Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Because he was using the term white flight to complain about Asians coming in and displacing poor whites.

What I meant was, why is it specifically Asians driving the gentrification when the economic demographic in question is still dominated by white people? Why aren't richer white people replacing the poor ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Tarezax posted:

What I meant was, why is it specifically Asians driving the gentrification when the economic demographic in question is still dominated by white people? Why aren't richer white people replacing the poor ones?

Why do recent immigrant groups choose to settle together in communities basically everywhere throughout history? Is this seriously a thing that needs to be debated in the Cali thread?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Tarezax posted:

But why specifically Asians when white people still make up a majority of that field?

My last company used a Fremont contract manufacturer and it was a straight up sweatshop. Full of Chinese immigrants grinding out pcb assemblies. It made me very uncomfortable when I had to visit for whatever reason.

Not all tech jobs are glamorous.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Family Values posted:

Why do recent immigrant groups choose to settle together in communities basically everywhere throughout history? Is this seriously a thing that needs to be debated in the Cali thread?

He's asking why, if it was gentrification, no rich white people moved into the gentrified areas, only Asians.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a really good question that doesn't actually have to be answered by random forums posters, in order for them to maintain that as commonly used, "white flight" isn't just about white people leaving an area... it's about the aforementioned blight that the nonwhite people left behind are plunged into. The main factor there is that, historically and still today, nonwhite Americans are disproportionately poorer than white Americans, so that when the majority of the white residents leave, those communities left behind are plunged into poverty as they lose their tax base. It's compounded by the disproportionately white government agencies traditionally turning a blind eye or outright punishing nonwhite communities with unfair or worsening or punishing policy decisions.

Once you understand that "white flight" refers to all of those things as a package, you can get that yeah, something odd happened in Fremont... but was it a bad thing? Even if white people left because of racism, the result hasn't been blight and racist government policy, it's been a city experiencing decades of economic improvement and growth, rapidly rising property values, etc. The racism itself may still be worthy of note, and even action (if there's anything we can do about the racism of white people fleeing neighborhoods that they perceive as becoming less white, we probably should), but lumping Fremont's experience into the category of "white flight" isn't really accurate or helpful.

It's also not really worth having an argument about, because whether or not you call what happened in Fremont "white flight" or something else, you're only arguing about the label. Instead how about spell out explicitly what injustice has been done in Fremont, specifically, and let's not worry about what the label is. If anyone still wants to talk about it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He's asking why, if it was gentrification, no rich white people moved into the gentrified areas, only Asians.

I am not really sure if it would be considered white flight or gentrification, it feels like there is just a lack of non-Asian replenishment. All the people that bought houses for 60k in the 70's and 80's are now 70 years old and just dying out or taking their money and retiring somewhere cheaper, and there is no reason for engineer Smith to move there when he could have a better commute to most places from Redwood City or San Mateo. I think Fremont (especially Warm Springs/Mission) has an "Asian" premium built into the price that rich white people see no reason to pay, but Asians will pay so grandma has people to block aisles at Costco talk to with and just for the more familiar community, since a significant portion are first generation. I am sure if there was some English speaking city in China full of white people, a disproportionate amount of white people would move there, even if it cost more. I just had a Chinese coworker move to Fremont, paying more for a smaller house and increasing his commute 1 hour each way, for no reason other than to live in Fremont. Fremont has a fairly crappy commute anywhere, and no real downtown or amenities, so if you have enough money to drop 1.2m or whatever on a 1700sqft house, why would you choose there when you get more bang for your buck almost everywhere else. I can walk to like 30 restaurants in the peninsula burbs, my parents still live in Fremont and they stopped going out just because who wants to get on the freeway just to go to PF Changs or Claimjumpers.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 17, 2016

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

My last company used a Fremont contract manufacturer and it was a straight up sweatshop. Full of Chinese immigrants grinding out pcb assemblies. It made me very uncomfortable when I had to visit for whatever reason.

Not all tech jobs are glamorous.

Is there any demographic info on silicon valley tech companies in general? I'm curious how closely my perception matches reality.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not really sure if it would be considered white flight or gentrification, it feels like there is just a lack of non-Asian replenishment. All the people that bought houses for 60k in the 70's and 80's are now 70 years old and just dying out or taking their money and retiring somewhere cheaper, and there is no reason for engineer Smith to move there when he could have a better commute to most places from Redwood City or San Mateo. I think Fremont (especially Warm Springs/Mission) has an "Asian" premium built into the price that rich white people see no reason to pay, but Asians will pay so grandma has people to block aisles at Costco talk to with and just for the more familiar community, since a significant portion are first generation. I am sure if there was some English speaking city in China full of white people, a disproportionate amount of white people would move there, even if it cost more. I just had a Chinese coworker move to Fremont, paying more for a smaller house and increasing his commute 1 hour each way, for no reason other than to live in Fremont. Fremont has a fairly crappy commute anywhere, and no real downtown or amenities, so if you have enough money to drop 1.2m or whatever on a 1700sqft house, why would you choose there when you get more bang for your buck almost everywhere else. I can walk to like 30 restaurants in the peninsula burbs, my parents still live in Fremont and they stopped going out just because who wants to get on the freeway just to go to PF Changs or Claimjumpers.

This is the kind of perspective I was looking for, thanks.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey, Fremont has a downtown, it's just very oddly located and not very developed :D

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Fremont is cool and good and I enjoyed the time I lived there. Downtown San Jose sucked balls in comparison, what with fire trucks roaring down seventh street multiple times a day and getting screamed at by random homeless people.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Good post. This is what I meant with recent immigrants settling together. There are other factors, like shops and services that specifically serve immigrants. Second and especially third generation descendants will choose to spread out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not really sure if it would be considered white flight or gentrification, it feels like there is just a lack of non-Asian replenishment. All the people that bought houses for 60k in the 70's and 80's are now 70 years old and just dying out or taking their money and retiring somewhere cheaper, and there is no reason for engineer Smith to move there when he could have a better commute to most places from Redwood City or San Mateo.
Hahahahaha. Have you looked at housing prices in Redwood City or San Mateo? Seriously? Redwood City in particular has poured big money into refurbishing its downtown, and is now a corporate hub with companies like Box and the Stanford auxiliary medical campus. People aren't living in Fremont because they're too cheap to live on the Peninsula. They're living in Fremont because they can't afford the Peninsula.

Also, San Mateo remains a significant hub for Asian-Americans, with both a furniture and a florist committed to the needs of Asian-American customers, although they'll happily take anybody's money. It's a hotbed of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, ... restaurants.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, San Mateo remains a significant hub for Asian-Americans, with both a furniture and a florist committed to the needs of Asian-American customers, although they'll happily take anybody's money. It's a hotbed of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, ... restaurants.

Hey, don't forget the Mongolion and Thai places too! Downtown San Mateo is amazing for food and pretty much nothing else. It's also amazingly expensive to live here - houses commonly go up for 2 mil+ near the schools. I haven't looked at Fremont prices, but I suspect they are just a bit cheaper than that on average.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol at the fremont library, i've tutored chinese kids whose parents pushed carts at 99 ranch, vietnamese kids whose breadwinner is a laundromat owner, and sikh kids whose parents drive taxis, but sure i'll get in touch with em and tell them they're gentrifiers because a few aggrieved white bay area goons wagging their fingers at those people moving in said so

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Refried Hero posted:

Hey, don't forget the Mongolion and Thai places too! Downtown San Mateo is amazing for food and pretty much nothing else. It's also amazingly expensive to live here - houses commonly go up for 2 mil+ near the schools. I haven't looked at Fremont prices, but I suspect they are just a bit cheaper than that on average.

Newark is a bit better for house prices. We've been looking up there, but it's still pricey, just less ridiculous then Redwood City or Fremont.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol at the fremont library, i've tutored chinese kids whose parents pushed carts at 99 ranch, vietnamese kids whose breadwinner is a laundromat owner, and sikh kids whose parents drive taxis, but sure i'll get in touch with em and tell them they're gentrifiers because a few aggrieved white bay area goons wagging their fingers at those people moving in said so

You can't just say an area isn't gentrified because you anecdotally know working class people living there.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Goddam do they like to gently caress or what

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Despite having been displaced from airports by unworthy upstarts, I'm glad to see Brooks Brothers still has a place in this country.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Shbobdb posted:

Despite having been displaced from airports by unworthy upstarts, I'm glad to see Brooks Brothers still has a place in this country.

You should have seen their Florida tour in 2000.

It was a riot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Instant Sunrise posted:

You should have seen their Florida tour in 2000.

It was a riot.

I believe it.

You are nothing until you are something.

<insert something here>

You've got to be somebody's baby!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pelosi has five kids. Presumably the photo includes lots of her kids' spouses and their kids.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

Pelosi has five kids. Presumably the photo includes lots of her kids' spouses and their kids.

Counterpoint: Mormonism was big in California and secret Mormons still run the show.

Edit: The post-Trump Wikipedia article on Secret Jews is Stormfront level poo poo so my joke is no longer funny.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 22, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Counterpoint: Mormonism was big in California and secret Mormons still run the show.

She's a catholic from a very catholic family and went to catholic school and married a catholic man. She's got a big family because, Catholic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

She's a catholic from a very catholic family and went to catholic school and married a catholic man. She's got a big family because, Catholic.

Despite my edit, I have to ask, are you anti-Catholic? Because I've been banned for much less. Holy loving poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What?

What in my post gave you even the tiniest impression of that? The Roman Catholic Church continues to maintain its ban on birth control. Consequently, many Catholic families have a lot of kids. That's not an opinion or a condemnation or anything, it's just a fact. So, probably Pelosi has so many children because she's Catholic.

I voted for her at least twice while I was living in San Francisco and if I was still there, I'd vote for her some more.

e. Like, I'm genuinely shocked that you thought my post was remotely negative. Do you think it's wrong to point out that Catholics often have large families???

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

I have Catholic friends, they just can't contain their carnal desire!

WTF?

I've always figured you were pretty much the worst but holy loving poo poo!

Tell me more about the Catholic scourge on our land!

Edit:

Leperflesh posted:

I voted for Barack Hussein Obama! I can't be racist!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

Like, I'm genuinely shocked that you thought my post was remotely negative. Do you think it's wrong to point out that Catholics often have large families???

Insofar as it is a hateful stereotype . . . yeah?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what the gently caress is wrong with you

are you drunk?

having large families is not a hateful stereotype

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yes, the fecundity of Irish, Italian and Mexicans have never been a major argument for racists against them.

WTF?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

are you drunk?

Eating watermelons is not a hateful stereotype

gently caress you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wanna point out here that your response to her having a large family was "LOL secret mormons." Do you think it's terrible that Mormons also often have large families?

Fecundity is not in question; as I mentioned before, many Catholics all over the world continue to obey the Catholic Church's ban on all forms of birth control besides the rhythm method. As an immediate and measurable consequence, Catholic families are statistically larger than the families of most other religious groups.

I do not know for a fact whether or not Pelosi does or did use birth control, and I don't care either way.

If I've said anything wrong, at worst it's that I attempted to defend her from this kind of bullshit

withak posted:

Goddam do they like to gently caress or what

by pointing out her religion, when in actual fact having a large family does not require any defense, it's fine. But really I was just pointing out to you that she wasn't a Mormon, because (prior to your edit) it seemed as though you were accusing her of being secretly Mormon - with the implication that that would be terrible, probably because it's terrible how those drat Mormons have all those kids, amirite?

Don't turn this on me, dude.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

gently caress you.

You have the perfect avatar and title.

Nobody is saying that Catholics are a scourge. Many Catholics having larger families than average is something widely acknowledged in the Catholic communities I've been around, and I don't think I've ever heard any of them refer to it as a hateful stereotype.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is me:
"Black people on average are more likely to carry the sickle cell anemia trait"

this is you:

"ARGH gently caress YOU YOU RACIST HOW DARE YOU"

this is me:

"About one in four women report having been the victims of sexual assault or rape at some point in their lives"

you:

"YOU SEXIST rear end in a top hat gently caress YOU"

me:

"here is a fact about a group that might explain something we're talking about"

you:

"I'll assume you only mentioned that fact because you're a bigot, despite absolutely no evidence of that, and then attack you viciously for it"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I mean, it's not like Catholic strongholds like France, Ireland and Italy have higher contraceptive use than the "average" American (which I guess means "Protestant").

I like how rather than just accepting criticism, you are doubling down and then searching through my post history to find incriminating remarks. It's almost like you don't want to engage in your own anti-Catholic bias and instead want to try and flip it around and somehow make me the bigot.

I'll give you: it's a proven strategy. According to the American Media, the only real racists are Jesse Jackson Jr, Al Sharpton and any other black person that might have ever said anything bad against a white person.

Kudos. You "win" the rhetorical battle. I hope you've got those sheets nice and bleached for the march!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

This is me:
"Look at this black dude on dialysis. LOL!"

this is you:

"ARGH gently caress YOU YOU RACIST HOW DARE YOU"

this is me:

"Look at this outfit she was wearing when she was "so-called" raped."

you:

"YOU SEXIST rear end in a top hat gently caress YOU"

me:

"Scientific racism as well as more applied disciplines such as phrenology let me classify Pelosi and her family as skull types IV-VIb."

you:

"I'll assume you only mentioned that fact because you're a bigot, despite absolutely no evidence of that, and then attack you viciously for it"

Edit:

I am loving LOVING all the "I have Catholic friends and they joke about this stuff!" posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, please continue to edit my non-racist comments into racist ones, as if that proves anything.

I did not go looking through your post history, either, I don't know where you got that idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Edit:

I am loving LOVING all the "I have Catholic friends and they joke about this stuff!" posts.

Please quote a single one of those posts, because I don't see any.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, please continue to edit my non-racist comments into racist ones, as if that proves anything.

I did not go looking through your post history, either, I don't know where you got that idea.

It proves someone is drunk on a Wednesday.

Your reading comprehension is clearly inhibited :shrug:
\/

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

Please quote a single one of those posts, because I don't see any.