Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

Steel wool, vinegar, and tea will turn wood gray.

http://www.adomesticlife.com/natural-wood-staining/
This is just the first link for it Google spit out.

Yeah I kinda knew about that trick but sadly it will take some time and I'm in a bit of a hurry so I was looking for an alternative. I already got the vinegar underway but boy it isnt a fast process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

skylined! posted:

Requesting feedback on my desk I've been working on, and have a few questions. This is all new to me:

http://imgur.com/gallery/e1iEk

I used watco danish oil (clear) and sanded down to 220 grit. I applied 4 initial coats about 15 minutes apart (I sanded heavily and the block just sucked it all up), and then a coat a day later and then another coat the next day. The oil finally began to pool up on the last coat.

The entire table was a bit wet yesterday AM - I had been doing this in my open-air carport and it had been raining for a week. I brought the table inside and applied the last coat yesterday - it sat in a 70 degree low humidity room overnight and feels much more dry to the touch (of course it's sunny and 40 degrees out today).

There are a few rough spots on the top - probably not noticeable to anyone but me. I guess my questions are, will the danish oil ever 'cure' to a harder sheen that the pictures show, when do I stop applying coats, should I apply a top layer of oil-based poly or shellac, and how long should I let it dry before actively using it?

I planned on getting a little 6" orbital buffer and buffing it after the last coat - read somewhere this can help harden the finish(?) Is this a good idea?

I ordered some neato legs from a cool dude in Indiana and they arrive today. I'm trying to temper my excitement with wanting it to be completed right. Feedback would be helpful!

I'd personally say keep applying coats until you are bored of it. The rule I've always heard with oils is "every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year" but that's probably overkill for functional furniture. Maybe do a few more daily coats until it seems like it's really not absorbing after 10 minutes?

As far as letting it dry, I believe the Watco can says at least 72 hours before a top finish. I am on a shellac kick so I'd suggest that (just use a coaster under that coffee cup!). If nothing else, it's easy to repair. As far as gloss, you could try sanding your next oil coats 600/800 (the sanded oil slurry will smooth out the surface). But as mentioned earlier, you've really got to buff to get a really high gloss, and something that will film up to produce a smooth top layer like shellac will really help.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Hubis posted:

I'd personally say keep applying coats until you are bored of it. The rule I've always heard with oils is "every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year" but that's probably overkill for functional furniture. Maybe do a few more daily coats until it seems like it's really not absorbing after 10 minutes?

I think this rule is just for BLO since it isnt really a "finish".
Watco Danish oil is a poly/oil mix. There really isnt a reason to be applying more months from now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I wanted to make a small wooden chest (interior dimensions of around 22.5cmx15cmx15cm LxDxH) without using ugly wood screws to secure it, would 6mm diameter dowel suffice to secure the chest faces together (with wood glue) or would it be very structurally weak? I was going to drill 6mm holes into the chest faces and then hammer a dowel inside with glue and hope that it held everything together tightly. I want to make a small wooden chest to give to my friend - who I got as a Secret Santa - and he'll be storing any Dungeons & Dragons related stuff in it, so it won't be required to hold very heavy stuff.

Is this a feasible design or would I need to use wood screws?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

If I wanted to make a small wooden chest (interior dimensions of around 22.5cmx15cmx15cm LxDxH) without using ugly wood screws to secure it...

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to practice box or dovetail joints! :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Minorkos posted:

What's the easiest way of achieving a texture like this? I've been trying to stain the wood just black with a weaker mixture, but that doesn't get rid of the brown wood color in the wood texture pattern. I need the texture pattern to look gray like in the pic.

There is apparently no dark gray stain for sale in my area that looks like that, so that's not an option

Thanks in advance

There is a very good amateur YouTube video by two middle-aged women showing how to make faux barn board. Not sure if that's what you are looking for. I may have it bookmarked on my desktop when I get there.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Should be fine, just be careful to drill accurately and watch for splitting.

If you cut a rabbet into the ends of the short pieces and fit the corner joints together that way, it'll be a much stronger joint than just butting them together.

In fact for a small box you could skip the dowels since the glue joint would be quite sturdy.

Or better yet, buy some iron cut-nails for a very classic medieval finish. (Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley both sell them but they're fairly pricey)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I"m making a pasta drying rack for my wife for Christmas, and I'm not sure what to use for a finish on it. It's made out of red oak. Would it be safe to just put a couple coats of polyurethane over the whole thing, would such as a mineral oil be more appropriate, or something else?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Thanks for the insight, doods. I decided to try paste wax and am not disappointed. This is the finish I was hoping for!

https://imgur.com/gallery/hNmak

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Elder Postsman posted:

I"m making a pasta drying rack for my wife for Christmas, and I'm not sure what to use for a finish on it. It's made out of red oak. Would it be safe to just put a couple coats of polyurethane over the whole thing, would such as a mineral oil be more appropriate, or something else?

Just rub it with a few coats of olive oil. It'll look nice and stop the pasta from sticking

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Skippy Granola posted:

Just rub it with a few coats of olive oil. It'll look nice and stop the pasta from sticking

Don't do this. Use mineral oil or another food-safe oil as a finish, yes, but not olive or canola or other cooking oils. They'll never dry properly and eventually go rancid.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Don't do this. Use mineral oil or another food-safe oil as a finish, yes, but not olive or canola or other cooking oils. They'll never dry properly and eventually go rancid.

Oh dang you're right that's a good point.

I also need to refinish a couple of wooden spoons tonight. Thanks for setting me straight

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

skylined! posted:

Thanks for the insight, doods. I decided to try paste wax and am not disappointed. This is the finish I was hoping for!

https://imgur.com/gallery/hNmak

Looks good. Top and bottom should be finished equally otherwise you risk the less finished side going concave.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just tried making one of these puzzle cubes on my bandsaw. It's super-simple and an easy way to use up some thick scrap wood. Though I think my 1/8" bandsaw blade is a bit too big; I can't really get enough tension on it, so it wobbles a bit while cutting and makes a large kerf. Still, for 10 minutes' work I'm pretty happy to have a little wooden doodad I can show my nieces and nephews.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Magnus Praeda posted:

Mineral oil it is, then. Thanks!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

Mineral oil it is, then. Thanks!

You can get different food safe oils. I use one called orange oil that smells awesome.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

NPR Journalizard posted:

You can get different food safe oils. I use one called orange oil that smells awesome.

I would imagine you would want something super neutral for a pasta drying rack so that you don't transfer any smell or flavor to the pasta. That is why I like mineral oil for food things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I use raw linseed oil since it cures/oxidizes, it smells "linseedy" at first but I have never noticed it rubbing off on food. Sometimes I finish up with a homemade mixture of raw linseed oil, beeswax and a little carnauba wax and polish it out. I've used this on roll pins and cutting boards.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I recently (month ago or so) invested in some different glue, namely Titebond II, got a small bottle and a gallon jug to refill from and I have to say I think the bottle design is the best one by far that I have used. Finally no more loose bottle caps that get lost, or crappy systems of attachment that gets in the way when applying the glue. I've tried my own glue bottles from old bottles of detergent and soap and even mustard, but even the better designed caps broke off or dried so the caps stopped being tight. This has worked without flaw for longer than any other system I've used. I am pretty sold on TB II now. Not sure if I'll bother with original or ultimate... I like having just one bottle in the shop.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I use raw linseed oil since it cures/oxidizes, it smells "linseedy" at first but I have never noticed it rubbing off on food. Sometimes I finish up with a homemade mixture of raw linseed oil, beeswax and a little carnauba wax and polish it out. I've used this on roll pins and cutting boards.

You didn't say this but to point it out: don't use BOILED linseed oil for food products.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Man, you guys have put a lot of thought into this, so I feel bad not saying something earlier, but you can actually just buy pre-dried pasta nowadays.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, you should feel bad.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Slugworth posted:

Man, you guys have put a lot of thought into this, so I feel bad not saying something earlier, but you can actually just buy pre-dried pasta nowadays.

Suuuure, and I guess you can buy pre sliced bread and go to the general store in some kind of carriage without horses too :rolleyes:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Slugworth posted:

Did you guys hear? IKEA sells furniture!
:getout:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Slugworth posted:

Oh yeah future man? So why do I have Rubella?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elder Postsman posted:

I'd never use red oak for anything food related. So you should probably scrap the whole thing, or go with your first bet polyurethane and use it as a sweater drying rack (still not optimal)

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

Looks good. Top and bottom should be finished equally otherwise you risk the less finished side going concave.

Turns out finishing both sides is not necessary! http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/finish_both_sides_not_necessary

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It brings up a good question, though: is there a good guide to woodworking with food safety in mind? Wood types, finish types, water, heat, and stain resistance, holding up to repeated cleaning, etc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I was waiting for someone to link this. This is a case where "debunking the myth" becomes the myth. Like when it started going around that the slot in threaded inserts is not for a screwdriver, it is, and those were credible, educated people, spreading that myth. Flexner is basing this on his experience refinishing antiques but he is only seeing pieces that survived, not the thousands of pieces that didn't. Flexner is wrong. It's contrary to my own experience, contrary to what I know about wood movement, and contrary to his own published work. I don't know how many times I've read on woodworking forums that someone is building a table and their top bowed or cupped, soon after they admit they only finished the top or they laid the bare panel atop their saw or workbench cutting off air to one side. I've written quite a bit on it and debunked him point by point, even messaged him about it, but it does no good because the article persists. Maybe one day I will write it up again and publish it on my blog where I can link it but I'm nobody and Flexner has been around a long time so the chances of me convincing people are slim. Best I can say is go through the article point by point and evaluate what he's saying against what you know about moisture and wood movement. If you buy what he's selling then roll the dice. If the table is in a climate controlled space or a mild climate where moisture levels are relatively stable, it will probably will be fine. If the wood is mostly quartersawn, it will probably be fine. If you want to test his claim -- glue up a panel, finish only the top, suspend it over sawhorses and put a heat source or fan blowing on it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

On that topic, I plan to finish all the bits on my workbench (top and bottom) with 2 coats of a 1:1:1 mix of boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits and oil-based varnish. Can I just leave each coat to cure for a day or should I wipe and sand in between?

The thinner indicates to me that I could just slap it on and let God sort it out.

Also I have a brick of beeswax - would it be worth scrubbing a coat of that on top as well or would it overly enslicken the surface?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

I was waiting for someone to link this. This is a case where "debunking the myth" becomes the myth. Like when it started going around that the slot in threaded inserts is not for a screwdriver, it is, and those were credible, educated people, spreading that myth. Flexner is basing this on his experience refinishing antiques but he is only seeing pieces that survived, not the thousands of pieces that didn't. Flexner is wrong. It's contrary to my own experience, contrary to what I know about wood movement, and contrary to his own published work. I don't know how many times I've read on woodworking forums that someone is building a table and their top bowed or cupped, soon after they admit they only finished the top or they laid the bare panel atop their saw or workbench cutting off air to one side. I've written quite a bit on it and debunked him point by point, even messaged him about it, but it does no good because the article persists. Maybe one day I will write it up again and publish it on my blog where I can link it but I'm nobody and Flexner has been around a long time so the chances of me convincing people are slim. Best I can say is go through the article point by point and evaluate what he's saying against what you know about moisture and wood movement. If you buy what he's selling then roll the dice. If the table is in a climate controlled space or a mild climate where moisture levels are relatively stable, it will probably will be fine. If the wood is mostly quartersawn, it will probably be fine. If you want to test his claim -- glue up a panel, finish only the top, suspend it over sawhorses and put a heat source or fan blowing on it.

What parts exactly are you debunking? I can't parse where you're saying he's wrong. You make your thesis and the next time I run into Bob, I'll tell him about it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

What parts exactly are you debunking? I can't parse where you're saying he's wrong. You make your thesis and the next time I run into Bob, I'll tell him about it.

The thesis is presumably the contrary to what the article claimed, viz. that only finishing one side doesn't cause the wood to warp.

I admit I'm skeptical of the article too, just from a theoretical standpoint. Sure a damaged finish will be more water-permeable than an undamaged finish, but it's still going to be a lot less water-permeable to unfinished wood. So, all else being equal, wood that is only finished on one side is going to absorb more water on the other side, leading to warping. The fact that you may be wiping down the finished surface with water frequently (in the case of a table, say) doesn't really change that equation; it's just a separate potential source of warping damage.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Well if the experts don't agree with me then the "so-called experts" are wrong.

Just make a video of you doing exactly what you suggest others do if you want to debunk him Wormil.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 22, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

If you want your wooden tabletops to stay true, make offerings of beer and herb potage to the tree spirits who live in the grain. It's simple

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well the child size roubo project is nearing something looking like a bench, tomorrow I will hopefully be done with all the legs and I can glue on the front slats and complete the angled "mortise", then start the job of, planing, sanding and finishing it (not sure what I will use).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Well the child size roubo project is nearing something looking like a bench, tomorrow I will hopefully be done with all the legs and I can glue on the front slats and complete the angled "mortise", then start the job of, planing, sanding and finishing it (not sure what I will use).

I wish any of my nephews or niece were at all interested in woodworking because I would totally do something like this. My eldest nephew looked at me like I had three heads when I gifted my old tool belt to him.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

This is super cool and I hope you keep posting about this. My nephews are only 2 but they love tools and I want to do woodworking with them when they are old enough. Last time I babysat one of them we watched youtube woodworking videos for an hour. I think he mostly likes the saw and tool noises, but that is enough at his age.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'd never use red oak for anything food related. So you should probably scrap the whole thing, or go with your first bet polyurethane and use it as a sweater drying rack (still not optimal)

Hmm. Any particular reason why?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elder Postsman posted:

Hmm. Any particular reason why?

Open pores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Mr. Mambold posted:

Open pores.

Oh. Ooooh. Welp, I'll give it to her and secretly re-make it out of something else before she has a chance to use it.