Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
yeah i dont totally buy it either. great chapter. those last few panels were so striking, the artwork for this entire arc has had some absolutely amazing high points, im not good at critiquing visual art so i can't put it into words well but it feels like oda is trying some different stuff at times, with the last page of this chapter, the chapter that ended with sanji and pudding hugging and a particularly memorable one to me, when luffy was fighting the army on his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Whatever happened to Sanji and and Violet from Dressrosa? Didn't she legit like him and vice versa?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

A hebi (snake) and Smoker

At least that was explaining the pun. The rest of the chapter makes me want to smack whoever wrote it. The only thing it was missing was "nakama."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a fantastic chapter and I love it so much. I assume the bear mink was Bepo's dad or brother or something? All this new stuff that just makes me so curious what's going to happen next! Shounen Jump is on a roll this week; MHA, One Piece, and Souma were all superb.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm guessing Big Mom was going to betray Germa and Pudding knew she was key to achieving that, but is playing up her part and pretending to be an enthusiastic participant so she can disrupt the wedding and save Sanji without Big Mom knowing that Pudding deliberately betrayed her.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 22, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm interested in seeing what Capone's plan is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well this sure has been the Year of Sanji, huh.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

At least that was explaining the pun. The rest of the chapter makes me want to smack whoever wrote it. The only thing it was missing was "nakama."

What's the joke? :confused:

Also, holy Jesus gently caress Pedro!!! :gibs::magical:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's a hebi Smoker.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, holy Jesus gently caress Pedro!!! :gibs::magical:

Hebi = snake, hebii = heavy

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I called Pudding being TOO nice.

Also Egg guy being cut in two and having a yolk inside :stare:

This arc is good stuff and Luffy being the voice of reason.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pureauthor posted:

It's a hebi Smoker.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Hebi = snake, hebii = heavy

Oh! Now I get it! :downs:

That's terrible.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Now here's the thing... This would absolutely get Sanji out of the situation he's in. By turning Germa and Big Mom against each other, the wedding would be cancelled and Sanji would be free to continue with the Strawhats So the question becomes... who's being played here? The audience or the characters?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, I can not wait for this wedding.

The only problem with the Pudding reveal is that we saw her thinking about Lola, which in conjunction with other Pudding alone panels means there's something else going on here. Unless she's full method acting, or, has legit split personality based on how many eyes are open.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I think she is faking it and trying to force a gap between Sanji and herself so he will hate her and not regret leaving her/getting the hell out of there after she ruins the wedding. We've already gotten scenes of her alone contemplating what she is going to do and building herself up for this. There is no reason to show us that inner turmoil if it was faked because it'd make no sense for her to be conflicted in the first place if she was acting (unless her third eye let's her break the fourth wall and she was trying to trick the reader as well)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I did not consider Pudding DOUBLE FAKING and playing us the readers. I think that might be a little more than what One Piece is all about but it would interesting none the less.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

yeah i dont totally buy it either. great chapter. those last few panels were so striking, the artwork for this entire arc has had some absolutely amazing high points, im not good at critiquing visual art so i can't put it into words well but it feels like oda is trying some different stuff at times, with the last page of this chapter, the chapter that ended with sanji and pudding hugging and a particularly memorable one to me, when luffy was fighting the army on his own

I agree, Oda's been reaching some legendary artist-tier mastery over his art. There's something really special in the spirit you can just feel reading it. :allears:

e: That panoramic view of the Sanji vs Luffy fields was utterly phenomenal. I can't wait to see the art near the end! :neckbeard:

Also, it seems like a big theme of the New World is being so determined to reach your goals you're willing to sacrifice your limbs to reach it. I guess this is how Luffy will get the eyepatch Oda's been teasing us about since the beginning of One Piece.

I mean, Shanks and Blackbeard make comments about Shanks's scar a lot and Shanks losing his arm was the big motivating event for Luffy to become a pirate and it's in the first drat chapter along with Haki to boot. I think scars and loss are going to end up playing a big thematic role towards the end of One Piece in the same way that trauma characterizes the distant past for main characters.

This will be riveting to follow as we get more into Reverie and Wano. Maybe Dragon is calling up all of his forces to crash Reverie and hold the leaders of the world hostage? They are all going to be gathered in one place, after all...

Man, this is exciting! :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 22, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

I think she is faking it and trying to force a gap between Sanji and herself so he will hate her and not regret leaving her/getting the hell out of there after she ruins the wedding. We've already gotten scenes of her alone contemplating what she is going to do and building herself up for this. There is no reason to show us that inner turmoil if it was faked because it'd make no sense for her to be conflicted in the first place if she was acting (unless her third eye let's her break the fourth wall and she was trying to trick the reader as well)

Yeah, that's how I read the situation, too.

And as far as drastic actions go, this is pretty drat drastic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just noticed but are Nami and Luffy literally nailed to the wall??

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No, they're pinned to the page.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It's a magic pin holding them. Otherwise Luffy could just stretch the hole in his hand and slip it off the nail.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ok I was just wondering if Oda had Nami getting something literally nailed through her hands which seemed pretty rough, but then I remembered she already got her feet impaled back in Alabaster.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Expected but unexpected? I think we're being played again.

Also if her third eye grants her any sort of vision/sensing benefit she could KNOW that Sanji was on the other side of the door so she could put on her big act.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

It's a magic pin holding them. Otherwise Luffy could just stretch the hole in his hand and slip it off the nail.

It's possible he still could but hasn't thought of it/is unable due to his hands being pinned together.

Nice that he's going full Zoro in an effort to help out Sanji though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Expected but unexpected? I think we're being played again.

Also if her third eye grants her any sort of vision/sensing benefit she could KNOW that Sanji was on the other side of the door so she could put on her big act.

Yeah.

She may be scheming with Reiju to deceive him. Notice how Reiju is not saying anything. Maybe pudding found her injured and was helping her, but then Sanji showed up and she just told her to play along. I think Reiju may genuinely want to help Sanji escape his family again as well.

I really hate doing all this theorizing based purely on the logic of "it's too obvious to be true". You just know Oda is doing it on purpose.

Edit: woop forgot to spoiler. Hope no one looked :ohdear:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oda also likes villains being super evil assholes that gloat and then get their deserved comeuppance in the form of a beat down.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radish posted:

Oda also likes villains being super evil assholes that gloat and then get their deserved comeuppance in the form of a beat down.

Does this mean yet another fight between Sanji and Luffy because Luffy has no qualms over hitting women but Sanji does? Or will this break Sanji's rule of not hitting women?

This honestly the most fretful question of all on my mind... :ohdear:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Asuron posted:

I'm not sure. I mean why tell anyone and not just let it happen, why attack Reiju who was going to let the wedding happen. It makes no sense. I feel like this is some sort of ploy to get the Germa to back out of the alliance and free Sanji, because if Reiju escaped there's no way in hell they go through with this. Plus Big Mom has kept all her wedding alliances in the past, why back out of this one now? I just feel something is very off with this reveal, because her actions make no sense.

Also Mangastreams transalation is atrocious this week with all that excessive swearing.
Remember Reiju isnt like the rest of them. she's just going along with their whims

I am sure its because Reiju heard them talking somewhere or heard something she shouldnt have got caught and attacked. escaped for a little while and then was captured by pudding.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah come on Nami, just rip off your hands. Sheesh, what a wimp.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Brandfarlig posted:

Everyone is doing it geez.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Does this mean yet another fight between Sanji and Luffy because Luffy has no qualms over hitting women but Sanji does? Or will this break Sanji's rule of not hitting women?

This honestly the most fretful question of all on my mind... :ohdear:

Luffy won't either because SHONEN. If anything it will be Sanji's sister that beats up Pudding if she turns out to be straight evil.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really hope this translator is never allowed to translate again, the excessive cursing is completely out of character.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I really hope this translator is never allowed to translate again, the excessive cursing is completely out of character.

Yeah I noticed that too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
remember back in arlong park when nami told luffy "please... help me... go gently caress up that oval office arlong"

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
So what are the odds that Tamago getting cut in half will reveal some ridiculous fruit power? No way he's just dead...

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Uldor posted:

So what are the odds that Tamago getting cut in half will reveal some ridiculous fruit power? No way he's just dead...

Given that 'tamago' is the Japanese word for 'egg' I would say there's a very good chance that he ate a devil fruit to turn him into an egg man.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

Zoro would have ripped off his hands by now and then chewed off one of his feet for good measure. She's really not being a team player, here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Uldor posted:

turns out he's not just an egg; he's a russian nesting doll

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

He's actually an egg that ate the French-French fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shoren posted:

Given that 'tamago' is the Japanese word for 'egg' I would say there's a very good chance that he ate a devil fruit to turn him into an egg man.

Also the similarity of his body shape, moustache and glasses to Dr. Eggman / Robotnik.