Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anyway Baloogan is right in that Clinton is a horrible person but wrong is the details of that and also wrong in every other conceivable way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hmm maybe gently caress whitey then kill whitey, like some kind of praying mantis or the trump administration

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

the idea that democrats should earn every loving vote is somehow a controversial statement in the year of our lord two thousand and sixteen

Problem: Base isn't turning out

Solution: Drop sick negs

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress whitey so that their future white children turn brown.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gently caress whitey until we're all a shade of brown imo

e; fb lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Serf posted:

gently caress whitey until we're all a shade of brown imo

e; fb lol

is this an anal joke

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had a pretty interesting conversation with my cab driver on the way home from a post-work grocery run last night. Non-white dude with a noticeable accent, but I don't know where he was from (and didn't ask); the only personal information he volunteered was that he's an Orthodox Christian.

Anyway, after we chatted about Christmas decorations and the possible origins of the Santa Claus mythology and my being raised Mennonite and what's a Mennonite, the subject of Trump came up. He was almost apologetic at first about his complete disdain for the guy, but we chatted for a bit about how immoral the guy was, how he was probably crazy and definitely a racist and just going to be used by the Republicans, all the usual stuff. He said he was a little nervous about Muslims, but that he thought Trump's Muslim ban was dumb, likening it to stories of Muslim extremists killing people for not knowing passages out of the Quran.

But he was completely unsurprised that Trump had won. He was completely dismissive of Clinton, and not because of her scandals or her lovely campaign, but because of NAFTA, and he kept coming back to the central point of (and this is a direct quote) "Jobs are everything." Trump promised people jobs, therefore Trump got elected, QED.

I didn't get a chance to ask him about Sanders (or Webb), and I don't really have a point to make, except that this was an interesting conversation with an interesting dude, and "Jobs are everything" would probably be a good thing for the Democratic Party to remember going forward too.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

I had a pretty interesting conversation with my cab driver on the way home from a post-work grocery run last night. Non-white dude with a noticeable accent, but I don't know where he was from (and didn't ask); the only personal information he volunteered was that he's an Orthodox Christian.

Anyway, after we chatted about Christmas decorations and the possible origins of the Santa Claus mythology and my being raised Mennonite and what's a Mennonite, the subject of Trump came up. He was almost apologetic at first about his complete disdain for the guy, but we chatted for a bit about how immoral the guy was, how he was probably crazy and definitely a racist and just going to be used by the Republicans, all the usual stuff. He said he was a little nervous about Muslims, but that he thought Trump's Muslim ban was dumb, likening it to stories of Muslim extremists killing people for not knowing passages out of the Quran.

But he was completely unsurprised that Trump had won. He was completely dismissive of Clinton, and not because of her scandals or her lovely campaign, but because of NAFTA, and he kept coming back to the central point of (and this is a direct quote) "Jobs are everything." Trump promised people jobs, therefore Trump got elected, QED.

I didn't get a chance to ask him about Sanders (or Webb), and I don't really have a point to make, except that this was an interesting conversation with an interesting dude, and "Jobs are everything" would probably be a good thing for the Democratic Party to remember going forward too.

Orthodox dude 2020

Belisarius 2020

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just think if we get to work today making a third party to replace the Democrats, we might be done by the time we're all dead from old age

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

docbeard posted:

mennonites are cool you shoulda stuck with it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whitey Bulger is in prison for life, killing him wouldn't really accomplish much at this point :confused:

Also, Tom Brady did nothing wrong and will be the 2016 MVP

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

mennonites are cool you shoulda stuck with it

I'm honestly kind of drifting back in that direction.

The church I grew up in wasn't part of the Old Order horse-and-buggy set, in case anyone's wondering, as remarkable a transition as that would have been! My great-grandparents were raised Amish and converted to being Mennonites when they came of age, though, so I totally have a family connection when society collapses and the Amish are the only viable civilization left on this continent.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Al! posted:

hmm maybe gently caress whitey then kill whitey, like some kind of praying mantis or the trump administration

ill take the mantis for potus tyia

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
How many times can America say "NOPE" to Hillary? I wanna see her run in 2020.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

loquacius posted:

Also, Tom Brady did nothing wrong and will be the 2016 MVP

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

docbeard posted:

I'm honestly kind of drifting back in that direction.

The church I grew up in wasn't part of the Old Order horse-and-buggy set, in case anyone's wondering, as remarkable a transition as that would have been! My great-grandparents were raised Amish and converted to being Mennonites when they came of age, though, so I totally have a family connection when society collapses and the Amish are the only viable civilization left on this continent.

do mennonites get that amish gap year to live in civilization?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

do mennonites get that amish gap year to live in civilization?

Most modern Mennonite churches are pretty indistinguishable from your average Protestant church, honestly.

I'm not sure how the Old Order folks do things, I imagine it varies from group to group.

Serf
May 5, 2011

around here mennonites are like diet amish. they use cars and tractors and poo poo but not TVs or computers. they pass out pamphlets and will come into your house and argue with your grandpa for three hours about the existence of god if you happen to be out fishing and not there to drive them off

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tom Brady is as much a Trump supporter as Bill Clinton -- they have hung out and done rich people things and played golf etc, but he did not vote for Trump because if he did his wife would murder him

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38399717

quote:

A compromise deal was announced several days ago, when Charlotte agreed to repeal its ordinance and the Republican-dominated senate agreed to repeal HB2 - effectively a "reset" of the entire controversy.

The city of Charlotte went ahead and voted to reverse its ordinance. The senate's repeal of HB2, however, never materialised.

Republicans added a provision on Wednesday which included a ban for several months on cities passing any similar ordinances to grant protections to the LGBT community.

"This wasn't the deal," said Senator Jeff Jackson, a Charlotte Democrat. "This bill breaks this deal. Charlotte would have not repealed its ordinance if this was the deal."
Please do not let your appointed representatives fall for very easy ruses like this when human rights on the table, democrats.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

docbeard posted:

god damnit tom friedman get the gently caress outta this thread

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Please do not let your appointed representatives fall for very easy ruses like this when human rights on the table, democrats.

BREAKING: DNC officials have been wandering around for hours wondering where the ball is after a Republican did that thing where you pretend to throw the ball and don't.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

this is why ya add in language about reversing only if hb2 is repealed

hb2 costs jobs. why republicans hate jobs?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Crotch Fruit posted:

How many times can America say "NOPE" to Hillary? I wanna see her run in 2020.

If you were asked in a survey, would you say you were "enthusiastic" over the possibility of her running again?

Because if so, you share that feeling with 1 in 4 democrats!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

They hate minorities more than they like governing

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
migf do you just search for "rahm" once per day

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

My Imaginary GF posted:

They added that language.

Then they removed it because the Republicans asked them to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

republicans and their constituents do not care, and have never cared, about jobs for the people hb2 affects

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Crafty!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

the only reason why republicans would ask is to reneg on the deal

if southern dems understood politics better, theyd paint republicans as indian givers

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

republicans and their constituents do not care, and have never cared, about jobs for the people hb2 affects

north carolina cares very much about NCAA basketball

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Just think if we get to work today making a third party to replace the Democrats, we might be done by the time we're all dead from old age

sooner than we think then, after all, 55 is the new 75

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mariana Horchata posted:

ill take the mantis for potus tyia

thats clearly a lim-lim

Serf
May 5, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

north carolina cares very much about NCAA basketball

the problem is that you are asking people to make the required connections, or to believe that they exist when provided with evidence

you forget that nothing matters

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Serf posted:

around here mennonites are like diet amish. they use cars and tractors and poo poo but not TVs or computers. they pass out pamphlets and will come into your house and argue with your grandpa for three hours about the existence of god if you happen to be out fishing and not there to drive them off

I went to a Mennonite college (yes, really) and we'd sometimes have folks from one of the super-Conservative churches come 'round with pamphlets about how we were all actually going to hell because we wore clothes with more than one color or something.

(Conservative in the cultural sense not the political; most Mennonites on that side of the spectrum pretty much ignore politics as worldly, as I understand it. In the more mainstream church, I've seen everything from your basic Republican Evangelical Christianity to full-on Liberation Theology represented.)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Phi230 posted:

They hate minorities more than they like governing

no, they like governing cuz it lets em hate on minorites better

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

docbeard posted:

I went to a Mennonite college (yes, really) and we'd sometimes have folks from one of the super-Conservative churches come 'round with pamphlets about how we were all actually going to hell because we wore clothes with more than one color or something.

(Conservative in the cultural sense not the political; most Mennonites on that side of the spectrum pretty much ignore politics as worldly, as I understand it. In the more mainstream church, I've seen everything from your basic Republican Evangelical Christianity to full-on Liberation Theology represented.)

more than one fabric, probably, which is a violation of the mosaic law
:goonsay:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

no, they like governing cuz it lets em hate on minorites better

no, they hate minorities because it wins them supermajorities

dems could learn a lesson there

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

If you were asked in a survey, would you say you were "enthusiastic" over the possibility of her running again?

Because if so, you share that feeling with 1 in 4 democrats!

#dta doinald trumps amerika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

no, they hate minorities because it wins them supermajorities

dems could learn a lesson there
god rahm no wonder you lose elections. hating anyone the least bit different from you is an ancient art which the grandest of masters, jesse of the clan helms spread across this beloved land from his office at WRAL that has inspired a generation to bigger bitter hatred

• Locked thread