Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://m.philstar.com/314191/show/59afeaa11637d043b0b3fd9f54e23600/

quote:

MANILA, Philippines - Has President Duterte given the green light to plant evidence against drug suspects?

In a speech yesterday, the President indicated that he had given instructions to plant guns to show that drug suspects resisted arrest. Police have described those who resist as “nanlaban,” most of whom have been shot dead.

“I said, O sir, if they are there, destroy them also. Especially if they put up a good fight. O ‘pag walang baril, walang – bigyan mo ng baril (If they don’t have a gun, give them a gun). Here’s a loaded gun, fight because the mayor said, let’s fight,” Duterte said.

“I don’t know if the other guy who would have won the presidency (can do it). I do not know kung kaya talaga. But somehow I must stop (the drug menace) because it will continue to contaminate and contaminate, and so to the last man I said, to the law enforcer, to the military guys: destroy the apparatus,” he said as he took a potshot at another presidential contender whom he doubted had the capacity to address the drug problem had he won the presidency.

Duterte made the admission of planting evidence against drug suspects to demonstrate how serious he is in destroying illegal drugs.

He said he has given fair warning against drug operators all over the country to leave or die and encouraged cops to pursue criminals to their deaths – “provided that they resist arrest or in act of self-defense.”

“And so I warned everybody: stop drugs or I’ll kill you. You want to stay alive? Stop drugs. You want dead? You want death? Go on with the drugs. Simple man lang ‘yan (It’s simple),” the President said.
He repeated his mantra that he wants the last pusher out of the streets and all the big drug lords killed.

“You know, until the last pusher is out of the streets in my country, and until the biggest or big drug lords are killed, this campaign against drugs will continue to the very last day of my term. Six years for now.”

Support for operating police teams

The President defended anew his support for the team of Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Region 8 under commander Supt. Marvin Marcos that killed Albuera Mayor Roland Espinosa while under government detention a few months ago despite criticisms against the police operating unit.

He also justified the killing of the couple Melvin and Meriam Odicta in an ambush in August shortly after they disembarked from a vessel at Caticlan Jerry Port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't know why the papers have to sensationalize that as him planting evidence when what he actually said is just as terrible.

Duterte a few days ago: "I only killed them because they put up a fight"
Duterte today: "Let's give the suspects guns so that they put up a fight"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.rappler.com/business/156315-duterte-threatens-bsp-amlc-tetangco

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to "whack" the country's central bank and Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) officials, accusing them of corruption and not doing their job.

"I'm going to charge all of you there, criminally. I'll count one to three, and if you don't resign, I will treat you as a drug addict," Duterte said in his speech on Thursday, December 22, after signing the 2017 national budget.

"You guys there are all corrupt... I will bring you down," he added.

The President took aim at AMLC, which is headed by Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Governor Amando Tetangco Jr, whom Duterte previously asked to extend his term.

Tetangco will complete his second 6-year term in July 2017.

"Tetangco is about to retire, better prepare there because I'll give you a whack," Duterte said.

This was the second time Duterte threatened AMLC and BSP officials. He earlier accused them of turning a blind eye to hidden wealth and allegedly contributing to a smear campaign against him during the 2016 polls.

"We have now the money laundering report. But I am warning again the central bank for the second time. It was not until I burdened at them during the NBI, National Bureau of Investigation anniversary and I was there. And I was told by the director that until now, there's no report of this AMLA," Duterte said on Thursday.

The President did not spell out what was in the report he was demanding.

The law prohibits AMLC from sharing any information with anyone else except under court order.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/22/16/duterte-3-out-of-5-americans-are-idiots

quote:

In fighting back against criticisms from the United States, President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said three out of five Americans are idiots.

"[The problem with these white people, these American blockheads, is that three out of five of them are idiots, and only two are in their right minds,]" Duterte said during a speech at the Convergence of Nanay Volunteers as Community Drug Watch in Pampanga.

"[You Americans should just shut up,]" he added.

The President was reacting once again to alleged threats to cut aid to the Philippines because of his administration's bloody campaign against illegal drugs, which has claimed over 3,000 lives.

"If you are destroying my country, I will kill you," he said.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/593427/news/nation/duterte-wants-martial-law-to-be-the-sole-call-of-president

quote:

Duterte said that under the 1987 Constitution, the President needed to get the approval of both the Supreme Court and the Congress on the implementation of martial law.

He said it would be difficult for the president if the High Court and Congress would have different opinions.

"Martial law powers are subject to review by the Supreme Court and by Congress. [If I declared martial law and there was an invasion or war, I cannot proceed on and on (with martial law) even if there is still chaos]," Duterte said.

"[It still has to go through Congress. I still have to go to the Supreme Court.] If there's anybody who would file a complaint to look into the factual [if the proclamation is really justified], which you could not do. [But what happens if the world is in chaos? That's why there is martial law in the first place, so that only one person directs everything,]" he added.

"[So now the problem is, if the findings of the Supreme Court and the the findings of Congress are in conflict, the police won't know which way to go. The president won't know which way to go,]" Duterte said.

"[So what happens if the SC says different? What if Congress says yes. Then SC says no. One says no, the other says yes. Where will I go? What will I do? So that really needs to be changed.] But there is a safety measure there," he added.

Duterte has been pushing for a charter amendments particularly for the adoption of a federal form of government even before he ran for president, saying it is only way to attain lasting peace in Mindanao.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/855804/duterte-slams-un-rights-exec-calls-him-idiot

quote:

“You idiot, do not tell me what to do.”

That’s how President Rodrigo Duterte erupted in anger over the comments of United Nations High Commissioner on Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein that he should be held accountable for murder.

“I think there is one United Nations official, human rights. He said Duterte is a murderer, should be charged for murder. I should be slapped with a case. This guy is either the joker or [quite crazy],” Duterte said in his speech on Thursday at the Convergence of Nanay Volunteers as Community Drugwatch in Angeles City, Pampanga.

“[Can someone please tell me who that idiot is.] Kindly tell him. He’s another stupid …,” he added.

On Tuesday, Zeid said Philippine authorities should investigate Duterte for murder after boasting that he had personally killed suspected criminals.

The President did not let this pass and said the UN commissioner should “go back to school” to review diplomacy.

“Go back to school. You do not know diplomacy. You do not know how to behave to be an employee of the United Nations. You do not talk to me like that, you son of a bitch. [Only Filipinos can call me a son-of-a-bitch, and that's if I'm not doing my job,]” he said.

Duterte said the Philippines is also paying the salaries of UN officials, as one of UN’s member states.

“[The trouble with these] United Nations, you guys, you are employed by an organ composed of nations whose officials are elected by the people. [You’re] sitting there on your asses, we pay your salaries. You idiot, do not tell me what to do. I am your employer, and do not do it to a nation. Who gave you the right?” he said.

“[You know nothing about] international law. [We give] contribution [to the] United Nations, [you arrogant motherfucker, I'm the one paying your salary. Don't talk to me like I'm your employee.] I am a member state, a sovereign state. Please shut up… Do not do that,” he added.

The President said the UN official has no authority to summon him.

“You are just an employee there. [Get an appointment]. Got it? You are just employees of an office there whose subsidy comes from the pocket of the member states. And you do not have that authority to be–you strut around as if you’re also a sovereign idiot…”

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/150867/duterte-warning-pact-us-baffles-aides

quote:

After visiting wounded soldiers in Zamboanga City on Saturday, the foul-mouthed President did not mince words as he let out his disgust over the decision of the Millennium Challenge Corp. (MCC) to rescind its five-year funding to the Philippine government’s antipoverty programs.

“We will not go hungry without the American aid,” he said. “We are not that desperate.”

The President also threatened to raze the headquarters of the United Nations in New York City in response to those accusing him of human rights violations.

“You go and file a complaint in the United Nations. I will burn down the United Nations if you want. I will burn it down if I go to America,” he said.

[Presidential Communications Assistant Secretary Marie] Banaag admitted that aides were clueless over the President’s disclosure that China had offered “50 billion” in financial package, saying it was still unclear if the amount was in peso or US dollar.

She said she would have to ask the Department of Finance if Beijing had indeed offered such financial assistance to the Philippines.

“So there are yet negotiations about the offer as to whether this would be given without conditions because the President is sensitive about these things,” she said.

Apparently playing down the effect of the cancelation of the MCC funding, Mr. Duterte claimed China had made available “50 billion” in financial aid, but did not elaborate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:catstare: Jesus loving Christ.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gah, gently caress that first one. The financial intelligence structure in the country is like one of the only things that puts teeth on the ability of foreign banks to see stuff like card fraud and ID theft get prosecuted, and they're one of the big onramps for fighting child abuse rings in places like Cebu. Your president is a criminal who is committing crimes and making it easier to commit crimes, while putting a tough-on-crime face on for the public. Here's to hoping y'all figure out where his supporters are and solve that problem.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know if Duterte has a family history of dementia? This is a pretty impressive level of unhinged, undirected ranting.

I went to look into his family history, saw that his daughter apparently succeeded him as mayor of Davao City, and then found this bit:

"On 18 April 2016, in connection with the rape remark made by her father Rodrigo on one of his presidential candidacy campaigns, Sara Duterte took to her Instagram account to admit that she was once a rape victim. However, Rodrigo Duterte dismissed his daughter's admission and referred to her as a "drama queen"."

There's really no bottom with this guy is there?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was a twitter thread/essay I read shortly after Steve Bannon was appointed to the White House about how quickly anti-Semitism moves and that America would have only about six months before full fascism sets in.

In seven days, Rodrigo Duterte will have been in office for six months exactly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

Does anyone know if Duterte has a family history of dementia? This is a pretty impressive level of unhinged, undirected ranting.

Yeah, he makes Trump sound like Obama in comparison or something.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Oh come on how unhinged do you think the leader of a nation ca-

quote:

In early September 2015, an infamous incident was reported of a tourist being forced to swallow his own cigarette butt in a local bar in Davao City after the tourist refused to comply with the public anti-smoking ordinance of the city. Duterte was personally contacted by the bar owner and went into the bar and forced the tourist to swallow his cigarette butt.

:stare:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

That was at gun point too, right?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm starting to think I chose a bad time to tell my Filipino mother that I've been recreationally using drugs for most of the last decade. :eng99:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

"[You Americans should just shut up,]"

The problem here is that any first-worlder will agree with this.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
God, the only position Duterte deserves is in the stocks at the bottom of a guillotine. This guy is loving awful.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

quote:

Apparently playing down the effect of the cancelation of the MCC funding, Mr. Duterte claimed China had made available “50 billion” in financial aid, but did not elaborate.

Duterte:china::Trump:Russia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

The thing is, this was largely viewed at the time as a good thing. Duterte is a man of action and forces those damned foreigners to behave!

Dameius posted:

That was at gun point too, right?

Yes. What the quote didn't capture was that Duterte threatened to shoot the guy's dick off if he didn't swallow the cigarette butt.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
merry christmas

https://vimeo.com/196708085

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, Duerte is now swearing he'll throw his critics (he calls them corrupt) out of helicopters and says he's done it before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fore/?tid=sm_fb

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm starting to think I chose a bad time to tell my Filipino mother that I've been recreationally using drugs for most of the last decade. :eng99:

Hopefully the good kind of drugs, not the bad kind that makes Duterte kill you.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm just amazed that he still has any supporters. I mean, we're talking Bond villain levels of awfulness these days, he's barely even trying to put a spin to it. Just "gently caress you, I'll kill anyone who oppose me".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lilljonas posted:

I'm just amazed that he still has any supporters. I mean, we're talking Bond villain levels of awfulness these days, he's barely even trying to put a spin to it. Just "gently caress you, I'll kill anyone who oppose me".

A thought experiment: if Trump were to act the same way, do you think he'd lose all his supporters? I'm betting "not even close."

Humans are a bloodthirsty species. Once we've identified a suitable "other", just wait...

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

A thought experiment: if Trump were to act the same way, do you think he'd lose all his supporters? I'm betting "not even close."

Humans are a bloodthirsty species. Once we've identified a suitable "other", just wait...

Add my faith in humanity to 2016's kill list.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

So, Duerte is now swearing he'll throw his critics (he calls them corrupt) out of helicopters and says he's done it before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fore/?tid=sm_fb

It's like he's absorbing the souls of every villain dictator of the 20th century in an attempt to outdo Marcos.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/594093/news/nation/duterte-on-fentanyl-use-you-ve-never-been-to-paradise-but-i-ve-been-there

Duterte on fentanyl use: You’ve never been to paradise but I've been there

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte compared the feeling of using an entire fentanyl patch to being "in paradise."

In the course of discussing the state of his health, Duterte said that the level of his spinal pain was at six, on a scale of one to 10, when he was given a prescription for the strong pain reliever.

He said he was supposed to only use a fourth of a patch until he accidentally slapped on a whole.

"Into the six months, (I had a hard time because) I have to cut the goddamn thing into four. Isa lang. (And then I made a mistake once. I put the whole thing on)," Duterte said.

"(It was a great feeling) ... You have never been to paradise but I've been there. (It was like paradise while I was using it)," he added.

He said he was reprimanded by his doctor when the latter saw that he was using an entire patch.

"(the pain management doctor at) St. Luke's, I won't mention the name... (He said, 'you used an entire patch?') " Duterte said.

"You know, if you're lying to me, you better look for another doctor. (You don't need me in your life),'" he added.

Duterte first mentioned his earlier use of fentanyl before business men in Malacañang, also while he was discussing his health.

He said then that his doctor warned about losing his cognitive ability with too much fentanyl."

"He said, 'Stop it. The first thing that you would lose is your cognitive ability... (You are, you know, abusing the drug'," Duterte said.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Does this mean he's a drug abuser and should, by his own metrics, shoot himself now?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prism posted:

Does this mean he's a drug abuser and should, by his own metrics, shoot himself now?

Yes

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Prism posted:

No, instead he gets to lead a country and tell his people to kill everyone associated with drugs. And the people seem to like it.

Stockholm Syndrome fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 30, 2016

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Imagine if 95% of the US is white, and Trump just said the remaining 5% are all criminals and should be killed.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

It's got to the point now where the stuff he says is looking like a call for help. He is probably aware that he is a piece of poo poo that shouldn't have this power. The Tony Soprano of Asia

chird
Sep 26, 2004

On Christmas day, police in Minglanilia, Cebu rounded up 80 people at a cockfight. They took their money and made them all sign affidavits that they were drug surrenderers.

The officers in question later each received a bonus as part of 1.6m given as "cash rewards to policemen performing well in anti-drug operations"

Just another day of abuse of power in the Philippines, except the bad news for the cops was one of the people rounded up was the son of the Caraga Mines and Geosciences Bureau Regional Director. He protested to the Deputy Regional Director for Operations. A meeting was held, and the affidavits were ripped up. The complainants agreed not to press charges, for as long as the police erase their names from a file of surrenderers’ names.

The head cop in question will now face an internal investigation.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2016/12/30/central-visayas-police-director-relieves-minglanilla-chief-517534
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2016/12/29/132-cops-rewarded-p16m-517328

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't worry everyone everything's getting better soon :)

http://www.manilatimes.net/us-ex-envoy-plotting-duterte-fall-source/303868/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Prism posted:

The perfect way to end Duterte would be to somehow inject him with Krokodil, and watch as his skin slowly melts away. :kheldragar:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 30, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grouchio posted:

The perfect way to end Duterte would be to somehow inject him with Krokodil, and watch as his skin slowly melts away. :kheldragar:

I feel like proper poetic justice would be for him to be arrested or shot by his own anti-drug task force while being strung out on Fentanyl after it's revealed he was actually abusing it and addicted to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No you see stimulants are somehow inherently more sinful than opiates.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Ytlaya posted:

No you see stimulants are somehow inherently more sinful than opiates.

It's more a case fentanyl not havng any associated stigma. The average drug warrior's knowledge is based exclusively on stereotypes and whatever they've seen at the movies. The average drug warrior would have absolutely no knowledge of how substances interact with the CNS. Heroin is heroin. It's evil. I know I've seen it. Fentanyl is... I don't know, what do you mean it's an opioid just like heroin!? Yes, but it isn't heroin and my doctor gave it to me so how can it be evil like heroin? Heroin is what junkies use and I ain't one of them. Look at me do I look like I'm taking heroin to you? *throws me from the helicopter*

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 31, 2016

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I really expected more Philippines politicians and people in authority to have been more vocal against him by now. Is it just because he has a super-majority he actually has very little opposition, or is it just the case of politicians keeping their heads down till public opinion definitely turns?

Every time he does something more damaging I think "oh well, that must be the tipping point", but no-one actually does anything.

- Giving all his donors positions and contracts in the government.
- Admitting he took money from Marcoses for political favors - the burial - money that's been undeclared.
- Constant, obvious lying to the public and flip-flopping (e.g. I took Fentanyl, it was abuse. I never abused Fentanyl. Kill all druggies! I took so much Fentanyl I touched heaven. It was a joke! etc..)
- The unwarranted destruction of the good U.S partnership and disregard of the importance of BPOs.
- The complete loss of the SCS, when at the beginning of his term it was such a strong position with international support.
- The tanking economy - He took over a strong, growing economy and the last time I checked the stock exchange was down 17% from August, which equates to over 22% loss coz the peso also dropped in value.
- The lovely budget changes - halving the disaster relief fund while increasing the President's office budget by 10 times.
- Untold damage to the tourism industry.
- Borrowing big for rushed infrastructure projects already heavily tainted with corruption.
- "Go and kill drug addicts/people who are "drug coddlers" for not supporting me, I'll protect you. Even if its not the truth, I will support you."

Rant over I guess, 2017 here we come.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Was this the same admission he claimed was a joke the next day or did he admit it again?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

chird posted:

Every time he does something more damaging I think "oh well, that must be the tipping point", but no-one actually does anything

What are you expecting people to do about their murderous leader?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

KingEup posted:

I get what you're saying here, but Filipinos have turned popular revolt into a pastime. A murderous leader didn't stop them in the 80s, though it did take a while.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

KingEup posted:

I'm not talking about the common man, as I said, "I expected more Philippines politicians and people in authority to have been more vocal against him by now." There are very few voicing dissent or calling for investigations into glaring irregularities. Either they agree with what is going on, are covering their political careers by doing nothing, are too cowardly to do anything, or are waiting for public opinion to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chird posted:

I'm not talking about the common man, as I said, "I expected more Philippines politicians and people in authority to have been more vocal against him by now." There are very few voicing dissent or calling for investigations into glaring irregularities. Either they agree with what is going on, are covering their political careers by doing nothing, are too cowardly to do anything, or are waiting for public opinion to change.

We are talking about a country where his party won a minority, and all the elected officials flocked to his party and gave him an undeserved super majority.

I think it can be all of those things.