Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

One one hand, Lovecraft wrote some effective horror stories, on the other they're based on a) "The universe hates you and a loving God is a myth" and b) "black people are the devil" so I can't like them too much. (Declare is a pretty good novel that blends Lovecraftian horror with a Catholic worldview)

you can't blend lovecraftian horror with a catholic worldview, the entire point is the world is a cold, inimical place that's bigger than you thought it was, older than you thought it was, and weirder than you thought it was (his stuff is contemporary with when we started to figure out just how old the universe was and how big) and doesn't give two shits about you. and the same can be said of your own subconscious/human prehistory.

i love the cosmic horror and discard the racism. he may have had wrong ideas, that doesn't mean if you like his work you're a racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lovecraft would be better if he was scary

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm reading my grandpa's gigantic Master Mason Bible, how long until I get a visit from the Illuminati??

It has a lot of cool illustrations and very good reference sections.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

Lovecraft would be better if he was scary

fite me irl

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

you can't blend lovecraftian horror with a catholic worldview, the entire point is the world is a cold, inimical place that's bigger than you thought it was, older than you thought it was, and weirder than you thought it was (his stuff is contemporary with when we started to figure out just how old the universe was and how big) and doesn't give two shits about you. and the same can be said of your own subconscious/human prehistory.

i love the cosmic horror and discard the racism. he may have had wrong ideas, that doesn't mean if you like his work you're a racist

Declare's thesis is that there is a God and he's got all this poo poo under control, but that doesn't mean it's exactly fit for human consumption. It's not as dark as Lovecraft but tbh I kind of prefer my horror stories that way

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, no, Lovecraft fights. [summons dread Cthulhu to end her suffering early].

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

I'm reading my grandpa's gigantic Master Mason Bible, how long until I get a visit from the Illuminati??

It has a lot of cool illustrations and very good reference sections.

Please turn all forbidden materials in to the chancery offices of the bishop for destruction and registration.

Being a freemason is iirc still forbidden for Catholics.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Ceciltron posted:

Being a freemason is iirc still forbidden for Catholics.

Yep, and also for most conservative Protestants too. What dark secret lies behind the spaghetti dinners? We shall never know.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
As much as I want to know, I know that for the good of my eternal soul I must not know. Such a temptation!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yep, and also for most conservative Protestants too. What dark secret lies behind the spaghetti dinners? We shall never know.

There's a bunch of scripts for the ceremonies for the various degrees in front. Based on that it's a lot of allegory using the architecture of the Temple of Solomon. I might post some pictures if my terrible satellite internet allows.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Phlegmatist posted:

There have been times and places where the Masons were legit acting like a secret society and controlling governments; one of the recents was Propaganda Due in Italy. The Masons say "Hey, we expelled those weirdos", everybody else says "Not fully you didn't." "In its latter period, during which the lodge was headed by Licio Gelli, P2 was implicated in numerous Italian crimes and mysteries, including the collapse of the Vatican-affiliated Banco Ambrosiano, the murders of journalist Mino Pecorelli and banker Roberto Calvi, and corruption cases within the nationwide bribe scandal Tangentopoli. P2 came to light through the investigations into the collapse of Michele Sindona's financial empire."

Back when Wikileaks did all sorts of leaks, not just Russian propaganda, I read the Masonic rituals. The worst I remember of them is that they were vaguely "We all worship the same God, the rest are details" which obviously isn't acceptable to any denomination that isn't universalist.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Back when Wikileaks did all sorts of leaks, not just Russian propaganda, I read the Masonic rituals. The worst I remember of them is that they were vaguely "We all worship the same God, the rest are details" which obviously isn't acceptable to any denomination that isn't universalist.
well i believe this, the question is just how you interpret that statement. for instance, i believe protestants worship the same god as i do, but are wrong.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

well i believe this, the question is just how you interpret that statement. for instance, i believe protestants worship the same god as i do, but are wrong.

It was the "the rest is details" part (e: not an actual quote, a dim summary) that I think would get up most denominations' noses.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

But how are their hats??

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

P-Mack posted:

But how are their hats??

like doctor who cosplay

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
i remember at my grandpa's funeral (he was 32nd degree in the scottish rite) some masons came and did a burial rite thing and my dad's protestant relatives were oooooh-ing and aaaaah-ing about how solemn and ritualized it was and all the catholics from my mom's side tried not to giggle

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There have been times and places where the Masons were legit acting like a secret society and controlling governments

Yeah, and there was a time where Jesuits infiltrated Protestant-controlled royal courts and tried to flip them back over to being Catholic. Doesn't mean Jesuits in modern times are trying to control the world or anyth- oh wait.

Jesuits are the driving force of trying to get the Lutherans back. Look at the Catholic signatories of "Declaration on the Way."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StashAugustine posted:

Declare's thesis is that there is a God and he's got all this poo poo under control, but that doesn't mean it's exactly fit for human consumption. It's not as dark as Lovecraft but tbh I kind of prefer my horror stories that way

I'm definitely curious to see how this plays out even if I probably won't like it in the end.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Swabian farmers delivering their tithes (Johann Baptist Pflug, 1820). The two guys in the centre of the picture are: to the left a Catholic from Upper Swabia, fat, happy and rich; to the right a Protestant farmer from Württemberg accompanied by his wife, both thin and destitute

:smug:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm definitely curious to see how this plays out even if I probably won't like it in the end.

It's also got Cold War espionage, djinni, Kim Philby, and the best description of purely spiritual beings I've come across

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

P2 was implicated in numerous Italian crimes and mysteries, including the collapse of the Vatican-affiliated Banco Ambrosiano

the vatican sure is good at :ironicat: names when it comes to banking

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Swabian farmers delivering their tithes (Johann Baptist Pflug, 1820). The two guys in the centre of the picture are: to the left a Catholic from Upper Swabia, fat, happy and rich; to the right a Protestant farmer from Württemberg accompanied by his wife, both thin and destitute

:smug:

there's protestants in Württemberg?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

no they all starved to death during the 30YW this is artistic license

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Württemberg (at least Old Württemberg, i.e. the duchy/kingdom/state before the redrawing of the state borders after WW2) is majority Protestant (only its Upper Swabian and Allgäu parts were mostly Catholic, the rest was/is strongly Lutheran)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Württemberg (at least Old Württemberg, i.e. the duchy/kingdom/state before the redrawing of the state borders after WW2) is majority Protestant (only its Upper Swabian and Allgäu parts were mostly Catholic, the rest was/is strongly Lutheran)

oh i was confusing it with würzburg

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Darklands lied to me.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

oh i was confusing it with würzburg

Can confirm, no protestants in Würzburg.

Baden-Württemberg​ on the other hand has the city that holds the record for having flipped from Protestant to Catholic and back the most times in history.

Also thanks to this thread my phone now autocorrects "cat" to "Catholic".

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Phlegmatist posted:

Darklands lied to me.

The best game that nobody is every going to LP.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

my dad posted:

youtube would seem to say otherwise

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Oh, I meant on SA, but thanks anyway. :)

It's on my "Some day I'm going to LP that thing if I ever start LP-ing things" list.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

im sitting in an irish/german/catholic town, in a neighborhood pub, drinking a beer made in the same town! but the beer is an ale, and even almost an American style pale at that. what I'm trying to say is, please come have a beer with me Christianity Thread. it is more chill than you could possibly imagine, and also we might even joke about funny hats and the sillier circumstances around the more "heh" ecumenical councils

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Sin of jealousy in 5... 4...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

nah im just guilty of spending une parte micro de my year-end bonus on beer and food. for no other purpose than hm yes beer and food getin

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Missed your chance to say "Sin boldly"

:v:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

my dad posted:

Oh, I meant on SA, but thanks anyway. :)

It's on my "Some day I'm going to LP that thing if I ever start LP-ing things" list.

Only if you use my party. Luther, Bucer, Zwingli and Calvin wander around the alleyways at night looking for muggers to brutally murder so they can all buy full plate and go hunt witches.

Luther, cleaning brains off his mace: "Good fight, loot the bodies, we stopped another set of armed bandits from selling indulgences."
Zwingli: "Luther you've said that the past seven times we've murdered people in the alleyway for no reason why do you keep trying to justify yourself."
Luther: "I AM JUSTIFIED BY FAITH ALONE THAT THOSE WERE FILTHY PAPISTS."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Phlegmatist posted:

Only if you use my party. Luther, Bucer, Zwingli and Calvin wander around the alleyways at night looking for muggers to brutally murder so they can all buy full plate and go hunt witches.

Luther, cleaning brains off his mace: "Good fight, loot the bodies, we stopped another set of armed bandits from selling indulgences."
Zwingli: "Luther you've said that the past seven times we've murdered people in the alleyway for no reason why do you keep trying to justify yourself."
Luther: "I AM JUSTIFIED BY FAITH ALONE THAT THOSE WERE FILTHY PAPISTS."

Calvin: Shut up, both of you, you'll disturb Bucer and you know he's working hard to get St Herve's blessing to help us out with solitary women. Besides, the last person we talked to without ganking him asked us to sacrifice a rat to Satan, so I don't think we're in any position to judge.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

Aw, you my homie :cthulhu:

This is more or less the sum of lovecraft fandom: The man was brilliant and if you like any kind of modern horror you should basically reconize, because it wouldn't have happened without him. The racism is more of 30'es bro kind of level, which is obnoxious and horrible, but not the sum of his writership.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There have been times and places where the Masons were legit acting like a secret society and controlling governments; one of the recents was Propaganda Due in Italy. The Masons say "Hey, we expelled those weirdos", everybody else says "Not fully you didn't." "In its latter period, during which the lodge was headed by Licio Gelli, P2 was implicated in numerous Italian crimes and mysteries, including the collapse of the Vatican-affiliated Banco Ambrosiano, the murders of journalist Mino Pecorelli and banker Roberto Calvi, and corruption cases within the nationwide bribe scandal Tangentopoli. P2 came to light through the investigations into the collapse of Michele Sindona's financial empire."

This is more italians being italians than any inherent sinister activity being inherent to the lodges. The catholic-masonry slapfight is older than methusalem by now, and started because of personal issues.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

my dad posted:

my dream in life is obsidian to make a reboot

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im sitting in an irish/german/catholic town, in a neighborhood pub, drinking a beer made in the same town! but the beer is an ale, and even almost an American style pale at that. what I'm trying to say is, please come have a beer with me Christianity Thread. it is more chill than you could possibly imagine, and also we might even joke about funny hats and the sillier circumstances around the more "heh" ecumenical councils

i got super drunk with a bunch of catholics and got into a carol singoff with an anglican choir in the bar :beerpal:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

my dream in life is obsidian to make a reboot

i got super drunk with a bunch of catholics and got into a carol singoff with an anglican choir in the bar :beerpal:

Gregorian chanting vs Evensong, sounds like an awesome singing battle :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's almost as if christian unity is based on beer :D

as part of a mead-based cult that used to practice human sacrifice I'm not taking the high ground, good on you!

• Locked thread