Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

hump day bitches! posted:

That scouting report is just incredible, how the gently caress did he got drafted in the second?
He looks like a quarterback. Like E.J. Manuel, except white and worse in every way. All it takes is one front office and/or coach to convince themselves that they can fix him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Alaois posted:

tall_white_quarterbacks.txt

Ha ha oh man, that really hits the nail on the head for dudes like Mallett and Osweiler. Why are NFL front offices so enamored with arm size and height when it's obvious accuracy and decision making are so much more important. They all seem to think after some kid has spent 15 years since peewee launching the football into orbit against garbage defenses that their staff will be the one to hone him into a precision weapon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hackenberg is the opposite of the intangibles guys. He's all tangibles. It's his passes that are intangible.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's compare:

quote:

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Thick, muscular frame. Has proven over last three seasons that he can withstand a pounding. Has enough natural arm strength and hip snap to fit throws into an NFL window. Stands tall and delivers a tight spiral with over-­the­-top delivery. Very little wind­up and gets ball out with the flick of a wrist. When pocket is clean, can deliver accurate strikes around the field. Played with improved vision and care for football this season and eliminated many of the ill-­fated throws that turned into interceptions in 2014. Still a work in progress, but continues to show a level of growth as a passer. Threat with his legs, scoring 37 rushing touchdowns over last three seasons and had 94 rushes of ten yards or more during that time. Can be used as goal-­line rushing option. Willing to extend plays outside of pocket with legs but look to finish the play with his arm. Mentally tough enough to carry a heavy offensive burden for the Bulldogs over last three years. When protected better in 2014, showed an ability to challenge deep and strike with accuracy and touch.
WEAKNESSES Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper­ aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3
NFL COMPARISON Brett Hundley
BOTTOM LINE Hard to find an NFL comp for Prescott because he's built like Donovan McNabb, but lacks McNabb's ability and polish. Prescott has NFL size, mobility and enough arm, but the tape shows a player who must improve his mechanics, poise and quickness through his progressions if he is to become a full­-time starter in the NFL. There are absolutely draftable traits and upside, but he will need extended work to smooth out his flaws. Until then, a team would be wise to utilize him on short-yardage packages.

I was going to do a guess who but NFL made it way too obvious with the comparable / bottom line comparables. Come on now NFL scouts.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
NFL COMPARISON: Black Quarterback
BOTTOM LINE: Prescott is built like (Black Quarterback)

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Ha ha oh man, that really hits the nail on the head for dudes like Mallett and Osweiler. Why are NFL front offices so enamored with arm size and height when it's obvious accuracy and decision making are so much more important. They all seem to think after some kid has spent 15 years since peewee launching the football into orbit against garbage defenses that their staff will be the one to hone him into a precision weapon.

Worked out pretty well with Aaron Rodgers

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
^^^^ Rodgers was considered a system QB with a great arm who had been super accurate but had the Tedford stink on him. It's not the same thing at all.

corn on the cop posted:

NFL COMPARISON: Black Quarterback
BOTTOM LINE: Prescott is built like (Black Quarterback)

Even for Jameis Winston who mostly got Roethlisburger comparisons they still would reach for Byron Leftwich as a comp.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^^ Rodgers was considered a system QB with a great arm who had been super accurate but had the Tedford stink on him. It's not the same thing at all.

Even for Jameis Winston who mostly got Roethlisburger comparisons they still would reach for Byron Leftwich as a comp.

I was more thinking about his terrible pre-Green Bay mechanics, which were supposed to hinder him at the pro level

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

That scouting report is just incredible, how the gently caress did he got drafted in the second?

He was the top quarterback of the recruiting class that year, he never lived up to that potential, and instead of just accepting that outcome, some NFL scouts think "NFL arm" and that's all they need to hear. He wasn't good his last two years at Penn State, and this year Penn State was much better with a new quarterback.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I was more thinking about his terrible pre-Green Bay mechanics, which were supposed to hinder him at the pro level

He also sat a long time and they spent all that time reworking his mechanics.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Prior to the neutering of defenses in the early 2000s, you couldn't have these accurate little midgets playing QB. First off, the receivers couldn't get off the line and be open. Secondly, they hadn't figured out how to commit offensive pass interference run effective screen routes. Also, you could still hit QBs, so smaller ones would get absolutely murdered. Lastly, you couldn't throw over the middle of the field at all, because the receivers would just get annihilated. That's why giant pass catching tight ends like Wesley Walls were so valuable; they couldn't run, but they could take a hit. The only routes that mattered were sideline post routes.

So basically the only QB you could have was a giant mountain of a human who could throw it deep and not die when hit. This was the prototype for every single QB, and things like speed of release loving didn't matter at all. See someone like Kerry Collins, who would probably be a third round draft pick today with the way he wind mill'd the ball out.

Almost all of the guys in charge of NFL teams now came up during that era, and it's a difficult impulse to shake. Compounding this is the failure of numerous smaller, "accurate" types who were really just products of gimmick college offenses like Ted Tedford QBs. Brees is the perfect embodiment of all of this. He was serviceable when he was first drafted, then nearly had his career ended. If they hadn't made it impossible for defenses to press receivers, or let defenders hit QBs, Brees career would have ended in a couple seasons for good. Then the passing rules changes, he gets with a creative coach, the league decides hitting white QBs is illegal, and boom he goes nuts.

I mean poo poo Tom Brady has developed into whatever but when he was drafted he was just a tall, slow white guy with a good enough arm who was on the same level as Tim Rattay.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I am rarely down on a player before seeing them in action in the NFL. Usually it takes a special storm of media hype and blatant ineptitude to get me to bite, like Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, or Morris Claiborne. And even then I can begrudgingly admit that certain guys can play at the NFL level, just not at the level expected of their draft stock.

Christian Hackenberg has, on several pieces of video evidence, mind you, thrown a ball directly at a linebacker for a game ending interception. He's turned innumerable short balls into wobbly, lofting ducks that get picked off at the second level on screen passes. He's stepped up directly into his o-linemen so many times that they think he's Julia Styles. His pocket presence is existential.

Despite all this, somehow Penn State homers gave him every excuse in the book and every nationally televised Penn State game would follow the route of mumbling about Sandusky into congratulating O'Brien on rebuilding the program into dick sucking Hackenberg. Then when O'Brien left and Franklin couldn't win games with 3 star transfers Hackenberg got the Mark Sanchez treatment from the announcers. Not a single interception was his fault. Every play Allen Robinson bailed him out on would immediately be revered upon onto a literal Hack instead. Every college football fan knew he was going to tumble in the draft and UDFA somewhere and the Jets took him in the loving second.

These are the faces of football morons:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is a lot of hubris in NFL scouting/coaching. The scouting may say he is bad, but has good size and a cannon arm, and the coach simply thinks "I can fix him!" when it may not matter where the guy goes. Some coaches are good and can maximize talent, but short of a handful of cases if a guy is failure at one place, there isn't any fixing him.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also sat a long time and they spent all that time reworking his mechanics.

Yes but the discussion is about why coaches think they can fix QBs, which why Aaron is an example of one that got fixed

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You'd think after Drew Brees and Russell Wilson blew up NFL scouts would be like "huh, maybe QB height isn't the end-all-be-all."

Then Brock Osweiler gets $72 million and Christian Hackenberg goes in the second round and you realize NFL scouts are just really loving stuck in their ways.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yes but the discussion is about why coaches think they can fix QBs, which why Aaron is an example of one that got fixed

The problem is in general they think they can fix them quickly and sitting a QB for any length of time is no longer a tenable position.

Especially on bad teams.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

swickles posted:

There is a lot of hubris in NFL scouting/coaching. The scouting may say he is bad, but has good size and a cannon arm, and the coach simply thinks "I can fix him!" when it may not matter where the guy goes. Some coaches are good and can maximize talent, but short of a handful of cases if a guy is failure at one place, there isn't any fixing him.

Hackenberg is a turd

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Benne posted:

You'd think after Drew Brees and Russell Wilson blew up NFL scouts would be like "huh, maybe QB height isn't the end-all-be-all."

Then Brock Osweiler gets $72 million and Christian Hackenberg goes in the second round and you realize NFL scouts are just really loving stuck in their ways.

Brees was the first pick in the second round, so he had expectations. Wilson and Dak are anomalies. For every player like them there are fifty colt McCoy's and Brett hundleys.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Benne posted:

"being able to actually play football" is super underrated in scouting IMHO

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Drew Brees is really the exception.

Wilsons three year stretch is possibly it for him. The injuries are just going to continue to take his toll, and he's going to have difficulty transitioning his playing style, especially considering the defense is going to begin a decline and his offensive line is uh....yeah.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is in general they think they can fix them quickly and sitting a QB for any length of time is no longer a tenable position.

Especially on bad teams.

who's even sat as long as rodgers since that happened? I can't think of anyone. Even goff sitting half the season was unusual

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't have a problem with short QBs. I have a problem with middle height QBs with lame names. I'm looking at you, J.P. Losman's of the world!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

who's even sat as long as rodgers since that happened? I can't think of anyone. Even goff sitting half the season was unusual

Kirk Cousins, though not particularly on purpose and he was a low-round flier.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mastershakeman posted:

*ahem*

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

hundley? tyrod taylor?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Doltos posted:

I don't have a problem with short QBs. I have a problem with middle height QBs with lame names. I'm looking at you, J.P. Losman's of the world!
RinglessRiversComic.jpg

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i should've phrased that as 'on purpose' with sitting the heir apparent.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

i should've phrased that as 'on purpose' with sitting the heir apparent.

Brock still counts, he was drafted in the second to be both insurance for Peyton if he was broken and if not then as Peyton's heir.

Sitting, uh, doesn't appear to have helped him like it did with Rodgers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

RinglessRiversComic.jpg

Bruh

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

Drew Brees is really the exception.

Wilsons three year stretch is possibly it for him. The injuries are just going to continue to take his toll, and he's going to have difficulty transitioning his playing style, especially considering the defense is going to begin a decline and his offensive line is uh....yeah.

This take comes in at above jalapeño level but below habañero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He isn't wrong tho

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Who in the top 5 is a massive injury risk and will be a massive bust due to injuries and being bad?

Need to place on bet on who the Bears draft.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Though on a side note Mitch Trubisky sounds like the most Bears rear end Bears Quarterback name ever. So I kinda hope they draft him even though he screams bust to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dexo posted:

Who in the top 5 is a massive injury risk and will be a massive bust due to injuries and being bad?

Fournette's had (non-serious long term as far as I know) ankle issues all year and is the most talented back since Peterson to come out of college, so I guess him right now? The only reason he wouldn't go top 5 based on talent is the theory that RBs are fungible or if the ankle scares people.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i'll shoot every single person in chicago if the bears draft fournette

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mastershakeman posted:

Would anyone even notice a difference?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

big money big clit posted:

Would anyone even notice a difference?

no, i'll be as uncatchable as that german guy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

Probably Leonard Fournette's knee.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

Probably Leonard Fournette's knee.

I thought he was an ankle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

mastershakeman posted:

if they pick Fournette with Jordan Howard already looking like a good running back I'll throw a fit

• Locked thread