Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I think I hate this cat the most out of any of the pets in Gilchrist Nancy.

Don't decide until you see another Gilchrist cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well now I know what I need for Christmas, a 5 gallon bottle of bleach with a nozzle that fits snuggly around your eyes... :psyduck:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, gently caress this poo poo. That loving baby-talking mutant makes me want to punch walls.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If I ever met a man who willingly goes by Corky and he's not a seven foot tall lumberjack who works in the cork making industry I will punch him in the face

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Man, gently caress this poo poo. That loving baby-talking mutant makes me want to punch walls.

It's maddening and it really doesn't make sense.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

WIZARDS!

No sense of right or wrong.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Gilchrist's glurge bugs me more every day. I didn't know about Today's Dogg until now, and it makes me want to stomp on his drawing hand about 200 times.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 29, 1951)

Nancy (January 13, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 12, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 11, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 10, 1937)

Barney Google (October 12, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 11, 1934)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kennel posted:

[b]Nancy

The thing that really gets me about this is that there is, indeed, an established target audience of theoretical adults who think "tough-talkin' kitten with a Bronx-ish accent" is the height of comedy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

drat, I had money on that cat being named Ziggy Stardust.

Calaveron posted:

If I ever met a man who willingly goes by Corky and he's not a seven foot tall lumberjack who works in the cork making industry I will punch him in the face

What if he's from Ireland?

What if he's a sommelier?

What if he's a member of a Canadian musical comedy act that was popular in the nineties?

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 22, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Who actually eats gingerbread houses?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, he was real hungry having been lost in the woods for who knows how long.

(Rose is Rose is poo poo)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma Donation Special

...You know, that's something else I find remarkable about South Korea. Within our lifetimes, this country was a literal dictatorship. The elected President at the time this cartoon was published was the daughter of a previous dictator, using actual dictatorial methods to try and silence dissent. Yet for all this, even political dissidents had a great deal of confidence in the inherently civic nature of their government. This continues into the present day, where protests are ongoing to get rid of said President because she's been discovered to be a loopy old woman who's been taken for a ride in a literal cult.

This is something that comes to mind a lot these days when I see people freaking out about Donald Trump- a man who hasn't done anything yet, where it's not even clear what he wants to do yet, where the opposition had an entire year to mobilize against him and failed, and yet apparently the founding principles of our government have collapsed overnight and within a few months there's going to be death camps for gay people. I read about the ability of the South Korean people to put up with this poo poo, and that's when I think to myself, you know, people in my country really need to get a loving grip on reality.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

...You know, that's something else I find remarkable about South Korea. Within our lifetimes, this country was a literal dictatorship. The elected President at the time this cartoon was published was the daughter of a previous dictator, using actual dictatorial methods to try and silence dissent. Yet for all this, even political dissidents had a great deal of confidence in the inherently civic nature of their government. This continues into the present day, where protests are ongoing to get rid of said President because she's been discovered to be a loopy old woman who's been taken for a ride in a literal cult.

This is something that comes to mind a lot these days when I see people freaking out about Donald Trump- a man who hasn't done anything yet, where it's not even clear what he wants to do yet, where the opposition had an entire year to mobilize against him and failed, and yet apparently the founding principles of our government have collapsed overnight and within a few months there's going to be death camps for gay people. I read about the ability of the South Korean people to put up with this poo poo, and that's when I think to myself, you know, people in my country really need to get a loving grip on reality.

I just wish that rear end in a top hat in Gambia hadn't retracted his concession.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I read about the ability of the South Korean people to put up with this poo poo, and that's when I think to myself, you know, people in my country really need to get a loving grip on reality.

Kindly go gently caress yourself if you're pretending like a lot of people won't suffer a lot in the next 4 years.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

People don't want to read more Trump victory laps in the comic strip thread dipshit.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

Kindly go gently caress yourself if you're pretending like a lot of people won't suffer a lot in the next 4 years.

Kindly go gently caress yourself if you think things wouldn't be just as bad under Hillary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Kindly go gently caress yourself if you think things wouldn't be just as bad under Hillary.

I was not aware Hillary Clinton would nominate Rick Perry for Secretary of Energy. Who'd have guessed it?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Aztec posted:

Please go be a moron in C-SPAM and leave the comics thread alone.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I genuinely miss the old Mary Worth artist. Not that this new one is bad, in fact she's very competent, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi when it isn't some alternate universe filled with pantsuit wearing clones of the same 7 people.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is one cool deer.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

I was not aware Hillary Clinton would nominate Rick Perry for Secretary of Energy. Who'd have guessed it?

She may not have gotten Rick Perry, but she would still have been nasty in other ways

Stultus Maximus posted:

Typical. You yell at me, and not at ImpAtom for starting it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Can we please not? I appreciate that we all have VIEWS, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who comes here to NOT think about the political shitshow for a few minutes.

Luann

:smith: Poor Les is so used to people making GBS threads on him he just puts up with it now. He can't do what he ought to and say, "Yeah, I was planning to pay with this HUGE WAD OF MONEY, but I guess you're not into that. Oh well, I'm sure the jewelry store across the street would be happy to accept this HUGE WAD OF MONEY."

That huge wad of money is almost definitely from his charity scam, by the way. This doesn't mean I don't like Les or don't think he's been mistreated. It's more that the Evanses have this tendency to make their "villains" way more likeable and relatable than their heroes, so they try to throw in some broad mustache twirling every once in a while in an attempt to make us hate them again and it's so transparent that it fails utterly.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Typical. You yell at me, and not at ImpAtom for starting it.

Well technically I started it but only because it was relevant to what I was posting. South Korea is undergoing an actual literal constitutional crisis right now, and I find it really jarring how they're able to handle that better than we can just losing an election.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

...Because seriously most politics is just milquetoast dumb stuff like this. That the winner is a louder buffoon than usual doesn't fundamentally change the rules of the game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

I agree completely, it's good to see someone with some sanity around here

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

spit on my clit posted:

I agree completely, it's good to see someone with some sanity around here

Don't blame me. I voted for Bernie!
:bern101:

Also, LoL at Peter Parker carrying MJ's purse. I thought that was an edit the other day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Well technically I started it but only because it was relevant to what I was posting. South Korea is undergoing an actual literal constitutional crisis right now, and I find it really jarring how they're able to handle that better than we can just losing an election.

...Because seriously most politics is just milquetoast dumb stuff like this. That the winner is a louder buffoon than usual doesn't fundamentally change the rules of the game.

The president is going to be someone who thinks Climate Change is a lie made up by China. The fact that you consider that 'milquetoast dumb stuff' is a problem with you, not everyone else.

The fact that you're wringing your hands and going 'oh gosh why are people being so mean??" is absurd. This is, in fact, an extremely serious issue that is going to impact a whole lot of people's lives, health and safety in countless ways. You should be ashamed of telling people to shut up about what is going to hurt themselves and their family because "South Korea isn't doing it!"

Not to mention I don't even get why you brought it into the comic thread.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 22, 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I see Jostens' already aggressive marketing department went hard after the Newspaper Spider-Man dollar.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The president is going to be someone who thinks Climate Change is a lie made up by China. The fact that you consider that 'milquetoast dumb stuff' is a problem with you, not everyone else.

The fact that you're wringing your hands and going 'oh gosh why are people being so mean??" is absurd. This is, in fact, an extremely serious issue that is going to impact a whole lot of people's lives, health and safety in countless ways. You should be ashamed of telling people to shut up about what is going to hurt themselves and their family because "South Korea isn't doing it!"

Not to mention I don't even get why you brought it into the comic thread.

The South Korean people have had a President for the past four years who thought priests in the Korean version of Scientology could let her talk to her dead mom. Said President utilized her experience as defacto first lady in a previous dictatorship to try and bully people who wanted an explanation for why their children died. In the context of the (2014) comic I posted, people were actually being jailed for this poo poo.

Given Park Seong-hoon's general antipathy when it comes to the conservative South Korean government, that comic honestly confused me at first, what with its explicitly telling people to donate to a government office that was technically under conservative control. But see, it makes sense when you consider that Park Seong-hoon (much like Chief Dharma himself) is inherently an optimist, and that attitude eventually paid off with the liberal parties' landslide in elections this year when they were projected to lose. That's what I mean by perspective. If you really think Trump's that scary, go kick his rear end in 2018. Because if the liberals could beat Park Geun-hye before anyone even knew how big a kook she really was, they sure as hell better be able to beat Trump when that information is public knowledge.

(this seems off-topic but I don't know, you all are always asking for Korean cultural context and really, this is a way bigger philosophical gap right now than, say, the corporate stuff, which is increasingly samey in this current internationalist environment)

Pastry of the Year posted:

I see Jostens' already aggressive marketing department went hard after the Newspaper Spider-Man dollar.

So is that little dingy there supposed to be a clue for whatever guest star Spider-Man is teaming up with this time? I know nothing about comics so I'm just guessing Rocket Raccoon.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Some Guy TT posted:

So, wait, is this non-partisan donation thing the reason a former SK President got impeached for supporting his own party's candidates during an election, like because the money has to come from this non-partisan source, or is that a separate campaign law? I have absolutely no context for that event other than it being mentioned as the only other time one of their presidents had been impeached in an article about the ongoing situation with Park Geun-hye.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The South Korean people have had a President for the past four years who thought priests in the Korean version of Scientology could let her talk to her dead mom. Said President utilized her experience as defacto first lady in a previous dictatorship to try and bully people who wanted an explanation for why their children died. In the context of the (2014) comic I posted, people were actually being jailed for this poo poo.

Okay. That doesn't actually change anything though. The things Donald Trump either believes in or is willing to pay enough lip service to believing in to actually influence policy are serious enough to cause major irreparable damage. 2018 is far enough away that damage can become incredibly significant. "Go and beat Trump in 2018!!" doesn't actually mean anything when two years is more than enough time to gut things people literally depend on to stay alive and healthy. Telling someone they 'don't have a grip on reality' because they're not stoically going 'oh well, better suffer until 2018" is really not cool. Those people absolutely do have a grip on reality because it is their reality for at least the next two years and that's assuming that the system that is explicitly rigged against a lot of groups due to gerrymandering and voter suppression allows them to do something in 2018.

And if I was too snappish at you then I do apologize but having spent half the night listening to someone crying and terrified not because of 'maybes' but because of actual stated intended policy I'm not exactly prone to being sympathetic towards cries of "oh it's not THAT bad!!" when in all honest 'not that bad' would still be extremely bad and 2018 is a long-rear end way away for people who this is going to impact the most.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. That doesn't actually change anything though. The things Donald Trump either believes in or is willing to pay enough lip service to believing in to actually influence policy are serious enough to cause major irreparable damage. 2018 is far enough away that damage can become incredibly significant. "Go and beat Trump in 2018!!" doesn't actually mean anything when two years is more than enough time to gut things people literally depend on to stay alive and healthy. Telling someone they 'don't have a grip on reality' because they're not stoically going 'oh well, better suffer until 2018" is really not cool. Those people absolutely do have a grip on reality because it is their reality for at least the next two years and that's assuming that the system that is explicitly rigged against a lot of groups due to gerrymandering and voter suppression allows them to do something in 2018.

And if I was too snappish at you then I do apologize but having spent half the night listening to someone crying and terrified not because of 'maybes' but because of actual stated intended policy I'm not exactly prone to being sympathetic towards cries of "oh it's not THAT bad!!" when in all honest 'not that bad' would still be extremely bad and 2018 is a long-rear end way away for people who this is going to impact the most.

I'm a bisexual transgender woman married to a heterosexual cisgender woman and I am frankly terrified, but I don't think the Comic Strip Megathread is the best place to discuss that.

Have a comic!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Aleph Null posted:

Have a comic!

Still waiting for a comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Have a comic!

Well, that's just going too far.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aleph Null posted:

Have a comic!

Great, now if we stop talking about politics we're letting the terrorists win.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SomeMathGuy posted:

So, wait, is this non-partisan donation thing the reason a former SK President got impeached for supporting his own party's candidates during an election, like because the money has to come from this non-partisan source, or is that a separate campaign law? I have absolutely no context for that event other than it being mentioned as the only other time one of their presidents had been impeached in an article about the ongoing situation with Park Geun-hye.

I'm not well-versed enough in recent South Korean history to answer that, but I would guess the current laws were specifically designed to counter that situation. Because that's what you're supposed to do when the leader does bad things. Fight them as they happen, not get hung about hypothetical situations that might never actually come to pass.

Aleph Null posted:

Have a comic!

As an example I am going to try to fight this bad comic with a good comic instead of panicking about the incoming whatababypocalypse. Let's hope the next Chief Dharma in sequence is a good comic.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Hm, this may be relevant to our current situation.

Mods please change thread title to...uh I guess anything is good enough really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Stultus Maximus posted:

We have enough morons in CSPAM as it is, thanks.

• Locked thread