Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is that the extent of the joke? I guess I already get this long running joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
IIRC that mod was going to add Sunset-style invasions from every direction. Skeletons were one of them, along with Atlantis and some sort of massive African tribal army.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'll be honest, the silly stuff does get a bit exhausting at times. How comprehensive is the fantasy events toggle?

But like, just don't join the Satanists then. Fantasy events turns off everything, and Satanists will probably get their own rule since they are pretty pointless with fantasy off (Ideally I wanted to write special texts where their "magic" kept failing and they got more and more annoyed at each other, but time...)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

(Ideally I wanted to write special texts where their "magic" kept failing and they got more and more annoyed at each other, but time...)

:allears:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Darkrenown posted:

But like, just don't join the Satanists then. Fantasy events turns off everything, and Satanists will probably get their own rule since they are pretty pointless with fantasy off (Ideally I wanted to write special texts where their "magic" kept failing and they got more and more annoyed at each other, but time...)
Can it go up in priority if it does double duty in the magic setting where the chain ends with one of the members being Satan incarnate and he maims or kills all the unbelievers depending on how many doubts they cast?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So a one-province Suomenusko count was able to magic up over 9000 troops in the late 8th century, more than the entirety of the Kingdom of Sweden+a few extra counties. No allies, no nothing. Just boom, 9000 I'm assuming event troops out of loving nowhere. That's cool.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Personally I like the fantasy events that are in the realm of plausibility. Praying/magic can actually make things happen, but really the effects are just a coincidence. Failure of course means that you didn't believe in God/Satan hard enough. Also that werewolf guy is just a little bit crazy and has a taste for cannibalism, but he truly believes he has wolf blood in his veins.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm a bit in the middle. Seeing "Odin" while out on a hike is ambiguous, and fighting C'thulu is the ravings of a madman. Weird but plausible events that everyone considers religious, like the hellhole opening up that you can fill with cattle or whatever too. I like all these.

Immortals and Stan giving your balls back are a bit far in the other direction for most of my games though.

Is there a list of events somewhere I can see that show me what's considered supernatural or not?

1stGear posted:

So a one-province Suomenusko count was able to magic up over 9000 troops in the late 8th century, more than the entirety of the Kingdom of Sweden+a few extra counties. No allies, no nothing. Just boom, 9000 I'm assuming event troops out of loving nowhere. That's cool.

I'd guess that's the defensive pagan mechanic to summon defensive zealots with piety.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

1stGear posted:

This is the best. With the right religion/piety combo you can muster 2000 troops, and the right culture with 500 prestige you can get another 2500. That's 4500. Plus, lets be generous, 500 or so personal levy. That's 5,000.

At that time period the biggest merc companies, assuming he can afford them are around 2250. So now we've got 7250 (realistically he should not be able to afford these, and certainly not for long).

He could have raised raiders via a steward or something... or gotten zealots I suppose.

I don't know, but the realistic limit should be somewhere between 4000 and 5000 total troops assuming he's got the piety and prestige to pull all his possible troops. Which leaves 5,000 from gods know where.

One thing I hate about this game that could be better... when I'm going to declare war, give me an estimate of the total possible troops my enemy can raise and from where they could come from. It would make poo poo like this a lot less frustrating--especially for those of us who just run ironman.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

That would be unbelievably awesome if you could do that, especially if you didn't document it in the patch notes.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Vengarr posted:

IIRC that mod was going to add Sunset-style invasions from every direction. Skeletons were one of them, along with Atlantis and some sort of massive African tribal army.

I'm pretty sure the skeletons were intended to work like summonable mercenaries, just with an unanticipated tendency to enter the mercenary failure state of "all of this is ours now."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

One thing I hate about this game that could be better... when I'm going to declare war, give me an estimate of the total possible troops my enemy can raise and from where they could come from. It would make poo poo like this a lot less frustrating--especially for those of us who just run ironman.

If you select the leader the right part of the window gives a troop count and hovering over that should give a breakdown of what troops are there. It loving sucks seeing 5K event troops that basically tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wonderslug posted:

I'm pretty sure the skeletons were intended to work like summonable mercenaries, just with an unanticipated tendency to enter the mercenary failure state of "all of this is ours now."

No it was a horde with kingdom level CBs which is why Bohemia is a bulwark against the Skeleton Menace.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

This is the best. With the right religion/piety combo you can muster 2000 troops, and the right culture with 500 prestige you can get another 2500. That's 4500. Plus, lets be generous, 500 or so personal levy. That's 5,000.

At that time period the biggest merc companies, assuming he can afford them are around 2250. So now we've got 7250 (realistically he should not be able to afford these, and certainly not for long).

He could have raised raiders via a steward or something... or gotten zealots I suppose.

I don't know, but the realistic limit should be somewhere between 4000 and 5000 total troops assuming he's got the piety and prestige to pull all his possible troops. Which leaves 5,000 from gods know where.

You can see the max number of troops a ruler can raise at that time on their portrait screen. Off to the right, close to prestige and such. It's not perfect, though. Civil wars and other things thaf can cause event spawned troops will mess things up but that's war.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Chakan posted:

You can see the max number of troops a ruler can raise at that time on their portrait screen. Off to the right, close to prestige and such. It's not perfect, though. Civil wars and other things thaf can cause event spawned troops will mess things up but that's war.

3500 hours of play and I had no idea.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can't snoop on pagan armies because they all live in a decision or councilor event until they suddenly exist. They all show up as event troops in the realm troop count and only after the fact. That's the center of the discussion about pagans being wacky when trying to decide what to do. You can do some event snooping and memorize all the troop sources but that's not the funnest way to learn how to play the game.

Its neat pagans can hold their own with unpredictable event troops until the feudals get a measurable amount of HI but it could use some in universe warning like your marshal warning you "we don't know who the gently caress lives in these woods and could be facing 10k lunatics with axes if we're unlucky"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ZombieLenin posted:

3500 hours of play and I had no idea.

That's kinda new

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rumda posted:

No it was a horde with kingdom level CBs which is why Bohemia is a bulwark against the Skeleton Menace.

Was a bulwark. It's a proper kingdom now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

zedprime posted:

Empowered council is the best way to glue large realms together without rushing viceroys.

Why would you glue large realms together? :confused: Doesn't that make everything sticky?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zedprime posted:

Empowered council is the best way to glue large realms together without rushing viceroys.

No, that's blood.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cock hero flux posted:

It's a gameplay thing, if you actually play CK2 long enough for the Mongols to show up(which no one does anymore because you start in like loving 769 now holy poo poo) they completely skullfuck everyone on the Eastern side of the map, which makes playing over there interesting because your big fatty empire actually might have to deal with a threat. Meanwhile anyone on the Western edge gets to sit around jerking off about Jesus until 1450 basically unmolested.

The Mongols aren't that tough. If you aren't a sizeable Empire already you'll probably have to spend like a generation or so as their vassal while they waste their armies against the Byzantines and maybe Rus if it's formed properly, then once the event troops run out you rebel and all they have left is lovely steppe provinces and they never matter again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

You can't snoop on pagan armies because they all live in a decision or councilor event until they suddenly exist. They all show up as event troops in the realm troop count and only after the fact. That's the center of the discussion about pagans being wacky when trying to decide what to do. You can do some event snooping and memorize all the troop sources but that's not the funnest way to learn how to play the game.

Its neat pagans can hold their own with unpredictable event troops until the feudals get a measurable amount of HI but it could use some in universe warning like your marshal warning you "we don't know who the gently caress lives in these woods and could be facing 10k lunatics with axes if we're unlucky"

:psyduck:

If you can't remember to check your target for 500 prestige or 200 piety, I don't know what to say. I assume you click on rulers to see how much gold and how many levies they have? On the character screen where you see that number, you look down a handful of pixels and see how much prestige and piety they have. If the prestige is near or above 500, assume they'll get 2.5k extra guys for every multiple of 500 prestige they have. If their piety is near or above 200, assume they'll get an extra 2k guys for every multiple of 200 piety.

It takes all of half a second to look at, and is just as important at looking at how much gold they have to hire mercs, and how many raw levies they can raise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

binge crotching posted:

If you can't remember to check your target for 500 prestige or 200 piety, I don't know what to say. I assume you click on rulers to see how much gold and how many levies they have? On the character screen where you see that number, you look down a handful of pixels and see how much prestige and piety they have. If the prestige is near or above 500, assume they'll get 2.5k extra guys for every multiple of 500 prestige they have. If their piety is near or above 200, assume they'll get an extra 2k guys for every multiple of 200 piety.

It takes all of half a second to look at, and is just as important at looking at how much gold they have to hire mercs, and how many raw levies they can raise.
I mostly wait until I have a few hundred HI with bonuses which makes it so they lose whether they have 500 or 5000 light infantry but I can understand why people who want to do it earlier get frustrated when event troops come out of nowhere..

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

binge crotching posted:

It's a pretty new change, and not something you'd even be aware of until the first time you run into it. Plus, 5000 troops in 769 is more troops than basically anybody than Charley, the Abbassids, the Ummayads and the Byzantines can field. That's a little ridiculous. Add in that 500 prestige/200 Piety guys for some reason are a dime a dozen in Finland. In my current game there's some Finnish Duke who controls 3 counties blocking my expansion into Finland who's in his mid 40s with 750 Prestige and 1000 Piety. That guy can raise 12.5k troops without even touching his levy. They aren't a horde of poo poo light infantry either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess I haven't messed much with defensive pagans outside countering them with the ridiculous horde troops you get as a nomad so I never noticed they got actual bite. The good news is the east baltic is kind of for chumps so if you want a viking empire title you should probably prepared invade somewhere more interesting that has feudal holdings for you to move into and the sun shines for more than 4 hours a day during the winter.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think it's a good thing because it's another roadblock to ludicrous player blobbing in the early game and it means the AI pagans don't get kerbstomped out of relevance nearly as quickly. The frontiers of christian europe at the time were frontiers for a reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like defensive pagans being really good at defense, but it kind of strands the recommended Old Gods reform the norse games at the kingdom level because Scandinavia is full of defensive pagans defending provinces that are dirt anyway. Which is maybe a good thing for stopping the norse juggernaut games of the past but also leads to the slightly backwards recommendation that you reform norse and then prepared invade somewhere you can pick up an empire.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
It's a shame there's no Jewish mysticism component to the DLC. It'd be cool to try out crafting a golem, getting possessed by a dead relative and becoming a dybbuk, summoning a giant lion whose roar causes walls to tumble down, or all the stuff involving the Evil Eye.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due and the upcoming Monk DLC are just so much better than what came before. More events and depth for everyone,

yeah +1 to this

Sunset invasion rules tho

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Got back in to my Ireland game last night, which is the first one I stuck with. I had managed to unite Ireland and start making inroads into Scotland, as well as have almost all of Wales. I kind of had my head down messing about with heirs and such and missed that England's mad king ("the Bewitched") switched to some Catholic herasy, and before I knew it the Knights Templar had overrun basically all of England. Am I right that I pretty much need to wait for people to revolt against them to try and take more territory, or risk bringing down a Christian hammer on myself?

Also, there is one county that is de jure Wales that I cannot offer vassalisation to (no option). I don't understand: I'm king of Wales, they're a piddly count, but still nothing. I parked two successive chancellors there to fabricate a claim and ~50 years of scheming got me nothing. It's now Templar-town anyways so I suppose it's academic for the time being.

Last bit: I kept getting pop ups to educate pointless offshoots of my family tree, so I ignored them, and didn't notice my two heirs piled up under them. I was able to correct my mistake at age 12 (first son) but he came out with awful stats. Second son is a bit better... can I get away with a switch to Ultimogeniture then back to Primo next generation, or should I just ride out the mediocre guy? Or do something like make his 3-martial-having-self a commander and let the Templars sort him out?

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nobody really asked for it, but the tears of the pubbies were so legendary (and I like crazy ideas like that, shake up the world) that it was very much worth it to me.

Never gets old.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I think everyone can agree the best CK2 dlc was "The Republic" though right

Also I ended up hosting another game with my friend today, so here's the text:

Kick: The problem with the World Wide Web is that some people are just not mature enough to deal with it. However, this does not have to ne your problem, by pressing this button you can remove the offending individual from your game and give them time to think about their behavior.

Ban: No human being is perfect and we here at paradox interactive understand this. With this handy button you can remove those imperfect individuals from your game permanently and have a better gaming experience overall.

:mmmhmm:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Necroskowitz posted:

It's a shame there's no Jewish mysticism component to the DLC. It'd be cool to try out crafting a golem, getting possessed by a dead relative and becoming a dybbuk, summoning a giant lion whose roar causes walls to tumble down, or all the stuff involving the Evil Eye.

I'm hoping that there will be some kind of decision to found monastic orders - it seems like it would make sense especially for reformed pagans to be able to create new sects when a religion becomes a lot stronger than it was historically.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
if there isn't a norse society involving getting incredibly drunk and fighting I will be quite irate

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't have Sunset Invasion, The Republic, Conclave, or the Reaper's Due. Are any of those NOT worth getting?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Sunset Invasion if you don't care about Aztecs. The others are drat near mandatory.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Chancellor with 23 Diplo can't get a claim done in forty years of sitting on a place. New Chancellor under new ruler with all of 11 gets it done in two months. Go figure.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just hired a Jewish chancellor with like 26 Diplomacy and sent him to fabricate a claim, and he fabricated the claim three days later.

:tinfoil:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Chancellor with 23 Diplo can't get a claim done in forty years of sitting on a place. New Chancellor under new ruler with all of 11 gets it done in two months. Go figure.

The first one was probably bribed.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Orv posted:

iirc there's an event where the title owner can find out about the fabrication and bribe the chancellor to never come up with one for like, 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Does the Greedy trait affect a Chancellor's likelihood of accepting bribes? I've always avoided having a Greedy chancellor for that reason but I don't know if it actually matters. I also try to get Honest but that's easier since it's a +2 Diplomacy and thus frequently shows up on Chancellor candidates.

• Locked thread