somewhere.

Thirty.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Definitely available on Netflix in most European countries since November.
It even briefly got on the main front page banner as a new addition.

The Martian and The Expanse officially being in the same universe/continuity definitely makes perfect sense.

What year is it in the Expanse? Is there a set date or should we assume around 2250?
The Martian could be around 2050 if NASA suddenly became super well funded.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Evernoob posted:

What year is it in the Expanse? Is there a set date or should we assume around 2250?

The show is about 200 years from now. The books don't give a definite date, but it's further in the future. Someone claiming to be Ty Franck on another board claims the game the series was based on was called 2350, which would line up well enough with what we do know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was always guessing 2400s for the books. 200 years is way too soon, I just ignore it in the show.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well, it is too soon unless tomorrow suddenly the Epstein Drive gets discovered.
An technology like that (basically unlimited energy to today's standards) sure can give a significant boost.

Also at current population increases, 30 billion in 250 years doesn't seem too farfetched (if supported by the advancing technology.... food is not a problem as per quantity. The correct distribution of it however is.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Epstein drive was invented by someone from developed Mars though, if I remember right. It's also a relatively recent invention in the timeline. Mars and the Belt were colonized with pre-Epstein ships.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
200 years seems pretty reasonable given we've been adding about a billion people to the planet each decade for the last 60 years. :shrug:

If anything that seems really conservative.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Mars and the Belt were colonized with pre-Epstein ships.

Mars was colonised, but not the belt.

Last page of “Drive”:

If he had control, he could reach the asteroid belt. He could go to the Jovian system and be the first person to walk on Europa and Ganymede. He isn’t going to, though. That’s going to be someone else. But when they get there, they will be carried by his drive.

“And the war! If distance is measured in time, Mars just got very, very close to Earth while Earth is still very distant from Mars. That kind of asymmetry changes everything. He wonders how they’ll negotiate that. What they’ll do. All the lithium and molybdenum and tungsten anyone could want is within reach of mining companies now. They can go to the asteroid belt and the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. The thing that that kept Earth and Mars from ever reaching a lasting peace isn’t going to matter anymore.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 22, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Mars was colonised, but not the belt.

Ah okay. That's worse then, the Belt and Jovian system seem to have been colonized for at least a century.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

200 years seems pretty reasonable given we've been adding about a billion people to the planet each decade for the last 60 years. :shrug:

If anything that seems really conservative.

Earth's population growth is slowing, but Earth is less the problem than Mars. Four billion on Mars in that short a timeframe is nuts. Especially since most/all are Martian born. There was a bit in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy about moving people, like moving a million people a year from Earth to Mars is an enormous task in and of itself and that doesn't even get you close to the numbers.

I don't think it matters much. The books never mention a year and it isn't a problem, I don't know why the TV series decided to explicit with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Exponential growth is really powerful.

If everyone does their duty for the party Congress, starts a family at 18 years of age, and has four kids, and you had two centuries to reach the four billion mark, you’d need under ten thousand initial colonists.

Supporting that kind of population growth in an environment hostile to life is nuts, but it’s not outright impossible.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The population of the earth went from around 1.5 billion circa 1900 to 7.5 billion today, assuming we're not strangled for resources (an assumption which is explicit in The Expanse) 30 billion in 200 years from now is really not unreasonable, and it's actually probably something like 32-35 billion including people living outside earth, which is still not unreasonable.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Anyone doubting that we could have colonies on the Jovian moons in 200 years should remember that Orville Wright started his career in the bleeding edge high tech industry of bicycle repair and lived to see the jet engine, the V2 rocket, and the atom bomb.

If we can go from not having any sort of heavier than air flight to having people in loving space in 60 years, then, if anything, The Expanse's timeline might be too conservative. Technological innovation can come at incredible speeds once the essential theory is worked out, especially if there's money in it.

The social aspects are a little harder to explain, but I can sort of buy Mars being only 100-150 years old and the Belt having been colonized for less than a century. Ceres has kind of a former-boom town vibe, but it hasn't gone completely to seed yet. Three generations or so is plenty of time for them to develop their own national identity, especially given how isolated they are. The way Dawes described his horrible childhood also suggested that the Belt hadn't been colonized for that long and still had a hardscrabble pioneer vibe when he was growing up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Counterpoint: no human has been farther than low Earth orbit in forty‐four years.

The youngest person to exceed that altitude is now eighty years old.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
The sad, simple truth of it is that conflict drives innovation. And that funding needs some sort of tangible return on investment.
So we won't really push to discover the technologies necessary to go to Mars, unless there's some form of space gold on Mars.

Plus, it will rock the boat from the current status quo, where everything is energy (oil) dependent.
So what's better than to curb research into paradigm shifts in power. Just look at how long electrical car development has been kept down.

Since this is tviv; tl;dr we won't go to space untill everyone is in agreement that the earth is irrevocably hosed, and starts putting serious funding into it over 25 years

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Daktari posted:

Since this is tviv; tl;dr we won't go to space untill everyone is in agreement that the earth is irrevocably hosed, and starts putting serious funding into it over 25 years
This is kind of a tangent, but one thing I really appreciate about more recent Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars trillogy guy), is his emphasis that... if the Earth is hosed, we're hosed. We can't escape.

Even in the Expanse world (to keep this from getting too off topic), humanity is still entirely dependent on Earth's biological resources. Sure there's plenty of minerals out there, but we're learning more and more that ecologies are what we need, not elements. And those are far more complicated than you'd imagine.

Sure, with the Earth as our base of operations we can sustain human civilization across the solar system, but we can never replace it. Mars can't be terraformed in a lifetime. It's a project that might take thousands of years. Nowhere else is remotely set up to support a biosphere. Even massive space habitats would represent only a tiny fraction of Earth's biological resources, and as we've seen whenever we've tried to mess with that kind of stuff, that will cause problems.

tl;dr: Sci-fi dreams of infinite possibilities are hosed up if they make us forget the finite limitations of reality. Nothing can save us if we gently caress up the Earth.

(Also, more people should read Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora.)

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Eiba posted:

Totally agreeing with this, one of my favourite books of the last couple years.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

This is kind of a tangent, but one thing I really appreciate about more recent Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars trillogy guy), is his emphasis that... if the Earth is hosed, we're hosed. We can't escape.

Even in the Expanse world (to keep this from getting too off topic), humanity is still entirely dependent on Earth's biological resources. Sure there's plenty of minerals out there, but we're learning more and more that ecologies are what we need, not elements. And those are far more complicated than you'd imagine.

Sure, with the Earth as our base of operations we can sustain human civilization across the solar system, but we can never replace it. Mars can't be terraformed in a lifetime. It's a project that might take thousands of years. Nowhere else is remotely set up to support a biosphere. Even massive space habitats would represent only a tiny fraction of Earth's biological resources, and as we've seen whenever we've tried to mess with that kind of stuff, that will cause problems.

tl;dr: Sci-fi dreams of infinite possibilities are hosed up if they make us forget the finite limitations of reality. Nothing can save us if we gently caress up the Earth.

So we need to develop space yogurt and we're good, awesome

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We could totally build a civilization in big orbiting O'Neil cylinders, the theory is all sound and we even have the tech to do most of it right now. I'm sure there's be unexpected engineering and biological hurdles though. Biospheres get easier the bigger they are, but even a huge 10x2km tube or what ever is a spec compared to the earth. And even if we had thousands of pairs of tubes in orbit that were stable and self-sufficient, the earth will always be a treasure for its biodiversity. Everything in space will be a very simple "life web" or what ever entirely devoted to supporting humans and nothing else. Does it make air? Can we eat it? If not, we're probably not going to go to much trouble getting it rooted up in space with us. And yeah, terraforming mars is a pipe dream even with like 500 years from now super tech. It's going to be space tubes all the way down.

What I think the interesting question is how space resources will be distributed. Will they be used to make earth a paradise and clean up the environment as most all heavy industry and resource gathering is done in space, or will space go all FYGM and build their own paradise while earth becomes obsolete for anything other than biology and tourism. Or will space be oppressed and used to prop up an ever-expanding earth, addicted to them space resources? I think it would really depend on the political and economic situation in the future.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

e: eh ignore this post :v:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONBWBj9LnXQ
Adam Savage explores the Rocinante with a 360° camera. This sounds pretty awesome but it's not available in Canada, has anyone been able to find an international mirror that works with the 360°?

• Locked thread