Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump
Jan 19, 2006

About 5 hours a week commuting, and about 0-15 hours for work depending on what I'm doing. I visit Arran, Jura (via Islay) and Uist once a month so I that is at least at least 4.5 hours sitting in my car waiting to board boats every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the weather forecast for this week... is really similar to the forecast this time last year, right down to a very strong chance of storms on Christmas (last year it was the day after).

You know... when all those tornados decided to have more touchdowns in the DFW region than the Cowboys had that year. And I'm less than a mile from where the worst of them (EF4 wedge) hit.

Lightning only strikes the same place once, right guys? :shepicide:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, but tornados will gently caress a place up twice because they think its funny. (Stay safe texas ghost)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
well uh you see about that

quote:

The old saying that 'lightning never strikes the same place twice' is another myth that any veteran storm observer or researcher has seen nature defy. Lightning can strike any location more than once. In fact, given enough time, it is actually inevitable.

but you knew that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Given storms usually track via similar pathsover time, lightning striking in the same place is actually quite likely

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I probably spend about 30 minutes in my own car on any given work week but much longer if it's a week off and I go for a trip somewhere. Slept in the back of my landcruiser on Sunday this week, spent 12+ hours driving it Sunday/Monday too.
On an average work week probably spend maybe 2-4 hours a day in a work Hilux driving, depending what I'm doing and where I'm working.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, work trucks are excluded. Because if not I could say an honest 38-60 hours a week in my ambulance.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tracking to be 40 degrees here in Adelaide on Christmas day. Thats 104 in moon units.

Then boxing day and the day after are 29/31 with 10-35mm of rain each day! Humidity ahoy!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blk posted:

How much time would you guys say you spend in your car(s) per week?
Work is 25-30 minutes each way so just commuting is 5 hours a week plus another say hour or two for running errands and other crap.

Trying to do one day a week in the 320i and one in the Courier to keep them running and happy. Courier keeps popping headlight fuses, need to look at that one of these days. Feel kind of bad starting up the 320i at 5:30am since it isn't quiet so I usually reserve that for errands or driving in on Friday.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ferremit posted:

Tracking to be 40 degrees here in Adelaide on Christmas day. Thats 104 in moon units.

Then boxing day and the day after are 29/31 with 10-35mm of rain each day! Humidity ahoy!

Will you be drinking white wine in the sun?

As far as lighting goes we've had structures at work that have been hit repeatedly and blown up instrumentation. It's not a lot of electricity per-se but it's the rapid dv/dt.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 22, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Three-Phase posted:

As far as lighting goes we've had structures at work that have been hit repeatedly and blown up instrumentation. It's not a lot of electricity per-se but it's the rapid dv/dt.

So if you gradually ramped up from zero to lightning bolt voltage it'd be fine? :haw:

5-6 hours in a normal week, assuming no long trips or call-ins.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

So if you gradually ramped up from zero to lightning bolt voltage it'd be fine? :haw:
I dunno about that exactly, but on the utility side, the damage is from the massive amount of magnetic energy imposed. So, literal physical kinetic damage.

I saw the aftermath of a lightning storm at a church, the meterbase was smoked and we had several parking lot lights that fed underground from it. The wire going up the pole was regular 10-2UG, and where it exits the underground pipe we staple the wire about every 6" going up the pole.

...in between every staple, the neutral was blown out of the outer jacket and bowed out in a 'U' shape. It was as if the opposite magnetic force between the conductors forced them apart violently, and the wire held its shape in that form.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Lightning strikes are millions of Volts at tens of thousands of Amps. Overvoltage is a huge issue that fucks poo poo up because lol rated Voltage of components and internal arcing and poo poo, but holy poo poo 30,000 Amps is a LOOOOOOTTTT of heat even at small Voltage. It'll burn up poo poo quick.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Hey, apropos of nothing, who's the Canadian guy with the hilarious accent on YouTube who fixes junkers and is a genius?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, I have a dilemma.

My winter beater is a 1997 Volvo 850. 2.4L five-cylinder naturally aspirated engine, 5-speed manual, 147k miles. Exterior is beat to poo poo but the interior is decent. I've owned it for seven and a half years. The timing belt will be due in a year (due to time, not mileage). Mechanically it's in really good shape. I just bought an extra set of wheels with studded snow tires on it. It needs a front right CV boot and the stereo has a drain that kills the battery if I don't pull the fuse when I park it. Not a big deal.

A friend just told me he's selling his 2003 Subaru Outback wagon. 187k miles, also 5-speed. Decent shape. $1700.

If I get the Subaru I need to get rid of the Volvo. I'm happy with the Volvo but man, AWD and a wagon... though I think he said it might need a new clutch in the somewhat near future.

Thoughts?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

A friend just told me he's selling his 2003 Subaru Outback wagon. 187k miles, also 5-speed. Decent shape. $1700.

If I get the Subaru I need to get rid of the Volvo. I'm happy with the Volvo but man, AWD and a wagon... though I think he said it might need a new clutch in the somewhat near future.

Thoughts?

Why not keep both? I mean, the Subaru will last but at 187k its going to need maintenance soon, at least a timing belt at 200k, if not some other engine repairs. Box of Knocks, and all.

To be honest, your Volvo will probably outlast that Subaru.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The problem with a new beater is that you're not used to it. You don't know when the last time the fluids/belts/etc were changed, you don't know what annoying small things are broken or need work, you don't know its noises and how it acts in all conditions. That all takes time to learn. Is it worth switching one beater for another beater with negligible difference? You've already got Winter tires, which will be more capable than an AWD car on all seasons, and within 20% of AWD with Winter tires.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

The problem with a new beater is that you're not used to it. You don't know when the last time the fluids/belts/etc were changed, you don't know what annoying small things are broken or need work, you don't know its noises and how it acts in all conditions. That all takes time to learn. Is it worth switching one beater for another beater with negligible difference? You've already got Winter tires, which will be more capable than an AWD car on all seasons, and within 20% of AWD with Winter tires.

This is true. Beaters should be parallel, not serial.

A 2003 is a single-slammer EJ25 so at least if the head gaskets are bad it's not terminal. Maybe you can pull the engine to do the clutch and take care of everything in one shot.

Would definitely do a drivetrain test by driving in tight circles in a parking lot and see if it hitches like a 4x4 truck when you do tight turns, because that means the centre diff is hosed. I'd probably also pull the oil cap and check for blow-by at idle, which might indicate clogged PCV (best case) or hosed rings (my case).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 22, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Why not keep both? I mean, the Subaru will last but at 187k its going to need maintenance soon, at least a timing belt at 200k, if not some other engine repairs. Box of Knocks, and all.

To be honest, your Volvo will probably outlast that Subaru.

My wife says four cars is the limit. I thought about buying the Subaru and keeping it in storage, but that just sounds like a bad idea.

I've been friends with the guy selling it for years, and know the history pretty well. I've helped him work on it many times, and just a few days ago, right before he decided to sell it, I replaced the positive battery terminal for him. So it wouldn't be an unknown, but it hasn't been mine and I don't know it's quirks.

I just don't know how a 2003 Outback with 187k miles would compare to a 1997 850 with 147k miles, all else being the same.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd stick with the Volvo honestly, there's no good reason to ditch the Volvo for a car that's not substantially better in any particular way. Save your money for nitrous.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I'd stick with the Volvo honestly, there's no good reason to ditch the Volvo for a car that's not substantially better in any particular way. Save your money for nitrous.

That's kind of the way I was leaning.

A cheap AWD wagon with a 5-speed is just so tempting, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm just going to echo this: Subarus are awesome. But they will need more maintenance than the Volvo inline 5, and will wear out faster.

Stick with the Volvo.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

How much time would you guys say you spend in your car(s) per week?

12-15 hours depending errands. 10+ of that is commuting. loving Seattle traffic made buying a new(boring) family cruiser way too easy over something like the GTI I was lusting over

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I spend about 7 hours a week in the car including errands. My commuting occupies about 5 hours weekly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is the guy who runs the ads on SA for "the worst things for sale" blog a goon?

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/worst-things-for-sale-on-amazon-a-guide-to-horrible-holiday-junk-gifts/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

quote:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes

That bumblefuck is going to get us all killed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He's already moved on to contradicting himself in the same tweet.

Time to stock up on Radaway and Nuka Cola.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seminal Flu posted:

That bumblefuck is going to get us all killed.

Thhhhank you dear USA for losing your collective loving minds electing that orange twat

I think I'll be saying that a lot in the next four years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thhhhank you dear USA for losing your collective loving minds electing that orange twat

I think I'll be saying that a lot in the next four years.

You welcome!

racist cheeto

The jerk I voted for didnt win..... yet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Time to stock up on Radaway and Nuka Cola.
Back off my poo poo, smoothskin.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hey, apropos of nothing, who's the Canadian guy with the hilarious accent on YouTube who fixes junkers and is a genius?

Arduino versus Evil or AvE? Or are you thinking a different guy?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cold War Motors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m081XUTMiXk

quote:

Another Financial Flat-Spin as Funding Decimated Again in FCD Fuckstorm

CWMC Cold Storage Bunker #3, Ardrossan, Ab: If there was only one rule in the entire vast and hugely varied spectrum of the automotive universe, it would read:

Never Buy a Rough SM.

" 'Never buy a rough SM' was actually the 9th commandment..." said FCD heavyweight and fellow Citroenthusiast Agent 9088 today in a telephone interview from his lavish winter retreat in Cannes where he was last seen partying with Keith and Jack aboard Johnny Depp's yacht, drinking 1962 Richebourg out of paper bags and shooting safety flares at passing tourists, "...until it was changed at the last minute to 'Thou shalt not covet', which is, of course, pretty much impossible, and therefore much better for business."
"Speaking of coveting, that's a sweet SM you have there... "

Breaking the needle off the "Run-Away"-meter.

Agents from all the other Divisions have been crippling the ancient switch- board with angry telephonic tirades, mostly bemoaning the inevitable slashing of their own expenses as the event horizon of the budgetary black-hole that accompanies SM ownership annihilates everything in its path.
Even Satan, in town to attend the climate-change summit just for chuckles, has been leaving multiple messages on the Presidential answering machine...

"Beep"

"Whoa, that's a seriously fuckin' bad idea, man; I mean, you should really think about what you're doing there, hey? That is a pretty irrational thing, you know? Like, I've talked some people into some hosed-up poo poo before, but an SM? A rough SM, in a field? Are you kidding? I can't even watch."

A 100-metre test drive was deemed sufficient.

The SM, resplen- dent(ed) in a rusty-matte-grey and black-poplar-residue -crud finish that pundits are suggesting may have been silver back when the SM owners club had names like Chong, Brezhnev and Hailwood on the register, actually ventured out of its northern-boreal-forest home after some minor ministration from FCD Chairman Agent 747, dragging it's flat rear tires like a wounded deer, revving hard and digging some nice trenches in the soft tundra in a manner only somewhat inconsistent with the dignity implied in the car's pedigree.
Witnesses from the French Auto Recovery Team were unsure whether to cheer the repeated attempts to crest the final hill or look away in horror; F.A.R.T. Agents in various states of redneckness smoked monstrous joints and drank heavily-fortified double-doubles and shoved the once-graceful GT towards freedom, pausing only occasionally to ask what all of the green oil was that trailed the cavalcade of Franco-Italian corruption as it inched forward to the trailer procured for the Operation.

"Beep"

Prime parking in Cold Storage Bunker #4.

"Hey, it's Satan again, buddy. I just wanted you to really think about what you're doing here. People care about you, you know? We have some good times, right? I mean, do you really think you're going to be the guy that can daily a cheap SM? It's impossible. I mean, I'm pretty crafty and all, but if you think I'm going to help you change the growly input-shaft thrust-bearing on this thing, you're really off the rails. Not for a thousand souls, buddy. And don't think God will come to your rescue, either. I don't think He even has a 9mm offset-stubby ratcheting-flare-wrench... You're on your own here, man."

Luckily, Agent 747 will happily go there for a reasonable hourly-rate. While Beelzebub retreated, blubbering at the prospect of rebuilding the clutch-slave cylinder, Agent 747 calmly relayed the secret procedure in stark, mostly unambiguous language...

"Thou shalt undo that bunch of wires over there, and those bunches there, too.
Thou must then loosen all these lovely little 7mm bolts over here and here..."
ok... "Thou shalt then undo all of these clampy-things on this side of this bracket here. Whenst thou hast removed the Fender, thou may layeth thine eyes upon the ancient and most holy location of the slave cylinder. Here, thou shalt perhaps make an offering in the form of a quiche or perhaps just a nice glass of red..."

And so on for several weeks.

The President, chaining Export Plains from a tattered box of Gualoises and making unsilenced Weber sounds, has not moved from behind the wheel in several days as the French Car Sickness reaches it's terminal phase. All attempts to divert his attention from the 70's futurist dreamscape he now inhabits have met only with muttered mantras of "gotta check the chain tension... don't forget to upgrade the exhaust valves... that big dent in the side will probably just kick out..." etc. All Agents are encouraged to stop in and offer their congratulations or, in the case of Agent 1080, condolences.

Agent 1080 could literally barely contain himself.
In yet another not-very-shocking turn of events, the FCD has managed to procure a long-sought-after Renault R5; delivered, no less, by Agent 9088 himself. Straight from the personal collection of last year's ACOTY winner, the R5 was driven through the mountains to its new prairie home at nothing-to-lose velocity. With both parties prepared to walk away if any malfunction more serious than "low washer fluid" should sideline "Operation Time to Tidy up the Yard", a thorough 1000 km stress-test kept everyone honest for a refreshing change. The President, only somewhat overwhelmed by multiple rounds of VBRs treated Agents and passers-by alike to an evening of impromptu test-drives, showcasing the R5's penchant for Costa-Concordia-esque roll angles while inventing Gallic-sounding superlatives to describe the driving experience. A full cosmetic refresh is in the cards; but then, isn't it always?

"Beep"

"Dude. Satan. Am I reading this right? A LeCar? Dude, you need to sell it to me right away; so awesome... Call me."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That would be AvE, I bet:
http://youtube.com/channel/UChWv6Pn_zP0rI6lgGt3MyfA

edit, fixed forum URL mangling after CSB caught it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 23, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://youtube.com/channel/UChWv6Pn_zP0rI6lgGt3MyfA

fixed.

gently caress yeah road trip!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Trump is already talking tariffs. Either they are going straight to waivering US companies in China, or they are literally going to crash the US Economy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Trump is already talking tariffs. Either they are going straight to waivering US companies in China, or they are literally going to crash the US Economy.

But the crash is going to be terrific. The best people will say that it's great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So what you're saying here is 2017 may very well be worse than 2016?

:crossarms:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

12-15 hours depending errands. 10+ of that is commuting. loving Seattle traffic made buying a new(boring) family cruiser way too easy over something like the GTI I was lusting over

What'd you end up with?

I've been considering replacing my NA with a NC but I'm realizing what I really want to do is replace my Saabaru with a NC. Then my wife would be the only one with a family car, though, and that feels irresponsible.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am going to start looking for a non-boring car and get into something exciting soon. I will be selling my E36 M3 which is currently sharing daily driving duties with my wife's old Mazda 6i (the beater). My plan for the last few years has been to find a red or blue E90 M3 and I am now on the threshold of doing that thing. I am now finding myself looking and questioning the thought of getting a Porsche instead, specifically a 996 chassis 911. Incredibly affordable and by all accounts people sing their praises outside of :kingsley: IMS :kingsley: and something about pinning the coolant lines. Most cars I have seen all have documentation with the IMS/RMS service already being done. Some hate their head lights but I don't think they look that bad when combined with an aero pack.

I think what it comes down to is I don't know if I am ready to be seen by others as a Porsche owner (family, neighbors, co-workers). The E90 M3 would be a bit more understated in styling, etc which at my age (31) I think might be a little better than someone thinking I am some sort of twat-waffle in a Porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think what it comes down to is I don't know if I am ready to be seen by others as a Porsche owner (family, neighbors, co-workers). The E90 M3 would be a bit more understated in styling, etc which at my age (31) I think might be a little better than someone thinking I am some sort of twat-waffle in a Porsche.

Get the Porsche, BMW owners are way bigger douchebags.

• Locked thread